Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they wanted Markkanen, he would have been part of the DeRozan trade.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait. Cut Forbes or jock? I mean why would we sign if we are just going to cut in a months time. Why don't we just not sign them?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i suspect there will be some trades around the first week of october, and that we'll be trying to do some sort of consolidation trade.

the guys at various price points make it much easier to put something together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait. Cut Forbes or jock? I mean why would we sign if we are just going to cut in a months time. Why don't we just not sign them?
    Unless we hear Forbes is only a min deal, he's absolutely not going to be cut. Folks are just being butt-hurt or pretending to be because they think it's funny. Landale isn't guaranteed a roster spot. I think he has an inside track, but he's closer to Jimmer in 2015, where he should make the cut but might not if someone like Aminu shows his old self and Eubanks holds it down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would prefer Primo play overseas and get a little seasoning to real basketball rather than YMCA little leagues. Same goes for Weiskamp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playing overseas probably isn't going to be a thing for Domestic players. First, it's not a good thing for them or the other teams. Second, no one should be expected to pass up money for the Spurs to save roster spots. Third, the Spurs need to actually develop their talent rather than try to send it somewhere else for that. Primo should be in the rotation, though Forbes signing probably prevents that. Give him a defined role and let him work on the other parts of his game in practice. The Spurs don't have the talent to send the guys they believe in away from the team to get better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wishful thinking from SpursTalk fans, especially in Forbes' case.

Forbes and Jock will not be cut.

I think they will let the current crew go through training camp...and like I said, I see Hutchison and Aminu on the outs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would prefer Primo play overseas and get a little seasoning to real basketball rather than YMCA little leagues. Same goes for Weiskamp.
    They’ve both already signed their deals, Primo his first rounder deal, and Wieskamp his two way deal. You wishes are not granted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol wut

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No new details on KBD deal? Two-way, again?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trades are more likely to exacerbate the roster crunch than improve it. Eubanks, Samanic and even SOB are fighting with Aminu and Hutch for spots.
    Losing Luka and/or Drew because we picked up a player in a trade that we most likely don’t really want (Hutchison, Aminu) seems like a complete failure. And the time we’ve put into those players, who are still improving, is valuable. Of course things don’t work out, nor should we be married to middling talent, but again, your interpretation suggests a major issue. We jump into the Dinwiddie trade and take on Hutchison to get a second round pick, but in the process we lose Luka? What?That’s really bad.

Of course we’re not there yet. And not sure if you’re being facetious. But yikes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portland doesn't have many guys signed. Didn't someone else post about them being interested in Eubanks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Losing Luka and/or Drew because we picked up a player in a trade that we most likely don’t really want (Hutchison, Aminu) seems like a complete failure. And the time we’ve put into those players, who are still improving, is valuable. Of course things don’t work out, nor should we be married to middling talent, but again, your interpretation suggests a major issue. We jump into the Dinwiddie trade and take on Hutchison to get a second round pick, but in the process we lose Luka? What?That’s really bad.

Of course we’re not there yet. And not sure if you’re being facetious. But yikes.
    It's not about losing Luka. It'd be about Samanic not being one of the best 15 guys on the roster. How that happens is irrelevant. If he can't beat out Hutch and Aminu despite having two years in the system, he's not a big loss. Of course, I expect him to do just that and stay on the team. But the Spurs should give all of the guys a real chance to make the team, not just the guys we want to make it.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about losing Luka. It'd be about Samanic not being one of the best 15 guys on the roster. How that happens is irrelevant. If he can't beat out Hutch and Aminu despite having two years in the system, he's not a big loss. Of course, I expect him to do just that and stay on the team. But the Spurs should give all of the guys a real chance to make the team, not just the guys we want to make it.
    My point isn’t about meritocracy but money, and perhaps the team trying to save money at the expense of talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes should just never have been signed in the first place. Then you could just cut Hutchinson and call it a day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People act like Eubanks is some up and comer. He’s barely a replacement level player, and took a fairly substantial step backwards last year, his FG% dropping from 64 to 57. I like Drew, but he’s likely cut #2. I’m not even sure he’s a legit NBA rotation player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hutchison won’t play here. He’s been a problem child at both stops to date. Spurs Twitter didn’t welcome him. He’ll either be salary ballast, or he’ll be waived.

I think it’s likely that Young is traded. He has value, and his advanced stats range from passable to pretty good. If we can’t find a taker before the season, he’ll play. He’ll probably have to come off the bench, though, as a DJ, Thad, Poodle grouping would kill spacing.

I think if it comes down to cuts, it will be Hutchison, and one of Eubanks or Landale, because cheap. Hopefully, we can make a many to few trade to compress the roster.
    Why would they keep Amunu and cut Eubanks or Landale? Eubanks was better than Aminu last season and is making the minimum next season and the season after. Landale actually gives the Spurs good depth at center.

I could understand packaging Aminu given his salary but it probably makes more since to just waive him. Young will probably be traded by the deadline, so Hutchinson seems like the other player cut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like there’s jack left to discuss. The only remaining question mark seems to be which two players will get excised from the team.

People mention Hutchison and Aminu, but that’s a good deal of money. People mention Eubanks and Landale but that feels idiotic.

I would think Young should be traded immediately but Pop may actually start him to help him get his needed wins.

Thoughts?
    I mean it would only be for this season so I don't really consider it to be dead money. The reason the Spurs got three picks, including a first was likely because they agreed to take Aminu back (knowing that they'd likely eat the $10 million and waive him). The Spurs also got a good second round pick (likely from the Pistons) to take on Hutchinson (knowing that they'd also waive him).

I'd be surprised if it were anyone other than Aminu and Hutchinson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This roster is so horrible the real goal should be to showcase talent and sell high while limiting long term cap flexibility. Not Spurs culture I know but that is another discussion. Whoever looks good in training camp stays. The bottom two are cut, traded, waived, beheaded who cares. This is a logical way to approach a roster that has 10 borderline NBA players. Survival of the fittest.

Pure logic would replace B Wright TODAY and tell Coach Pop this is his swan song so enjoy it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would they keep Amunu and cut Eubanks or Landale? Eubanks was better than Aminu last season and is making the minimum next season and the season after. Landale actually gives the Spurs good depth at center.

I could understand packaging Aminu given his salary but it probably makes more since to just waive him. Young will probably be traded by the deadline, so Hutchinson seems like the other player cut.
    I think it doesn't matter that Eubanks is on a better deal bc Aminu is already on the team. This isn't a situation where you are shopping for a FA. It's which dead salary would you rather have on your books, bc Aminu is going to get paid regardless. It comes down to whether or not he can play after rehabbing. If he's done as a playee then he's just a bad contract that the Spurs will have to waive like they did Carroll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean it would only be for this season so I don't really consider it to be dead money. The reason the Spurs got three picks, including a first was likely because they agreed to take Aminu back (knowing that they'd likely eat the $10 million and waive him). The Spurs also got a good second round pick (likely from the Pistons) to take on Hutchinson (knowing that they'd also waive him).

I'd be surprised if it were anyone other than Aminu and Hutchinson.
    This makes sense. The first round pick wasn't just for derozan, but in exchange for taking on dead salary in Aminu.

They may give these guys a chance to make the team bc it's good asset management. There are always training camp bodies brought in and these guys are already getting paid.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should be already open to eat some money and waive. As they signed Forbes and jock after the trade. And continues to trade for Hutchinson. If they cared about the dead money or waiving. Then they would have stopped signing Forbes and even jock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People keep focusing on the money like that alone is the consideration. Aminu might be more useful as a trade piece than Eubanks or Landale or Samanic. He might also just be a better player than them. Hutchison has talent, and he could come into camp showing he's good enough for the Spurs to take that chance on. Yes, the Spurs should absolutely be willing to eat dead money to keep the best guys. But they aren't going to be obsessed with younger players just because.

The Spurs are rebuilding, and people keep clutching any player with any potential at all like the team is contending. They will draft plenty of guys with potential that they'll end up cutting on their way toward rebuilding their roster. They're looking at a lot of picks, and they're going at drafting -- it's just gonna happen. You have to be willing to accept that some of their cast-offs will have long NBA careers like James Johnson did. It's not a sign that the team is doing something wrong. If anything, the Spurs will be doing something wrong if they aren't constantly moving on from guys. They only have 15 roster spots (and two two-ways), and they should continue to take fliers on guys like Collins and Hutch in addition to their draft picks. They also want to have supporting vets. They simply don't have room to force guys like Sam and Eubanks into spots without them having to earn them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A quarter of the league still is under 15 contracts: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/ (Sort by "Signed") There's room for deals with less players coming back. I'd imagine the Spurs would try to find Eubanks a way to save face and just trade him to another team for cash (or whatever) if needs be. I really don't see the reasoning behind waiving Aminu at all. He plays at a position of need and might as well see what he does in training camp. Spurs IG already welcomed him as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it doesn't matter that Eubanks is on a better deal bc Aminu is already on the team. This isn't a situation where you are shopping for a FA. It's which dead salary would you rather have on your books, bc Aminu is going to get paid regardless. It comes down to whether or not he can play after rehabbing. If he's done as a playee then he's just a bad contract that the Spurs will have to waive like they did Carroll.
    The Aminu situation isn't like Carroll's at all though. I think the Spurs knew that they were going to just waive Aminu at some point. They agreed to take him back in exchange for extra picks. His salary hit really doesn't matter beyond this upcoming season. Meanwhile Carrol got brought out and still had to pay him for two years. No ones going to kill the Spurs for cutting Aminu. I think people know that's why he was included in the deal.

Eubanks deal is guaranteed so he's on the team too. He's on a the cheapest deal possible, is already outperforming his deal and is still getting better. Cutting him for Aminu or Hutchinson would be even worse than bringing back Forbes in my opinion.

Thread Information