Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Money-wise it would make very little sense for Derozan to just leave without opting in. He has stated playing is not about the money so maybe it's a good thing he just leaves vs opting-in and staying at SA for another year. It is good that it both benefits Derozan and Spurs would want him to opt-in and look for a trade. Teams would want him to just sign out right or wait a year to sign though. Spurs new GM hopefully can navigate a good trade this offseason for at least him and hopefully LMA/Rudy Gay/and Mills too.
    Last edited by SpursDynasty85; 09-29-2020 at 07:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Money-wise it would make very little sense for Derozan to just leave without opting in. He has stated playing is not about the money so maybe it's a good thing he just leaves vs opting-in and staying at SA for another year. It is good that it both Derozan and Spurs would want him to opt-in and look for a trade. Teams would want him to just sign out right or wait a year to sign though. Spurs new GM hopefully can navigate a good trade this offseason for at least him and hopefully LMA/Rudy Gay/and Mills too.

You can't just trade all our vets and think the answer is just letting our young players play. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Time and time again, young teams implode. I am all full trading Gay and Mills for better fits, though. But if you are trading away DD and LMA, you kinda need Gay and Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't just trade all our vets and think the answer is just letting our young players play. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Time and time again, young teams implode. I am all full trading Gay and Mills for better fits, though. But if you are trading away DD and LMA, you kinda need Gay and Mills.
    Most of our young guys have already played with the vets plenty. Maybe or maybe not but I think White and especially Keldon can lead a young team. It's not like we need to compete for a championship yet but I assume we will have to bring in a high contract vet or two to get some 1st rounders or decent prospects back. I can see keeping one or two of LMA and Patty.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am all in for moving vets if we get something in return if not let them all ride out there last year ie. LMA , DEROZZ, Rudy, Mills. Etc.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do y’all feel about targeting Chris Paul for Demar?

I don’t hate the idea. Maybe we can also get a Future 1st if we throw in Murray.

Chris Paul/Patty
    White/Lonnie
    Johnson/Luka
    LA/Lyles
    Poetle/1st?

Why would the Spurs do this? Unless you think this would make us a competing team we would be taking on a worse contract and an older player.
    Last edited by talkspurs; 09-29-2020 at 10:29 PM. Reason: forgot quote

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him. Let's go all in on tanking and get an actual blue chip lottery player to build around.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would the Spurs do this? Unless you think this would make us a competing team we would be taking on a worse contract and an older player.
    For picks. Though it would be Paul + picks for DeRozan + Gay or something like that, which would lower OKC's payroll $44 million for 2022. Personally for taking that much dead money I'd want SGA instead of picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For picks. Though it would be Paul + picks for DeRozan + Gay or something like that, which would lower OKC's payroll $44 million for 2022. Personally for taking that much dead money I'd want SGA instead of picks.
    Good point. Dipping into OKC's wealth of draft picks might be worth taking on Paul's contract.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A competent front office would trade him, which means the spurs are definitely going to run it back with DeRozan ball and secure the 11th seed!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horrible contract to take on for the bad picks we would get back. They would be late first round picks. I would not take paul at this time as the team and him are at different points. OKC has also said they were not willing to trade their picks to get rid of him. This could change but I think anything we get back would be small.

the post also did not mention picks but as I said even if that was his point the picks would not be good.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horrible contract to take on for the bad picks we would get back. They would be late first round picks. I would not take paul at this time as the team and him are at different points. OKC has also said they were not willing to trade their picks to get rid of him. This could change but I think anything we get back would be small.

the post also did not mention picks but as I said even if that was his point the picks would not be good.
    Yeah I wouldn't do it either unless they gave up SGA. And OKC wouldn't do that to save $44 million in 2022 payroll since they're not in luxury tax territory for 2021 and beyond any more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Uh, if they’re trading CP3, they’ll be a lottery team. He was their focus, and what got them into the playoffs. DD and RG have shown they can’t lead a team to the playoffs, even with young talent.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can definitely see Milwaukee being interested, especially since all the pressure is on the FO to build a true contender for next season or else Giannis bolts. With DD only having a year left on his contract, that's a great fit and no long-term damage done if they don't win it all. But I don't see how the Spurs get that trade off without some sort of bad salary coming our way, most likely Bledsoe. It would depend on the picks involved... There's a real chance MWK goes back to the bottom of the barrel, in the near future. It's a risk I'd definitely take, since we get the added bonus of a Derozan-less team.

I can't see the Knicks trading for DD/LMA at all. They're very stupid, but not that much. Charlotte I think has finally learned the lesson after the Kemba situation - I could see a trade if DD was more marketable, but he's not really a guy that puts butts in seats. I also haven't heard any reports of the Hornets looking for a player like him.
    That's an interesting Milwaukee take... I hadn't considered future 1st's after a possible Giannis bolt.... good thought...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you move LMA, sign Tyson Chandler to mentor Jakob or whatever young big we draft...real pro..good locker room guy...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you move LMA, sign Tyson Chandler to mentor Jakob or whatever young big we draft...real pro..good locker room guy...
    Yep...total team player, with a recent history of taking one for the team...like when a teammate violates bubble-protocol for some extra-curricular activities...I wonder how his wife felt about his team-first at ude...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can probably trade one of LA/DD to a contender or maybe both, if DD decides to opt in. A few teams might be interested in adding LMA for a year to give them a serious push (BOS, BKN, MIA) in the frontcourt so i think he may be easier to trade.

I think a Hayward for Aldridge swap be solid for both teams. Assuming DD opts in of course, because there is room on the roster for one of them but definitely not both. And DD played well in the bubble and looked good with the young guys and is slightly younger than LMA so i think i would prefer to keep DD over LMA at this point anyway
    Maga Hayward just sprained his ankle reading about this trade proposal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nooo Spurs 4 Lyfe DeRozan

DeMar in the rafters HOF

I need my jersey to be worth something!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only we already had someone who could mentor Jakob...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering DDR value has sky rocketed after last season (with his best numbers of his life) and more aftrr the bubble (I mean compared to his value at the beginning of the season, as he was considered at the time a non factor anymore in wiew of the new basketball tendencies) I think that we can rigthly sell him for a lottery pick, if the lottery team is enticed to sel the pick by their peculiar situation (downloading bad contracts).

Of the mentioned teams :

GS
    could trade for both DDR (a more reliable player than Wiggins, that's for sure) and Gay (they have their Iguodala trade exception)
    Considering their situation for next year is probably an all in one (Curry, Thompson and Green are not that young anymore, Wiggins is a more than downloadable player and contract) they could sacrifice n° 2 draft pick if they are not in love with the names coming out of it...
    so GS trade n° 2, Wiggins and use the Iguodala trade exception for DDR and Gay

Detroit
    Considering Casey relationship with DDR they could see him as the ideal man to send them back to the play offs and they absolutely need to download, if possible, Griffin contract
    so Detroit trade n° 7 plus Griffin and Doumbaya for DDR and Gay

NY
    Considering their horrible record last years, they are quite in the same situation as Detroit excepy for the fact that their supposed new young hope has a game similar to DDR...but having to choose between a sure thing and a developing one they could decide to opt for the former
    so NY trade n° 8 plus whoever they want (most of their contracts runs just for another year) for DDR or DDR and Gay

I don't see a possible Milwaukee package and in any case I don't see such package worth considering... (I wouldn't touch Bledsoe with a pole...)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering DDR value has sky rocketed after last season (with his best numbers of his life) and more aftrr the bubble (I mean compared to his value at the beginning of the season, as he was considered at the time a non factor anymore in wiew of the new basketball tendencies) I think that we can rigthly sell him for a lottery pick, if the lottery team is enticed to sel the pick by their peculiar situation (downloading bad contracts).

Of the mentioned teams :

GS
    could trade for both DDR (a more reliable player than Wiggins, that's for sure) and Gay (they have their Iguodala trade exception)
    Considering their situation for next year is probably an all in one (Curry, Thompson and Green are not that young anymore, Wiggins is a more than downloadable player and contract) they could sacrifice n° 2 draft pick if they are not in love with the names coming out of it...

Detroit
    Considering Casey relationship with DDR they could see him as the ideal man to send them back to the play offs and they absolutely need to download, if possible, Griffin contract

NY
    Considering their horrible record last years, they are quite in the same situation as Detroit excepy for the fact that their supposed new young hope has a game similar to DDR...but having to choose between a sure thing and a developing one they could decide to opt for the former
    so NY trade n° 8 plus whoever they want (most of their contracts runs just for another year) for DDR or DDR and Gay

I don't see a possible Milwaukee package and in any case I don't see such package worth considering... (I wouldn't touch Bledsoe with a pole...)
    All these trades would just mess up the Spurs cap space for 2021. If they trade, they need to get back expiring contracts

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Of the mentioned teams :

GS

Detroit

NY

They might have reasons to do these trade with Spurs but why do Spurs wanna do it? These trade will give the Spurs longer term bad contracts and probably more players to develop than there's game time.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They might have reasons to do these trade with Spurs but why do Spurs wanna do it? These trade will give the Spurs longer term bad contracts and probably more players to develop than there's game time.
    All these trades would just mess up the Spurs cap space for 2021. If they trade, they need to get back expiring contracts
    NY
    i really dont see a randle as a bad contract neither the other players whos 1yr contract left as long as we could get their pick.

GSW
    wiggins contract is awful and theres not debatable but he can be useful replacement for ddr. Plus 2nd pick. Its worth to consider.

DET
    the idea of bringing griffin is just stupid

Otherwise do we really need so much cap space in 2021?? San antonio isnt the favourite place for FAs + we wont be a contender so i dont see any reason why the best FAs would want to come here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed 2021 as far as free agents is a pipe dream as big names will not come over knowing an organization change is right around the corner. The only hope is to tank in 2021 which New York and all the East teams will be doing hard and hope to get in the top 5.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about the big FA that we know the Spurs cannot get it's to provide the Spurs with more flexibility when going after players. If the Spurs is not over the Cap they could move any players instead of moving Bertans to sign Carroll

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NY
    i really dont see a randle as a bad contract neither the other players whos 1yr contract left as long as we could get their pick.

GSW
    wiggins contract is awful and theres not debatable but he can be useful replacement for ddr. Plus 2nd pick. Its worth to consider.

DET
    the idea of bringing griffin is just stupid

Otherwise do we really need so much cap space in 2021?? San antonio isnt the favourite place for FAs + we wont be a contender so i dont see any reason why the best FAs would want to come here.
    IMHO all es make sense, simply because our best way to find all star caliber players for our team and city is developing draft picks ....
    Also the Detroit one (that's probably the most possible simply because we take back the horrible Griffin cotract for two years) simply because we looked to have interest in Doumbaya last draft and he's a profile we really need (mobile and athletic big).
    It just depends if:
    a) we are really kean on rebuild at the point of sacrificing our best players (like it or not DDR is our best player nowadays);
    b) other teams are desperate enough to win now (being it to be again a le contender or finally be back on the play offs) to sacrifice good hopes of a good player (these are draft picks, also if lottery ones) for sure things...

Imho point a) should be a right choice, considering that the only limit to a rebuilding (also rebuilding on the fly) strategy was probably our playoffs streak record...that now has gone. The choice in this sense looks right also considering that most of our big players contracts (DDR, LMA, Lyles, Mills, Gay) will be over after next year, so being extremely valuable in a double sense of 1) being veterans contract of players well known to contribute immediately and b) being expiring contracts, giving the aquiring team the chance to choose in a year's space to extend said contracts or free their cap.

Point b) just depends by other teams strategies and opportunities...
    Some teams, imho, desperately need veteran players kean to winning as their absolute priority, being ring chasing or just play offs for going out from a losing situation.

of the ring chasin teams, GS for example has no way to entice free agents (no more cap space) and a win now window...Phila looks the same (but they heve no lottery picks for us)
    of the play offs chasing teams NY and Detroit are for sure good examples, but Charlotte could be another one
    Another team in search for both (play offs and dreaming something more) but desperate for create a winning colture is Minny...

For some of these teams our veterans or some of them could rapresent the best opportunities to improve in the short term enough to help them in their immediate goals a lot more than a lottery draft pick, expecially in a draft considered lotery weak, could do ...

Thread Information