Page 196 of 210 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,900 of 5238
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "reducing your carbon footprint"
    telling people to reduce their household carbon footprint to tackle climate change is like telling people to go vote third party to send a message to washington

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama was a terrible president in many ways, but they mainly boil down to one thing: his extreme deference to the domination of the status quo by finance and large corporations.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    message seems to be that ecological catastrophe is running ahead of schedule and we're out of time to wait on solutions
    time is up, AGW catastrophe is under way and will get much worse

and nobody is doing anything significant about it. There is no solution.

eg, Biden just permitted BigCarbon to drill on Federal lands. W T F

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    didn't know the 1982 Exxon prediction was so close

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hmm, another projection from the 40-50 yars ago, roughly in line with the actual change

maybe this process is much less mysterious than the deniers have made it out be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mild summer

Carry on

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mild summer

Carry on
    "muh zip code" is yr answer to everything

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sadly, this tankie could be right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IPCC recap

What are the IPCC report’s most important overall messages in your view?

At the most basic level, the facts about climate change have been clear for a long time, with the evidence just continuing to grow.

As a result of human activities, the planet is changing at a rate unprecedented for at least thousands of years. These changes are affecting every area of the planet.

Humans produce large amounts of greenhouse gas emissions, primarily through fossil fuel burning, agriculture, deforestation and decomposing waste. IPCC Sixth Assessment ReportWhile some of the changes will be irreversible for millennia, some can be slowed and others reversed through strong, rapid and sustained reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.

But time is running out to meet the ambitious goal laid out in the 2015 international Paris Agreement to limit warming to well below 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels (2 C equals 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit). Doing so requires getting global carbon dioxide emissions on a downward course that reaches net zero around or before 2050.
    https://theconversation.com/ipcc-cli...gs-mean-165588

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since the previous reports, scientists have made substantial advances in modeling the behavior of ice sheets. At the same time, we’ve been learning more about ice sheet physics, including recognizing the potential ways ice sheets can become destabilized. We don’t well understand the potential speed of these changes, but they have the potential to lead to much more rapid ice sheet loss if greenhouse gas emissions grow unchecked.

These advances confirm that sea level is going to continue to rise for many centuries to come, creating an escalating threat for coastal communities.

Sea level change through 2050 is largely locked in: Regardless of how quickly nations are able to lower emissions, the world is likely looking at about 15 to 30 centimeters (6 to 12 inches) of global average sea level rise through the middle of the century.

But beyond 2050, sea level projections become increasingly sensitive to the world’s emissions choices. If countries continue on their current paths, with greenhouse gas emissions likely to bring 3-4 C of warming (5.4-7.2 F) by 2100, the planet will be looking at a most likely sea level rise of about 0.7 meters (a bit over 2 feet). A 2 C (3.6 F) warmer world, consistent with the Paris Agreement, would see lower sea level rise, most likely about half a meter (about 1.6 feet) by 2100.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One example of a system that might undergo abrupt changes is the large-scale pattern of ocean circulation known as the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation, or AMOC, of which the Gulf Stream is part. Paleoclimate evidence tells us that AMOC has changed rapidly in the past, and we expect that AMOC will weaken over this century. If AMOC were to collapse, it would make Europe warm more slowly, increase sea level rise along the U.S. Atlantic coast, and shift storm tracks and monsoons. However, most evidence indicates that such a collapse will not happen in this century.

The Gulf Stream is part of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation. A slowdown would affect temperature in Europe and sea level rise along the U.S. East coast. IPCC Sixth Assessment Report

There is mixed evidence for abrupt changes in the polar ice sheets, but clear evidence that changes in the ice sheets can be locked in for centuries and millennia.

If the world succeeds in limiting warming to 1.5 C (2.7 F), we expect to see about 2-3 meters (7-10 feet) of sea level rise over the next 2,000 years; if the planet continues to warm and reaches a 5 C (9 F) increase, we expect to see about 20 meters (70 feet) over the next 2,000 years.

Some people also discuss summer Arctic sea ice – which has undergone substantial declines over the last 40 years and is now smaller than at any time in the past millennium – as a system with a “tipping point.” However, the science is pretty clear that there is no critical threshold in this system. Rather, summer Arctic sea ice area decreases roughly in proportion to the increase in global temperature, and if temperature were stabilized, we would expect sea ice area to stabilize also.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since the last IPCC assessment report in 2013, there has been increasing evidence that hurricanes have grown more intense, and intensified more rapidly, than they did 40 years ago. There’s also evidence that hurricanes in the U.S. are moving more slowly, leading to increased rainfall.

However, it’s not clear that this is due to the effects of greenhouse gases – reductions in particulate pollution have also had important effects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The IPCC uses a transparent process to produce its report – the authors have had to respond to over 50,000 review comments over the three years we’ve spent writing it. The governments also weigh in, having to approve every line of a concise Summary for Policy Makers that accurately reflects the underlying assessment – oftentimes making it clearer in the process.

I’m very pleased that, as with past reports, every participating government has signed off on a summary that accurately reports the current state of climate science.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    background:

Monday’s IPCC report is a really big deal for climate change. So what is it? And why should we trust it?

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change was first established in 1988 by the United Nations Environment Programme and the World Meteorological Organization. Their aim was to provide policymakers with regular and comprehensive scientific assessments on climate change, at a time when climate change was becoming a more mainstream concern around the world.

These reports assess the scientific basis of climate change, its impacts and future risks, and options for adaptation and mitigation. They’re required to be policy-relevant yet policy-neutral. They contain findings, and state the confidence with which the finding is made, but do not recommend action.
    history: https://www.ipcc.ch/about/history/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wait, the intergovernmental panel on CLIMATE CHANGE was established in 1988? i thought they only recently stopped calling it GLOBAL WARMING and moved onto CLIMATE CHANGE because they couldn't prove warming anymore??!??

i'm very smart

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adam Tooze parses the US/EU rift over carbon markets

Whilst Trump held the White House, the question of trans-Atlantic climate diplomacy did not arise. The advent of the Biden administration has brought the United States back into the Paris climate agreement. The White House insists that climate is “everywhere” in its program. This is welcome. But, after initial excitement the Biden program has stalled. At home, the wrangling over the infrastructure program has slowed progress . The stand-off with China leaves Washington with no leverage over the largest polluter. At the G20 meeting of environment ministers, John Kerry was a prominent presence, but there was no deal. Even with the Europeans, who might be thought of as climate allies, big differences have emerged. So much so that we are hearing talk of a trans-Atlantic carbon trade war. That would be a disaster.
    https://adamtooze.substack.com/p/ada...-31-the-mirage

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That other mother er Gore said we'd all be dead by now. Lo & behold we're still here laying out a dollar a gallon gas increase that mother er Biden is responsible for minus the 235k of dead Americans who don't have pay that extra buck.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    wait, the intergovernmental panel on CLIMATE CHANGE was established in 1988? i thought they only recently stopped calling it GLOBAL WARMING and moved onto CLIMATE CHANGE because they couldn't prove warming anymore??!??

i'm very smart
    Bend over, I'll show you how in' very smart you are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White House must still be digesting the report

Last edited by Winehole23; 08-11-2021 at 08:50 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this far-left, Marxist-Leninist extremist nearly destroyed America

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    leftist extremism

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wasn't Biden supposed to ban fracking or something?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Millennial_Messiah

Knock yourself out here.

Explain exactly why it is a big giant question mark.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Millennial_Messiah

Knock yourself out here.

Explain exactly why it is a big giant question mark.
    While there is definitely an urban heat-island effect, the law of conservation / Newton's 3rd law generally applies. Where you have extra heat in say, Dallas-Fort Worth (good example because you don't have other confounding geographic factors nearby like water, elevation or other nearby big cities) you have an equal cooling effect in towns and rural areas not too far outside the metroplex. The human-caused heat is generated and is contained in DFW and a reverse cooling effect occurs if you live around say Decatur, Waxahachie or north of Denton.

AGW is overstated, there are many more causes to climate change that greatly super-scale out any tiny man made effects of global warming. Total warming is 2 degrees celsius on average over 100 years, it's not worth fussing over... yeah we definitely should scale back on pollution and deforestation (especially), but reforestation and high tech energy-efficiency in the USA and the West is already neutralizing that trend.

Problem is the ty second world countries in the Middle East and (especially) China continue to be the biggest offenders and producers of not only CO2 but more importantly water pollution and toxic carcinogenic smoke, air pollutants and radiation that wrecks ecosystems and is a threat to nature and humanity. China continues to be humanity's #1 enemy, whether it's creating superbugs in labs or continuing to operate early 20th-century technology factories and lead the world by a light-year in pollution and environmental waste.

Thread Information