Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it went from "could be" and "if" to something seemingly more concrete in the blink of an eye.

Hopefully this Williams rumor is just a smokescreen. Having said that, the Spurs seem to fall in love with a player and then get overly nervous that someone else will grab him. If they draft him, I have to assume there is a trade involving Yak that brings back a starting forward. But I wonder how much Williams would play his first year anyway. The Spurs almost never draft someone expecting them to contribute immediately.
    Given their longstanding aversion to 4.5's to the point where they've literally built a roster with a fringe player as the only legitimate 4, I suspect they're not all that interested in Washington Jr. and the like.

It's probably a longshot, but if they're not enamored with the options at 9, they might pursue something like this . . .

To Hornets: Poeltl, 25
    To Pistons: Washington Jr., Jones, 9
    To Spurs: Grant, 15

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it went from "could be" and "if" to something seemingly more concrete in the blink of an eye.

Given their longstanding aversion to 4.5's to the point where they've literally built a roster with a fringe player as the only legitimate 4, I suspect they're not all that interested in Washington Jr. and the like.

It's probably a longshot, but if they're not enamored with the options at 9, they might pursue something like this . . .

trading for Grant doesn't make sense, he's on an expiring deal looking for a raise

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trading for Grant doesn't make sense, he's on an expiring deal
    So? He's not about being a role player on a contender or in a glamour market. He's about being a pseudo star. As long as they pay top dollar (and by making this trade, why wouldn't they?), he'd more than likely not be going anywhere.

I'm not crazy about it, but he'd be a good fit, is only a year older than Poeltl and would allow them to have their cake and eat it too, with respect to having 15, 20 and 38.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they trade Yak, Williams will be playing.
    Playing yes, because he'd be competing with Jock Landale, who is a bit player. But starting day one, which is what I was referring to, I have doubts about that. Regardless, drafting Williams is punting so to speak with the assumption that they are still in a longterm rebuild, but they would be fortifying their interior defense, at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because I reserve the right to waffle on all these players, here's a good breakdown of Williams' game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuT0sNv63Dc

Check out around 3:45 when he's defending in space, (*sipping Kool-Aid*), his defense against guards shows more promise then I read elsewhere.

Finally, I would think the Yak haters would love a player like Williams. He dunks often and with ferocity. Seems like a Clint Capella type player, but a better shot blocker, if I had to guess. And Williams' shot looks fundamentally ok, so I could see him eventually being able to hit top of the key jumpers out of a PnR. Still don't love this pick, but it would have to be involved with a larger trade involving Yak (and maybe someone else?), so in fairness it would have to be seen in the larger context, which we of course don't have yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I like this if they can pull this off. And somehow sign LaVine, Spurs are contending

And draft Jovic at 20, burn at 38.
    Last edited by John B; 05-19-2022 at 11:05 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will be strange to go for Williams at 9 but maybe it depends on others player avaibility.

I advocate since a few years for rim protection, rebounds ... and i think it's a must need for the spurs, williams will give you that immediatly and for years. Still think the Spurs will not go at him at 9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suppose there's a chance the Spurs draft him to trade him to Charlotte in part of pre-arranged deal. But not sure what that would do us. I could see Williams being awesome with Lamelo Ball. #spitballing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get the Williams pick if it's part of a larger effort to trade Poeltl and reset the clock on the center position. If the Spurs move Yak and pick Williams, I've gotta think they see some more promise for Williams on the offensive end. It would be nice to have a center who can reliably hit free throws and go to the rim with force. At this point in his career, I don't see much more significant growth from Poeltl offensively.

This is a good interview/tape analysis. Williams' personality and intellect seem to be in the mold of the players the Spurs like to pick.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 05-19-2022 at 11:25 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No poodle power in '22/23

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can get behind Poeltl for the 15th. Jalen Williams at 9 and Mark Will at 15. Gives the Spurs much needed length.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully this Williams rumor is just a smokescreen. Having said that, the Spurs seem to fall in love with a player and then get overly nervous that someone else will grab him. If they draft him, I have to assume there is a trade involving Yak that brings back a starting forward. But I wonder how much Williams would play his first year anyway. The Spurs almost never draft someone expecting them to contribute immediately.

I'm not advocating for this scenario, but I can understand the line of thinking. It accomplishes a few things:

1. Williams becomes the center of the future on a rookie scale contract, and the Spurs avoid what they might view as overpaying Poeltl.
    2. The Spurs get a PF via trade, currently their biggest position of need.
    3. Playing next year without Poeltl amounts to low key tanking, & maybe a shot at Wembanyama in '24.

The one thing I do like about Williams is his lankiness, with the hope that he wouldn't be lead footed if he had to occasionally defend the perimeter. He's taller and longer than Walker Kessler, with bigger hands, but is 14 lbs lighter. If Wright & RC view him as Rudy Gobert with better hands and a better assist%, I suppose I can see the appeal. In a strange way, I feel like part of the current FO's iden y is to do the unexpected. They tried to buck the 3pt trend by being a mid range team for a few years, and then picked Primo last year to nearly everyone's surprise, so it wouldn't shock me if, in the era where so many say the traditional center position is becoming obsolete, the Spurs decide to try and bring it back to prominence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not advocating for this scenario, but I can understand the line of thinking. It accomplishes a few things:

1. Williams becomes the center of the future on a rookie scale contract, and the Spurs avoid what they might view as overpaying Poeltl.
    2. The Spurs get a PF via trade, currently their biggest position of need.
    3. Playing next year without Poeltl amounts to low key tanking, & maybe a shot at Wembanyama in '24.

The one thing I do like about Williams is his lankiness, with the hope that he wouldn't be lead footed if he had to occasionally defend the perimeter. He's taller and longer than Walker Kessler, with bigger hands, but is 14 lbs lighter. If Wright & RC view him as Rudy Gobert with better hands and a better assist%, I suppose I can see the appeal. In a strange way, I feel like part of the current FO's iden y is to do the unexpected. They tried to buck the 3pt trend by being a mid range team for a few years, and then picked Primo last year to nearly everyone's surprise, so it wouldn't shock me if, in the era where so many say the traditional center position is becoming obsolete, the Spurs decide to try and bring it back to prominence.
    Yes, I agree with all of that assessment. I still think someone who can create their own shot and isn't horrible on defense is what I see as the needed target and so I've leaned towards, I guess, an idea Dejounte had of considering Jalen Williams from Santa Clara at 9 and then trading Yak in the hopes to get Williams a few spots later. That could potentially net two eventual starters.

But back to your point, yeah, if the Spurs go with Williams as their expected new center and commit to a more gradual rebuild with another lottery pick next year, that has logic to it. But I don't know if we will have a worse record next year, and so there's a chance we actually get into the playoffs. Not a great chance, but the team is not going to tank for a high pick, so it's difficult to assess in the longterm for me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like this if they can pull this off. And somehow sign LaVine, Spurs are contending

And draft Jovic at 20, burn at 38.
    A LaVine, Murray, Grant "big 3" isn't contending for a championship, but then they've given no indication of that being the goal here.

They seem to be aiming for a treadmill team with upward mobility, so this would align with that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A LaVine, Murray, Grant "big 3" isn't contending for a championship, but then they've given no indication of that being the goal here.

They seem to be aiming for a treadmill team with upward mobility, so this would align with that.
    I think it’s easier to tweak the line-up and attract possible FA’s once that “big three” core is set.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him a lot but he’s a Mega reach at 9, and won’t last past CHA before we pick again

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him a lot but he’s a Mega reach at 9, and won’t last past CHA before we pick again
    That's why you trade Poeltl to Charlotte(only if Duren is off the board) and draft him at 9 and then get Charlotte's 13.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No thank you!! Stay away from these Duke players.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No thank you!! Stay away from these Duke players.
    Agree Duke players seem overrated.

That's why I have Branchero behind both Sharpe and Ivey.

Sharpe, Smith and Ivey top three.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree Duke players seem overrated.

That's why I have Branchero behind both Sharpe and Ivey.

Sharpe, Smith and Ivey top three.
    Not only overrated, but they seem to have bad luck in the NBA. To me, Duke basketball players in the NBA are the equivalent of Penn State running backs in the NFL.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duke Spurs:
    Gene Banks, Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Tre Jones, Cherokee Parks,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duke Spurs:
    banks was the only consistent one. dawkins was a bust, ferry was on the way out but did hit a few big shots in the playoff run towards the le. parks was a superlative meh and we'll see what becomes of tre.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duke Spurs:
    I don't think he ever suited up for SA but Chris Carrawell was a 2nd round pick out of Duke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a guy who knows his range.

Thread Information