Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, is SuprsTalk gonna jack off over this guy for the next decade and a half?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, is SuprsTalk gonna jack off over this guy for the next decade and a half?
    scola thread!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Casuals only like Spurs players AFTER they leave, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans would be a nice fit in the current Spurs lineup but he would eat up a lot of cap space. It was sad losing him for nothing but on the other hand, I would prefer to have a more economical version of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see what’s the hate for former Spurs tbh. I like to follow guys that I watched for a few years to see how they are doing and do like to see them succeed with one exception (the nephew obviously)....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not going to lie. He was bad tonight. Over 32 minutes and shot 7 3s yo make none. Wizards have one more game against Indiana for the 8th seed but that was disappointing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As terrible as the Bertans trade turned out to be, I'm damn glad the Spurs aren't the team that owes him $80 million, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see what’s the hate for former Spurs tbh. I like to follow guys that I watched for a few years to see how they are doing and do like to see them succeed with one exception (the nephew obviously)....
    It's not that the hate is directed towards the player per se... It's the few who pump him up as if the Spurs made a grave mistake not keeping him. Like come on, there's other players that the Spurs passed up on who deserve that kind of attention. Not Bertans. He's not a guy who'll make or break the Spurs. But people are obsessed with bringing him up time after time whenever he has a good game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not that the hate is directed towards the player per se... It's the few who pump him up as if the Spurs made a grave mistake not keeping him. Like come on, there's other players that the Spurs passed up on who deserve that kind of attention. Not Bertans. He's not a guy who'll make or break the Spurs. But people are obsessed with bringing him up time after time whenever he has a good game.
    i don’t want to really engage on this since it’s life sucking but it was a horrible trade and the players the Spurs ended up adding were negative and a waste of money. Still again, my post is not about this and have no interest in ting on guys for this purpose and even less on other fans who do enjoy his game because of a Spurs FO gamble that didn’t pay off. Morris was bad blood and may have even been a team cancer. So much for culture guys right? It wasn’t all 100 FO incompetence either, just poor.

Spurs still owe Carroll money btw and are paying Lyles to not play. They maybe could have gotten something for Davis, if they tried. It doesn’t add confidence in the FO if I am honest but this is about Davis, not that trade right. Are others so triggered that they can’t enjoy Davis bc the FO screwed up?

I am not interested in that.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 05-18-2021 at 11:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don’t want to really engage on this since it’s life sucking but it was a horrible trade and the players the Spurs ended up adding were negative and a waste of money. Still again, my post is not about this and have no interest in ting on guys for this purpose and even less on other fans who do enjoy his game because of a Spurs FO gamble that didn’t pay off. Morris was bad blood and may have even been a team cancer. So much for culture guys right? It wasn’t all 100 FO incompetence either, just poor.
    Eh, I don't know. Just putting my 2 cents on why. It wasn't like I was participating in the poop throwing. All my point was is that whatever happened with Bertans and the subsequent moves after have such a miniscule impact on the big picture side of things. What contracts they signed Carroll, Trey, and whoever were contracts that were small enough that no one should care except on the basketball side of things when the team needed better role player contributions to add maybe 3-5 wins to their season. I'm fine with guys rooting for ex-Spurs, but it will always be dumb to me to also cry over these players (like Bertans) not being on the Spurs anymore and act as if it was life or death.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, I don't know. Just putting my 2 cents on why. It wasn't like I was participating in the poop throwing. All my point was is that whatever happened with Bertans and the subsequent moves after have such a miniscule impact on the big picture side of things. What contracts they signed Carroll, Trey, and whoever were contracts that were small enough that no one should care except on the basketball side of things when the team needed better role player contributions to add maybe 3-5 wins to their season. I'm fine with guys rooting for ex-Spurs, but it will always be dumb to me to also cry over these players (like Bertans) not being on the Spurs anymore and act as if it was life or death.
    I disagree that it was inconsequential specially back then and impacted things like the Spurs being so close to the tax, but you are en led to your opinion... It’s probably for the best they were so close who the tax or they might have wanted to re-sign Bryn..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree that it was inconsequential specially back then and impacted things like the Spurs being so close to the tax, but you are en led to your opinion... It’s probably for the best they were so close who the tax or they might have wanted to re-sign Bryn..
    It didn't impact a ing thing. It's good we no longer have Bertans. He's a fools gold player who is way too expensive for the production you receive from him. This board is complete clown shoes when it comes to Davis Bertans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It didn't impact a ing thing. It's good we no longer have Bertans. He's a fools gold player who is way too expensive for the production you receive from him. This board is complete clown shoes when it comes to Davis Bertans.
    He didn’t cost the Spurs 80 million. There was demand for him. It’s unfortunate to get sucked into this vortex tbh you are all en led to your opinion and me to mine and we can be merry and happy and sing Kumbaya or go down the path of arguing about a FO that I am apathetic to.... As I said I don’t understand the hate tbh. You all enjoy it if you want

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans at a per year 5/7 million contract (aka possible spurs contracts) is a bargain; at 18 per year (actual Washington contract) is a pain in the ass...expecially if you don't play him the way you played him the season he enhanced his value at the point that such loaded contract was looking reasonable to offer. Only If he's treated as one of the main weapons on offense (first to second to, at the very least, third option) and the offensive schemes are builded to exploit his strenghts, he's possibly gonna deserve that money because his potential offensive advantage against anybody guarding him his considerable...against smaller players he can go inside and exploit his lenght; against bigger players he can take them out of the court with his impressive shooting range. This way he's playable and the plus minus with him can be positive, because his offensive productions hides his defensive inefficiency ( in this sense I always thought that, for absurd, considering his kind of body, the best role for him could have been shooting guard...).
    The way he's playing now for Washington, mainly because of Westbrook, is non sense...maybe after one other year something will change in the offensive schemes and shooting distribution between players, otherwise better would be for Washington to find as soon as possible a trade partenr willing to absorb that contract thanks to some draft choice compensation...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No hate for Bertans, he's a good guy and I'm glad he got paid.

That said, regardless of the trade, which was good at the time considering the context, I'd rather letting him walk for nothing than giving him that contract. He's just not worth it. A very similar impact player in Doug McDermott, and I'd argue he's better than Bertans, costs significantly less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs still owe Carroll money btw and are paying Lyles to not play. They maybe could have gotten something for Davis, if they tried. It doesn’t add confidence in the FO if I am honest but this is about Davis, not that trade right. Are others so triggered that they can’t enjoy Davis bc the FO screwed up?

I am not interested in that.
    Sometimes I think you are intentionally obtuse.

1) Davis proved in his time here what he is: A guy that can get hot from three - point land, but otherwise has no high level skill to fall back on. Can't create for others, doesn't rebound, porous defender (the Celtics were hunting for his matchup all night) and isn't physically strong (gets pushed around inside).

2) Marcus Morris is easily a better player than him and a better fit for the team's needs (even today). Would've been a quality stop gap until Samanic was ready or they found a better long-term answer.. He reneged and that isn't on anyone but him.

Also, other then maybe his time in Phoenix (after they "stabbed" him & his brother in the back) I've never heard anything about him being a cancer or bad locker room guy. It's okay to think it would've been a bad fit, but we'll never and Pop has gambled on "questionable characters" before.

3. Every team makes mistakes with signings and bringing guys in. Lyles was OK last year (who cares if he's being paid to sit now), but lost his spot and will be gone soon. Carroll was a bad pick up, period, and Pop never gave him a real chance to workout. His money owed will be off the books after this season or the next.

Anyway, saying all that to say that most people don't "hate" most former Spurs at all. Or at least I usually don't, except for Nephew & Rodman, and root for guys to do well in other places.

The issue becomes when a good role player (with massive flaws) like Davis leaves & gets built up like he was better than he is/was. More freedom and shots has helped Davis' numbers - and his volume three - point shooting would be a huge plus here still - but he's mediocre to bad in a lot of areas.

I like Davis, I'm happy he got the bag (especially after blowing out both knees before stepping on a NBA court) but I'm also glad he's doing it somewhere else.

The Spurs already have someone in - house that possibly mirror his production, but with other vital skills included.

He didn’t cost the Spurs 80 million. There was demand for him.
    Again, had he had a breakout season similar to the one in D.C. with the Spurs, then yes, he would've cost the Spurs $60 - 80 million to re - sign (likely the higher price since Bertans is at or near his prime).

The demand for Davis' one elite skill is very, very high, but his time in San Antonio didn't suggest there was any "high demand" for his services. The Spurs wouldn't have just salary dumped him. Instead they would've attempted to acquire a future 2nd (more likely) or 1st round pick.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 05-19-2021 at 11:06 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    watching bertand last night made me that much more convinced that letting him go (for what it would have cost to keep him) was the right move to make at that time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still cant get over the fact Brian Wrong gave away my boy so he could sign a washed up guy that's out of the NBA. Literally checks all the boxes of what the Spurs desperately lack (sniper, starting modern 4). Just a complete lack of talent recognition. Had no idea what he had in Davis.

I'm also almost certain that if he was shown the proper respect, he could've been kept for a significantly better contract than what WAS gave him. Probably in the $55-70 million range, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still cant get over the fact Brian Wrong gave away my boy so he could sign a washed up guy that's out of the NBA. Literally checks all the boxes of what the Spurs desperately lack (sniper, starting modern 4). Just a complete lack of talent recognition. Had no idea what he had in Davis.

I'm also almost certain that if he was shown the proper respect, he could've been kept for a significantly better contract than what WAS gave him. Probably in the $55-70 million range, imo.
    Spurs would never pay a one trick pony that kind of money, and other than 2/3 of one season, they’ve been proven right. He was also NOT traded for any reason other than to sign Morris. Anything else is revisionist history. Morris ed us, so we signed that other dude and Lyles. Both of those were fallout from the Morris ing. There was just no one else left at that point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That other dude was Carroll who could not run or jump. They was for sure someone else who could run and jump. Carroll was a disaster and continues to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, I'm generally known as a "Popologist" around here....but giving away Bertans to get ed around by Morris and Carroll is a stain on anybody's resume. And the Spurs are still paying Carroll to sit on a beach somewhere.

Perhaps one of the most mismanaged moves I can remember in my time watching NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs would never pay a one trick pony that kind of money, and other than 2/3 of one season, they’ve been proven right. He was also NOT traded for any reason other than to sign Morris. Anything else is revisionist history. Morris ed us, so we signed that other dude and Lyles. Both of those were fallout from the Morris ing. There was just no one else left at that point.
    seems to be the point some posters keep overlooking.

Thread Information