Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/boom-or-bu...022-nba-draft/

Thinking of Dieng at nine keeps me up at night, I'm not going to lie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d take my chances on Davis at 9 and Dieng at 25. Although I hardly think Davis is a boom-or-bust candidate, because of his tenacity on the court plus his 100% compe iveness. Something is just bound to be right with that compe ive at ude.

Dieng on the other hand scares me with his seemingly “soft” at ude. He has Diaw-esque skills-set, but also could be Diaw’s laissez-faire at ude. But if he puts it together, the kid could be very special.

Spurs Fan In Milan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please no Dieng, AJ Griffin, PBJ and Kessler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Essentially the FO has three picks to sort something out in the 1st round. I guess the mystery in all this is what trade they pull off on draft night. Can’t realistically see them keeping all four draft picks. Something’s got to give. The FO cannot afford to screw this up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it’s a given that our three picks will become two. As bizarre as it sounds, the Spurs don’t just give up on time they spent on their gleague projects, whom are right now DJ Steward, Cacok, Woodard, and maybe even KBD. There are only so many roster spots and the Spurs value continuity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d take my chances on Davis at 9 and Dieng at 25. Although I hardly think Davis is a boom-or-bust candidate, because of his tenacity on the court plus his 100% compe iveness. Something is just bound to be right with that compe ive at ude.

Dieng on the other hand scares me with his seemingly “soft” at ude. He has Diaw-esque skills-set, but also could be Diaw’s laissez-faire at ude. But if he puts it together, the kid could be very special.
    No offesne but Boris had 5 Diengs in every finger. Actually, they're pretty different players. Boris was MVP of the french league at 18 and was already a do-it-all BB scientist... Dieng is a still very raw, soft young player, with a suspect/work in progress shoot, limited off ball game (questions on his BBIQ)... He is the definition of potential, basically due to his size (that can actually become a disavantage since he wouldn't be quick enough for a wing and too soft for a big in the NBA) would take years to develop or not...

He's not that high regarded in France, and definitely not like TP, Boris or Batum at his age, but precisely preceived as a raw player with potential, which we know NBA GMs are obsessed with nowadays.

So yeah, you're right... Maybe taking a flier on him at 20 or 25 but in a draft where spurs can't afford to fail, it's a huge pass on Dieng at 9. Too risky.
    Last edited by JPB; 06-22-2022 at 05:45 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the writeup, timvp!

I'm all in on Davis. He seems extremely Spurs-y and he puts in the work by all accounts. That FT percentage tells me that Chip can probably fix his shotmaking, and the development team is very good at getting players to clean up their mistakes over time.

Conversely, I want no part of Dieng(Livio Jean Charles part II) or Hardy(worse Primo). I mostly trust the Spurs FO, but sometimes they see certain prospects with rose-colored glasses and it all goes to .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deing at 9 should keep you up at night.

Its clear that there is a big fat demarcation line starting at 9 in this draft and because of that I can see the Spurs talking themselves into a player mocked way later in the draft. Deing, Jalen Williams, Mark Williams all come to mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, 12 to 16 is “way later in the draft” from 9. Give me a break.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a bit interested in Hardy. If the feel is that he can get rid of his bad decision making and get better at defense. But he's riding a lot of "But he was ranked #5 in the draft at the beginning of the season!" lines. I'm getting annoyed with the "he was good in high school" narratives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I share the concerns with Dieng and do not want him at 9 bc of a very high bust potential. If he's available later in the first and they like him a lot, sure, but as he is I think he's more likely to bust than pan out. That's how low I am on him. He reminded me of Livio Jean Charles bc he was all just physical tools but couldn't do anything well enough to be an NBA player.

You are right with the Samanic comparison as well in that the shooting and skills are all theoretical. He hasn't shown that those skills are nearly good enough and he needs a to improve in several areas to become an NBA player, otherwise you can't play him. His upside is not through the roof either, so I am not up for that risk at 9. If he puts things together he could be a Nic Batum type, but it's likely he's nowhere near as good of a shooter.

He could develop of course, but it's going to take time. Risky choice at 9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp, I can't help but notice that 4 out of 5 of these prospects are SG, and from the reports I've been reading here, the Spurs seem to be eyeing another guard.

Is there fire to this smoke, and if so, what does that say about the future of Murray, Walker (probably already gone), Primo, Jones, Richardson, and Langford?

I know consensus is you draft for best talent available, but we spent last season with a logjam at guard and sorely need size at the forward positions, and free agency hasn't exactly been kind to the Spurs in the past few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think Davis belongs in this group. To me he has a high floor because of his defense, ballhandling, intangibles and overall effort. Even if his shot doesn’t improve enough he still offers a lot in a sort of a Derrick White way. He’s the exact type of player who could grow within a couple of years to be able to play 30+ minutes in the playoffs in today’s NBA, which you can’t say for a lot of players projected to go around 9.

That said, I believe in his shot and that his inefficiency is mostly due to the situation he was in. My issue with his game is that he may not be able to get enough separation against elite athletes or get to the rim at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea been saying Dieng at 9 would suck a fat one but that I could see the Spurs going full-Spurs on Draft night and doing it. Let’s hope they’re smarter than that. The fact they haven’t had him in for a workout at all gives me some hope.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No offesne but Boris had 5 Diengs in every finger. Actually, they're pretty different players. Boris was MVP of the french league at 18 and was already a do-it-all BB scientist... Dieng is a still very raw, soft young player, with a suspect/work in progress shoot, limited off ball game (questions on his BBIQ)... He is the definition of potential, basically due to his size (that can actually become a disavantage since he wouldn't be quick enough for a wing and too soft for a big in the NBA) would take years to develop or not...

He's not that high regarded in France, and definitely not like TP, Boris or Batum at his age, but precisely preceived as a raw player with potential, which we know NBA GMs are obsessed with nowadays.

So yeah, you're right... Maybe taking a flier on him at 20 or 25 but in a draft where spurs can't afford to fail, it's a huge pass on Dieng at 9. Too risky.
    Thanks for this very informative/honest take on him. Great info. I was very interested in him, but I had visions of Boris Diaw and TP. It seems like it would be very risky to take him at number 9. I don't think I'd have a problem with it if he's still there on the board with one of the other first round picks. I really liked a lot of the french players that played in the NBA, so I kind of don't view them objectively enough. Even a guy like Ronny Turiaf who didn't have great stats, I would have liked to have had him on the Spurs.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should I be relieved that Tari Eason isn’t on this list? Lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I always thought Boris would’ve been multiple All-Star had he care more. He had all the skills and had the vertical higher than Amare, on his flip flop. But he was a journeyman before he got to tge Sours, and averaged 8 pts. Come on. The guy had more potential than that. And do you see him throw dunks thunderously or send his defender flying? Just look ar his body if that’s not the body of someone who had one too many chocolat croissant.

That’s the point I’m making. Yes Boris found success. But he could’ve been so much more. And I’m afraid Dieng could take the same with his “soft” around the basket. BUT, it could be just the finesse side of him. Still I want him to have tenacity, be more aggressive if I would draft him at 25.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My original dream was SA trading into another lottery pick and getting Sochan + Eason. Now my dream I’ve landed on is Johnny + Sochan. That would be a dream draft for me. If Johnny isn’t the guy at 9 I hope it’s Sochan

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis + Sochan = a dream scenario considering how many bad ways this could go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I hope the Spurs are aggressive getting into the late lottery area. I see that Tier as running into that range and worth jumping.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should I be relieved that Tari Eason isn’t on this list? Lol.
    Eason is likely going in that 15-18 range. Houston at 17 apparently really likes him. So if the Spurs actually wanted him, they’d likely have to move up with Atlanta at 16 at the latest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always thought Boris would’ve been multiple All-Star had he care more. He had all the skills and had the vertical higher than Amare, on his flip flop. But he was a journeyman before he got to tge Sours, and averaged 8 pts. Come on. The guy had more potential than that. And do you see him throw dunks thunderously or send his defender flying? Just look ar his body if that’s not the body of someone who had one too many chocolat croissant.

That’s the point I’m making. Yes Boris found success. But he could’ve been so much more. And I’m afraid Dieng could take the same with his “soft” around the basket. BUT, it could be just the finesse side of him. Still I want him to have tenacity, be more aggressive if I would draft him at 25.
    Dieng is the typical high ceiling low floor prospect.. Spurs should not draft him at 9. He is typically a middle second round pick.

Dieng like Boris is viewing bb different than american players, their goal is absolutely not to score but play as a team. They rather share the ball than scoring. Dieng needs to bulk up a lot but could lose his quickness for it. At this point he is a 2/3 years development away to contribute even lightly to any ambitious nba team. Defense is the biggest issue he can't defend smaller players due to lacking lateral quickness and he cannot stay in front of strong forwards or centers, he is bullied literally near the basket. I've seen him play with INSEP, I've never thought of him being a NBA player tbh but would not be the first time I'm wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the report Brazil. He gave me Livio Jean Charles vibes. I also could be wrong but I'd pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every year around this time, we usually discuss who the spurs will pick with their one 1st round pick, but this year we have 3 . Instead of arguing over a few options for a pick, we're talking about a dozen players if not more for the picks. Possibilities with trades of a pick or two also add to the mix. It's enough to give you a head ache.

The spurs have never had so many choices or possibilities to change things in one draft night. I'm just hoping from 4 choices we get a least two right. This year we had a lot of dead salary that we paid out to athletes that did next to nothing for us, hopefully we get something back for our financial efforts.

We did the first part of taking on salary for picks, now lets make the good draft selections or even trades (even though the spurs hardly ever trade on draft night). Make it a good night tomorrow, its a great opportunity to move the franchise in a positive direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every year around this time, we usually discuss who the spurs will pick with their one 1st round pick, but this year we have 3 . Instead of arguing over a few options for a pick, we're talking about a dozen players if not more for the picks. Possibilities with trades of a pick or two also add to the mix. It's enough to give you a head ache.

The spurs have never had so many choices or possibilities to change things in one draft night. I'm just hoping from 4 choices we get a least two right. This year we had a lot of dead salary that we paid out to athletes that did next to nothing for us, hopefully we get something back for our financial efforts.

We did the first part of taking on salary for picks, now lets make the good draft selections or even trades (even though the spurs hardly ever trade on draft night). Make it a good night tomorrow, its a great opportunity to move the franchise in a positive direction.
    LOL this is why I don't follow the draft too closely. Definitely one of the most exciting drafts we've had in a long time, but there are about a thousand possibilities for what could happen tomorrow night...some people will be happy and some people won't.

I'll watch the draft, we will all speculate for a few months, and then we'll see how the cards play out. Not losing any sleep over it.

Thread Information