Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2002 WCF officiating was nearly as bad as 2006 NBA Finals
    They were both bad; but at you pretending 2006 was worse, homer.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    They were both bad; but at you pretending 2006 was worse, homer.
    From GM 4 on, if you got within 3 feet of Dwhistle it was a foul.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From GM 4 on, if you got within 3 feet of Dwhistle it was a foul.
    You're not gonna find a non Mavs fan who agrees with you on 06 being worse than 02. Not gonna happen.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    okay, lets just set the record straight on some of these advanced stats so we can move on from them

first, your claim about the win shares being dependents on the number of wins isnt entirely true. you can lose a lot of games and still have a very high ws/48. for example in 03-04, when the mavs lost to the kings in 5 games, dirk put up a ws/48 of .287, which was the highest of any player in the playoffs that year, because he was so dominant in that series despite his team being horribly outmatched.

now lets look at the actual advanced stats

regular season careers
    ws/48
    dirk - .193 (+.011)
    kg - .182

total ws
    dirk - 206.3 (+14.9)
    kg - 191.4

bpm
    dirk - 4.5
    kg - 5.6 (+1.1)

vorp
    dirk - 84.8
    kg - 96.9 (+12.1)

ortg/drtg differential
    dirk - +12 (+1)
    kg - +11

per
    dirk - 22.4
    kg - 22.7 (+0.3)

so for their regular season careers, they are very close in most categories, and pretty much cancel each other out with notable differences in two categories (dirk in ws, kg in vorp). both had great careers and proved quite valuable to their teams during the regular season, racking up lots of wins.

now lets see the playoff stats
    ws/48
    dirk - .188 (+.039)
    kg - .149

total ws
    dirk - 23.1 (+6.7)
    kg - 16.4

bpm
    dirk - 5.9 (+0.8)
    kg - 5.1

vorp
    dirk - 11.8 (+2.4)
    kg - 9.4

ortg/drtg differential
    dirk - +10 (+4)
    kg - +6

per
    dirk - 23.8 (+2.7)
    kg - 21.1

so come playoffs, dirk beats kg in literally every single one of these categories

for people to claim kg is so much better in so many facets of basketball, its odd that these stats clearly favor dirks value in the playoffs when facing top notch compe ion

either dirks offensive value just far outweighs kgs values in other aspects of basketball, or perhaps kg simply isnt that far ahead of dirk in those aspects. no question kgs a better defender, but dirk was at least passable on defense, a very underrated rebounder, and his exceptionally low turnover rate for a scorer like himself is underappreciated a lot too.
    Well

KG was elite MVP-caliber player from 2000-2008 (in 2000 all-nba teamer and all-star for first time, 2nd in MVP voting, 3rd in MVP voting in 2008)
    Dirk was elite MVP-caliber player from 2002-2011 (in 2002 all-nba teamer and all-star simulteniously for 1st time, Fiba World Cup MVP, 6th in MVP voting in 2011 )
    Both were the same age at 23

Their stats in the playoffs in those years:
    KG - 61 games 22.3 ppg 12.8 rpg 4.5 apg 1.4 spg 1.5 bpg 2.9 tpg 47.1% fg and 51.5 ts%
    Dirk - 114 games 26.1 ppg 10.6 rpg 2.7 apg 1.1 spg 1.0 bpg 2.4 tpg 46.7% fg and 58.5 ts%

other stats:
    KG - 24.5 per; 28,7 usage rate; 0.175 ws/per48, 6.9 bpm and 5.6 vorp (counting stat, more game ->higher value)
    Dirk - 25.0 per; 27.3 usage rate; 0.207 ws/per48, 6.7 bpm and 10.3 vorp

Total career playoffs games: KG-143 Dirk-145. First guy played 43% of games as superstar player, second 79%. KG from 2002-2006, his best years, played just 27 games in 5 seasons (5,4 games per year). It prevented him from increasing his stats. All of it should be taken into account when you're comparing their playoffs careers.

Some observations:
    1. KG had usage of 28.3 even higher than Dirk. While it's flawed stat and Dirk was more impactful and active on offense, it's still shows that KG wasn't disappearing in the playoffs (you didn't tell it Neo, but others did);
    2. They had quite similar stats (win shares favours players on better teams, per favours offensive players, while some adv. stats are designed in favour of player like KG). KG also played 36% of games less as an elite player in postseason.

Because of all these combined factors ^, I don't see that Dirk's superior offense gives him advantage in impact over KG's versatility. It looks like they had similar overall impact but in different way. It also looks like Dirk's team success can be attributed for playing for superior franchise and they're should be ranked next to each other in no particular order.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well

KG was elite MVP-caliber player from 2000-2008 (in 2000 all-nba teamer and all-star for first time, 2nd in MVP voting, 3rd in MVP voting in 2008)
    Dirk was elite MVP-caliber player from 2002-2011 (in 2002 all-nba teamer and all-star simulteniously for 1st time, Fiba World Cup MVP, 6th in MVP voting in 2011 )
    Both were the same age at 23
    KG was elite in 2009 pre-injury and would've been presumably much better 09-12 had that not occurred.
    I give Dirk 2012, too w/o the benefit of looking at stats. He didn't drop that much in a year.
    Fact is Mavs would've been challenging for a repeat if Cuban hadn't cheaped out on signing Chandler.
    I don't know the NBA financials, but with all that revenue sharing sh** it's entirely possible that Cuban was going to make more money with the Heat winning going forward.
    And if not, I don't put it past Stern to do backroom deals either to incentivize him.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    swap Hakeem and Kobe imo

11. Oscar
    12. Kobe
    13. Curry
    14. Dr. J
    15. Moses
    16. Garnett
    17. D. Robinson
    18. Nowitzki
    19. Barkley
    20. Durant
    swap that virginia slims on yo mouth with muh and tell
    me how that taste like

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, I'll take JET over Derozan any day. So you have a point there. But I think Wally is better than you are crediting him for. Look at his FG% and 3-fg %...higher than Jet's.
    So? Terry had more creative ability and responsibility, which meant more pull up attempts.

They were both good shooters and sub par defenders, but Terry was the superior creator/play maker and had longevity.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5. Len Bias
    25. Michael Jordan

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Shame that Walton was injured.

Bias could help to extend Celtics sucess straight through the late 90s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walton gave kareem the business

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Walton gave kareem the business
    Kareem gave Bill the business

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real question. Where do you rank the Admiral? Peak for peak I think he’s one of the greatest players ever but career wise he did fall shorter than original expectations. Some of that is bad luck, lots of injuries to himself and teammates, bad front office hiring 6 coaches in 5 years, and people forget we were robbed 2 more excellent years because of his commitment to the Navy. If Robinson has 2 more years like his rookie year (which seems plausible) I think he would be ranked so much higher than he is now

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"How Danny Ainge is not in the Hall of Fame player is beyond me."
    "Danny Ainge was an elite player who took a subservient role for the sake of winning."

Tell 'em, Bill.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, I know there's a case that he's not top 25.
    He couldn't shoot the three very well.
    He may be the most over-rated defender of all-time besides Kobe.
    There was about six fake fouls called for him every game.
    He never won a championship that wasn't handed to him.

But he was quite athletic and skilled and probably in that 20-30 range.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

True true

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KG > Dirk

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Real question. Where do you rank the Admiral? Peak for peak I think he’s one of the greatest players ever but career wise he did fall shorter than original expectations. Some of that is bad luck, lots of injuries to himself and teammates, bad front office hiring 6 coaches in 5 years, and people forget we were robbed 2 more excellent years because of his commitment to the Navy. If Robinson has 2 more years like his rookie year (which seems plausible) I think he would be ranked so much higher than he is now
    Most list have him at about 30 which I agree with. Him getting undressed by Hakeem in 95 did not help his cause. I felt like that team with Rodman should have rang. But they didn't thanks to lack of leadership.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if ur a loser like KG, ur only option is to pad ur stats to make it look like ur elite...do they translate to wins?...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I used to love watching him make racial slurs to Dirk(you could easily read his lips) And Dirk took his azz to the cleaners time after time. Same thing with Duncan. He had no shot vs Tim and was outclassed. Yet he was still jawing when they were down 15 in the 4th vs SA

I like KG but have a hard time seeing how people place him over Dirk, all things considered.

if ur a loser like KG, ur only option is to pad ur stats to make it look like ur elite...do they translate to wins?...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks when what you think you know comes shattering.
    It's really hard for fan boys to accept.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Sucks when what you think you know comes shattering.
    It's really hard for fan boys to accept.
    Not one word of what you said was true

But you are entertaining. Thanks

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not one word of what you said was true

But you are entertaining. Thanks
    You have a lot of decent enough takes.

But the Jordan propaganda is ingrained in you.

It'll take a long time for you to shake those shackles.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Lets examine what you said:

At of all that, didn't shoot the three very well is the only one you can legitmately argue in comparison to other superstars. And we are also talking about the same guy who broke a Finals record for 3 pointers vs Portland. So he could shoot the 3, but it really wasn't a thing then, so he didn't. The other stuff you mentioned are either subjective and/or the kind of stuff that you could say about any other superstar.

You have a lot of decent enough takes.

But the Jordan propaganda is ingrained in you.

It'll take a long time for you to shake those shackles.

Thread Information