Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HRC was the second most unpopular presidential candidate in the era of modern polling, but her supporters were enthusiastic and publicly visible.

That isn't true of Joe Biden.
    I don't put stock in "visible" TV-friendly enthusiasm. Bernie Sanders supposedly had the most enthusiastic following of any candidate and Biden still beat him. Buttigeig had supporters doing choreographed flash mobs and barely got more votes than Klobuchar. Hillary had an enthusiastic coastal/city following and lost every single swing state. It's not important in this election for Biden to have a band of vocal enthusiasts, who, in my opinion, typically do nothing to elevate the appeal of the candidate for the average voter.
    Last edited by Spurminator; 04-11-2020 at 09:08 PM.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somebody voted for Joe in the primaries.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't put stock in "visible" TV-friendly enthusiasm. Bernie Sanders supposedly had the most enthusiastic following of any candidate and Biden still beat him. Buttigeig had supporters doing choreographed flash mobs and barely got more votes than Klobuchar. Hillary had an enthusiastic coastal/city following and lost every single swing state. It's not important in this election for Biden to have a band of vocal enthusiasts, who, in my opinion, typically do nothing to elevate the appeal of the candidate.
    Including in the primaries. She lost quite a few key states to Sanders during the primaries including Michigan and Wisconsin most of all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden’s greatest appeal is that he will win swing votes. If he tries to appease Sanders’ young voters with student debt cancellation and free everything then he will lose. The youth vote is the most unreliable and the least important in this general election. It couldn’t even keep Sanders compe ive after Super Tuesday I in the dem primary. It won’t win the general election if it costs older swing voters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't put stock in "visible" TV-friendly enthusiasm. Bernie Sanders supposedly had the most enthusiastic following of any candidate and Biden still beat him. Buttigeig had supporters doing choreographed flash mobs and barely got more votes than Klobuchar. Hillary had an enthusiastic coastal/city following and lost every single swing state. It's not important in this election for Biden to have a band of vocal enthusiasts, who, in my opinion, typically do nothing to elevate the appeal of the candidate for the average voter.
    Perhaps not. I have my doubts that mitigation will tamp down COVID-19 enough to make people feel safe on election day. Will unenthusiastic Democrats and the older voters Biden is counting on get him to 270 first when it's still dangerous to congregate in public?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps not. I have my doubts that mitigation will tamp down COVID-19 enough to make people feel safe on election day. Will unenthusiastic Democrats and the older voters Biden is counting on get him to 270 first when it's still dangerous to congregate in public?4
    If the young aren't motivated enough to vote against Trump now they deserve to have Trump keep ing them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the young aren't motivated enough to vote against Trump now they deserve to have Trump keep ing them.
    if young voters are necessary to beat Trump, spitting and ting on them might not be the best way to get them to go along.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if young voters are necessary to beat Trump, spitting and ting on them might not be the best way to get them to go along.
    If they need their asses kissed to vote against Trump now they deserve to have Trump and the GOP them for the rest of their lives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they need their asses kissed to vote against Trump now they deserve to have Trump and the GOP them for the rest of their lives.
    So much the worse for us all if that happens.

If it does happen, there should be blame left over for nominating such a weak candidate as Joe Biden. Maybe running the "most electable" centrist isn't such a great strategy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They get ed either way, tbh... just a matter if they even care picking whose flaccid they're getting.
    Last edited by ElNono; 04-11-2020 at 10:01 PM. Reason: typo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If it does happen, there should be blame left over for nominating such a weak candidate as Joe Biden. Maybe running the "most electable" centrist isn't such a great strategy.
    They didn't vote for Bernie either, so them for that too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They didn't vote for Bernie either, so them for that too.
    Young people don't vote so much. We knew this already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hate to break it to you but Obama was a centrist.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

According to Will Hunting Biden doesn't need them? Say 15-20% of them stay home Biden can still win it.

You seem to be of the mind Bernie is a stronger candidate than Biden but it doesn't show up in reality. If say Bernie were to be the nominee, he'd have the same problem Biden has but in reversed.

Maybe making blanket statements like democratic voters are the establishment and calling Castro his bestie is not such a great idea.

Biden and Bernie are both pretty defective. Let's just leave it at that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And they wonder why their asses aren't kissed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And we’re going to go to far far left to appease the most unreliable voters?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hate to break it to you but Obama was a centrist.
    Oh definitely, but he didn't run as one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What policies was he pushing in the campaign that weren’t centrist?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And we’re going to go to far far left to appease the most unreliable voters?
    Bernie Sanders policies were morenpopular with Republicans than you might think. In times of political realignment like the present, the left-right dichotomy means less than it previously did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bernie Sanders policies were morenpopular with Republicans than you might think. In times of political realignment like the present, the left-right dichotomy means less than it previously did.
    But nobody voted for Bernie when it came down to it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ran as one in 2012 and still got over 300+ EC votes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What policies was he pushing in the campaign that weren’t centrist?
    Holding telecoms legally accountable for warrantless mass surveillance, same for torture and closing Gitmo. Reforming healthcare certainly wasn't a centrist plank in 2008.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMX7: it's fair to point out Obama's rhetoric was more progressive than he and his policies, but to concede that is basically to grant that Obama was a deceptive campaigner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think a lot of his big policy ideas were even that popular with democrats. For example, Medicare for all was a disaster with unionized workers who have fought like for strong private insurance.

Thread Information