Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A message to the Lakers: S.O.S.

That's the Same Old Spurs to you, and yes, they're still a legitimate threat in the West -- enough so to make Lakers fans nervous.
    Bill Dwyre

The Lakers weren't even in the house Monday night. They had rented it out to the kids down the street. Probably some kind of community service thing.

But the Lakers were still around. You could feel them. In the corners, hanging around the hallways, in the air ducts.

Even when they aren't there, they are.

That's because the guys playing the kids down the street, the San Antonio Spurs, are still pretty good and have four NBA les since 1999, one as recently as 2007, and are a worry to Lakers fans, who now, at last count, number 15 million. And that's just in California.

It's all Lakers, all the time, and if Manny doesn't sign, they'll just do away with second place in this city.

So, when the Spurs are in town, it means taking a measure of the future. That means both a week from Thursday, when the Lakers are in San Antonio, and sometime in May, when projections have the Lakers playing the Spurs in the NBA's Western Conference finals.

Remember last season's conference finals? The Lakers won the series, 4-1, but not before the Spurs had a chance to make it 2-2, when Derek Fisher fell on top of a shooting Brent Barry in the last seconds of a two-point game. All three referees inhaled and the Lakers finished it out in the next game.

So Lakers fans are understandably wary. You can't get to the Celtics, or whatever powerhouse comes out of the East, if you can't get past the Spurs.

The Spurs have this 6-foot-11 tower named Tim Duncan. He's been around since Moses, but he doesn't appear to be slowing down so much as getting wiser. He still averages around 20 points a game and is stoppable only if you put a Hummer on him.

Then there is this little guy named Tony Parker, who plays like a sleek sports car and lives like one too. He is married to TV star Eva Longoria and is also an NBA superstar. It isn't fair. God should spread things around. You can't guard Parker unless you are a cowboy with a lasso.

When the Spurs played the kids from down the street Monday night, their third assassin wasn't even around. That's Manu Ginobili, kind of an older version of Parker, who is about a week away from returning from an injury.

Ginobili is the Argentine athlete of the decade, Parker is from France and Duncan is from the moon, by way of the Virgin Islands, so psychological testing to create strategy is useless.

They have some new people, notably a red-haired guy named Matt Bonner, who played basketball at a football school, but did well enough at Florida to get a shot with the Spurs, and has delivered nicely by leading the NBA in three-point shooting percentage.

But what was really intriguing to Lakers worriers Monday night was word of more on the Spurs' horizon. Talk has it that the last needed ingredient to the San Antonio broth, a rugged, rebounding, physical basher, is just one ink pen and several million dollars away.

Sunday night, 6-10 veteran power forward Drew Gooden got the Sacramento Kings to buy out his contract for $7.1 million. They did so just 59 minutes before a deadline that would have made him ineligible for the playoffs, and while both the Cleveland Cavaliers -- Gooden's old team -- and the Dallas Mavericks are interested, you get the feeling the Spurs are drooling.

You also get the feeling Pau Gasol is already getting a headache. A Duncan bump here and a Gooden bang there and Pau could be more bruise than basketball player.

The coach of the kids down the street, Mike Dunleavy, was asked before the game about a Lakers-Spurs Western finals.

"With Andrew Bynum, the Lakers seem to have the edge," Dunleavy said, "because they'd have the big presence in the middle for Parker's drives."

But if you add Gooden to the sauce?

Dunleavy opened his eyes wider and rolled them a bit. Translation: Maybe a different story.

The coach of the Spurs has white hair and a beard and is known as Pop. That helps the fans remember he is older than Duncan and Ginobili and Michael Finley and Bruce Bowen and several other ageless relics who seem to keep it going on this team.

Gregg Popovich was in a good mood before the game, and while he wouldn't talk about all the Gooden talk, he smiled a lot when answering related questions.

Gooden is due to come off waivers Wednesday, and Clippers broadcaster Ralph Lawler, an old sage who has been around almost as long as Duncan, asked Popovich how closely the Spurs were watching the waiver wire.

After a pause and a smile, Popovich deadpanned, "We are watching the waiver wire professionally. You always have to be ready to improve your team."

Popovich toyed with a guy who asked all his questions from behind a home video camera. To everything the guy asked, Popovich paused, then answered: "Sure." Then the guy asked him about his days as coach at "Pomona Military" and Popovich feigned anger, on behalf of the honor of that fine academic ins ution Pomona-Pitzer and his coaching days there years ago.

You can catch the interview on MyHighSchoolFilmClassAssignment.com.

Then, it was time to play the game. The kids from down the street made it exciting when Fred Jones flung in a half-court shot at the first-quarter buzzer to cut the Spurs' lead to 26-21. But soon, Pop's Pistols were emptying barrels from all over the court.

The final score was 106-78, and Drew Gooden wasn't even around. Maybe he'll never be. But it's understandable for 15 million Lakers fans to shiver for a day or so, just in case.

Banned
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I don't think the Lakers or their fans are worried about the spurms beating the crappy Clippers and behind in the standings like 8 games to the number one seed... ?

Not even spurm fans believe this !! hehehehe

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you are more than a little pathetic hanging out here all the time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know why this writer is acting like Duncan, Parker and Manu are so ancient...

Kobe's been in the league longer than Duncan, Fisher's been in it longer than Parker, and Gasol and Odom have been in it as long or longer than Manu.

Banned
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I don't know why this writer is acting like Duncan, Parker and Manu are so ancient...

Kobe's been in the league longer than Duncan, Fisher's been in it longer than Parker, and Gasol and Odom have been in it as long or longer than Manu.
    How about the rest of the team ?

Kill yourself mofo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this really that important to you?

Banned
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Not at all...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your presence here contradicts that claim.

Banned
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I'm having fun with you all delusional es..thats all...
    Spurms fans are the laughing stock of the NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it really that much fun for you?

Is there nothing better for you in your life?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please do not feed the trolls, there are only here for our entertainment and to make fools of themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

MORON! YOU ER!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the Lakers or their fans are worried about the spurms beating the crappy Clippers and behind in the standings like 8 games to the number one seed... ?

Not even spurm fans believe this !! hehehehe
    Isn't there a Gay Suns fans forum somewhere?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    o...Suns fans? No rings...focus your entire team around beating one team and still can't do it..and we're the laughing stock? LOL...hilarious. At least you're good for entertainment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't there a Gay Suns fans forum somewhere?
    FlamingBallsOfGas.com ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FlamingBallsOfGas.com ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gooden <<<<< Gasol
    But if we can get Gooden, I think we finally has the chance to beat LA this season.

Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Go oden

NB:lol Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_ Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fa kers_ 21_Blessings's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yes Dunleavy what are your thoughts about the Lakers?? We really care.

It's pretty hilarious how Dunleavy gets asked more questions about the Lakers than his own team. Every week the local radio has some soundbyte of him fellating the Lakers. No, Buss will never hire your terrible coaching ass again you ing failure.

E; Gooden would be an extremely solid signing for the Spurs but too bad he is possibly the dumbest player in the league. If the Lakers are with Bynum Gooden could turn a 5 game stomping by the Lakers into a compe ive 6 game series. Or he could go into a dumb and dumber mode and help Spurs get swept right out of their championship window.

Shame Bynum is on schedule to return before the playoffs this time around.
    Last edited by 21_Blessings; 03-03-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep talking, Laker fans...see you all in the WCF...things are gonna be different this time around...2009...odd year...do the math...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shame Bynum is on schedule to return before the playoffs this time around.
    Didn't we hear this last year?

Bandwaggoner since '73 stepmonkey's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Priceless. A Suns' fan saying Spurs' fans are the laughing stock of the NBA. This is why Al Gore invented the internet. So morons who have no idea how dumb they really are can proclaim their stupidity to the rest of the world from the privacy of their own home.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, a non-biased LA Times article

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Maybe the writer's overexaggerating the "Spurs are old" thing to be ironic. Or something. if I know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you are more than a little pathetic hanging out here all the time.
    He's a closet fan of head pubes......

Thread Information