Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Slow as , slow release would get packed into the 3rd row

No long defenders in those days, they had Dominique falling down defending him. No way he gets that kind of space against guys even like Pat Beverly much less Kawhi/Paul George etc

Basically the game back then was shooting guards and centers. No small forwards doing what they do now.

Put Doncic in that NBA and he dominates more than Bird.
    Good Lord!

BTW Dominique Wilkins, Alex English, Bernard King, Adrian Dantley, Dr J, Mark Aguirre, Dennis Rodman. What a bunch of scrubs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bird's passing is amazing

The only modern player who reminds me of Bird in that area is Jokic; his assists are really carbon copies of Bird's it's uncanny
    much shorter, skinnier Jokic is exactly what Bird would be in today's uber athletic NBA. He would be curb stomped. He would be a poor man's Lonzo Ball. Or a 1 inch taller Shaun Livingston. A role player who would have to make his shot a lot quicker to get it off against NBA level wing defenders.

Just look at other shooters and see their quick releases, to see what type of shooter works these days.

now slow ass Bird. Look at him double clutch every shot here and hold his elbow way out like a shot put. Easy to block that . Reminds me of Lonzo Ball

Last edited by phxspurfan; 06-15-2020 at 01:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I meant in term of passing, don’t get it twisted lol, and I don’t think Jokic has been curbstomped

Bird could hit quick release 3s, he didn’t have to do it often as he was able to create separation or was open

And yeah Bird won multiplet 3 pt contests but he reminds you of Lonzo, that logic
    Last edited by lefty; 06-15-2020 at 03:06 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Headshot.

I meant in term of passing, don’t get it twisted lol, and I don’t think Jokic has been curbstomped

Bird could hit quick release 3s, he didn’t have to do it often as he was able to create separation or was open

And yeah Bird won multiplet 3 pt contests but he reminds you of Lonzo, that logic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jokic is pretty decent, not doubt about that. Great court vision. Can pass over and under other centers. But -- Jokic is a center, guarded by centers. Which in today's NBA isn't saying much, as the centers today aren't what they were in the 90s or 2000s. They're all out of their element trying step back jumpers and . Big difference than being guarded by the best players in the NBA (wings). Also, Jokic gets tired playing like 30 minutes but thats beside the point lol

And I can win the lottery or have a 40" vert, I just need to watch some youtubes and try harder but too busy playing video games lulz

Anyway, to /thread:

Bird not the GOAT. Not even close to GOAT statusPERIOD

He was a cute 80s bballer who whites liked bc they wanted/needed someone to root for in a largely black sport. A good foil to compete with Magic and the Showtime Lakers. Also didn't have any physical gifts besides height, and his health fell off a cliff so his career doesn't even match guys like LeBron in the GOAT SF debate. That's it. And tbh he was overmatched by Jordan, the GOAT, who just happened to join the NBA in the same decade. Too bad the Bulls didn't get things together until the 90s, otherwise the C's would be like all the 90s guys with no rings bc of Mike.
    Last edited by phxspurfan; 06-15-2020 at 04:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol at the lottery analogy, but I meant he did
    He just didn’t do it often because of the reasons I mentioned

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    much shorter, skinnier Jokic is exactly what Bird would be in today's uber athletic NBA. He would be curb stomped. He would be a poor man's Lonzo Ball. Or a 1 inch taller Shaun Livingston. A role player who would have to make his shot a lot quicker to get it off against NBA level wing defenders.

Just look at other shooters and see their quick releases, to see what type of shooter works these days.

now slow ass Bird. Look at him double clutch every shot here and hold his elbow way out like a shot put. Easy to block that . Reminds me of Lonzo Ball

There are ways to make up for a slower release (ex creating more separation ala Harden). And basketball is not just about vertical athleticism...

Bird had every skill in the book and was ridiculously coordinated for his size. He would've been great in any era, especially one such as today where you can't touch anyone and people do almost nothing but run around and jack up 3s .

Tim Duncan made a career out of destroying guys who were bigger, stronger, and more athletic than him. In basketball, size, coordination, and skill can make up for athletic disadvantages.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel bad for fans who never got to watch Bird during his era. That guy had almost everything offensively: range, court vision, he was devastating in the post, reliable at the free throw line, even if you were up in his the guy could consistently hit difficult shots like no one I have seen other than Kobe, and he was legendarily clutch. Yeah he was horrendous defensively but he's right there with LeBron and Jordan for the most complete packages I have ever seen offensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Bird the best player with a terrible NBA body?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel bad for fans who never got to watch Bird during his era. That guy had almost everything offensively: range, court vision, he was devastating in the post, reliable at the free throw line, even if you were up in his the guy could consistently hit difficult shots like no one I have seen other than Kobe, and he was legendarily clutch. Yeah he was horrendous defensively but he's right there with LeBron and Jordan for the most complete packages I have ever seen offensively.
    For real. I was anti-Bird mostly because I was pro Magic starting with their college careers. And that was because I was pro Moncrief and Bird's team took them out of the bracket.

But yeah...unless you really saw him play, it would be hard to understand how great he really was. His understanding of the game and reflexes were as good as it gets. I'm not sure who the best comparison to him even is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Bird the best player with a terrible NBA body?
    No that's Charles Barkley

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No that's Charles Barkley
    That's a good one. I'd still give it to Bird though. Agguire was the first one that came to mind.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Truth!

Guy chain smoked and drank beer like crazy . Could barely jump over a monday morning newspaper...yet outsmarted everyone on the floor on a nightly basis. Really incredible to see him play and a shame he didn't take better care of himself. Would have loved to see him play into the late 90's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bird is also the GOAT trash talker

yeah other legends were good trash talkers but most of the time they talked trash against guys you expect them to beat

Bird was just on another level when it came to talk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you saying a garbage man is the GoAT?

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Such a hard working high IQ baller.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Such a hard working high IQ baller.
    You forgot crafty

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    No doubt Bird would be good today. But just another one of the good SFs. There are many like him now
    He'd be another Gordon Hayward at best. The NBA has real athletes now, not a bunch of plumbers and accountants for Bird to pad his stats against (while playing on mega-stacked teams).

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Desperate

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pretend GOAT MJ: He didn't take off his top yet. I'd hate to see him when he takes off his top.

Didn't need to.

Beat Dale Ellis, who many were saying was the best 3 shooter ever.

And raises the finger before the winning shot goes in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pretend GOAT MJ: He didn't take off his top yet. I'd hate to see him when he takes off his top.

Didn't need to.

Beat Dale Ellis, who many were saying was the best 3 shooter ever.

And raises the finger before the winning shot goes in.
    bragging over a score of 17 in the 3pt shootout. Never seen so many bricks in my life. I think Bonner and Belinelli both shot better when they were there.

Bertans would be a better shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bragging over a score of 17 in the 3pt shootout. Never seen so many bricks in my life. I think Bonner and Belinelli both shot better when they were there.

That specific contest was more about how he finished, he was going to lose then he flipped the switch

Bird also scored 24 or 25 in his first 3 pt contest win, you know when not every ball (or something like that) was worth 2 points like in today’s 3 point contest
    Amd before the same contest he asked his opponents who was going to finish 2nd

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He had to miss a few to make it close and dramatic.

TBH though:

College Bird w/no severed finger: Pistol Pete, Predrag Stojakovic, Drazen Petrovic
    Pro Bird w/ severed finger: Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Dirk Plus

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That specific contest was more about how he finished, he was going to lose then he flipped the switch

Bird also scored 24 or 25 in his first 3 pt contest win, you know when not every ball (or something like that) was worth 2 points like in today’s 3 point contest
    Amd before the same contest he asked his opponents who was going to finish 2nd
    The balls were a bit weightier then, too. It had a significant effect on percentages.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The balls were a bit weightier then, too. It had a significant effect on percentages.
    True true

Thread Information