My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Article: Bryn Forbes adjusting to life off the bench
    11:59 on the clock in the 1st Quarter
    Time Out!!! Lonnie wtf was that bull effort. Sit your ass on the bench. Bryn get in here

Pop already in regular season mode

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are shaking our heads right with you and trying to make sense of this. My comments are all over ... thanks for the grades as always.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the preseason. The team is in rebuilding mode. Why not throw everything at the wall and see what sticks? Sub Luka in the 1st and see how we meshes with vassell and walker. Sub in primo and see if he could capitalize off the momentum from game 1 come on, man...

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Et tu LJ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team is in rebuilding mode.
    Pop may be in denial that the team is in rebuilding mode.

Realistically he had some vets to evaluate, because the team still needs to cut two players, so this was the game he chose to give a lot of minutes to Thad and Aminu. At least that is the way I see it, but it wasn't a pretty picture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades Timvp. I didn’t get to watch the 1st game, and last night only from a Chinese YouTube feed which wasn’t as clear, so I barely could see the plays. But what I saw last night was more like a pickup game. As mentioned grom another thread, Poeltl touches were very predictable, he would pass the ball. I was dissappointed not to see Luka more a C because his PNR with Primo was more cohesive. There was a threat of possibly shooting it from beyond the arch, drive it or take a mid-range. From what I saw, I was pretty happy with the defense of Luka and Jock together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks OP.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is still acting like Timmy, Tony & Manu are still on the team where we have the luxury of developing our players slowly or more like a snail's pace. It makes no sense to play Primo and Samanic so little and players only get better by playing.. it's that simple.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great stuff man. Kind of opened my eyes to different aspects and that was pretty cool...., but when you used preternatural in a sentence around these parts it kind of gave me a mindgasm. Pretty hot.

The last paragraph pretty much summed it up.. Great read and very entertaining. That's why I come here. Best takes in all Spurs fandom, albeit all the trash cans and dumpster fires that take up residence here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My only hope is that Pop gave Aminu and Young more run this game because they got hardly any play against Utah. Instead of giving everyone on the bench a scattered 5-10 minutes, he's spreading it around so that certain guys for certain games can get 10-15 minutes at a time on the floor. Unfortunately, that means other guys who previously got those 15 minutes (like Primo or Samanic) are reduced to garbage time.

It does raise a question about any trade plans...particularly for Young.

It's preseason, and we still have a few more games to figure out what the rotation is ACTUALLY going to look like. I wouldn't be surprised if White or Walker or Poeltl or anybody else (probably not Forbes) gets rested next game just so Pop can play mad scientist...but I'm going to reserve any judgement until we see what the actual regular season rotation looks like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but pop is pulling a larry brown/darko milocic with luka (of course, it turns out that darko was quite a headache off the court). Basically, I have no idea what Luka is like regarding his coachability and his work ethic but if this is just Pop being stubborn, I'm not happy with that. Every time I see Luka, I see samples of a nice skill set. So why he's being given garbage minutes in pre-season is beyond me. And I agree in regards to Primo. One can only hope these two are going to get some more significant minutes in some of the preseason games. I guess if I really want to look on the bright side, our G-League team would be pretty damn good if Primo and Luka headed it.
    Last edited by rjv; 10-07-2021 at 02:30 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sick and tired of Pop, this team desperately needs a new face and a younger one whose relatable to these kids. Would have loved to have been able to get someone like Ime Udoka. It's preseason ffs how are we two games in and the 19th overall pick a couple years ago cant get on the court when it matters just even a little bit. 51 combined minutes for Aminu, Young and Forbes in a preseason game Wtf are we doing here?

Im really pulling for Derrick White but god damn he's 27 years old, just seems like he can't get over that hump everyone expects him to. His ceiling is low at this point and I don't see him improving his game much from here on out. Solid all around player but damn I had high expectations for him and I don't think he'll ever get there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's no surprise Primo got less time, and only late in the game. In the first preseason game he answered basic questions about himself. Is he really an NBA player in prospect? Yes. Is he worth the Spurs time (and money?) Yes. No need to see a lot of him in the second game to answer those questions.

There are other serious questions now, mainly related to the roster size. Two players have to go. The roster has to be at regular season size on the 18th, since the RS begins on the 19th. The Spurs have to look at players other than Primo.

Eleven days, counting today. The clock is ticking, fast. The Spurs have to focus intently on players who might be cut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop may be in denial that the team is in rebuilding mode.

Realistically he had some vets to evaluate, because the team still needs to cut two players, so this was the game he chose to give a lot of minutes to Thad and Aminu. At least that is the way I see it, but it wasn't a pretty picture.
    next game will be telling with pops minute distributions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sick and tired of Pop, this team desperately needs a new face and a younger one whose relatable to these kids. Would have loved to have been able to get someone like Ime Udoka. It's preseason ffs how are we two games in and the 19th overall pick a couple years ago cant get on the court when it matters just even a little bit. 51 combined minutes for Aminu, Young and Forbes in a preseason game Wtf are we doing here?

Im really pulling for Derrick White but god damn he's 27 years old, just seems like he can't get over that hump everyone expects him to. His ceiling is low at this point and I don't see him improving his game much from here on out. Solid all around player but damn I had high expectations for him and I don't think he'll ever get there.
    white seems to always takes a few games to get going. the problem with him is since 2018, evertime he does get going he gets injured. so really only time will tell with DWhite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's preseason...winning the preseason championship isn't the objective...gotta throw them out there and see what works

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once Tre Jones is back and healthy, primo won’t see any minutes what so ever probably lol #PinchePop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate to break this to you, but Primo is in Austin this year. He had a nice SL, where no one cares about playing defense, and was inserted halfway thru the 3rd Q in game one, when he was up against deep bench guys who didn’t care about playing defense. He’s 18 years old, and is not physically or mentally ready for the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's no surprise Primo got less time, and only late in the game. In the first preseason game he answered basic questions about himself. Is he really an NBA player in prospect? Yes. Is he worth the Spurs time (and money?) Yes. No need to see a lot of him in the second game to answer those questions.

There are other serious questions now, mainly related to the roster size. Two players have to go. The roster has to be at regular season size on the 18th, since the RS begins on the 19th. The Spurs have to look at players other than Primo.

Eleven days, counting today. The clock is ticking, fast. The Spurs have to focus intently on players who might be cut.
    Your opinion is basically what I am thinking. The Spurs will need to cut two players and frankly it looks like whoever they decide to cut can play the game. Several players look on an even field. I wasn't any more impressed by Thad than by Aminu. They looked about the same, Thad was better because Aminu lost some lateral movement and seems a little heavier than he used to be... but honestly they were about the same to me and Thad and Drew together wasn't a good combination because Drew sucked at rim protection.... I thought he was awful on D and was taken advantage of every time he was taken to the rack. Jock was better.

I'd keep Samanic because he's 21 years old and has shown some competency at the game, nothing spectacular just enough to where I think he should get more chances to see what he can do against better compe ion.

So Pop is in a bind, if he wants to keep Samanic, he has to cut two of KBD, Aminu, or Drew.

I know Drew has a lot of fans and he's really a compe ive guy but I was turned off by his lack of rim protection. I think Jock can do a better job and one has to consider that Zollins will also be back. I'd give the Drew center minutes to Jock, and play Young with him until he's traded later midseason. When he's traded, then usher in Samanic and lets see what he can do the rest of the season. That would be my recommendation assuming Pop hasn't soured on Luka for some "cancerous" reason.

Alternatively, if you must keep Drew (he’s good enough to keep in the bench if the Spurs didn’t find themselves in this predicament) the it’s likely Aminu and KBD. But we'll see how this goes.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 10-07-2021 at 05:18 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs getting Pop'd was predictable, I wasn't expecting it so soon though. Glad I missed the game beyond the 1st quarter. We'll see what happens next time, but I'm expecting little at this point regarding positive rotations and cohesive schemes.

I know what some ST folks think on this, but come on - Becky can't be this bad, can he? Hand the reigns over, Pop... It's about damn time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate to break this to you, but Primo is in Austin this year. He had a nice SL, where no one cares about playing defense, and was inserted halfway thru the 3rd Q in game one, when he was up against deep bench guys who didn’t care about playing defense. He’s 18 years old, and is not physically or mentally ready for the NBA.
    Right, because he went to college a year early, age-wise, it would be almost like he was going to the NBA straight out of high school. Most guys that young would not make a big dent in the NBA their first year. Really, the only example I can think of that involved a player that young coming in and being a good player right from go was LeBron. So going to the G-League is the right move and the best for him for his career.

We have a lot of young talent that we still don't know what they are because Pop refused to play them last year. He spent too many minutes playing vets to get a shot at a playin. So we can let a first year guy that is 18 years old play a year in the G-League so we can evaluate Vassell, Jones, and hopefully Luka, though he may be done here. But if Luka gets cut and goes elsewhere and becomes a good player, then it will be Pop's fault for refusing to play the guy at all last year in favor of Rudy Gay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Solid write up OP. Paragraph on Pop probably sums up most of our feelings

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other reason that Primo will be in Austin this year is reps. To become what y'all envisions (and what they want him to become, a high option on offense), he needs reps, lots of them, as the first option. Because he hasn't been a high option at any level higher than HS ball. He's not going to get those reps in the NBA, because of DJ, White, Keldon ... (Bryn, FVCK!)

Thread Information