Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My daughter wants a drum set for Christmas. Which I realize is loud as . I'm thinking about getting her an electronic drum kit to be able to control the volume. But that seems like it might not be the best way to start off learning the drums.

Anyone drummers out there that have an opinion on this?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Most drummers will tell you they prefer an acoustic set which are usually cheaper, and no amp, but modern techno drummers like the electric kind.
    Don't waste money on a cheap set, get either a Roland or a Yamaha if you can afford it and if she is old enough to understand the presets as well as be able to take care of it.
    You will need to get a small cheap amp to go with it.
    And the electronic ones are not cheap, but have obvious advantages, such as the use of headphones which you'll also need to buy.
    However if you go the acoustic route, you can find them at most pawn shops, but they are loud.
    Good luck.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Most drummers will tell you they prefer an acoustic set which are usually cheaper, and no amp, but modern techno drummers like the electric kind.
    Don't waste money on a cheap set, get either a Roland or a Yamaha if you can afford it and if she is old enough to understand the presets as well as be able to take care of it.
    And the electronic ones are not cheap, but have obvious advantages, such as the use of headphones which you'll also need to buy.
    However if you go the acoustic route, you can find them at most pawn shops, but they are loud.
    Good luck.
    Thanks. I'm worried that if she starts off with an electronic kit, she'll never learn the control she would with an acoustic set. The other plus which you hit on is the cost. I think I can find a decent acoustic kit for a few hundred dollars. At least something that'll last long enough to know if she'll continue playing. But yeah...it'll be loud as .

It's either that or a bunny.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thanks. I'm worried that if she starts off with an electronic kit, she'll never learn the control she would with an acoustic set. The other plus which you hit on is the cost. I think I can find a decent acoustic kit for a few hundred dollars. At least something that'll last long enough to know if she'll continue playing. But yeah...it'll be loud as .

It's either that or a bunny.
    Then by far the acoustic set is the way to go, especially to learn technique, but it will drive you crazy unless you also fork over some money for some lessons. It will be very loud. Buy some earplugs for the rest of the family.
    It will be the cheapest route to see if she is interested or not and if she has any talent.
    Electronic sets are not worth buying unless you get one of the two better brands already mentioned and they start in over $1,500. Plus you have to master the presets.
    A lot of acoustic drummers these days are going both routes by installing electronic "triggers" in their acoustic sets, but that is after they know how to drum well and want the versatility.

I have both sets here at my house in my studio, and without a doubt every drummer I know always picks the acoustic set to jam on. Only the novices and wannabe drummers pick the electronic set.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Then by far the acoustic set is the way to go, especially to learn technique, but it will drive you crazy unless you also fork over some money for some lessons. It will be very loud. Buy some earplugs for the rest of the family.
    It will be the cheapest route to see if she is interested or not and if she has any talent.
    Electronic sets are not worth buying unless you get one of the two better brands already mentioned and they start in over $1,500. Plus you have to master the presets.
    A lot of acoustic drummers these days are going both routes by installing electronic "triggers" in their acoustic sets, but that is after they know how to drum well and want the versatility.
    Wouldn't think of doing it without lessons. Yeah...I think acoustic is where we end up. Just have to deal with the noise. The dogs will go nuts.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Wouldn't think of doing it without lessons. Yeah...I think acoustic is where we end up. Just have to deal with the noise. The dogs will go nuts.
    I hope I was able to help.
    How old is she?
    They do make different sizes depending on age too, the smaller ones being much cheaper.
    Most "purest" drummers will steer you toward the acoustic route in drum sets.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    One last thing to be aware of, cymbals. DO NOT BUY CHEAP CYMBALS. Spend the extra money, you'll be glad you did in the long run. Zildjian are one of the best brands but too expensive for the novice. Just find some that are medium grade. Again you can get good buys at pawn shops.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I hope I was able to help.
    How old is she?
    They do make different sizes depending on age too, the smaller ones being much cheaper.
    Most "purest" drummers will steer you toward the acoustic route in drum sets.
    She's 13. She played percussion in her MS band and ended up on the snare mostly and she enjoyed it. I'll probably go ahead and get a full size.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Viva Las Espuelas is I believe

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    She's 13. She played percussion in her MS band and ended up on the snare mostly and she enjoyed it. I'll probably go ahead and get a full size.
    Sounds great, but remember the tip about the cymbals. People think they can get by with cheap ones, until they have to buy them over and over again and waste lots of money.
    Cheap ones crack and break quickly, the expense can pile up fast. You can always sell good cymbals online or Craigslist for almost what you invested if she loses interest.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sounds great, but remember the tip about the cymbals. People think they can get by with cheap ones, until they have to buy them over and over again and waste lots of money.
    Cheap ones crack and break quickly, the expense can pile up fast. You can always sell good cymbals online or Craigslist for almost what you invested if she loses interest.
    Thanks for the tip.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    they sell rubber pads to place on each drum or cymbal to help mute the sound some

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah. What they said. You shouldn't worry too much about technique if they go from an electronic kit to an acoustic one. Yeah, the surfaces are different but muscles are trainable. Its actually good to switch from both to build them up. I do that. For playing, that is. I'm not saying you get muscular doing it. And cymbals aren't that much of a big deal. It takes a lot to break one if it's of good quality or bad. Plus, breaking cymbals is just bad technique. Craigslist will be your friend. Especially, since it's the holidays. Go get yourself a crack gift

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah. What they said. You shouldn't worry too much about technique if they go from an electronic kit to an acoustic one. Yeah, the surfaces are different but muscles are trainable. Its actually good to switch from both to build them up. I do that. For playing, that is. I'm not saying you get muscular doing it. And cymbals aren't that much of a big deal. It takes a lot to break one if it's of good quality or bad. Plus, breaking cymbals is just bad technique. Craigslist will be your friend. Especially, since it's the holidays. Go get yourself a crack gift
    You're saying that it wouldn't be a big deal for her to start on electronic and then go to acoustic? From a noise standpoint, that would be way better.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was a drummer. I'd start with the electronic set just so you can preserve your sanity. Earphones are great. You can still hear them tapping away, but it's more like a practice pad than a drum.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Good luck.
    Just go with Pearl clear double bass with roto toms and a ride and crash cymbal (Turkish) and you'll be fine. Buy brushes. They need to learn to play rhythm and brushes are great for that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was a drummer. I'd start with the electronic set just so you can preserve your sanity. Earphones are great. You can still hear them tapping away, but it's more like a practice pad than a drum.
    Thanks. I've done a 180. With an acoustic set, we'd probably always be arguing about when she can play and for how long. This way, It won't matter. Really a no brainier if there's no big drawback.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Like I said electronic drums are expensive. Roland and Yamaha are the standard bearers, with Roland a shade better.
    I have a set of acoustics and electronic.
    There are cheap electronic sets out there, but they are the equivalent of toys, terrible quality and constantly break with no warranty.
    Good luck.

silverblk mystix

How do you get a drummer to leave your porch?

Pay him for the pizza!

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How do you get a drummer to leave your porch?

Pay him for the pizza!

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How can you tell a drummer is at the door?

The knocking speeds up.

silverblk mystix
    How can you tell when a drummer is at the front door?

The knocking starts normally then it speeds up then it goes slow then speeds up again....

silverblk mystix
    oh - beat me to it!

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What's the last thing a drummer says in a band?

Hey, how about we try one of my songs?

silverblk mystix
    What do you call a drummer who breaks up with his girlfriend?

Homeless

Thread Information