Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antoni...020-nba-draft/

More draft content soon. Plus have to switch gears to free agency soon, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Vassell, Jones, and Q are replacing Belli, Mills, and Forbes, than that's a step in the right direction, imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antoni...020-nba-draft/

More draft content soon. Plus have to switch gears to free agency soon, too.
    Good stuff. Was disappointed that Spurs didn’t draft a behemoth size-wise but these picks were solid and great value at face. The Brian Wright interview made it seem they have a lot of work to do in the off-season which I’m hoping they get good value for LMA and Derozan and possibly one or two other roster players in trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brian Wright post draft interview

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks OP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This team, this organization and the fans are in a world of hurt with this guy helping run things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good article and picks.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for always taking the time.

Jones was one of the guys I had on my list at 41, so I can't no matter who else was around. I think you captured him perfectly, and it's something the Spurs really needed.

I was never as sold on Vassell as a lot of you, for a couple of reasons. First, "elite help defense" is sort of an ass-backwards compliment, because it's also saying that he's not very good on the ball. Second, I was really concerned after seeing that video of him shooting. I know a lot of people have offered explanations about it being late in a practice, and he was just screwing around. I don't like the idea of a true shooter screwing around with his stroke - I'd like it much better if he was disciplined and reinforcing his fundamental shot. I said it before - if Vassell comes out of the gate draining 3's, rotating perfectly, and hitting the floor for loose balls, we got something. But if his 3P stroke isn't there, he's not even an NBA player. "Elite help defender" isn't enough. That's a lot of pressure on a young guy.

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard to view this draft as a success. The Spurs front office stood pat and made zero moves in a draft when it seems like every team in the league was able to move up and down the draft board in pursuit of their preferred players. The Spurs have assets and clear needs in the front court. There were so many higher ceiling guys available in this draft and they got two solid role players in positions of strength.

I don't think Vessel projects as having a higher ceiling than Lonnie Walker or Keldon Johnson, and I can't understand how backup PG is a position of need we have White, Murray, Mills, and Weatherspoon already competing for minutes. This is mind boggling. That said, LJ has been advocating for a combo guard for a while, seems like he and the Spurs are on the same wave length here about wanting to run micro lineups for the foreseeable future. What a boring brand of basketball.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really solid picks. Vassell and Jones will play in the G-league most of the season with Vassell probably getting called up a few games at a time with some playing time with the main squad. The Spurs may keep DDR and LMA, which I'm not excited about but it is what it is for now but it will eventually be over for those 2 with the Spurs either by the trade deadline (depending on playoff chances) or at the end of the season. Patty will not be traded because of Corporate Knowledge and leadership for the young guys. Forbes and Marco are not getting resigned which is a huge positive for the team. Need to resign Jakob. Samanic will split time with the G-league and main squad and will be ready to start next season after LMA is gone. So for me, it's more about next season than this season. Next season's squad could look something like this which is a step in the right direction especially with all the DEFENSIVE PLAYERS that will be on the team:

1. DJM, DW, KJ, Luka, Jakob
    2. QW, LW4, Vassell, Lyles, Drew
    3. Tre-J, FA, FA, 1st Rd Pick, 2nd Pk.

Not bad because KJ, DJM, White, LW4, Vassell, Samanic, QW, Jakob and Drew will all be more seasoned and with whatever veteran FA's the Spurs can snag to go along with this group. I can see starting with this year, 2 more years of missing the playoffs but afterwards a really good PESKY DEFENSIVE TEAM that can lock down opposing teams. Spurs are going against the grain with defense before offense and will be ahead of the game when it comes to this style of play again. Even Bell Bottom Pants and Afro's came back around so you better believe that DEFENSE is going to come back around and the Spurs will set the standard!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin has that dawg in him hopefully; We are wing deep i’m happy! Luka, poodle, Lamarcus, Lyles ,Eubanks is a large enough front court...... jerami grant would be nice. Versatility will be our calling card
    Last edited by Atl Spur; 11-19-2020 at 09:38 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good read - thanks. I’m happy with who Sa came away with picking at 11/41. Just wish they ended up with more picks in this draft.

Defense matters again. Bury Forbes/Mills/Beli for good now in free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This guy has diversity hire written all over him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin has that dawg in him hopefully; We are wing deep i’m happy! Luka, poodle, Lamarcus, Lyles ,Eubanks is a large enough front court...... jerami grant would be nice. Versatility will be our calling card
    Grant would be the perfect addition for us. Do we have room to make that happen?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grant would be the perfect addition for us. Do we have room to make that happen?
    No, not right now. He’d probably cost too much, even if they would cut one of their low guarantee contracts. We’re at 15 right now, so Trey will likely have to go the two way contract route.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When i'm hearing all the experts describing Vassell i'm thinking they talking about Paul George as he first came to the league

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard to view this draft as a success. The Spurs front office stood pat and made zero moves in a draft when it seems like every team in the league was able to move up and down the draft board in pursuit of their preferred players. The Spurs have assets and clear needs in the front court. There were so many higher ceiling guys available in this draft and they got two solid role players in positions of strength.

I don't think Vessel projects as having a higher ceiling than Lonnie Walker or Keldon Johnson, and I can't understand how backup PG is a position of need we have White, Murray, Mills, and Weatherspoon already competing for minutes. This is mind boggling. That said, LJ has been advocating for a combo guard for a while, seems like he and the Spurs are on the same wave length here about wanting to run micro lineups for the foreseeable future. What a boring brand of basketball.
    The spurs need a true PG since a long time. A guy who can defend and pass the ball, a kind of floor manager. Tre Jones is something like that, yes he would need a lot of work but he is a spurs need imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm disappointed in not ever knowing what would have happened if Jalen Smith was there at 11th and what the Spurs would have done. Glad to learn other teams rated him as high as me after all the time I spent preaching how good he is. He might become a good contributor with Chris Paul on his team. Well, he is not a Spur now and I wish him the best, but now I have to actively root against him.

On Vassell, on this site I had been the most critical of him because of two things: his frame and his knack for taking boneheaded shots on offense

For his frame, Brian Wright commented on how they will focus on improving his functional strength first. I don't believe Vassell would ever be the answer to guarding the tall point forwards like LeBron, Paul George, Deni, Giannis because he's just not built for it-- that will be Keldon's job. But now that I think of it, we have way more guards in the league than we do point forwards who wreak havoc on us and that's where Vassell will come in and help a lot.

For his boneheaded shots, I guess this will be an easy fix with coaching and the fact that he is unselfish and willing to learn.

In the end, I like what someone said how he could be our Klay Thompson... a big guard who shoots from everywhere on the floor and can defend well. Of course, Klay is a generational shooter so Vassell has a lot of work to do.

The most disappointing thing is that we still only have Keldon as the only player who is not afraid to bully his way into the paint. He's going to take a beating for years to come if we don't address that.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 11-19-2020 at 10:06 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Safe to say Saddiq Bey was a huge smoke mirror by the Spurs, eh timvp? So glad we didn't end up with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The picks were fine. Still no direction for the franchise though and that's going to lead to the same outcome it did last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tl;dr have fun in Austin!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you. Great draft and I'm glad they didn't give up anything to get the guys they got.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just hoping not drafting Haliburton won't bite us in the ass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs Took OVERTME to make the 11th pick. They were still trying to make a deal or a deal they made fell through with a partner and were in the midst of it.

Reporter ask him about this this dude gets cute makes remarks about his beard then confirms they were trying to "look at the whole board....ect"

Now if Devin "was the guy" why did they go over the allotted time to make this obvious pick? People been ragging on this dudes GM skills and qualifications(including me) but this dude should NEVER play poker because he has too many tells.

In Some scenario in either of my minds eye I think the delay was
    A. Poop putting the kybosh on a Trade for LMA and Weisman that involved the Spurs Picking a player of GS choice (or a 3rd team) which all contributed to the over time pick.
    B. Same scenario as above but the 3rd team backed out and ed the Spurs
    C. The Same scenario as above but the GS warriors ed the spurs.

If I'm wrong the future GM of the Spurs is a moron and really didn't know who da fook to pick at 11 even after all the time, Even if they wanted to and thought they were going to get Jaylen Smith at 11 but Suns picked him at 10 they shouldn't have had to take all that time to go with the next available. If this dude is running a competent front office. This last scenario is a possibility as well.

They wanted Smith but Suns got him and they had to scramble because they didn't really have a #2 choice
    They may have been doing rock, paper, scissors deciding between Vassell and Haliburton, and kept having to start over. My sources say Pop kept yelling "hammer" every time he heard the word "rock", thereby confusing everyone involved.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://ca.nba.com/news/nba-draft-20...61bjvbvwz18t47

Just saw this little gem from two weeks ago.

Thread Information