Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember when he got drafted and quite a few posters threw a fit on drafting another pg. I could not believe he fell to us. He was easily one of my best players in the country that year and one of the best "true" PGs. I watched him play alot and would hate the reality of not having a shot of him since he would definitely go second half of the 1st.

I was exstatic we got him. His leadership and decision making just always stood out to me as elite.

Really hope he gets the opportunity to showcase his ability with the main team.
    i usually have no expectation of 2nd rounders contributing, so i wasnt happy or upset with the pick at the time. but dominating summer league in year 2 is definitely good to see.

for reference, our second rounders since 2010 have been: wieskamp, tre jones, quinddary weatherspoon, chimezie metu, jaron blossomgame, cady lalanne, deshaun thomas, marcus denmon, adam hanga, and ryan richards.

last time we drafted an actual rotation player in the 2nd round was blair/de colo back in 2009

Tre looks like he's set to be the next one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was impressive over Kai Jones

What is Tre’s vertical? I mean his body’s pretty much side by side with Kai. DraftNet has his athleticism at 6. This kid can flatout outrun anybody. I think it hurt his stock not being able to attend the Combine, because he would’ve shown people. But good for us . I think he would’ve been taken on the 2nd half of the 1st round, tbh.
    Last edited by John B; 08-12-2021 at 11:37 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why was Forbes brought back again?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think Pop won't be spooning with Brynn on road trips and feeding each other grapes to get over the losses? Come on.

Most here were excited about the youth/tank movement, then he brings this scab back.
    Fvck!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Fvck!

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    probably because he was literally out the league and pop wanted to help him again...

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    probably because he was literally out the league and pop wanted to help him again...
    If he was almost out of the league, that's on Forbes for opting out of the $2.5 million he would have gotten from the Bucks this year. If Spurs gave him a better contract than that, I'm gonna be pissed. Stop acting like a charity just because a player has "good character"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weiskamp looks pretty good for a 2nd round pick.

He acts like he belongs, he mixes it up effectively inside (a big surprise), he can regularly hit the wide open three (sometimes the hardest to hit), and he defends well (especially for a guy saddled with his profile).

My expectations were pretty low, but I came away impressed after seeing him for three games in person.

Most of all, his at ude was very confident but at the same time very matter of fact. The heat was on him (and Tre Jones) on the heels of a five game losing streak, especially with the featured guys out, but he never wavered.

He looks like he can play a role (a word he will probably never completely escape) with the big club.
    His frame and athleticism show promise beyond a simple catch-and-shoot guy, plus he's shown some grit in rebounding, as you say. I like the glimpses he's shown so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fun to watch the Tre Jones show

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His frame and athleticism show promise beyond a simple catch-and-shoot guy, plus he's shown some grit in rebounding, as you say. I like the glimpses he's shown so far.
    He was a good rebounder in College. The old adage is that rebounding always transfers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was impressive over Kai Jones

What is Tre’s vertical? I mean his body’s pretty much side by side with Kai. DraftNet has his athleticism at 6. This kid can flatout outrun anybody. I think it hurt his stock not being able to attend the Combine, because he would’ve shown people. But good for us . I think he would’ve been taken on the 2nd half of the 1st round, tbh.
    I don’t know what his vert is, but he had two plays, one in the Gubble, and one with the Spurs, where he drove the lane, and dunked in heavy traffic. Plays were nearly identical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know what his vert is, but he had two plays, one in the Gubble, and one with the Spurs, where he drove the lane, and dunked in heavy traffic. Plays were nearly identical.
    That has got to be over 40”. His hips are right beside Kai’s.

I mean he has done this at the Gubble. While people freak over Halliburton, we have Tre who COULD equally be talented, at 41st. I don’t know if it’s a stretch, but he can pretty much positioned himself anywhere in the court for a shot. His speed is reminiscent of Tony’s. He was beating his defender every time to the hole. He has a sick hesitation move that almost broke his defenders ankle. He’s an excellent defender, and has shown he can score.

Okay, let’s see some more Tre. Because if he can consistently play like this, he deserves minutes. He just leaped over Lonnie, a 4th year player who looks lost out there. Tre IS the backup PG, and could even be more if they decided to package Murray. Certainly he’s a better facilitator than Murray. But White has been and yet remains 2nd fiddle to DJ as a primary ball handler.

I don’t know. Let’s see some more Tre.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So just to be clear, this also happened in the summer league:

Obviously White has turned out to be a consistently good player when he can stay healthy. Forbes is a relatively consistent scorer and Walker has talent. But the drop-off from being the featured guy in a summer-league game to a bit player in the NBA is massive. There's no point in trying to project NBA role from it. It's basically just a skill check.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, big games in the Summer League are a necessary but insufficient condition for being a good NBA player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Obviously White has turned out to be a consistently good player when he can stay healthy. Forbes is a relatively consistent scorer and Walker has talent. But the drop-off from being the featured guy in a summer-league game to a bit player in the NBA is massive. There's no point in trying to project NBA role from it. It's basically just a skill check.
    This game aside, Tre probably doesn't really have an NBA role if he doesn't develop a three-point shot. He's not gonna be able to feast at the rim against real NBA defenses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jones has a nice combination of physicality and craftiness in the paint, I can see him being a solid finisher in the nba.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i usually have no expectation of 2nd rounders contributing, so i wasnt happy or upset with the pick at the time. but dominating summer league in year 2 is definitely good to see.

for reference, our second rounders since 2010 have been: wieskamp, tre jones, quinddary weatherspoon, chimezie metu, jaron blossomgame, cady lalanne, deshaun thomas, marcus denmon, adam hanga, and ryan richards.

last time we drafted an actual rotation player in the 2nd round was blair/de colo back in 2009

Tre looks like he's set to be the next one
    I think he has a good chance at getting that spot and could possibly demand more later in his career. He was definitely a 1st round pick. Watching him fall, I knew he was going to go to some team I hated late first and they were going to get a steal.

Really looking forward to getting the chance to see him play up more this year. He played well in spot minutes last year with the spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

it's definitely a skill check, but Jones appears to have passed that test. of course, its still on him to allow his skill to translate into an NBA role, but if CoJo has stuck around the league as a backup, no reason Tre can't. but he's going to have to be a more willing shooter if he wants to be more than that

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2nd year ballhandlers in the summer league looks like superstars. He still needs a good pullup j to even be in the rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's definitely a skill check, but Jones appears to have passed that test. of course, its still on him to allow his skill to translate into an NBA role, but if CoJo has stuck around the league as a backup, no reason Tre can't. but he's going to have to be a more willing shooter if he wants to be more than that
    Oh, I think Jones is doing well. My point is that him doing well doesn't make him surpass guys like Walker or Forbes, and it shouldn't make anyone feel better about trading White. Those guys all dominated the summer league in games too. Bryn in particular would be a star in a league where the guys were just a bit smaller. He's actually a relatively large human being (in height but also in terms of how muscular he is) outside of an NBA court, and he'd look a lot better if he were closer to two-guard size in a league rather than shorter than a lot of PGs. Jones should be able to stick in the league just as his brother has. But he might well not be in the rotation this season, even if Pop doesn't show favoritism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of what has been said about Tre is being confirmed in Summer League, or as some are saying, he is checking the right boxes. Despite a strong game yesterday, I can see he still needs to work on his outside shooting. It appears he is working on it and progress is being made.

The most impressive thing about his performance was his all around output, scoring, defense, assists, driving with the change of speed. He didn't just excel in one aspect of the game, he played well in many facets of the game.

Things get harder in the NBA as we all know but I feel good about the guy.

I liked what I saw from Cup of Joe yesterday as well. I thought he was going to be a catch and shoot guy and that was pretty much it but he mixes it up under the basket, is fearless shooting and his defense is a bit better than I thought it would be. Fingers crossed.

Primo looks to be more of a project than I was hoping but he can shoot and has room (time) to grow.

Devin is who I have been disappointed with thus far. I am speaking about his conditioning and inability to hit threes playing summer league talent.

Primo is more a project than I was hoping for but he can shoot and is young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Broke mans wagner might be a thing after all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s not the scoring for me, it’s the intangibles he brings. A lot of kids can score in the summer league but this kid is poised as and knows how to set up his teammates really well and has a great feel for the game. If only Lonnie had his feel for the game lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s not the scoring for me, it’s the intangibles he brings. A lot of kids can score in the summer league but this kid is poised as and knows how to set up his teammates really well and has a great feel for the game. If only Lonnie had his feel for the game lol.

Thread Information