My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    DMC

You should've punted the site June 2015.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, I thought the 2013 Spurs were trash (relatively speaking, of course) for barely being able to beat the 2013 Warriors. Turns out that the 2013 Warriors were a dynasty in the making and it was completely reasonable for the 2013 Spurs to struggle to put them away. Tough times in the prognosticating world, it was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, I thought the 2013 Spurs were trash (relatively speaking, of course) for barely being able to beat the 2013 Warriors. Turns out that the 2013 Warriors were a dynasty in the making and it was completely reasonable for the 2013 Spurs to struggle to put them away. Tough times in the prognosticating world, it was.
    And the game has changed massively since then as well. Generally speaking, teams still prized bigs over all other players, and Will Hunting's point guard theory was still intact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the game has changed massively since then as well. Generally speaking, teams still prized bigs over all other players, and Will Hunting's point guard theory was still intact.
    True, true. No one saw the seismic changes coming at the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "draymond needs to be benched or traded. he doesn't fit" was stealthily another incredibly ty take buried within this thread
    few people on this forum would argue that Curry is better than Parker. Parker hasn't exactly been on his a-game this year, but he's still the guy you'd rather have in a playoff game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, true. No one saw the seismic changes coming at the time.
    Therein lies my point: This Warriors team is misshapen compared to what they should be or could be. Some might think this is their pinnacle, but I've seen signs from them to suggest otherwise (saw it last season tbh). However, Steph plays the important role in the imaginary "could be" team, he just doesn't rely on bail out shots to do so because he has a game plan and executes it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. TP was the best point guard in the league for about 2 years or so

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow... Curry is the best point guard in NBA history now. Nice thread bump... back in 2013 nobody saw this coming.... it's ok DMC

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even the best scouts and basketball minds are wrong about potential a good percentage of the time. It's an educated guess, and more knowledge is better than less, but it's still a guess. You can't see into a player's mind and know for sure how determined they will be, and you can't know for certain how or when their mindset or emotions might suddenly change for the better or the worse. Hasheem Thabeet and Anthony Bennett were consensus lottery picks, agreed upon by most experts, and Jokic and Draymond were seen as absolute outliers. , Jonathan Bender might've been a superstar if his knees had held up. That being said, this 63 page thread does read like a thesis on basic humility and hubris.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 05-19-2019 at 04:04 PM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    gotta love the love retcon and deflection attempts after using the word "chucker" in no less than 100 posts ITT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thabeet was widely known to be a questionable pick and a project at best. It was a hugely questionable pick as the second pick, but it was at a time when bigs were supposed to be of some value.

Bennett was a huge WTF pick. Nobody expected him to go first in that draft, or any draft for matter. Granted it was one of the worst draft in a long while (nobody expected Antetokoumnpo to be what he is today), but picking Bennett was widely panned, even Bennett himself was surprised.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not for everybody, tbh:

If he keeps this up Curry is a top 3 player in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. TP was the best point guard in the league for about 2 years or so
    Tony wasn't the best PG in the league in 2014.

Oh so now you understand statute of limitations.

During that 2 years Curry was ousted from the playoffs, once by the Spurs and then in the 1st round by someone else. It wasn't until Mark was replaced that the team began to play as I suggested 2 years prior.

Philo needing a mulligan on this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony wasn't the best PG in the league in 2014.

Oh so now you understand statute of limitations.

During that 2 years Curry was ousted from the playoffs, once by the Spurs and then in the 1st round by someone else. It wasn't until Mark was replaced that the team began to play as I suggested 2 years prior.

Philo needing a mulligan on this one.
    No mulligan needed. TPs play fell off during the course of that season. Curry being an overrated chicken and draymond needing to be traded we’re never accurate takes.

desperately backpedaling out of your abortion level takes after dozens of pages of ting in yourself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No mulligan needed. TPs play fell off during the course of that season. Curry being an overrated chicken and draymond needing to be traded we’re never accurate takes.

desperately backpedaling out of your abortion level takes after dozens of pages of ting in yourself
    Chicken curry is overrated but I never called Curry a chicken. I called him out for being a chucker. Plenty here jumped aboard that wagon as the seasons progressed until Kerr was hired.

"Parker hasn't exactly been on his a-game this year, but he's still the guy you'd rather have in a playoff game"

Philo wanting to employ a double standard - expiration date for this take but keeps bumping a 6 year old take.

My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicken curry is overrated but I never called Curry a chicken. I called him out for being a chucker. Plenty here jumped aboard that wagon as the seasons progressed until Kerr was hired.

"Parker hasn't exactly been on his a-game this year, but he's still the guy you'd rather have in a playoff game"

Philo wanting to employ a double standard - expiration date for this take but keeps bumping a 6 year old take.
    LOL There is no expiration date when you call a future first-ballot hall-of-famer an overrated chucker. This will stick to you for as long as Spurstalk exists LMAO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

thats not a double standard. parker was declining, but he was still the more known commodity than curry at the time. over the course of the season it became more clear that parker was declining and not merely slumping, while curry kept ascending.

but you called him an overrated chucker, wannabe kobe, and thought green needed to be traded because he didnt fit. its not as though green wasn't fitting in at the time either . that didnt make sense then or now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Chicken curry is not overrated. It’s the second best curry behind curry beef brisket when done right.

I’d have thought you’d at least get food rankings right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats not a double standard. parker was declining, but he was still the more known commodity than curry at the time. over the course of the season it became more clear that parker was declining and not merely slumping, while curry kept ascending.

but you called him an overrated chucker, wannabe kobe, and thought green needed to be traded because he didnt fit. its not as though green wasn't fitting in at the time either . that didnt make sense then or now.
    Philo, take your loss. You never even showed up during the years Curry the bed. You just pop in for crumbs now and then. Boring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicken curry is not overrated. It’s the second best curry behind curry beef brisket when done right.

I’d have thought you’d at least get food rankings right.
    It was a play on Philo using "chicken" instead of "chucker".

Don't they have humor on that caravan toward the US?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a play on Philo using "chicken" instead of "chucker".

Don't they have humor on that caravan toward the US?
    Well duh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Philo, take your loss. You never even showed up during the years Curry the bed. You just pop in for crumbs now and then. Boring.
    oh ok. Tell me which years i didn’t show up

or have you already waived your white flag and are just attacking a phone typo?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    The only year you could reasonably say was an exception to my PG theory is 2015, and even then Curry played like in the finals getting guarded by Dellavadva, but they were playing against a Cavs team with the 2nd and 3rd best player injured so the giant talent disparity was enough to overcome his poor play. The stars aligned for Golden State that year. No healthy OKC team to give them any kind of challenge in the West, and without Irving or Love the Cavs were maybe an even worse finals team than the 2007 Cavs were.

I’ve also never denied that there isn’t the occasional transcendent talent, team loaded with talent up and down its roster where it just so happens the PG is the most talented of the bunch, or team that is in the right place at the right time and wins in a historically weak year (in the case of the 2015 Warriors, it’s all of the above). The Warriors are perfectly constructed to prevent all of the defensive tactics that might actually stop Curry. Klaynus takes away any ability to put a bigger defender on Curry because of his size and how good he is at shooting over smaller players. The other wings Golden State has won with (Iggy, Durant, Harrison Barnes) are also all 6’6” and over which more or less forced the other team to put its PG on Curry.

Curry is also unique in that he can influence the game as a PG without needing to dominate the ball the way nearly every other elite PG does. The success of guys like Irving and Westbrook is almost inversely related to their team’s success because them having a big night means no one else was touching the ball. Curry is able to be part of an offensive scheme that emphasizes ball sharing and fluidity to get open shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only year you could reasonably say was an exception to my PG theory is 2015, and even then Curry played like in the finals getting guarded by Dellavadva, but they were playing against a Cavs team with the 2nd and 3rd best player injured so the giant talent disparity was enough to overcome his poor play. The stars aligned for Golden State that year. No healthy OKC team to give them any kind of challenge in the West, and without Irving or Love the Cavs were maybe an even worse finals team than the 2007 Cavs were.

I’ve also never denied that there isn’t the occasional transcendent talent, team loaded with talent up and down its roster where it just so happens the PG is the most talented of the bunch, or team that is in the right place at the right time and wins in a historically weak year (in the case of the 2015 Warriors, it’s all of the above). The Warriors are perfectly constructed to prevent all of the defensive tactics that might actually stop Curry. Klaynus takes away any ability to put a bigger defender on Curry because of his size and how good he is at shooting over smaller players. The other wings Golden State has won with (Iggy, Durant, Harrison Barnes) are also all 6’6” and over which more or less forced the other team to put its PG on Curry.

Curry is also unique in that he can influence the game as a PG without needing to dominate the ball the way nearly every other elite PG does. The success of guys like Irving and Westbrook is almost inversely related to their team’s success because them having a big night means no one else was touching the ball. Curry is able to be part of an offensive scheme that emphasizes ball sharing and fluidity to get open shots.
    yeah, in game 2 where he shot 5-23.

in the other 5 games he averaged 27 ppg, shot 49% from the field, 46% from 3... still averaged 5 rebounds 6 assists and 2 steals the whole series. thats the most overblown narrative in recent history tbh... mostly believed by casual white american fans who want delly to get credit for being an actual nba player
    Last edited by spurraider21; 05-20-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Thread Information