Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-draf...s-discussions/

Some interesting tidbits in there, I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's up timvp, have a good one tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks timvp. Excited to hear about your free agency thoughts in a few days. Hopefully some summer league grades also. GSG!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Were the Spurs just not interested in trading any of the picks by the time the draft started? Despite the assumption that it was gonna happen, it's sounding as though that the Spurs were content with using all three picks.

Duren getting picked at 13 and then being traded had Spurs written all over it. From what I've seen from the Hornets fanbase, they hate the return they got and the Spurs could have offered something much better. Now the Pistons are the winners of this years draft.

That said, I LOVE all three picks so it's not the end of the world. I'm just having a hard time shaking off Sochan + Duren when it was sitting there.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, this went about the opposite of last year. I suppose it’s assumed, but have to say that Brian Wright is doing good work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting Barlow greatly softens my critique about passing up on Jovic or Liddell at 25. Nonetheless, it's clear the team has a glut at the guard position and something or sonethings will have to give (or go).

As I posted pre-draft, I got 2 of my guys I wanted in the top 20. I was and remain whelmed by the Wesley pick at 25 especially because I think Jovic would have been special on this team. But if the kid was dominating in personal workouts, then you take him I suppose. But I also wrote yesterday that Wesley would be a 2 yr minimum project, so that doesnt really jive with that supposed dominance you described. If the kid is that athletic, that quick and already that advanced, then 2 years in Austin make zero sense except in Pop's old-fashioned development mind.

All in all, I like this draft especiallywith Barlow coming in low key on the back door. Ive since watched some tape on him and he looks to be a potential real producer someday once he gets his body NBA ready..

That said I thing Daniels and Dieng will be special as well and they were who I preferred at 9 just ahead of Sochan. But this team desperately needs defense and his flexibility helps this team on Day 1. Branham is gonna be good. Maybe really good. So I absolutely LOVED those first 2 picks. But I remain perplexed at the roster construction especially with the PATFO plan of pigeonholing Primo into the PG role...then drafting yet another 6'4 ball hungry guard. I see Branham able to play wing a bit, if not the SG position.

Looks like Walker, Jones, Richardson, Weiskamp, Cacok, and Langford are all being shown the door one way or another over the next season. And that's a shame with regards to Richardson because he is and will remain a better option for the Spurs than others.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good stuff and a great glimpse behind the curtain. I'm really stoked for Blake Wesley. He's Ivey-esque when he gets a head of steam -- it's really hard to stop him. I also noticed the ages. Primo was born Dec 2002, the FRPs in Mar and May 2003. I wonder if Cleveland will regret taking Ogbachi over Ohio native Branham. The 14 probably was his spot.

One thing I was thinking about... There are archetypes in drafts nowadays. There are older players finally ready to go (J. Wililams, Duarte, Ogbachi). There are freshmen who were touted coming into college (Banchero, Holmgren). There are guys who made big leaps from so-so freshmen years (Ivey, Keegan Murray, Johnny Davis). And so on.

Our three FRPs had remarkably similar freshmen years in terms of development. Each came into the year for Baylor, OSU, Notre Dame, without a lot of attention on them. They were supposed to fall behind other players, their own times to come. Each of them started taking over bigger and bigger roles on their teams until they were perhaps their most important players. After Branham dropped 35 pts on Nebraska, his season changed and his production went up drastically. Wesley was forced into a large offensive role because he was far and away their most talented player.

What's super cool is each guy fought hard in the NCAA tournament. Baylor ultimately fell to the tourney runners-up in UNC. OSU went a bit farther than expected with Branham really carrying them. UND was a 'first four' team that also went a couple games deeper than expected before facing a tough Texas Tech team.

I wouldn't say these development tracks were intentional, but it's provocative. I continue to think that if Branham and Wesley stayed next year, they'd be well into the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Were the Spurs just not interested in trading any of the picks by the time the draft started? Despite the assumption that it was gonna happen, it's sounding as though that the Spurs were content with using all three picks.

Duren getting picked at 13 and then being traded had Spurs written all over it. From what I've seen from the Hornets fanbase, they hate the return they got and the Spurs could have offered something much better. Now the Pistons are the winners of this years draft.

That said, I LOVE all three picks so it's not the end of the world. I'm just having a hard time shaking off Sochan + Duren when it was sitting there.
    Many suggestions that the Spurs were looking to make trades. This write-up says they were exploring trading up to get Sochan. Trades often don't materialize and desired players were at those spots anyway. I am curious whether the Spurs really were after Jake LaRavia since Memphis traded right in front of them to select him.

CHA really sold Duren cheap. I imagine a lot of teams might have wanted in on that one. I doubt the Spurs even knew about it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would have been funny if Branham and Wesley where the two players who needed to be separated during that intense workout.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn reading they were going to take Procida at 38 has reopened the tear in my heart...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the great info.

When the Spurs picks were all quite late I was sure they were making trades. Both 9 and 20 took a while to be announced, so when the names came up I wasn't even sure they were drafted for us. I'm pretty sure that NY offer OKC sent was there for the taking at 9 too, for example. Sure seemed like the Spurs loved the players they got and declined a lot of offers. The Memphis 22+29 for 19 seemed weird and unnecessary but perhaps they knew something about interest in Laravia.

I thought Sochan would make a ton of sense for Portland and had him going there on my personal mock. All 3 picks the Spurs made I had going way higher. Hometown boy Branham to Cleveland was so obvious , I was surprised they took Ogbaji, it was such a boring pick for them. Not that Ogbaji is a bad player but still, I had him going to Denver. Wesley, I had going to Chicago at 18 but when it came to pick 25 I was sure it was going to be a trade, glad it wasn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our three FRPs had remarkably similar freshmen years in terms of development. Each came into the year for Baylor, OSU, Notre Dame, without a lot of attention on them. They were supposed to fall behind other players, their own times to come. Each of them started taking over bigger and bigger roles on their teams until they were perhaps their most important players. After Branham dropped 35 pts on Nebraska, his season changed and his production went up drastically. Wesley was forced into a large offensive role because he was far and away their most talented player.
    This was another fantastic point I heard today. I'm planning to discuss it more in an upcoming article.

The scouting rank for the three players:

Branham was 35th in his class. Wesley was 100th. Sochan was 156th.

Those were three of the four lowest ranked freshmen drafted. Interestingly, the fourth freshman was another player the Spurs liked this cycle: Josh Minott (39).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guess I’ll leave this here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn reading they were going to take Procida at 38 has reopened the tear in my heart...
    Called that in the draft thread. I was really confident they were going to draft Procida had he been available. Once he was scooped up, I figured we’d take another stash or just trade the pick, and we did. Bummer but oh well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. I was surprised that the original intention was to draft offensive upside Ms Keegan then Mathurin, before defensive Sochan. I consider Sochan, and Davis, as the best all-around defensive players in the draft. I was hoping for Davis because on top on defense, he is also an offensive stud who shines in the brightest lights, a good characteristic for a future All-Star imo.

I like that instead they got Brahnam as alternate to Davis. While he scores in buckets, his 6’10” wingspan gives me hope that he could be a good defensive player.

I like the great upsides of Blake, who could have highest upside once he puts everything together.

In hindsight, they were going for go-to scorers on Keegan and Mathurin, before Sochan

Reading more on Dominick, I’m not as disappointed not to get Kamagate because the guy is raw. But I still would’ve been ecstatic if Spurs had chased Duren. I wander if there was an effort to get him. Or is it because they’re chasing another Center in FA? Ayton? Myles?

I’m excited what our new draftees would bring. I’m so ready for Sochan to start. I’ve been reading about him playing PG. I really want the coaching staff to develop that, including shooting. I think a Point Forward role would take him to another level, on his way to All-Star level, think Simmons with better offense.

Great write-up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks again timvp for sharing your insights.

At the 7:45 point of this video, (which was filmed either the day before or on draft day); Wesley specifically discusses how his best workout was for SA and that he was the best in that group workout.

The fact that you've confirmed the players that were there, wow, what a show that must of been.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks again timvp for sharing your insights.

At the 7:45 point of this video, (which was filmed either the day before or on draft day); Wesley specifically discusses how his best workout was for SA and that he was the best in that group workout.

The fact that you've confirmed the players that were there, wow, what a show that must of been.
    “They were trying to separate players.” It must’ve been them trying to stop Wesley unsuccessfully and getting trashed by our 25th draft I can’t wait how these three rookies get from the Spurs vets.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many suggestions that the Spurs were looking to make trades. This write-up says they were exploring trading up to get Sochan. Trades often don't materialize and desired players were at those spots anyway. I am curious whether the Spurs really were after Jake LaRavia since Memphis traded right in front of them to select him.

CHA really sold Duren cheap. I imagine a lot of teams might have wanted in on that one. I doubt the Spurs even knew about it.
    Think I read somewhere that MIN did pick Laravia for themselves and DEN also likes him nothing on SAS. On Duren they are saying there is a big dropoff after Dieng, but it is still a lightly protected first and 4 seconds.

Spurs Fan In Milan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading the 38th pick in a deep draft for a future SRP, probably in the late 50s, and cash ? Disappointing. They could have signed Barlow even without Memphis money and using the pick in a wiser manner. Not a good move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks!
    I asked in another thread about Barlow- It's hard to imagine why he wasn't drafted

17) One source says that Barlow’s representatives told teams not to draft him in the second round because he preferred to go the two-way route. I’m actively trying to follow up on this to see if I can get it confirmed on record.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading the 38th pick in a deep draft for a future SRP, probably in the late 50s, and cash ? Disappointing. They could have signed Barlow even without Memphis money and using the pick in a wiser manner. Not a good move.
    Hard to imagine LAL being a top 10 team in two years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write up.

Last season really disappointing to me. I hated the draft, and failed to see whatever everyone else projected on Primo. That's still the case, though I hope it's me who's wrong. In any case, I thought we were really needing a youth & talent infusion and this draft was pivotal, and the moves made at the trade deadline, getting the Toronto & Boston picks, peaked my interest, so I started to follow this class closely. Sochan caught my eye from the beginning, watching Baylor he seemed to have a spotlight on him at all times, he was everywhere the action required, and seemed like such a perfect fit I became enamored with the prospect of getting him. I also began to follow Blake Wesley, seemed like the perfect prospect for our range: raw, but with obvious potential. And began to fear he'd be picked in the teens, which seemed like a no brainer to me, Also, I saw this class as deeper than most, so I went over scenarios in my head to get 3 of the guys I wanted, which I was sure would go in the 10 to 20 range: trading back from 9 to 13 & 15 and hoping Sochan was still there, trading up from 20 & 25 as not to miss out on some of the talent available. As things turned out, our guys slipped through the clumsy fingers of other teams desperate for immediate success, and this outcome is so close to my hopes it seems like I wrote a letter to Santa and got pretty much all my wishes. All that was left is picking up Procida, which I was really high on as well, but getting him as well would feel like the Universe spoiling us. All in all, this is as great of an outcome as we could have hoped for, and we've dramatically improved our position for the future. Great job timvp following events closely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was a good ing article

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, thanks! Great stuff.

Game had really been stepped up around here thanks to quality pieces of late.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do not know anything about Barlow, but I am stokes that we got Hall. He was one of the UDFA players I wanted us to sign. I also wanted Jabari Walker, but the Blazers drafted him at 57, the 2nd time in the draft that they blocked us.....the first was Procida.

Thread Information