San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No wonder you didn't accept the bet.
    Well ok......

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have figured out how to guard Duncan Robinson this season so his numbers are down. Still think he is worth 16 mil for a team with too much ball handlers. MIA would resign him his cap hold is very low and they can't afford to lose him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Brad Rowland @BTRowland
    2m
    The Hawks just presented the inaugural Sekou Smith award to John Collins. Award is to honor the player on the team’s roster who best represents themselves and the franchise with professionalism and integrity in their interactions with the media.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if D.J Wilson might be this year’s Tre Lyles-type addition?

Shown glimpses but never put it together. Worth taking a flyer on?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Collins is a good interior lob passer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at these FAs and draft, not gonna lie, it’s not looking good for next season. Winter is coming.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m for Bobby Portis. He’s been solid for the Bucks and has shot the 3 well. Not to mention adding some toughness.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m for Bobby Portis. He’s been solid for the Bucks and has shot the 3 well. Not to mention adding some toughness.
    I think Reggie Miller called him "Crazy Eyes" during a recent broadcast. Then they cut to Portis, and I was like, "Yep, dude looks crazy as , but in a good way." He seems like a good 80s/90s throwback player, but with a 3-point shot. He wouldn't make us a lot better, but would provide some needed, actual veteran leadership, if I had to guess. Sounds good to me in the absence of better options.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Reggie Miller called him "Crazy Eyes" during a recent broadcast. Then they cut to Portis, and I was like, "Yep, dude looks crazy as , but in a good way." He seems like a good 80s/90s throwback player, but with a 3-point shot. He wouldn't make us a lot better, but would provide some needed, actual veteran leadership, if I had to guess. Sounds good to me in the absence of better options.

I can’t see any scenario where Spurs put him in a position to injure someone like a Keldon or Samanic because the compe ive juices are flowing.

Spurs rolled the dice on their own version of a “crazy eyes” in bringing Stephen Jackson back. The guy was off the team the next year, axed right before the playoffs began.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I can’t see any scenario where Spurs put him in a position to injure someone like a Keldon or Samanic because the compe ive juices are flowing.

Spurs rolled the dice on their own version of a “crazy eyes” in bringing Stephen Jackson back. The guy was off the team the next year, axed right before the playoffs began.
    I was hoping more for Kurt Thomas style of crazy eyes, but I admit I haven’t followed Portis super closely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was hoping more for Kurt Thomas style of crazy eyes, but I admit I haven’t followed Portis super closely.
    He broke facial bones, gave his teammate a concussion, and hospitalized him. Hard pass. It’s not just his eyes that are crazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He broke facial bones, gave his teammate a concussion, and hospitalized him. Hard pass. It’s not just his eyes that are crazy.
    Apparently the spurs will entertain crazy just not that crazy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't have a problem with Portis myself. That poor choice happened 3 or 4 years ago and he hasn't been a problem since. He's got a toughness about him we could use and his 3 pt shooting would be welcomed. So, as long as the contract was palatable and he understood his role I'd be happy with signing him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls Locker Room Supports Bobby Portis in Nikola Mirotic Feud

“To a man, Portis punching a teammate was wrong. There's not one Bulls player disputing that. But as the Sun-Times initially reported, there continues to be a lingering sense that Mirotic came into training camp with a feeling of en lement, and that was not sitting well with many of his younger teammates.

When he made an aggressive motion toward Portis—not the first time the two have had issues with each other in practice over the years—the 22-year-old Portis obviously had enough."

​ Article goes on a little further with quotes from team mates basically saying “let’s move on” and the like but at the bottom it says

“Privately, however, the players may see things differently. In Portis, his teammates reportedly see "a guy that has put in all the work this summer, is a better teammate and is just more liked,"

Sounds to me like Nikola wanted smoke and got it. Now one of the em is in Spain and the other is playing a key role on an contending team with a chance at a ring. Bobby Portis is straight up loved.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...a-mirotic-feud

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls Locker Room Supports Bobby Portis in Nikola Mirotic Feud

“To a man, Portis punching a teammate was wrong. There's not one Bulls player disputing that. But as the Sun-Times initially reported, there continues to be a lingering sense that Mirotic came into training camp with a feeling of en lement, and that was not sitting well with many of his younger teammates.

When he made an aggressive motion toward Portis—not the first time the two have had issues with each other in practice over the years—the 22-year-old Portis obviously had enough."

​ Article goes on a little further with quotes from team mates basically saying “let’s move on” and the like but at the bottom it says

“Privately, however, the players may see things differently. In Portis, his teammates reportedly see "a guy that has put in all the work this summer, is a better teammate and is just more liked,"

Sounds to me like Nikola wanted smoke and got it. Now one of the em is in Spain and the other is playing a key role on an contending team with a chance at a ring. Bobby Portis is straight up loved.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...a-mirotic-feud

If that's the case, bring him on. If more minutes are in store for Luka next year, Bobby can be groomed to be his backup while Rudy can be the 3rd string PF mentoring both. I don't think Bobby would come in with an ego and would happily accept a backup role.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portis on the Bucks his good. Don't know what happens if you take Giannis out of the equation. He was considered as one of the worst defensive players prior to MIL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portis on the Bucks his good. Don't know what happens if you take Giannis out of the equation. He was considered as one of the worst defensive players prior to MIL.
    Spurs need size and they need shooting. They also need players that match the general timeline. He checks those boxes, and isn’t someone who will command a lengthy, big dollar deal like the often talked about names this FA period.

defensive lapses can be covered more easily off the bench, and he is at least marginally better than he once was at that end.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic has yet to prove he's an NBA player and as such, obviously has no chance to be a starter next season, especially for a team trying to "compete".

Portis is a good third big. Good shooter/scorer, solid rebounder, but a player who doesn't really have a defensive position in the modern NBA (not mobile enough to be a 4, nor a good enough rim protector to be a 5). He's perfect alongside the most amorphous, flexible defensive player in the league, in Antetokounmpo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic has yet to prove he's an NBA player and as such, obviously has no chance to be a starter next season, especially for a team trying to "compete".

Portis is a good third big. Good shooter/scorer, solid rebounder, but a player who doesn't really have a defensive position in the modern NBA (not mobile enough to be a 4, nor a good enough rim protector to be a 5). He's perfect alongside the most amorphous, flexible defensive player in the league, in Antetokounmpo.
    I don’t think we need to get too deep into Portis discourse because it’s unlikely it will come to pass anyway.

But last thing I will say is if they are in the market to pursue a stretch 4/5 type player as would make sense from a roster construction stand point - he at least makes some amount of sense as a cheaper alternative to a player like Lauri. If Samanic is indeed still not a factor in the rotation next season (highly unlikely), he serves as a decent stop gap until he is, or a new solution at the 4 is found.

I would gladly deal with 2 years of Bobby Portis and all his faults and potential shortcomings, than whatever contract it might take to lure the other FA targets.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think we need to get too deep into Portis discourse because it’s unlikely it will come to pass anyway.

But last thing I will say is if they are in the market to pursue a stretch 4/5 type player as would make sense from a roster construction stand point - he at least makes some amount of sense as a cheaper alternative to a player like Lauri. If Samanic is indeed still not a factor in the rotation next season (highly unlikely), he serves as a decent stop gap until he is, or a new solution at the 4 is found.

I would gladly deal with 2 years of Bobby Portis and all his faults and potential shortcomings, than whatever contract it might take to lure the other FA targets.
    Fair enough, but money shouldn't stop them from pursuing Markkanen or whoever. If they think he can be an above average starter and Portis just a good third big and the former costs around $20M annually while the latter goes for the MLE ($9-10M), the difference is essentially meaningless.

If you're going for the slow but steady rebuild they are, then step one in that goal is pushing to make the playoffs every season, so the number one question in free agency should be: Who helps you more to that end?

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently the spurs will entertain crazy just not that crazy.
    I point out that the Spurs entertained a guy called "The Worm" for a while. Brought the guy who isn't world peace, that was part of the conflict at the Palace of Auburn Hills into the NBA and then brought him back to San Antonio. The Spurs are fine with Crazy it just has to have good enough basketball come with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if D.J Wilson might be this year’s Tre Lyles-type addition?

Shown glimpses but never put it together. Worth taking a flyer on?
    I'd rather they keep Bates-Diop around and see if he can become a full - time contributor. He has the size, wingspan and defensive potential the team needs.

Wilson wasn't given many chances in Milwaukee, but he never showed enough for them to keep around.

I could see him staying in Houston and putting up decent - ish numbers on a bad team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I point out that the Spurs entertained a guy called "The Worm" for a while. Brought the guy who isn't world peace, that was part of the conflict at the Palace of Auburn Hills into the NBA and then brought him back to San Antonio. The Spurs are fine with Crazy it just has to have good enough basketball come with it.
    The Worm wasn’t brought in by PATFO. Just a bit before their time. He was shipped out by Pop, though, who was the GM at the time.

Jack was brought in the first time before The Malice, and the second time for salary cutting purposes. He had one year less than RJ left on his contract. Turns out that he had less time left hand that, as they booted him right before the 2013 playoffs.

Thread Information