Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well maybe the rumors of relocation will trend down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only just realized it’s a rumor lol no wonder…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A team back in Seattle fixes on of David Stern's worst mistakes, which is saying a lot.

This suggests one team needs to be bumped into the east, right? I would expect it to be Memphis, Minnesota, or New Orleans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awk, but probably still worthy of discussion. I think expansion is a great idea, though I don't like how Seattle couldn't keep a team but has been shoving to the front of the line. It would be nice to see the NBA in places like Louisville or St Louis first. Still, you can't deny the NBA's imprint of Seattle, and Vegas would mean a new state. I don't think this rumor has legs, but the idea might end up being right despite that.

I'm not a person who thinks the NBA is watered down. I think the league can easily make rules to increase parity if they wanted to. There are more than 544 NBA-caliber players in the world. Just do what you need to to bring more of them here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awk, but probably still worthy of discussion. I think expansion is a great idea, though I don't like how Seattle couldn't keep a team but has been shoving to the front of the line.
    They wanted to keep the team. Stern got pissed that the citizens, understandably, balked at giving the billionaire owner a huge new arena at no cost to him. So Stern ripped the team out of their hands and threw it to hole Oklahoma.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A team back in Seattle fixes on of David Stern's worst mistakes, which is saying a lot.

This suggests one team needs to be bumped into the east, right? I would expect it to be Memphis, Minnesota, or New Orleans.
    SA, DAL, HOU, OKC
    LA, LA, LV, PHX
    POR, SEA, GS, SAC
    UTH, DEN, MIN, MKE
    CHI, IND, CLE, DET
    MEM, NO, ORL, MIA
    NY, BRK, BOS, TOR
    WSH, PHL, CHA, ATL

I think it would fit better without two PST teams. But whatever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SA, DAL, HOU, OKC
    LA, LA, LV, PHX
    POR, SEA, GS, SAC
    UTH, DEN, MIN, MKE
    CHI, IND, CLE, DET
    MEM, NO, ORL, MIA
    NY, BRK, BOS, TOR
    WSH, PHL, CHA, ATL

Right, both new ones would be in the WC. I would put CHA and ATL with MEM and NO. They have more cultural similarities. And then WSH, PHL, ORL, MIA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expansion would be good. I can't remember any time where the NBA had as much talent as it currently does, honestly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SA, DAL, HOU, OKC
    LA, LA, LV, PHX
    POR, SEA, GS, SAC
    UTH, DEN, MIN, MKE
    CHI, IND, CLE, DET
    MEM, NO, ORL, MIA
    NY, BRK, BOS, TOR
    WSH, PHL, CHA, ATL

The regional rivalries with a set up like this would be a ton of fun. I love it.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    send the clippers down to san diego or something, its still stupid to have two teams in LA

also reduce the number of games played out of conference, and increase the number of games within the division. make division les more meaningful and add fuel to divisional rivalries, like football and baseball

more games within the divisions would actually then give reason to give divisional winners a top 4 seed automatically, as opposed to in the past where everyone in the conference played each other an equal amount of times, making it stupid in situations like 05-06 with the spurs and mavs getting the 1 and 4 seed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right, both new ones would be in the WC. I would put CHA and ATL with MEM and NO. They have more cultural similarities. And then WSH, PHL, ORL, MIA.
    But, I think St Louis instead of Vegas would be cool

SA, PHX, LA, LA
    MEM, STL, ATL CHA
    HOU, NOP, ORL, MIA
    DEN, UTH, OKC, DAL
    SEA, POR, GS, SAC
    MIN, MKE, IND, CHI
    DET, TOR, BOS, CLE
    NY, PHL, WSH, BRK

Breaks up the Texas Three-step, but it does put each city with others in it regional bubble.

Don't even get me started on if Mexico City was one of the teams.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

SA, PHX, LA, LA
    MEM, STL, ATL CHA
    HOU, NOP, ORL, MIA
    DEN, UTH, OKC, DAL
    SEA, POR, GS, SAC
    MIN, MKE, IND, CHI
    DET, TOR, BOS, CLE
    NY, PHL, WSH, BRK

Breaks up the Texas Three-step, but it does put each city with others in it regional bubble.

what on earth makes you think breaking up a division with SA/HOU/DAL is a good idea?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    send the clippers down to san diego or something, its still stupid to have two teams in LA

also reduce the number of games played out of conference, and increase the number of games within the division. make division les more meaningful and add fuel to divisional rivalries, like football and baseball

more games within the divisions would actually then give reason to give divisional winners a top 4 seed automatically, as opposed to in the past where everyone in the conference played each other an equal amount of times, making it stupid in situations like 05-06 with the spurs and mavs getting the 1 and 4 seed
    Not happening. They just broke ground on a very expensive, very lavish new arena. Opening in 2024.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

SA, PHX, LA, LA
    MEM, STL, ATL CHA
    HOU, NOP, ORL, MIA
    DEN, UTH, OKC, DAL
    SEA, POR, GS, SAC
    MIN, MKE, IND, CHI
    DET, TOR, BOS, CLE
    NY, PHL, WSH, BRK

Completely moronic. Part of the season, this division would have 3 separate time zones. We're closer in flight miles to Miami than Los Angeles.

StL already had a team, and lost it. What next? Cincinnati or Kansas City?
    Last edited by exstatic; 05-24-2022 at 05:36 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was hoping Vancouver will get another team over Vegas and add some more Canadian footprint

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was hoping Vancouver will get another team over Vegas and add some more Canadian footprint
    Franchises that flat out fail rarely get a second chance. I don't put Seattle in that category.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what on earth makes you think breaking up a division with SA/HOU/DAL is a good idea?
    Because it doesn't really matter that every Texas city is in a division? No one said anything about the Cali teams being broken up or the Bucks, Pelicans and Grizz changing conferences in the other example

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only a matter of time. Now move Memphis to the East and call it a day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Completely moronic. Part of the season, this division would have 3 separate time zones.

StL already had a team, and lost it. What next? Cincinnati or Kansas City?
    STL never had an NBA team. They had an ABA team. Also, I'm not against Cinci or KC having teams. Smaller cities can have teams if they can support them. It's okay.

Anyway, why does it matter if there are different time zones? The Spurs often play all three of those teams four times a season right now. It won't be any different. This is ignoring that the current Northwest division currently does the same thing with Minny and OKC being CST, Denver and Utah being MST and Portland being PST.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Because it doesn't really matter that every Texas city is in a division? No one said anything about the Cali teams being broken up or the Bucks, Pelicans and Grizz changing conferences in the other example
    Texas is a worldwide brand of it's own

NBA conferences are not

regardless you didn't answer the question of how it's a good idea.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

NBA conferences are not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could see Dejounte wanting to play for Seattle at some point in his career tbh. Sooner or later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

NBA conferences are not

So is California (and more so). Dunno why you skipped over that. Texas is Texas, and that doesn't change just because the teams aren't in the same division. The NBA used to be unique for having Texas teams together, and MLB joining them was seen as a black eye for many Astros fans. There are definitely cultural ties between Central Texas and California that run through multiple cultures. As SA expands its reach into Mexico and Austin, that becomes even more apparent. It actually makes a lot of sense from a marketing perspective to have the actual Southwest cities together. Houston, NOP, ORL and MIA are all Gulf coast cities and have their own histories. Houston can go either way and tech into a Middle South culture with Memphis, but those four cities fit really well together on their own without Houston. Dallas and OKC make a ton of sense as rivals. I'd rather then be with Memphis and STL in this scenario, but as I mentioned, STL, MEM, ATL and CHA fit too well together, and someone needs to pick up Denver and Utah. Given the recent cultural trends in Dallas and Denver, I think the fit is just fine with those cities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forgone conclusion it’s Vegas and Seattle. Seattle to the north west Vegas to the pacific.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    So is California (and more so). Dunno why you skipped over that. Texas is Texas, and that doesn't change just because the teams aren't in the same division. The NBA used to be unique for having Texas teams together, and MLB joining them was seen as a black eye for many Astros fans. There are definitely cultural ties between Central Texas and California that run through multiple cultures. As SA expands its reach into Mexico and Austin, that becomes even more apparent. It actually makes a lot of sense from a marketing perspective to have the actual Southwest cities together. Houston, NOP, ORL and MIA are all Gulf coast cities and have their own histories. Houston can go either way and tech into a Middle South culture with Memphis, but those four cities fit really well together on their own without Houston. Dallas and OKC make a ton of sense as rivals. I'd rather then be with Memphis and STL in this scenario, but as I mentioned, STL, MEM, ATL and CHA fit too well together, and someone needs to pick up Denver and Utah. Given the recent cultural trends in Dallas and Denver, I think the fit is just fine with those cities.
    hm so basically you think putting teams with cultural similarities in divisions together is beneficial for basketball.

how? because tbqh history has proven otherwise.

Thread Information