Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They never had a chance. Only had the team for 6 years, weren't eligible to win the lottery for something like the initial 3 and never lucked into a telegenic star they could sell to casuals, a la the Raptors with Carter.

Vancouver is a smaller, nicer Toronto, with less hype and more class . . . but if/when the NBA returns to the Pacific Northwest, it'll be to Seattle.
    ???

Though I'll give Vancouver credit for rioting after a loss instead of a win. Makes way more sense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ???

Though I'll give Vancouver credit for rioting after a loss instead of a win. Makes way more sense.
    I didn't say they were infallible.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I'll spare you the animated gif and just say I sat and blinked at the screen. That couldn't really happen, could it? I mean, it almost makes sense.
    it does, right?

and that way rc and the spurs org can always say the spurs will stay in san antonio. because some version of them will be in sa.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the should they play at a third world country basketball court ?
    What's the difference? The ATT Center is practically located in a third world area.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs looking for fans elsewhere since our ty fans can't be bothered to drive to the ghetto and fill seats at the ATT Center, or get enough people with cable subscriptions to actually catch games on Balley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vancouver is an amazing city and big market. I think people feel it's off the table because the NBA failed their the first time.
    Alot has changed from the sleepy city is was 25 years ago till now. Basketball rivals hockey as Canada’s sport these days and the foreign wealth in Vancouver is remarkable. Especially asian wealth and they love basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't say they were infallible.
    hahah set yourself up for that one. Canadian hockey fans have been pretty starved for success lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe that this phenomenon is unique to the Spurs.
    The NBA is encouraging/demanding teams play some games in other markets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're building it right next to UTSA who themselves are in need of a new athletic complex with their program's rise. Could easily see the Spurs selling it at a loss if they see greater profits to be had in a move.
    UTSA just built a new athletics complex. The RACE. Google is your friend bro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not sure Mexico City would ever be a real NBA destination. Too damn far relative to most of the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 Exhibition games are in Seattle...

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is, you can interpret this announcement any way you want. Only over time can we really say which way this is going. I doubt the Spurs have decided anything at this point.

One thing I’m curious about is the balance of team income from home games (tickets and concessions et cetera) vs television. Now, I think teams ridiculously make money from the arena year round for whatever events are there. Publicly subsidized for private profit, but need clarification. Austin is a better city to have an arena in general but probably more compe ion for events, because I think UT has its own new arena that Matthew McConaughey was an investor in; I don’t keep up withis though, I’ll admit.

Finally, most importantly in my opinion, the Brooklyn Nets eminent domain boondoggle should open our eyes that building an arena is really just the legal excuse to take over a neighborhood for a larger real estate deal that only includes an arena but isn’t limited to it; for Brooklyn it was condos and retail space I believe.

If I was a developer looking to pull this type of move, honestly, between the cost of Austin real estate fair market value and east side SA, I would push to tear down the Alamo Dome, start over, build a load of condos and retail space right on the edge of downtown SA. It’s definitely growing quickly there.

So anyway, that’s one of many possible predictions based on dubious real estate practices that would actually keep the team in SA. It’s still a lot of bull , but would keep the team here and probably the best of all real world scenarios.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve never been concerned with them relocating. This article, while they can’t relocate for 10 years, is concerning. 4 games can quickly become 8, 8 becomes 12. Then when they try to relocate they would actually have financials to present to the nba as to why it makes financial sense to relocate. Look nba we play 10 games a year in Austin or Monterrey, sell x amount of tickets more and make $x in increased revenue.
    You dont build the practice facility they are currently building if you have any plans to peace out anytime soon, tbh.

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it has to be either/or or black/white. The Spurs can be doing this to widen their footprint and to also see how the team would do in another market. The Spurs can both want to stay and be laying the ground work if they have to explore a move.

I don't think they want to move. But I also think you're putting your head in the sand if you don't think the Spurs will be looking for a new arena by the time the ATT lease is up. Im sure they look at the last arena vote. There were legit questions as to if it would pass. And that was coming off a le, with the youngest brightest star in the league on our team and no mid sized arena in San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s more to this…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by RGMCSE; 05-03-2022 at 02:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the difference? The ATT Center is practically located in a third world area.
    Toyota Center and American Airlines Center are in Texas too tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Austin’s only getting one year instead of two after a 3-2 vote by the BCCO.

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supposedly the Spurs could already play two home games away from ATT center but have never exercised that option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    poop and lbrn offended me by talking bad about Dear Leader Trump and saying negro lives mattered

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs likely never need to when they were successful for 2 decades and attendance was consistently high. Now that we’ve had 3 down years in a row, they’re losing revenue and are looking to get more from surrounding areas, in both the short and long term. Austin is booming right now unlike ever before. The growth that’s taken place there over the past 5 years is unprecedented, and it’s only expected to grow even more over the next decade with people and major Tech corporations flooding in every year. There’s real opportunity and money to be made there, and Spurs Sports & Entertainment are interested to see if they can capitalize and gain any traction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    best way to solve this problem is to fill the seats. this seems like a pretty girl, being taken for granted by a boyfriend, going out with someone she says is just a 'friend'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    itshappening.gif

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean it's going to make too much sense to move to Austin and it wouldn't change my fandom at all.

Thread Information