Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So as it has slowed down a bit, and I am sitting here watching Hardwood Classics, and a question came up that I would like too ask the members of the forum.

What player past, or present, do you think could have truly been special if they either had the work ethic, or simply had it between the ears so to speak?

I think Josh Howard could have been really special...gave the Spurs fits, but never seemed dedicated to the game, and thus is mostly forgotten.

Post your thoughts on other players. I have a lot of other players in mind, but want to see what you guys and gals think.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dwight Howard. Easily one of the most physically gifted players of his generation, but his approach to the game and mental limmitations kept him from maximizing his potential. Even with that said, he was dominant for a couple of years. If he had the heart and mind, he could have been very special. As is, he’s one of my least favorite players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dwight Howard. Easily one of the most physically gifted players of his generation, but his approach to the game and mental limmitations kept him from maximizing his potential. Even with that said, he was dominant for a couple of years. If he had the heart and mind, he could have been very special. As is, he’s one of my least favorite players.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dwight Howard and Josh Howard were lazy thugs. If you ask me, they overachieved.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Michael Beasley wasn't all drugged up I think he would have had a better career. Also whatever happened to Isaiah Rider? I remember a lot of people being high on him. But my number 1 would be Vin Baker. I met the dude a year ago (sidenote- it's unreal how tall he is) at a sports camp and he is in a really good place right now, but alcohol really did him in. He was all set to be a sure-fire hall of famer and then he ends up broke at a starbucks. Though last I heard he was coaching Giannis in Milwaukee teaching him how to post up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was about to post Len. His tragic death sent the Celtics reeling for about a decade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Roy Tarpley.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s add a 2nd question. Same set up on approach to the game limiting their career.

1.) player who could have been truly special league wide past or present?

2.) player who could have contributed meaningful rotation minutes to the Spurs past or present? Not necessarily truly special, but could have been around longer and done more.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Len Bias is probably the best possible answer to number 1.

The Howards being a lazy thugs and over achieving is exactly why they are good choices. Had they not been punks, they could have achieved so much more.

My answer to number 2 is Devin Brown. I really liked what he brought to the game for the Spurs when he played, but he didn’t seem to have the work ethic or focus necessary to succeed.
    Last edited by High Plains Drifter; 09-02-2018 at 11:03 PM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reggie Lewis. Should've been on Dream Team I, tbh.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Len Bias is probably the best possible answer to number 1.

The Howard’s being a lazy thugs and over achieving is exactly why they are good choices. Had they not been punks, they could have achieved so much more.

My answer to number 2 is Devin Brown. I really liked what he brought to the game for the Spurs when he played, but he didn’t seem to have the work ethic or focus necessary to succeed.
    Yea, but it was part of their DNA all along. Shaq could've probably won eight rings or more if it wasn't part of his DNA for instance. He wasn't less gifted than Hakeem; but Hakeem handed him his ass in 94.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair enough. I guess I hadn’t thought of the question quite that way.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi Leonard. He a instead.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am going to look at things another way,

Having seen him quite a bit in college I am going to say Greg Oden, he was set to be a dominant big man, and his knees and body just went on him.

Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway were both low tier special but both went from going to be wow level amazing to pretty good.

Banned
    My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Me honestly. But NBA is racist and can't have an undersized white guy showing s up. I otherwise would've made three or four all-star teams already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathan Bender, TBH.
    The first coming of KD.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jermaine O'Neal. I felt he was never the same after the Malice in the Palace Brawl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no mention of greg oden? can play with either hand, but 2 bad knees did him in...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we’re gonna start bringing injuries into the subject.. I’m going with Brandon Roy. He was easily going to be a top player in the league during his prime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's cool. Anyways, ifit's probably Bias, but damn Eddy Curry come on, all you had to do was take some serious and you would have made so much more money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi Leonard. He a

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we’re gonna start bringing injuries into the subject.. I’m going with Brandon Roy. He was easily going to be a top player in the league during his prime.
    Roy was the Duncan of guards. So fundamentally sound. Deceptively athletic without relying on it. Clutch as .

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know about all star caliber or anything but as far as former Spurs go, I thought James Anderson could have really become something if not for the injuries

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boris Diaw could have been a lot better if hadn’t been so nonchalant... and he was almost too unselfish

Thread Information