Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Milutinov didn't want to be a Spur enough to take his first-round contract. He could've forced his way over at any time but chose not to. That's on him. His agent wanted Bogdanovic money and that wasn't going to happen. Let's stop twisting things to make the Spurs worse than they are. The problem was that they waited too long to bring the guys over and weren't able to pay when it was time, not that they did guys wrong. Bertans bet on himself and got a ton of money. None of those other players were willing to do anything of the sort.

Forbes is a much better player than Miluntov. Carroll was too. Yes, Bryn has flaw that Pop exacerbated. Yes Carroll was a mistake. But the solution wouldn't be to replace them with Nik, who could've easily been his own mistake on the big deal he wanted. I HATED how the Spurs handled that draft. Openly, obviously and annoyingly I hated it. But even I can see that Milutinov needed to be the trade piece in this in order to keep the other picks. That he's not "nothing" is why SA got the best of the seconds traded in that deal. I certainly wouldn't've preferred sending out Hanga and getting a 2027 second instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was a free agent last year I think, he had no buyout problems even before that I'm sure as he was expecting to be in the NBA. He would have earned his check a lot more than DeMarre Carroll or Trey Lyles.

If Zubac can succeed in the NBA in his role, Milutinov certainly could.

Anyways

I remember the good old days on this forum when so many were convinced that Scola couldn't play in the NBA, he was just a fiba and Europe guy. After all, if he was any good at all, the Spurs would have signed him, right?

And I remember the delight in the Spurs suckering some dumb new gm into taking his rights in a tiny salary dump, didn't that idiot know there was an impossible buyout? Didn't he know that Scola was demanding the max?

Besides, duncan and him could never play together, because they both could only play on the low block and two objects couldn't occupy the same space at the same time. Neither had any other way to score or contribute. It just wasn't meant to be.

Trip down memory lane aside, what really burns about Milutinov, or Scola, or even Hanga et al is this ...

In the harsh game of talent acquisition, the Spurs had already won at the hardest part: identifying NBA talent AND having exclusive rights. They did it! And that talent is usually gettable for cheap or reasonable for their first contract. After that it can be a rough road, but the Spurs scouting had done their job. They had the players! No one else could come in and steal them away in the NBA.

That's like free money. Free roll of the dice. Free square.

Every other team is scrambling to find guys and blowing picks, churning through 'second draft' busts, banking on washed up retirees, cycling through 10 days and 2 ways and summer leagues all just to find guys who can play on an active roster.

And the Spurs have had it and just tossed it aside; it's maddening. Why not use the asset while it's most valuable, that first contract? You've done all the work, just cross the finish line and take the prize.

And the Spurs guys wanted to be here. Scola wanted to play with Manu. Duncan was his favorite player. Hanga wanted to be a Spur, Milutinov too.

Morey pulled his hair out over Llull refusing any offer. The Magic set their franchise back with Fran Vasquez.

The Spurs had it, why didn't they just take it? I'll never get it. Instead of les in 05 and 07, is it possible that they would have run through 05, 06, 07, and 08? With just one small move, one flap of the butterfly wings ... A greasy haired flopper would have emerged from the chrysalis, glorious to behold!!!!

Oh well. At least they were able to spend their money where it really mattered most.

Bryn Forbes
    Scola thread. It still hurts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this guy chandler, he's gross
    Lol players that get traded usually hates the gm and owner afterwards
    Lol spurs had a player that would not even talk to the raptors gm

And would you feel great about having to move your family and no choice in the matter ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wtf is tik tok and why does it kill brain cells?
    It's like Instagram for people with a 6 second attention span.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's like Instagram for people with a 6 second attention span.
    I thought that was called Instagram.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Milutinov didn't want to be a Spur enough to take his first-round contract. He could've forced his way over at any time but chose not to. That's on him. His agent wanted Bogdanovic money and that wasn't going to happen. Let's stop twisting things to make the Spurs worse than they are. The problem was that they waited too long to bring the guys over and weren't able to pay when it was time, not that they did guys wrong. Bertans bet on himself and got a ton of money. None of those other players were willing to do anything of the sort.

Forbes is a much better player than Miluntov. Carroll was too. Yes, Bryn has flaw that Pop exacerbated. Yes Carroll was a mistake. But the solution wouldn't be to replace them with Nik, who could've easily been his own mistake on the big deal he wanted. I HATED how the Spurs handled that draft. Openly, obviously and annoyingly I hated it. But even I can see that Milutinov needed to be the trade piece in this in order to keep the other picks. That he's not "nothing" is why SA got the best of the seconds traded in that deal. I certainly wouldn't've preferred sending out Hanga and getting a 2027 second instead.
    You would have fit right in back in the anti-Scola days . Those were the days

There's a lot I could go into, but why bother anymore? It's over for this saga.

Bottom line is I'm as certain about him being an NBA player as I was about Scola, he would have helped the team and would have earned whatever actual contract he was on, and the Spurs would have better off to have the asset in hand as a player. Spurs are the ones building the team, they are responsible for signing players, period. Their failure to properly use assets is their responsibility, not his.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scola thread. It still hurts
    I think timvp needs to permanently pin or post his explanation as to why the Spurs didn't and really where not able to sign Scola

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol players that get traded usually hates the gm and owner afterwards
    Lol spurs had a player that would not even talk to the raptors gm

And would you feel great about having to move your family and no choice in the matter ?
    i'd feel pretty damn good if i was making $4M a year to play a game, and if I was single and had no kids

but it's not his saltiness, it's his tik-tok personality in general that's gross

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You would have fit right in back in the anti-Scola days . Those were the days

There's a lot I could go into, but why bother anymore? It's over for this saga.

Bottom line is I'm as certain about him being an NBA player as I was about Scola, he would have helped the team and would have earned whatever actual contract he was on, and the Spurs would have better off to have the asset in hand as a player. Spurs are the ones building the team, they are responsible for signing players, period. Their failure to properly use assets is their responsibility, not his.
    I don't care about what you thought about Scola. Being right in one situation 15 years ago doesn't make you right now. This is ignoring of course how great Scola overseas and internationally. Dude was a Spanish League MVP, All-Euroleague and a gold medalist before coming to the NBA. Miluntov has some recognition in the Greek league and that's it. They aren't comparable players. That's before getting into how a scoring PF was still really valuable in 2007 while a garbage-man center is meh in the NBA today. I don't see you saying he's better than Poeltl or even Landale. So what if you think he's better than an abject bust signing or the worst defender in the West? Who isn't?

Again, Milutinov had a guaranteed contract and didn't take it. He can't act like the Spurs needed to pay him more money when they could get effective bigs for cheap or better bigs. He was stashed because he wanted an eight-figure deal. Dude couldn't bet on himself or even ask for the Spurs to release his rights or trade him to an interested team. As you probably think, SA gave his rights away for almost nothing. Clearly they weren't going to stop him from getting on with some NBA team if one had been willing to meet Nik's demands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought that was called Instagram.
    You joke, but I know people who will scroll Instagram for hours or TikTok for hours.

I can't do it. I scroll through Facebook or Insta for like 5 minutes and I am over it. I keep FB particularly to keep up with family and friends but I can't sit there and read it like a book.

Then again, I spend most of my downtime at work shooting the with all you characters, so who am I to judge? Different strokes, I guess.

That said...TikTok culture just gives me a headache, and I feel like it's going to have a bad effect on a lot of young people. It's like SnapChat, but worse...at least SnapChat gave us some funny memes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care about what you thought about Scola. Being right in one situation 15 years ago doesn't make you right now. This is ignoring of course how great Scola overseas and internationally. Dude was a Spanish League MVP, All-Euroleague and a gold medalist before coming to the NBA. Miluntov has some recognition in the Greek league and that's it. They aren't comparable players. That's before getting into how a scoring PF was still really valuable in 2007 while a garbage-man center is meh in the NBA today. I don't see you saying he's better than Poeltl or even Landale. So what if you think he's better than an abject bust signing or the worst defender in the West? Who isn't?

Again, Milutinov had a guaranteed contract and didn't take it. He can't act like the Spurs needed to pay him more money when they could get effective bigs for cheap or better bigs. He was stashed because he wanted an eight-figure deal. Dude couldn't bet on himself or even ask for the Spurs to release his rights or trade him to an interested team. As you probably think, SA gave his rights away for almost nothing. Clearly they weren't going to stop him from getting on with some NBA team if one had been willing to meet Nik's demands.
    You don't care what I think yet you respond.

If you don't care what I think, why complain that you don't know what I think about him vs Poeltl and Jock? Because if I did post it, you'd just say you don't care and blame Scola and his agent for their outrageous demands, it's all their fault! ... Oops I mean Milutinov

Keep believing whatever you want, it's okay. It's a diverse board. No worries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You joke, but I know people who will scroll Instagram for hours or TikTok for hours.

I can't do it. I scroll through Facebook or Insta for like 5 minutes and I am over it. I keep FB particularly to keep up with family and friends but I can't sit there and read it like a book.

Then again, I spend most of my downtime at work shooting the with all you characters, so who am I to judge? Different strokes, I guess.

That said...TikTok culture just gives me a headache, and I feel like it's going to have a bad effect on a lot of young people. It's like SnapChat, but worse...at least SnapChat gave us some funny memes.
    Eh, TikTok can be pretty funny but I agree, I can't scroll through that or any social media more than five mins before I grow bored of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chandler has a pretty big wingspan at 7 foot 1…. I wonder if the spurs will waive him in the coming
    days or wait and see what he does at training camp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't care what I think yet you respond.

If you don't care what I think, why complain that you don't know what I think about him vs Poeltl and Jock? Because if I did post it, you'd just say you don't care and blame Scola and his agent for their outrageous demands, it's all their fault! ... Oops I mean Milutinov

Keep believing whatever you want, it's okay. It's a diverse board. No worries.
    I didn't say I didn't care about arguing with you. I'm saying I don't put any stock into the "Trust my take on Milutinov, because I thought Scola was good", or its mirror, "You're wrong about Milutinov because you would've been Scola 15 years." You're making a lazy argument. They're different players in different situations, and you damned well know that. It's actually insane that you're doubling down on the argument, in an even lazier way because you're assuming it's self-evident

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically, if you think Milutinov is a high-end starter, say that. We can debate that. But saying "He would've been better than Forbes" or "Better to give Nik money than Carroll" isn't helping. Zach Collins meets that same standard, and no one likes that deal either. What is true is that the Spurs weren't actually blocking Milutinov from going to the NBA, just like they didn't block Scola from doing it. Nik is making the equivalent of $17M/3 on his contract. If someone were willing to offer more than that and a buyout, he would be in the NBA. That's taking his desire to join the league as fact when it's probably questionable

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't say I didn't care about arguing with you. I'm saying I don't put any stock into the "Trust my take on Milutinov, because I thought Scola was good", or its mirror, "You're wrong about Milutinov because you would've been Scola 15 years." You're making a lazy argument. They're different players in different situations, and you damned well know that. It's actually insane that you're doubling down on the argument, in an even lazier way because you're assuming it's self-evident
    The situations are different but the results are (more or less) the same.

It's not a lazy argument, but it does assume a level of informed knowledge that I'm probably wrong to do. And it doesn't involve just listing accomplishments or awards, there were very specific in game reasons for Scola and Milutinov.

But why bother going through it and holding everyone's hand? (and I'm referring to everyone on the board, not attacking you) Just going to fall on deaf ears, so there's no point.

How many of the people casually giving opinions on them now or then actually watched Tau or Olympiakos games and are/were able to follow along? Me and how many others? Not many I'm sure.

I actually deleted about 40 Olympiakos games from one of my hard drives a month ago, I knew they were just wasted space, I had already watched them and I knew he wasn't going to ever be a Spur. I could have cut up the footage and made an hour long video cut with corresponding NBA footage to show exactly why I believed he was a player worth getting, and at points had even started the notes process to get it done.

But why bother? Most people will just believe what they want, like anything in life. And when they are presented with something contrary to what they want, they'll cling to whatever rumor on some website matches their worldview.

So it's fine.

Milutinov is gone. Not even sure he'll ever be a Net. Not because of his salary demands, but the constraints of only having a tax mle to give him a 3 year deal when the roster is so top heavy. He's not a 2nd rounder like Bertans, he can't bet on himself on a 2 year and get paid on the back end. Or accept the 1 year tender and really bet on himself like KJ McDaniels did with the 76ers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Fred Katz
    FredKatz
    34m
    The Spurs are releasing Chandler Hutchison, sources tell @TheAthletic. Hutchison’s salary is guaranteed for $4M in 2021-22. San Antonio acquired him as part of the five-team mega deal that sent Russell Westbrook to LA and Spencer Dinwiddie to DC.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Fred Katz
    FredKatz
    34m
    The Spurs are releasing Chandler Hutchison, sources tell @TheAthletic. Hutchison’s salary is guaranteed for $4M in 2021-22. San Antonio acquired him as part of the five-team mega deal that sent Russell Westbrook to LA and Spencer Dinwiddie to DC.
    Damn that's an expensive second round pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will look even worse when Milutinov becomes the next Luis Scola.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expected, but I wonder if that means SA wants to create a camp roster spot for a trade.

Probably just didn't want to bring him to camp/give him a chance to make the team and are releasing him now so they can sign a priority free agent for the Toros later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expected, but I wonder if that means SA wants to create a camp roster spot for a trade.

Probably just didn't want to bring him to camp/give him a chance to make the team and are releasing him now so they can sign a priority free agent for the Toros later.
    This and doing him a solid.
    Letting him move on as opposed to coming to a camp with a very low prob of make the team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was expecting an update from his TikTok

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably too toxic to even bring to camp. Also it would seem to point towards Aminu not failing his physical.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing that I hate is that a lot of people were saying - Don’t bring him over he sucks - he has no mid range game - he has no 3 ball - he is not the future NBA Center - He can only Gorilla dunk. But yet we sign Poodle who has No 3 ball - No Mid Range - And actually no offense - Even his dunks are wimpy and yet now everyone is OK with that I don’t understand?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing that I hate is that a lot of people were saying - Don’t bring him over he sucks - he has no mid range game - he has no 3 ball - he is not the future NBA Center - He can only Gorilla dunk. But yet we sign Poodle who has No 3 ball - No Mid Range - And actually no offense - Even his dunks are wimpy and yet now everyone is OK with that I don’t understand?
    poeltl is a much better NBA defender than milutinov can ever dream of. and its true that milutinov isnt an NBA player and all he can do is gorilla dunk against smaller euros

Thread Information