Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see David west potential with t Rob. They have similar builds. T Rob just needs some consistent looks. A role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't let Tiago walk because of it but Robinson could end up being a huge pick up. Him playing in the Spurs system, with the Spurs development staff and with Tim Duncan could be just what he needs to tap into that fifth pick overall potential.

I would give up our 28th in a heartbeat for this to go through. This draft's talent is very mediocre to begin with and the talent level really drops off in the early to mid twenties.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't let Tiago walk because of it but Robinson could end up being a huge pick up. Him playing in the Spurs system, with the Spurs development staff and with Tim Duncan could be just what he needs to tap into that fifth pick overall potential.

I would give up our 28th in a heartbeat for this to go through. This draft's talent is very mediocre to begin with and the talent level really drops off in the early to mid twenties.
    Sure, that I agree with. But people talking about him like teams should be upping their offers from a top 20 pick? Letting proven players go? No matter what, HOU has to move him, so that is the part that bothers me most. If you are going to ave a team 3-4M you shouldn't have to give up much more when they literally have to move him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On another note, why hasn't Diaw picked up his option yet?

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Damn. I don't like getting my hopes up.

Would love to see Robinson on the team. Perfect atmosphere for him to excell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't complain if the Spurs got him, but I think I'd still prefer a combination of Al Farouq Aminu-- whose rebounding skills are similar to Robinson's but who is a large SF rather than a just slightly undersized PF-- and a big like Brandan Wright who doesn't rebound like Robinson, but is a much better shot bocker and jump shooter.

THIS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On another note, why hasn't Diaw picked up his option yet?
    Only reason I can think of is:

1) He does not want to get traded on draft night. If he knew what he wants and doesn't really care about being possibly traded, he would likely have picked the option up already.

2) He's really not sure what he wants to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tiago is going to eat up a lot of cap space if they sign him so getting him and paying his remaining deal would be tough.. Biggest problem is if this kid does show promise we're still on the hook for Tiago and next year free agency will be like it was when LeBron was on the market, lots of players will be available and that's why teams are making runs to clear cap space. Plus with the new CBA nobody wants to take on that kind of salary. Tiago is a competent defender with true bigs but if they're athletic they can get around him and his offense is probably peaked.
    1. Tim is unlikely to be with the team by the end of Tiago's deal. Tiago certainly can't give us what Tim does, but having a guy who can even be a functional starting center on the roster when Tim retires is a pretty useful thing.

2. As long as we don't break the bank to sign Tiago to a crazy contract, that actually makes him more tradeable. Tiago at $12M is a boat anchor for our cap, but Tiago at $7M is very cheap for a decent starting center who can defend and who's great at setting screens and rolling to the basket. It's not like teams can find just any guy of the street for a minimum contract who can do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, that I agree with. But people talking about him like teams should be upping their offers from a top 20 pick? Letting proven players go? No matter what, HOU has to move him, so that is the part that bothers me most. If you are going to ave a team 3-4M you shouldn't have to give up much more when they literally have to move him.
    But see, if you're bidding against other teams, you don't have Houston over a barrel. They have to move him, but they don't have to move him to us.

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Tim is unlikely to be with the team by the end of Tiago's deal. Tiago certainly can't give us what Tim does, but having a guy who can even be a functional starting center on the roster when Tim retires is a pretty useful thing.

2. As long as we don't break the bank to sign Tiago to a crazy contract, that actually makes him more tradeable. Tiago at $12M is a boat anchor for our cap, but Tiago at $7M is very cheap for a decent starting center who can defend and who's great at setting screens and rolling to the basket. It's not like teams can find just any guy of the street for a minimum contract who can do that.
    7Mil is on the high end for what I'd pay him, more like 5M to be honest to keep with the status quo of the league but someone will over pay him.. My concern is that we'll also have to pay Kawhi soon too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But see, if you're bidding against other teams, you don't have Houston over a barrel. They have to move him, but they don't have to move him to us.
    I get that which is why I gave HOU major props for turning a non-performer to date, that everyone and their momma knows they have to move, into a bidding war

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. The price goes up when you have more than one bidder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get that which is why I gave HOU major props for turning a non-performer to date, that everyone and their momma knows they have to move, into a bidding war
    I don't know if Morey will ever field an elite team, but he has definitely mastered the market for NBA trades.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7Mil is on the high end for what I'd pay him, more like 5M to be honest to keep with the status quo of the league but someone will over pay him.. My concern is that we'll also have to pay Kawhi soon too.
    $5M sounds about reasonable for Tiago. Don't worry about Kawhi though because Tim Duncan and Tony Parker (not sure about TP) will be free agents by the time Kawhi becomes a free agent. TD will either retire or take less money to allow the Spurs to keep Kawhi, same goes for TP. In other words, Kawhi will probably end up taking part of TD's and TP's salary by the time Kawhi is a FA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Define talent...i think this draft has the potential to have some solid role player/contributer types.

A 28th pick should be more than enough for T Rob considering the Rockets NEED the capsapce. However you do have to contend with all the other incompetent gms who will throw numerous picks and proven players at the thought of acquiring a player who is still only valued in terms of "potential"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Calling it right now: The Cavaliers are going to trade the 19th overall pick to the Rockets for Robinson. Houston will then select an international prospect who will stay overseas for a year or two so they won't have to sacrifice any cap space (for the Dwight Howard sweepstakes). Maybe a player like Giannis Adetokunbo (who I really like).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest thing to consider is that only 3.5 Million is left guaranteed everything else is a team option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will wait to see what is the actual trade before giving some kind of props to Houston. Al these rumors could be leaked by Rocket's FO to raise Robinson's market value and it's far form sure that it will work at the end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will wait to see what is the actual trade before giving some kind of props to Houston. Al these rumors could be leaked by Rocket's FO to raise Robinson's market value and it's far form sure that it will work at the end.
    Agreed. It doesn't make sense on the surface, but there are quite a few foolish GM's out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the centers that get max money in this league, my guess is that if Tiago wants to go to the team that will pay him the most, he could actually get $12M, maybe even more. Around the league, I doubt anyone will say he's overpaid if he gets something in the $8-10M range. (On ST, of course, is another matter.) Anything less than $8M is a coup.

$5M is what you pay a backup center that doesn't completely embarrass you when he's in the rotation on an average night in Milwaukee in January.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the centers that get max money in this league, my guess is that if Tiago wants to go to the team that will pay him the most, he could actually get $12M, maybe even more. Around the league, I doubt anyone will say he's overpaid if he gets something in the $8-10M range. (On ST, of course, is another matter.) Anything less than $8M is a coup.

$5M is what you pay a backup center that doesn't completely embarrass you when he's in the rotation on an average night in Milwaukee in January.
    I'd rather him walk for 8 or 10M.. Sure, he's competent for the regular season but given a 7 games series any team that can meet him at the free throw line at the pick n roll and doesn't rush the PG can stop him dead in his tracks and make him turn over the ball with ease. He has no feel for offense at all especially in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather him walk for 8 or 10M.. Sure, he's competent for the regular season but given a 7 games series any team that can meet him at the free throw line at the pick n roll and doesn't rush the PG can stop him dead in his tracks and make him turn over the ball with ease. He has no feel for offense at all especially in the playoffs.
    He was an effective player through 3 rounds of the playoffs, and a big reason we got past Memphis. He also hasn't hit his ceiling yet, and this was his first year going this deep in the playoffs. In a year or two, he could be a plus member of the rotation all the way to the end. If we replace him with anyone who hasn't played that deep in the playoffs, that player has to go through the process of acclimating to that level of intensity as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitter hasn't hit his ceiling yet. He can definitely develop a mid-range shot, which would allow him to either roll or pop after screening. Before people pretend like he can't, know that he used to have one in Europe. I'm sure if he focuses on that this off-season, he'll be a pretty reliable one. And if people try to say that just because he did that in Europe doesn't mean he can do it in the NBA, recount that he was actually a good free-throw shooter in Europe before he came to the States and sucked it up for a year until he worked on it and became good again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't need a jumper we need him to bully small ball pf in the post and he won't ever be able to do it, his rebounding won't get better either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd prefer that Tiago DOESN'T develop a jumper because then his soft ass will settle for it 10 times out of 10

Thread Information