Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antoni...ions-answered/

Now that I have more free time, I'm going to challenge myself to write 200 articles over the next year. Let's see if I can do it.

Stay tuned, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop had a great coaching season despite the crybaby fest we constantly get here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "If they would have actively tanked, they might have been able to drop to the 7th pick."

Thought by missing the Play Out they a had lower % chance at #1 Lottery pick and moving up % points for each subsequent rise 2 3 4 etc?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whole BUNCH of mother ers better be in here answering YES to #1 after picking 20 wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this was a very good season. The next one looks promising

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spot on. Outside of those who are only happy with Championship or Bust, this was a fun and wildly successful season. I can’t wait to see what the FO does with all their assets heading into an off season that has potential to get SA firmly back in the playoff mix.

Looking forward to a draft / free agency / trade primer, Unc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This season showed that this team has quite a bit of talent. Just need another big one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This season showed that this team has quite a bit of talent. Just need another big one.
    The Spurs need to draft a 4 who can score and defend and will, within the next 1-3 years, become the best player on the team. If they can do that (odds are against it), they can become a true contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write-up and I greg it was a very successful season for all the reasons stated. I'm also stoked timvp will be writing a mountain of articles. My main reason for being here is his writing, so it will be a great year ahead.

Any thoughts in if we can indeed trade up in the draft with three first round picks? I'm sure it's being considered. I don't have a good enough grasp of this draft to have an educated guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell will get play calls for him next season. I dare say that by year 4, he'll be a 20p scorer. I love his game in this area. His body will fill up soon too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop looks energized while coaching. I hope he sticks around a bit longer.

This team allowing him to do things he hasnt done in ages, teach.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I'd say successful as well. The young core played a lot of minutes, Forbes and Eubanks are gone, the guard situation got or at least seems solved, three first round picks in this draft, Murray got the All Star nod, Pop got the record...a lot of good things happened. Although DJ and Keldon posted the bigger numbers, I was very impressed with Vassell. With a draft night probably more exciting than usual coming up, the direction of the team might become very clear soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker is the biggest question. Because he is so young and a lot about his game improved while his shot gotten worse. 3 first round picks do mean spurs are probably going to be full in the guards. Also I wouldn't be surprised if the spurs sign Collin Sexton. It's kinda like the spurs mo atm, signing injured talented players, Gay and Zack for example.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really hope Pop is back too. I don't miss the days of Larry Brown, Jerry Tarkanian, and Bob Hill who couldn't develop young talent for .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I had the Spurs 11th in the West so the play in to me isn’t a big ing deal. They still suck. I saw a lot of positives this year but then being better than I thought as a team certainly wasn’t one of them.

I love DJ as an all star and his at ude and him bringing it basically every night

Devin is looking awesome. The dude just makes winning plays. He is very raw still but he looks to score and if he can do two things then he will be set in his career as a role player. He needs to come around ball screens and become a catch and shoot player and if he can do some midrange as well that would be awesome. He won’t ever be a dribbler and I don’t want him to become one

KJ is a SF and I think everybody here sees that. That’s nice to know. He can’t guard the top guys but that doesn’t matter bc nobody can. This whole he can’t stay with SFs thing has to stop. He can stay with the majority of them except for like 6. That’s no reason to play him out of position and have him guard people 4 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier every ing night. Also his shooting stroke is awesome. I’ve never seen improvement like this.

Poeltl is still a no to me. I see all the winning things he does for our team and I love that he does them. He sets hard screens and gets people that extra half second for a shot, he doesn’t mind if he doesn’t get the ball to shoot, he rebounds decently for us ( a better offensive rebounder than defensive). He blocks shots well too. But he just isn’t talented enough for me. His defenders sag off of him and clog the lane making it more difficult for our poor dribblers to penetrate. He gets out muscled by a lot of players and shrinks against real big men. He also needs to just dunk the ing ball more. He’s a great role player but I prefer him off the bench.

Get rid of Lonnie hopefully. My offer to drive him to the airport still stands. Get rid of Ewwbanks and KBD and Landale.

Pop was awesome to watch this year. He could’ve easily quit this year but he didn’t. He might not be the same coach and have the same fire but he is a teacher above all and he is constantly teaching our players. And you can see the ones that actually have a brain compared to Lonnie. I hope he continues to coach.

Also if we keep all 3 FRPs this year I’m gonna riot. We do NOT need that much youth. I’d rather trade up with one of our current players for a higher pick or trade for picks in the future. The value in FRPs isn’t actually drafting a player it’s the hope that comes along with it. If we send a team 3 FRPs for a disgruntled star they would jump on that. But if we try to send over 3 of our actual players that we picked they would just laugh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This could have been done to an extent in 2019.
    10Xs moreso in 2020.
    1000000 Xs moreso in 2021.

So yes, considering how far the bar has been lowered since the end of 2018 this was a most excellent growth year including trades etc that made sense.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on what they do in the draft. If they blow the draft then it was a bust of a season.

Spurs should try to package a player and a pick or two to move up and get two top 10 picks. But doubt they do anything other than trade away one of their first round picks for a future pick. They need to add more explosiveness to the roster. Too limited in that dimension on the team. Murray cannot be the top player on the team.

#9 draft pick may be just outside of the top talent in the draft making the spurs reach for a player , depending on what other teams do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Developmentally? No, debatably.

Front office moves to set up future? Yes, unequivocally.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I had the Spurs 11th in the West so the play in to me isn’t a big ing deal. They still suck. I saw a lot of positives this year but then being better than I thought as a team certainly wasn’t one of them.

I love DJ as an all star and his at ude and him bringing it basically every night

Devin is looking awesome. The dude just makes winning plays. He is very raw still but he looks to score and if he can do two things then he will be set in his career as a role player. He needs to come around ball screens and become a catch and shoot player and if he can do some midrange as well that would be awesome. He won’t ever be a dribbler and I don’t want him to become one

KJ is a SF and I think everybody here sees that. That’s nice to know. He can’t guard the top guys but that doesn’t matter bc nobody can. This whole he can’t stay with SFs thing has to stop. He can stay with the majority of them except for like 6. That’s no reason to play him out of position and have him guard people 4 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier every ing night. Also his shooting stroke is awesome. I’ve never seen improvement like this.

Poeltl is still a no to me. I see all the winning things he does for our team and I love that he does them. He sets hard screens and gets people that extra half second for a shot, he doesn’t mind if he doesn’t get the ball to shoot, he rebounds decently for us ( a better offensive rebounder than defensive). He blocks shots well too. But he just isn’t talented enough for me. His defenders sag off of him and clog the lane making it more difficult for our poor dribblers to penetrate. He gets out muscled by a lot of players and shrinks against real big men. He also needs to just dunk the ing ball more. He’s a great role player but I prefer him off the bench.

Get rid of Lonnie hopefully. My offer to drive him to the airport still stands. Get rid of Ewwbanks and KBD and Landale.

Pop was awesome to watch this year. He could’ve easily quit this year but he didn’t. He might not be the same coach and have the same fire but he is a teacher above all and he is constantly teaching our players. And you can see the ones that actually have a brain compared to Lonnie. I hope he continues to coach.

Also if we keep all 3 FRPs this year I’m gonna riot. We do NOT need that much youth. I’d rather trade up with one of our current players for a higher pick or trade for picks in the future. The value in FRPs isn’t actually drafting a player it’s the hope that comes along with it. If we send a team 3 FRPs for a disgruntled star they would jump on that. But if we try to send over 3 of our actual players that we picked they would just laugh.
    Jakob? Top 10 center off the bench?
    Last edited by rankingtear; 04-15-2022 at 11:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For people who did not like Becky it was wonderfully
    For those who liked her was terrible

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both LA teams missing the playoffs. What a solid season, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakob? Top 10 center off the bench?
    Worked for Manu

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both LA teams missing the playoffs. What a solid season, tbh.
    LA’s NBA teams spent a combined $420 million this season (including luxury tax).

Neither made the playoffs.

- Bill Simmons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. I agree with your assessment. Four years after Spurs Big 3 retire and the heir apparent jumped ship and seemingly derailed Spurs future, our proud franchise looks like we have weathered the storm and have corrected its path. Spurs have an All-Star in Dejounte from our own pick, Keldon and Vassell on their way of maybe becoming ones also or at least a very good complimentary players. I’m not a big fan of Poeltl, but he has improved a lot also, yet I still think he’s not the answer in the Center position but could probably remedied pairing with a good size PF. Plenty of good young cores or movable assets, whichever the PATFO decides to do, a huge cap to maneuver adding a caliber FA or trade, 3 first round picks. Life is good. Now it’s telling what our “savvy” management would do in the off-season having all that at disposal. I would’ve like them tanking more to get a better percentage chance of the top 4 picks. But that’s not Spurs way and one can argue that yes that “playoff like” experience could’ve better developmental experience and not losing that “winning culture.” As a longtime Spurs fan, I have come to trust Spurs way, while like many here, es along the way . But as PATFO has shown, they know what they’re doing. Pop, I believe, being the major decision maker on the direction of the team and its development. I like him to stay another year or two, to see the fruition of the rebuilding team. I think he would like it too, to see the team back in contention before he passes the helms to his successor.

This is what separates Spurs from the rest of the organizations, and why teams continue to emulate them.

Thread Information