Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The October 1st podcast of LOCKED ON JAZZ features David Locke's scouting report on Jalen Smith.

An incomplete scout as Locke explains he'll revisit with another game later. Smith is his first draft breakdown.

Starts around 2:15 or so

Locke's breakdown of Dejounte Murray from 2016 is on YouTube for a fun revisit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The October 1st podcast of LOCKED ON JAZZ features David Locke's scouting report on Jalen Smith.

An incomplete scout as Locke explains he'll revisit with another game later. Smith is his first draft breakdown.

I haven't listened to it yet.

But if how I interpreted your text is correct

He scouts him off of one game.

To me, this is silly because a player cannot be examined accurately enough in one game only. They could have a bad night and it wouldnt tell the entire story.

It's like if Bryn Forbes had one game defending a player really well and calling Bryn Forbes a good defender.

You got to examine a player from the sum of its parts, not just a single part.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    perfect body-structure for a modern 4 and 5. Just hope he will be available at 11th. Maybe he should do sth stupid to slow down a lil bit this hype in media so we could take him
    It's wild that he was projected as a late first-rounder a month and a half ago, and now we're saying we hope he's there at 11. I'm not sold on the Hawks taking him, tbh, he should be there unless someone overtakes the Spurs after learning their pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just listened to the segment. He seems to really be high on Jalen but I still stand by what I said... 1-2 games isn't enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

David Locke from the podcast is freaking out about the play at 0:41 saying he takes only two steps to get to the basket. Didn't notice the number of steps before... Pretty impressive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's wild that he was projected as a late first-rounder a month and a half ago, and now we're saying we hope he's there at 11. I'm not sold on the Hawks taking him, tbh, he should be there unless someone overtakes the Spurs after learning their pick.
    It's not the Hawks, it's rumoured that the Suns is leaning heavily on him. Yeah within a month a lot of views changed those that were viewed as raw with high upsides are losing steam like PatWil, Nesmith, Poku, Precious thus propelling more steady prospect like Jalen up the draft board.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually Poku is still gaining steam..........

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just listened to the segment. He seems to really be high on Jalen but I still stand by what I said... 1-2 games isn't enough.
    fwiw, he covered him again on the October 6 show, around the 3 minute mark. His one additional game was against Minnesota. Tiny sample size, so take it with a giant grain of salt of course. He does raise an interesting statistical quirk among college players and roll scoring that could bode well for Smith or Achiuwa for that matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fwiw, he covered him again on the October 6 show, around the 3 minute mark. His one additional game was against Minnesota. Tiny sample size, so take it with a giant grain of salt of course. He does raise an interesting statistical quirk among college players and roll scoring that could bode well for Smith or Achiuwa for that matter.
    Just listened to it, thanks. He thinks he will be a stretch 4 in the NBA also.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually Poku is still gaining steam..........
    Googled him recently, and three different team fan analysts are advocating him on their websites, NYK (who I said might be interested), Detroit, and someone else who I forget. All of the articles were at least as recent as September.

One of the most interesting comparisons was to LaMelo Ball, both 18, both played pro against grown men, and didn’t post great numbers.
    Last edited by exstatic; 10-08-2020 at 11:52 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you have that Upper body with those rakitic ass legs? Looks so ing weird.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you have that Upper body with those rakitic ass legs? Looks so ing weird.
    Johnny Bravo

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looks funny but nowadays it can be more pros than cons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How? The legs are the base of the body. You need a strong base.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How? The legs are the base of the body. You need a strong base.
    Legs aren't as much of a factor as you're making it seem... Plenty of successful NBA players with skinny legs... KG, KD...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, when you're trying to establish yourself under the basket, having a low center of gravity is way overrated . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Legs aren't as much of a factor as you're making it seem... Plenty of successful NBA players with skinny legs... KG, KD...
    Not as skinny as Smith's, tbh.

Also, that wasn't the point. I guess you can get by with skinny legs, but spurspl talked about "more pros than cons". Which are the benefits of having rakitic ass legs over strong muscular ones?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not as skinny as Smith's, tbh.

Also, that wasn't the point. I guess you can get by with skinny legs, but spurspl talked about "more pros than cons". Which are the benefits of having rakitic ass legs over strong muscular ones?
    Beg to differ...

Kevin Garnett:

I don't know what spurspl is talking about. In fact, I don't think anyone on this forum would know. No one here is a sports physical therapist. Anyone who says they know how it affects basketball play or thinks they know is bull ting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beg to differ...

Kevin Garnett:

I don't know what spurspl is talking about. In fact, I don't think anyone on this forum would know. No one here is a sports physical therapist. Anyone who says they know how it affects basketball play or thinks they know is bull ting.
    You don't need to be a sports physical therapist to apply common logic, tbh.

Everybody knows strong muscular legs help avoid injuries, and a strong lower body is very important in basketball for bigmen banging down low, tbh.

In Smith's case it is particularly weird because he seems to have such a strong upper body compared to those legs, unlike like a Durant who is skinny through and through. I can't help but wonder just how much upperbody weight those legs can carry, tbh.

In any case, it's not a deal breaker for me (heck, my favourite target is Poku), I'm just saying there's no way having skinny legs is better than having strong legs, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skinny legs are sometimes a genetic thing they you can't do anything about no matter how much weight you lift

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't need to be a sports physical therapist to apply common logic, tbh.

Everybody knows strong muscular legs help avoid injuries, and a strong lower body is very important in basketball for bigmen banging down low, tbh.

In Smith's case it is particularly weird because he seems to have such a strong upper body compared to those legs, unlike like a Durant who is skinny through and through. I can't help but wonder just how much upperbody weight those legs can carry, tbh.

In any case, it's not a deal breaker for me (heck, my favourite target is Poku), I'm just saying there's no way having skinny legs is better than having strong legs, tbh.
    They could be skinny but still strong

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for clarification, saying more pros than cons i meant that during this whole small ball era forwards dont need to be bulky and having strong big legs. U dont need to fight under the basket like in 90' or 00'. Theoritically skinnier legs = quicker footwork. But still u can be fast with big legs thanks to for example fast twitch muscle fibers but we cannot say this seeing only a photo. Same thing with legs strenght. Skinny legs not always mean weak or injury prone legs
    Last edited by spurspl; 10-09-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually you needed a big old butt to play in the old day Charles Barkley but now that we playing sissy 3 ball you can be skinny and be successful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for clarification, saying more pros than cons i meant that during this whole small ball era forwards dont need to be bulky and having strong big legs. U dont need to fight under the basket like in 90' or 00'. Theoritically skinnier legs = quicker footwork. But still u can be fast with big legs thanks to for example fast twitch muscle fibers but we cannot say this seeing only a photo. Same thing with legs strenght. Skinny legs not always mean weak or injury prone legs
    There aren't sportmen with quicker footwork than soccer players, and they have some of thickest legs in all of sports, tbh. There isn't a single benefit that comes from having skinny legs, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually you needed a big old butt to play in the old day Charles Barkley but now that we playing sissy 3 ball you can be skinny and be successful.

Thread Information