Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo does a lot of unproductive ballhandling moves and needs to bulk up. I need him to get consistent on his shots. His feet are all over the place. But he shoots with no remorse whatsoever. Hope he stops being so tunnel visioned -- but I think he's instructed to shoot -- but it's refreshing to have a player who doesn't think twice about misses. He'll just keep going.

Tre Jones, meanwhile. He has deceptive athleticism, if it's horizontal rather than flashy. He knows how to use his body and strength to get shots off. Some low-level spectacular makes around the basket. Clean difference between, say, Primo and him -- Primo is bumped off his drives and can't get what he wants (yet); Tre knows both exactly what he wants to do, in control, and can adjust on the fly.
    Yet
    Primo really does look his age physically.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo does a lot of unproductive ballhandling moves and needs to bulk up. I need him to get consistent on his shots. His feet are all over the place. But he shoots with no remorse whatsoever. Hope he stops being so tunnel visioned -- but I think he's instructed to shoot -- but it's refreshing to have a player who doesn't think twice about misses. He'll just keep going.

Tre Jones, meanwhile. He has deceptive athleticism, if it's horizontal rather than flashy. He knows how to use his body and strength to get shots off. Some low-level spectacular makes around the basket. Clean difference between, say, Primo and him -- Primo is bumped off his drives and can't get what he wants (yet); Tre knows both exactly what he wants to do, in control, and can adjust on the fly.
    Thank you for your observation! Yes I was just too excited about the deep 3s...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sounds like a compe or. None of that i-want-to-sit-out-because-i-got-a-tiny-boo-boo from Kawhi maybe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His herky jerky thing had a little harden to it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tom Orsborn
    Tom_orsborn
    1m
    Mitch says Primo is learning what his "limitations or non-limitations are": "It’s scary when you look at some of the stuff he’s doing cuz I don’t know if he even realizes what he is doing & the level of difficulty because he just looks like he is out there playing basketball."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tom Orsborn
    Tom_orsborn
    1m
    Mitch says Primo is learning what his "limitations or non-limitations are": "It’s scary when you look at some of the stuff he’s doing cuz I don’t know if he even realizes what he is doing & the level of difficulty because he just looks like he is out there playing basketball."
    A prodigy with so much room to grow in every aspect.
    We can only hope this seedling flourishes into something special.

It looks like it's possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo’s game is so advanced for being only 18 years old. He got 21 points without even sweating. The game of basketball is easy for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo’s game is so advanced for being only 18 years old. He got 21 points without even sweating. The game of basketball is easy for him.
    That's what I like.
    No, he's not perfect at 18, but this game does look easy to him already and he's not going to get worse.

He's just not (barring injury, of course).

He looks like you could toss him anywhere and he'll be pretty much unfazed and just plays his game.
    He'll need to grow and become more savvy and matured in every aspect, like handling in traffic, but this kid just knows how to play.

Which is so different from athletes that don't know how to play, but get away with athleticism. That only goes so far for all, but the very, very best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo needs to learn to share the ball when he really doesn't have a shot. His form isn't very good or consistent; sometimes he looks like he's doing a one-hand push shot from back in the day with one foot extended forward to get extra 3 pt range. On the other hand, he's willing to take running scoop shots from the corner or an overhand floater from the FT line. I doubt he practices those shots??? He's gonna be very unorthodox like Manu. Do they just come to him as he moves???? ("that's what I do") Finally, He actually plays some pretty good defense. I counted a couple of blocks he got just from staying with his man after getting scrubbed off by a pick, and then playing the ball smart.

I was amazed at how Tre Jones has improved as a shooter. Hard work no doubt. The other thing is how he is able to contort his body in mid air when he's covered up and still get off a shot by strength alone--and sometimes they actually go in. . He's gonna get a whole lot more foul shots than Tony Parker per minutes played. (I never could figure out why Parker didn't lead all PGs in foul shots--except that he was exceptionally slick with his footwork while among the Bigs down in the lane.) Jones is going to get hammered a lot, but seems willing to take the punishment so far. Ya gotta admire his guts if not his brains.

Fun to see another Robinson wearing #50 for the Spurs--and he wasn't bad. Hard to judge the large number of unknowns since Summer League is mostly rookies and undrafteds, but most of the Spurs group were hustling all the game. Wish I had the stat sheets to confirm some impressions of those youngsters who made some nice plays to see if they were consistent. Renfro and Morris come to mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is beyond optimistic, I think Primo has the potential to be an all star but I don’t think he’ll be an all NBA player.
    I think that’s exactly what PATFO had in mind, picking Primo at 12. He will be an All Star with his advanced game at his age, and the frame and size to build on. I don’t see a very athletic player, but a very savvy one, a Harden, Doncic. I know it’s not fair to expect him to be one. But getting him early, with the skills and tools that he has, it’s not a far fetched. Besides, we’ll get a big laugh if anybody said that the kid Pop traded his favorite player for, would someday become a top 2-3 player? Arguably the top player if Kawhi could play more games. I don’t doubt Spurs metrics saw something that they think especial on Primo to make a gamble, against conventional wisdom and so-called experts, on Primo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I saw flashes last night, 21 points on 22 shots can’t be categorized as “easy”.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I saw flashes last night, 21 points on 22 shots can’t be categorized as “easy”.
    I am not talking on point only, I am talking in general. The way he plays defense, the way he moves the ball and the way he communicates with his teammates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Breaking: Primo traded back to the Spurs.

Snip snap snip snap snip snap

Thread Information