Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because everyone was lowballing us, and they thought the TOR package was the best on offer? Seriously, all these theoretical Clips/Lakers/Whoemever deals that people keep proposing as better than the TOR offer, do you actually believe they were offered at the time? I just see a lot of people making up rumours to on the PATFO...
    So they thought the Toronto package was the best offer even though they didn't treat Derozan like a long-term piece the moment he got here per timvp?

And that shouldn't be held against the FO? Okay

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kawhi doesn't sign in Toronto.... send Derozen back to great white north. They freaking love him there. Green is probably gone and they would be in desperate need of a wing player. Take Ibaka and his expiring deal and call it a day.
    The love for Derozan in Toronto grew exponentially as soon as he was off the team tbh...

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I probably only saw twenty regular season games and the playoff games, but I don't have a problem with DeRozan's effort on defense. DeRozan seemed to hustle at at least average NBA level.
    I have a problem with DeRozan's ap ude on defense.
    In his second Spurs season, I hope DeRozan might make the right team decision one more time a game, adding a few wins to the RS and a win in the playoffs.
    I was hoping for a Finley like improvement last year. This year I'd settle for halfway from DeRozan 18-19 to Finley.
    In season two, I hope DeRozan will get yanked for a missed play as if he was Green.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My understanding is that the Toronto package was considered the best offer because it would keep the team compe ive enough in the short-term (next two years or so). This seems apparent just by listening to Pop's presser following the trade. Less important was whether the players, most notably DeRozan, were (or could be?) key long-term pieces beyond their current contracts.

So you could criticize PATFO's approach to evaluating the trade offers last summer, but you can't necessarily criticize PATFO for not getting a long-term piece in DeRozan if that was never their intended goal with the trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My understanding is that the Toronto package was considered the best offer because it would keep the team compe ive enough in the short-term (next two years or so). This seems apparent just by listening to Pop's presser following the trade. Less important was whether the players, most notably DeRozan, were (or could be?) key long-term pieces beyond their current contracts.

So you could criticize PATFO's approach to evaluating the trade offers last summer, but you can't necessarily criticize PATFO for not getting a long-term piece in DeRozan if that was never their intended goal with the trade.
    By "compe ive" do you mean making the playoffs to keep Pop's playoff streak alive? Sickening. Aim low to feed egos I guess.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    if kawhi does leave TOR then it would be worth seeing what the spurs could get for demar

masai has to be over him though...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By "compe ive" do you mean making the playoffs to keep Pop's playoff streak alive? Sickening. Aim low to feed egos I guess.
    Yeah, "compe ive" as in a playoff team - in fact, they had a decent chance to make the WCF this year. Again, I'm not saying I agree with the logic. I just think it will be impossible to accurately evaluate the trade until 2-3 years later, which will hinge on PATFO's decision to trade, extend, or let DeRozan go and the pieces that fall in place after that.

I'm sure Spurstalk would have lost its mind this past season if the Spurs were a decent but not terrible lottery team, ended up with the 12th pick, and drafted PJ Washington, for example. Kawhi leaving was never going to result in a good outcome in the short-term. That is, good in the sense that Spurs would remain a championship contender.

Bottom line, and to return to the thread topic, I have a hard time envisioning a viable trade involving DeRozan this summer given PATFO's initial reasoning behind the trade to get him in the first place.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So why trade for him

Leverage. Best trade offered. This has been covered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't mean because spurs are going to do what they want to do, but when Windhorst ( on the zach lowe pod) mentioned the spurs being attached to Bojan, he and Lowe both agreed that spurs should trade Demar this offseason.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the better question is what teams could use DDR?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the better question is what teams could use DDR?
    if the clippers dont land kawhi...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm thinking Charlotte if Kemba leaves

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the clippers dont land kawhi...
    Yeah, Except if he does a 1+1 with Toronto the don’t want to take on money for next year in the hopes of landing Leonard then. No guarantee DDR opts out

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Except if he does a 1+1 with Toronto the don’t want to take on money for next year in the hopes of landing Leonard then. No guarantee DDR opts out
    With his injury history if 2 stays it will be a 5 year deal.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO Spurs only hope to contend is to get lucky in the draft again. Gotta hope Derozen has a better year 2 in the system and then try to get a first round pick for him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's still great regular season player that take a lot of the scoring and playmaking load...
    But he isn't though... That's like saying Melo is a great regular season player... Putting up empty stats and negative impact on a team doesn't make u great... And it's not an anomaly... Dude is 30,and has been that way his entire career... It's downhill from here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because everyone was lowballing us, and they thought the TOR package was the best on offer? Seriously, all these theoretical Clips/Lakers/Whoemever deals that people keep proposing as better than the TOR offer, do you actually believe they were offered at the time? I just see a lot of people making up rumours to on the PATFO...
    Literally... LITERALLY anyone would have been better than demar, as long as picks were involved

Believe.
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    What are the possibilities that Derozan is traded before the start of the season? Any local rumors?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are the possibilities that Derozan is traded before the start of the season? Any local rumors?
    It’s possible but nothing classified as likely. Depends on two things mostly: first and foremost does SA/DeRozan want an extension. If that is a no then it increases odds that he could be traded. Secondly if #1 happens would be which teams whiff in free agency. If some teams really want to win now, whiff in FA then that too bolsters the possibilities

Also, welcome to the forum

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only rumor I've heard is that all the local Jack in the Box restaurants are planning to adopt a 24 hour schedule, starting July 1, so that their parking lots will be available all night. But I haven't heard anything more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hornets could be a good landing spot for DeMar once Hornets officially loses Kemba.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeMar DeRozan for [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Andre Drummond[/COLOR]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing the Knicks will totally strike out in FA. They have like $70M in capspace, and if they want to be players next year, will need to fill some of that with 1 year deals to meet minimum payroll.
    And they did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So they thought the Toronto package was the best offer even though they didn't treat Derozan like a long-term piece the moment he got here per timvp?

And that shouldn't be held against the FO? Okay
    I am thinking timvp missed that call. PATFO is planning on keeping him at least as long as his current contract runs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So do the Lakers or Knicks come calling for DeRozan? Hmmmm...

Thread Information