Page 86 of 115 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2866
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Deni might be the only guy whose contract could pay for itself with sponsorships and the like.

As the number one hyped star of a country, he could pull in a lot of money for whoever drafts him. That team might instantly become 'Israel's Team' and get all the benefits one might expect like Yao and China and like Tony and France.

And he's much more hyped and beloved than Caspi was, he's the man.

Maybe front offices don't take that into consideration, but the business side will certainly think about it.
    Not a chance dude, Israel is tiny - like 10 million people...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure would be an upgrade. I don't think you have to be timid about it... Poeltl is simply not a vertical spacer. He's not a lob threat in the slightest - to the point where, during the bubble, I was kind of wondering if there's something with his knees that he'd rather avoid jumping to worsen. He's not a strong finisher either, neither as a roll man off a PnR or on the rare occasions he gets the ball in the post. No post game, no fakes, no hook shot, no midrange catch-and-shoot nor pullup, obviously no 3 - his "offensive arsenal" is literally nothing more than a soft floater on occasion, and the easy spoon-fed-by-PG points that literally any bench or starting C in the league could get. At no point has Jakob looked like a sure starter or came close to being a player who can "hold down the C position" for any number of years, tbh.

A team just can't be getting 0 offensive production from one of their players in this modern age, no matter the position. I'm itching for the Spurs to draft a big man, either a 4 but preferrably a 5, just so they don't delude themselves into giving Jakob a deal akin in proportion to what they gave DJ. That was a stupid move, and putting a lot of money on Jakob would be stupid as well. The sooner the FO realizes Jakob is a glorified bench C, the better, tbh. I don't care whether it's Okongwu, or Okoro, or Smith or Precious or even Wiseman by trading up. Jakob is not a starter on a championship caliber team - maybe not even a starter on a high seeded playoff team, unless he's very well surrounded, imo.
    Not saying I agree or disagree... But I do think there's a strong chance you're going to be disappointed by the Spurs likely giving Jakob an extension this offseason. To me, all indications point to them thinking very high of Jakob and in his development. I think they have invested so much in him that they're going to double down on it. And would that be surprising? The Spurs org. doubles down on almost everything that they put in time into. I do honestly feel they view him as a long term Spur, along with Eubanks (for better or for worse).
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-18-2020 at 08:52 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^11th pick has netted some great players:

Klay Thompson
    Bonzi Wells
    Allan Houston
    Myles Turner
    Domantas Sabonis
    Shai Alexander
    Robert Horry
    Reggie Miller

I guess the only go to guy here is Klay, Reggie, and Allan, and maybe potentially Shai
    Wasn’t Paul Pierce also an 11th pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not saying I agree or disagree... But I do think there's a strong chance you're going to be disappointed by the Spurs likely giving Jakob an extension this offseason. To me, all indications point to them thinking very high of Jakob and in his development. I think they have invested so much in him that they're going to double down on it. And would that be surprising? The Spurs org. doubles down on almost everything that they put in time into. I do honestly feel they view him as a long term Spur, along with Eubanks (for better or for worse).
    Oh, don't get me wrong - I wouldn't mind Jakob being resigned at all, in fact I'd like that. All I'm saying is, he is merely a stopgap - not good enough offensively to contribute as a starter, but his defense can keep him there for the time being. Eventually, the Spurs will have to either draft, or sign a FA that will actually produce from the C position. Poeltl is especially good to resign, in fact, since he's bound to be gotten for cheap - he's an archetype that's no longer in high demand, in a very weak year to be a FA. Getting him signed long-term for pennies on the dollar is a W for the Spurs in their current structure, but if they ever get out of this rebuild and into "spooky" or nigh-contender territory again, Jakob either has to ride on the bench, or get the out. And considering his interviews, I have a feeling it'll be the latter before the former.

Another reason he'll 100% be resigned by the Spurs is that they don't want to be looked at as having lost the Kawhi trade. Letting him walk in FA will be seen badly among the league. I'm not mad at that.... But I certainly would like the Spurs to draft a center either in this draft, or the next one, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say if he gets paid 10 mil or less per year = yeah, he's a stop gap

But if it's more, or especially near DJ salary territory = then it indicates they're committed to him being the future at starting center. That's simply too much money tied to a backup center if it happens

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But if it's more, or especially near DJ salary territory = then it indicates they're committed to him being the future at starting center. That's simply too much money tied to a backup center if it happens
    I think anything more then MLE would be more then a backupbig. I actually think anything more then 5 mil would be to much for a backup big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Giving Poeltl more than about $6 million per year would be pretty dumb, tbh. Giving him Murray money would be criminally insane.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giving Poeltl more than about $6 million per year would be pretty dumb, tbh. Giving him Murray money would be criminally insane.
    Agree, poeltl can't even play in closing lineups in the bubble. The value of centers decreases year by year, there's gonna be a center worth 10 mil now that you can get for 4-5mil in the next few free agencies.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree, poeltl can't even play in closing lineups in the bubble. The value of centers decreases year by year, there's gonna be a center worth 10 mil now that you can get for 4-5mil in the next few free agencies.
    I would really like to see whether the Spurs could get Christian Woods to fill the big position, rather than just extend Poeltl with a huge amount.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. He's going to command stop-gap level money, whether the Spurs see him as a future piece or interim solution. The team doesn't have to move on from him this season by drafting a C necessarily, but they shouldn't discard it as an option either, especially if it manifests as a center BPA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure. Good players fall that low and lower. But if you look at the whole draft history, it's really stacked to the first 7 picks. Klay and Bonzi were both in draft classes that were VERY deep through about the first 12 picks. Even then, those guys only fell to 11 because teams took flyers on guys like fat-ass Robert Traylor and Jimmer Fredette. Bonzi at 11 isn't nearly as amazing as Dirk and Paul Pierce at 9 and 10.

My point was just about expected value. By the time you reach 11, snagging a solid, consistent player is a good outcome. Most of the unicorns are gone. The Spurs have been better than most at getting value from late positions, but not every class has even one Kawhi-class player. If they can grab a Nic Batum-type player, it won't be a bad outcome. It's just that lots of people believe that if the Spurs can get Kawhi with the 15th pick, they ought to be able to get something at least that good with 11.
    Peak Batum was about 15/6/6 and decent D. I'd be very happy with that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't say I'm thinking that the Spurs have to make a choice between the current young guys.

But I see an opportunity to improve the whole roster, and typically you have to give something to get something. The reported speculation listed the Pistons looking to first or second year players, and Lonnie fits the bill. And the two highest rated centers, but especially Okongwu, are expected to be off the board by 11.

If I had to choose between Lonnie and Okongwu, I might go Okongwu to shift roster resources. But I definitely wouldn't add #11, I would only consider straight up.
    There's no in way you trade Lonnie Walker. Kid got star potential, he'd be a top 5 pick in this draft

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would really like to see whether the Spurs could get Christian Woods to fill the big position, rather than just extend Poeltl with a huge amount.
    I wish people would stop bringing him up he is going to be paid by detroit and they are hoping they have the money to pay him but they could pa more then us as all we have is MLE. Someone on their team would be Thon Maker. He has alot of what we are looking for just hasnt come onto the scene yet. You cant wait for players to break out and then try and sign them you have to try and get them before they break out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish people would stop bringing him up he is going to be paid by detroit and they are hoping they have the money to pay him but they could pa more then us as all we have is MLE. Someone on their team would be Thon Maker. He has alot of what we are looking for just hasnt come onto the scene yet. You cant wait for players to break out and then try and sign them you have to try and get them before they break out.
    Maker’s a bust. He’s been in the league for four years, and if there were some amazing talent well to be tapped, it would have been, by now. Just another athlete/youtuber trying to become a basketball player.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Peak Batum was about 15/6/6 and decent D. I'd be very happy with that.

I would take it, too. And he could be that good.

But that's not what we were talking about. Do you build a roster around Batum, or a very similar player? The short answer is "no". (And nobody did that with Batum, for all of his positives.) The point is, Avdija isn't "the guy". He would be a damn good building block - but he's not going to fall as low as 11 anyway. If he did somehow, he was be a no-brainer pick for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Halliburton is more attainable if we're trading up since he's likely to be there around 5-10.

Just trade up to get Halliburton while somehow keeping the 11th or getting a trade partner for another 1st round pick in the middle of the 1st round. With that second 1st, get Jalen Smith.

The boost to the overall team IQ would be insane.

Halliburton/ White/ Q
    DeMar/ Lonnie
    Keldon/ MLE
    Smith/ Lyles/ Samanic
    Aldridge/ Poetl/ Eubanks

4th seed in the West, easily.

And if we're a lottery team again next year, use a lottery pick on either a wing or a center.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maker’s a bust. He’s been in the league for four years, and if there were some amazing talent well to be tapped, it would have been, by now. Just another athlete/youtuber trying to become a basketball player.
    Woods bounced around as well. Woods was on his 5th team Maker has only been on 2. Both have player 4 years in the NBA. It sometimes takes finding the right spot to finally start playing well. You will get some jackie butler but you also have to look at some of these people tht are out there. we need more bigs and he is a mobile big that cam shoot the 3 and he should be cheap to bring in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would take it, too. And he could be that good.

But that's not what we were talking about. Do you build a roster around Batum, or a very similar player? The short answer is "no". (And nobody did that with Batum, for all of his positives.) The point is, Avdija isn't "the guy". He would be a damn good building block - but he's not going to fall as low as 11 anyway. If he did somehow, he was be a no-brainer pick for the Spurs.
    Oh, I wasn't advocating for Avdija-- just agreeing with you on reasonable expectations for a #11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Metu with some playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't say I'm thinking that the Spurs have to make a choice between the current young guys.

But I see an opportunity to improve the whole roster, and typically you have to give something to get something. The reported speculation listed the Pistons looking to first or second year players, and Lonnie fits the bill. And the two highest rated centers, but especially Okongwu, are expected to be off the board by 11.

If I had to choose between Lonnie and Okongwu, I might go Okongwu to shift roster resources. But I definitely wouldn't add #11, I would only consider straight up.
    You can make that call a year from now too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Halliburton is more attainable if we're trading up since he's likely to be there around 5-10.

Just trade up to get Halliburton while somehow keeping the 11th or getting a trade partner for another 1st round pick in the middle of the 1st round. With that second 1st, get Jalen Smith.

The boost to the overall team IQ would be insane.

Halliburton/ White/ Q
    DeMar/ Lonnie
    Keldon/ MLE
    Smith/ Lyles/ Samanic
    Aldridge/ Poetl/ Eubanks

4th seed in the West, easily.

And if we're a lottery team again next year, use a lottery pick on either a wing or a center.
    I think Poeltl leaves if he gets a better offer because he clearly thinks himself starter material

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Poeltl leaves if he gets a better offer because he clearly thinks himself starter material
    It’s actually the Spurs decision to keep him or not, if he gets an offer. He’s restricted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s actually the Spurs decision to keep him or not, if he gets an offer. He’s restricted.
    I just meant that he didn't really impress, imo, in the Bubble and thus given the already tight cap situation the Spurs are in this summer, much of anything north of what he's making now ought to be sufficient for PATFO to let him walk. To me, you let him walk and go show out if he can elsewhere

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://instagram.com/stories/the.is...=1ivltglsyzlw6

Isaiah Stewart greeting DJ and using a black heart. Hmm....
    ace3g if you have time only, please upload otherwise thanks for all the work you do
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-19-2020 at 09:02 PM.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://instagram.com/stories/the.is...=1ivltglsyzlw6

Isaiah Stewart greeting DJ and using a black heart. Hmm....
    ace3g if you have time only, please upload otherwise thanks for all the work you do
    hope pop aint see this, stewart is not worth 11th pick

Thread Information