Page 124 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 4810
    I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You don't think Aggies would have left anyway if the SEC came courting?

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You don't think Aggies would have left anyway if the SEC came courting?
    They would have

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Nothing would have changed as far at schools leaving to other conference.

Long before the LHN was even announced, Missouri was working to try and get into the Big 10, they have wanted into that conference since they were in the big 8. Same with Colorado going to the Pac, their biggest cluster of alumni outside of Colorado is in California. Nebraska got the offer that Missouri wanted and thinking the big 12 was breaking up and hating how Texas centric the Big 12 was, they jumped.

Missouri had already burned too many bridges to come back to the Big 12, but they did for a few weeks until the SEC gave them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Aggy suffered from AAS (Abused Aggy Syndrome) they wanted to prove that little brother had big boy pants.

IMO The only real mistake was that Texas and Oklahoma didn't just blow up the conference and also leave.

This is where the LHN comes in.

Texas couldn't leave after they signed that deal, no other conference would take them. Now that we know there just isn't enough content available to have a single school channel, it will make it much easier to kick it to the curb or perhaps modify it to mingle with an conference channel.

Texas and Oklahoma need out of the Big 12, and USC and a few Pac schools want out of the Pac, it's a perfect marriage for a new Soutwest Conference. I'm hoping that is what happens.

Believe.
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    "It's interesting, I've been following Texas football since 1977. I was a kid watching Earl, but after that year I was a Texas fan for life. In that time I watched Texas play for 4 National les and lose 3 of them. I saw the wheels fall off in 1984. I saw Mack Brown come in and struggle but eventually get that Natty. I saw Colt get hurt and the fall since. Here is the crazy thing. in 43 seasons of Texas football 28 of them were crap. Yet I'm still here.

It's pretty sad to say that, but it's true. 28 years is a lot of bad football. Texas deserves a good coach and I don't care who it is, I just want results. I think we can control Meyer."
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    Then who's to blame if they can't "control" Meyer and get the desired results? The AD and staff fires itself? Riley worked out for OU (mostly) and I think they should explore that route instead.

Onward, through the fog Juan Grande's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    ...In one of my books on UT Longhorn football history, a question was asked to DX Bible that I found intriguing: What did you see in Darrell Royal that made you want to hire him almost immediately with the understanding that Royal's coaching record was quite pedestrian at that point (UW 5-5; two yrs at Miss St w/ 6-4 record ea yr; & stint in CFL, IIRC)? Bible alluded to character & leadership traits more so than past success [paraphrased]. I dont think this is something an academic will be able to determine without help. If you are a good leader, you know it when you see it in others - it's not theoretical - and it's certainly not pandering
    Good points. We have no choice but to hope CDC has this same sense, the ability to recognize true coaching talent, despite the presence or lack of sensationalism over the name.
    And then the academic/admin side of things must stay out of it and let him do his job.
    So far, he has made good hires. Both here and where he came from. But his full reputation is going to rise or sink on this next hire. No pressure.

Onward, through the fog Juan Grande's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The LHN requirements should not be onerous for a good leader. ...
    I've always thought looking at the LHN requirements as being too touch on our coach is a cop out. In fact, I see it as just the opposite. I feel strongly our coaches have never fully realized the max potential of what that network could be to the football program. Other than the added revenues, it's been a squandered opportunity. Something I regret.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    more bad news texas 247 mod attending regis commitment has just said texas a&m is now the leader & regis will pick aggy

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    who was the poster that said he would quit rooting for texas if urban was hired? time to see if u go through with it
    well respected texas insider said today that texas reached out to urban meyer

This is absolute nonsense.
    Around the same time. We started sucking.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Then who's to blame if they can't "control" Meyer and get the desired results? The AD and staff fires itself? Riley worked out for OU (mostly) and I think they should explore that route instead.
    Meyer is to blame if you can't control Meyer.

Barry Switzer after he was fired by Oklahoma was asked in an interview what he would do different, He said, I wouldn't have recruited those guys that caused the problems.

This is the point, Tom Herman is to blame for getting fired, same with Urban if he gets fired. Who is to blame for hiring Tom Herman, to be honest, it was some powerful boosters in the Houston area that really pushed for him and they also fit the bill for his hiring and the firing of Charlie Strong. So they actually put their money where their mouth is.

You don't hire a coordinator to coach at Texas unless you also have a baby sitter to help him make every decision. Charlie Strong didn't work out because he wasn't ready for a job like this, Tom Herman has proven on several occasions he isn't ready for a job like this. There are few people with the skillset to handle a job like this. I honestly think Urban is one of those people.

Only time and opportunity will tell us if he is. Lets also remember there is only two other program that are like the Texas job and that is USC and Notre Dame. Even Bama and Ohio State don't have the issues that a coach at Texas must deal with.

Ultra rich and demanding boosters
    Ultra demanding high school coaches
    LHN
    Politics of the state
    Politics of dealing with other Texas schools

If you are a great coach and love just coaching football, I dare say Texas isn't the right job for you, once you are a head coach you do so little coaching. Your job is to basically run a major corporation. You have to create a atmosphere and adhere to it, you have to create a process and adhere to it. It should be easier at Texas but I dare say, borrowing from Spiderman, "with great power, comes great responsibility".

This is why Tom Herman is failing, this is why Charlie Strong failed, and this is why 90% of the coaches out there would also fail.

The Longhorn Network was not a great move for us as part of the Big 12. A league network would have brought the schools together, and solidified the conference. IMO, we still have Nebraska, CU, Missouri, and A&M.....we could have still added TCU and West Virginia.
    The league as a whole would get more national exposure and far better recruiting across the board.
    A Big12 cable network would have never worked and they all knew it, including aggy, nebbie, mizzy and buffy and why they decided to not go forward with a network. A state of Texas network (Lonestar network) would have worked but aggy AD, Bill Byrne, declined the partnership offer from Deloss.

Nothing would have changed as far at schools leaving to other conference.
    Long before the LHN was even announced, Missouri was working to try and get into the Big 10, they have wanted into that conference since they were in the big 8. Same with Colorado going to the Pac, their biggest cluster of alumni outside of Colorado is in California. Nebraska got the offer that Missouri wanted and thinking the big 12 was breaking up and hating how Texas centric the Big 12 was, they jumped.
    Missouri had already burned too many bridges to come back to the Big 12, but they did for a few weeks until the SEC gave them an offer they couldn't refuse.
    Aggy suffered from AAS (Abused Aggy Syndrome) they wanted to prove that little brother had big boy pants.
    Agree with all this only to add that aggy/mizzy also decided to leave the Big12 (Aug/Sep 2010 soon after nebbie announced they were leaving in Jun/Jul 2010) before the LHN was conceived (Dec 2010) and this is known due to aggy "Bowtie" Loftin bragging how he got them out of the Big12 and into the sec during a lunch-in. In reality, the LHN had nothing to do with any of the teams leaving; it was only a hysteric rallying cry to whip up the fan base in 2011.

This is where the LHN comes in.
    Texas couldn't leave after they signed that deal, no other conference would take them. Now that we know there just isn't enough content available to have a single school channel, it will make it much easier to kick it to the curb or perhaps modify it to mingle with an conference channel.
    The way I see it, the only conference the LHN might be a problem is with the B10 but there are ways to work that out. the sec and acc should not be a problem since they all sold their souls to ESPN as well. Pac12 commish, Larry Scott, initially blamed the LHN on the failure of the 2nd PAC16 negotiations (spring 2011). It was a lie to put blame on something other than himself and he later recanted what he initially said and stated that the LHN wasnt the issue (and it wasnt) and stated further it's (LHN) something they could have worked around.
    Last edited by soldierhorn; 10-09-2020 at 12:16 PM.

I've always thought looking at the LHN requirements as being too touch on our coach is a cop out. In fact, I see it as just the opposite. I feel strongly our coaches have never fully realized the max potential of what that network could be to the football program. Other than the added revenues, it's been a squandered opportunity. Something I regret.
    agree... it seems the Texas coaches or decision makers are timid or afraid of offending others. Other program mouthpieces are going to be offended ANYWAY and have been so since its inception. The best thing that should happen is for the program to leverage the LHN to show what they can do for NIL profiles and start targeting recruits. I think someone with head coaching success, experience and comfortable with his coaching system could simply add the LHN to his overall program package. A young P5 coach could take 6 yrs or more to get to the point of leveraging the LHN

Meyer is to blame if you can't control Meyer.
    Barry Switzer after he was fired by Oklahoma was asked in an interview what he would do different, He said, I wouldn't have recruited those guys that caused the problems.
    This is the point, Tom Herman is to blame for getting fired, same with Urban if he gets fired. Who is to blame for hiring Tom Herman, to be honest, it was some powerful boosters in the Houston area that really pushed for him and they also fit the bill for his hiring and the firing of Charlie Strong. So they actually put their money where their mouth is.
    You don't hire a coordinator to coach at Texas unless you also have a baby sitter to help him make every decision. Charlie Strong didn't work out because he wasn't ready for a job like this, Tom Herman has proven on several occasions he isn't ready for a job like this. There are few people with the skillset to handle a job like this. I honestly think Urban is one of those people.
    Only time and opportunity will tell us if he is. Lets also remember there is only two other program that are like the Texas job and that is USC and Notre Dame. Even Bama and Ohio State don't have the issues that a coach at Texas must deal with.
    Ultra rich and demanding boosters
    Ultra demanding high school coaches
    LHN
    Politics of the state
    Politics of dealing with other Texas schools
    If you are a great coach and love just coaching football, I dare say Texas isn't the right job for you, once you are a head coach you do so little coaching. Your job is to basically run a major corporation. You have to create a atmosphere and adhere to it, you have to create a process and adhere to it. It should be easier at Texas but I dare say, borrowing from Spiderman, "with great power, comes great responsibility".
    This is why Tom Herman is failing, this is why Charlie Strong failed, and this is why 90% of the coaches out there would also fail.
    well said.

OU has a TV network wonder how thier fans feel about it, Fate is funny cannot get LHN but can get OU!S.

OU has a TV network wonder how thier fans feel about it, Fate is funny cannot get LHN but can get OU!S.
    I cancelled it but had the LHN on stream site for cheap (meaning $5-10/month). I got it to watch Foxnews and LHN, however, I dont watch enough tv to justify any extra cost, esp when I can watch live games anyway and again the next day or two on youtube.
    Last edited by soldierhorn; 10-08-2020 at 09:09 PM.

I cancelled it but had the LHN on stream site for cheap (meaning $5-10/month). I got it to watch Foxnews and LHN, however, I dont watch enough tv to justify any extra cost, esp when I can watch live games anyway and again the next day or two on youtube.
    My problem is no hispeed internet.A mile up the road price ofliving in the country.All my tv is free 25 plus channels and BUD big uglydish

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I hate to say it but...

the game THIS WEEK is likely a MUST WIN for TH.
    We need to beat them, and beat them badly.

My problem is no hispeed internet.A mile up the road price ofliving in the country.All my tv is free 25 plus channels and BUD big uglydish
    yeah, I dont want to get into this too much on a recruiting thread. I tend to ramble on about things that are not on topic. I will say, however, that there are a lot of options nowadays; even more so now than when I cut the cord 12 yrs ago. I dont know if you know that it only takes 8-10 meg to stream high def and even some streaming sites show content in standard def, which isnt great but good enough for us oldies that grew up with a snowy black and white tv picture. If you are still on dial-up, then, yeah, you're going to have some problems. DSL is usually around 10-20 meg so you may run into some problems there as well. You have access to a BUD? Last time I checked, LHN was an option on DISHTV (2nd package up I believe). Putting that aside, there are many devices that dont require monthly service fees such as ROKU, Firebox, FireStick, and on and on and on. If you are comfortable messing around with devices, a Firebox/Firestick can be set up to watch just about anything you want with no additional cost. If you want to pay a monthly fee, you can also load a streaming or IPTV service on an android device such as the Firebox.

Check your PM for more info
    Last edited by soldierhorn; 10-08-2020 at 11:30 PM.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    he gone herman is losing the locker room
    Jake Smith just deleted all of his Instagram pictures and bio related to Texas

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    If Tom continues beyond this year, it will set the program back another 4 or 5 years. He needs to go ASAP. I dare say the smart thing to do is fire tom, keep the coordinators and assistants and let the players and recruits know change is coming.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    he gone herman is losing the locker room
    Maybe that dude should worry about catching the goddamn ball.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Also, I’m firmly on the “hire Urban Meyer” train. I don’t give a about optics. Hire him and get the outta way.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Also, I’m firmly on the “hire Urban Meyer” train. I don’t give a about optics. Hire him and get the outta way.
    Same.

Believe.
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Jake uses twitter...not really on Instagram that much

Thread Information