Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the difference between Siakam and Luka is the efficiency with which they're getting their points? That's the entire point of your argument on how Pascal was "elite" from the get go while Luka would be barely worth a second round pick? You do know that you can improve efficiency and shot selection as part of learning the game and improving, right...?

I thought your argument would be more fun to pick apart. Believe what you will, I guess. Luka and Pascal have a lot of similarities which make a comparison sensible, like their mobility, rebounding strength and shooting touch (bad efficiency hardly means bad shooting form; take a look at Forbes for a negative example of this).

Also, I really hope that last sentence was a blunder/typo... Clarke, second best player in the entire draft? Do you happen to watch other teams beside the Spurs at all, my guy?
    You’re optimistic about our 19th pick. As a SF, how could I blame you? I just haven’t seen enough to convince me. His feel for the game is the biggest concern and probably explains a lot of his shortcomings despite his above average athleticism and handle. I’ll be happy to be proven wrong in the not so distant future, though.

Clarke is indeed the 2nd best player in the draft and is proving it so far this season.

Clarke is shooting 64.5 percent from the field this season. He is the first rookie in NBA history ever to do so with at least eight shot attempts per game. Even lowering the parameters yields mostly centers that only dunked. Clarke's shooting all across the floor defies practically anything ever seen in NBA history, rookie or otherwise. He is already in the 90th percentile or higher league-wide in terms of efficiency in spot-up shooting, transition scoring and pick-and-roll finishing, per Synergy Sports. That last area is where Clarke is at his most dangerous, and according to one of his point guards, he is already well ahead of schedule.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re optimistic about our 19th pick. As a SF, how could I blame you? I just haven’t seen enough to convince me. His feel for the game is the biggest concern and probably explains a lot of his shortcomings despite his above average athleticism and handle. I’ll be happy to be proven wrong in the not so distant future, though.

Clarke is indeed the 2nd best player in the draft and is proving it so far this season.
    Clarke would be in the G league paying his dues.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In college, at 20 years old, Paskal put up 13-7 on 57% then 20-11.5 on 53% shooting at 21. He had a 27 PER his freshman year, and a 31.1 PER his second year. Coming into the league, his usage was super low like Kawhi his first couple years, but he was efficient with the touches he got, still shooting 50%. He didn't have a 3 point shot right away, but he also didn't take any either, and still excelled.

Luka at 20 is putting up 13-7 on 39% shooting, and turning the ball over 3 times a game. His patented shot is good for 30% on 4 attempts per game as of today. The only bright spot so far is his rebounding.
    Comparing him to Siakam makes no sense.

For the sake of our new GM, I hope he turns it around, but there's no use sugar coating the situation. The 2nd best player in the draft was there at 19(Brandon Clarke), among other better options(grant williams, thybull.. ).
    Pascal showed nothing in his rookie year except his motor. And he surely wasn’t efficient. The Raptors fans weren’t pleased about the pick and would have sent him to if they could. Siakam made dumb fouls, bricked open shots and didn’t know where to go on the court. That’s why these sent him to the d-league for a while. He made some improvements there, but even when he came back he didn’t show signs to become the player he’s now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see much of the Austin Spurs, and have only seen highlights of Luka. Seeing those highlights he looks pretty impressive as any NBA player could look great on a highlight reel. I saw him in July in Vegas up close, and thought he moved really well for his size and has some skills. I get the argument that Brandon Clarke is the better player right now which he is, but to already say that Luka is already a bad pick is beyond ridiculous tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Guys here want to pretend Clarke is a below average player to absolve their Spurs from wasting yet another pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys here want to pretend Clarke is a below average player to absolve their Spurs from wasting yet another pick.
    Who did we waste a pick on recently?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you referring specifically to my comments on Clarke (since you quote the poster I was talking with)? There's quite a distance between saying he's not the second best draftee and saying he's a below average player. I don't support the latter statement, but defend the former. Without looking at any stats I can already tell you that Ja Morant and Tyler Herro are having better rookie seasons than Clarke, and both are 3 years younger (which is a HUGE difference and definitely something to take into account when comparing rookies' performances). But since I don't know if that was a response to that argument in particular, I won't argue further. I hardly see why you would consider Luka a "wasted pick" and have argued as such previously, but I'll hear your arguments as well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you're drafting a player in the first round he should be good enough to play in the first season. And this guy was not the last pick, but 19th. ''But, but, the Spurs always take one year to develop the player in the G league'', yea, thats also re ed. Develop the 2nd round picks, not a ing 19th pick, otherwise why draft him that high. And I hope the Spurs are not surprised that he aint that good, cause every guy that watched him play last year could tell you he is a 2nd round pick. The re ed FO most likely thought that cause his name is Luka he'll be good. Also don't mention that this FO is smart and that they know what they are doing, cause after that contract they gave to Caroll they look like re s. Half season gone and the 19th pick was not even close to play. ing pathetic.
    Very few first rounders are ready to play right out of the box. That died with the one and done craze. Less college coaching = more NBA development time. Kids come out not knowing how to use a pick or set one. That's basketball 101.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cherry picking box score stats from the g league. Lol. You stans are either the extremely disingenuous or extremely stupid. I can't decide which one.
    Just a heads up...when you give full season to date stats, that's not cherry picking.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pascal showed nothing in his rookie year except his motor. And he surely wasn’t efficient. The Raptors fans weren’t pleased about the pick and would have sent him to if they could. Siakam made dumb fouls, bricked open shots and didn’t know where to go on the court. That’s why these sent him to the d-league for a while. He made some improvements there, but even when he came back he didn’t show signs to become the player he’s now.
    Always best to gamble on things you can't improve. You can't increase height and you can't improve athleticism. Luka has both height and athleticism.

Bryn Forbes has neither, has improved a lot, but nobody has high expectations.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a heads up...when you give full season to date stats, that's not cherry picking.
    I'm talking about the box score stats he chose to post. He conveniently left those outstanding shooting percentage and turnover stats, for example

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do you even bother to check the you're spewing out? Siakam entered the league at 22, three years older than Luka, and averaged a measly 4.2ppg, 3.4rpg, 0.3apg, on 55 ing games played. Luka could be there already if Pop wasn't so stubborn. Siakam then averaged 7 ing points in 80 games his second season. Since you're obviously going to say that his game went beyond boxscore stats, would you mind pointing out what things about him were "elite" coming into the league? Lol, give me a break...

This is typical of the SpursTalk coach GMs these days. Just because another player made improvements in his game means our rookie cannot do it and is hopeless. First off, Siakam was picked below Luka, at 27th; and he showed nothing at the time that Luka hasn't shown. Luka has a (much) better shot at a younger age, is more coordinated than Siakam was (Pascal has the excuse of being a late learner of the game, but I digress), and he has not had a " ty career" whatsoever no matter how much you want to jerk off to that delusional take.

If you're not high on Luka, or hate him even, that's completely fine and your opinion. Just try and not pose it as a fact next time, you end up coming off as very unknowledgeable or straight up hater/troll. Samanic could very well "bust" (in reality no 19th pick truly busts since more often than not they don't pan out anyways) but the signs so far suggest the opposite. ty career
    There are actually no signs to suggest he will be anything other than a bust. He's a tall guy that can't shoot.

He's a big ol bust. His ceiling is a role player, at best.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In college, at 20 years old, Paskal put up 13-7 on 57% then 20-11.5 on 53% shooting at 21. He had a 27 PER his freshman year, and a 31.1 PER his second year. Coming into the league, his usage was super low like Kawhi his first couple years, but he was efficient with the touches he got, still shooting 50%. He didn't have a 3 point shot right away, but he also didn't take any either, and still excelled.

Luka at 20 is putting up 13-7 on 39% shooting, and turning the ball over 3 times a game. His patented shot is good for 30% on 4 attempts per game as of today. The only bright spot so far is his rebounding.
    Comparing him to Siakam makes no sense.

For the sake of our new GM, I hope he turns it around, but there's no use sugar coating the situation. The 2nd best player in the draft was there at 19(Brandon Clarke), among other better options(grant williams, thybull.. ).
    These people are incredibly dumb. I've already seen Luka compared to both siakim and Durant, and the only possible thing Luka had in common with them is that he is tall.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His career? You are crazy. He turned 20 six days ago. He's the age of a college sop re. Are you trying to prove to everyone that you're nuts?
    Yes, career. Are you unaware of the ages of young NBA players? This guy was playing professionally in Europe. Second year NBA players aren't 23 years old anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These people are incredibly dumb. I've already seen Luka compared to both siakim and Durant, and the only possible thing Luka had in common with them is that he is tall.
    There are still Spurs fans here waiting on Hanga and Milutinov, and still say that Kyle Anderson will have a breakout this season if he gets more minutes.

Spurs fans are delusional. Most here are JUST getting fed up with Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ok, you really are nuts.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You did it.... you posted again.

And totally proved your stupidity again.
    You're riding a scrub that can't even shoot 40% in the g league. Stfu

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, you really are nuts.
    Another Luka truther. Let me know when he's shooting above 40%. The next Kevin Durant

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another Luka truther. Let me know when he's shooting above 40%. The next Kevin Durant

You were speaking of the "career" of a 19-year old, and insisting on it. You are not rational.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You were speaking of the "career" of a 19-year old, and insisting on it. You are not rational.
    Sorry you don't understand professional basketball. It doesn't require a 4 year degree. Go read Wikipedia or something

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry you don't understand professional basketball. It doesn't require a 4 year degree. Go read Wikipedia or something
    Oh, stop lying, you poor little crazy fool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't know he played in the gleague, thanks for the heads up. He dominated in his short stint there from what I'm seeing (https://gleague.nba.com/player/pascal-siakam/)...probably why he didn't stay long.

Maybe raptors fans didn't see it, but the FO sure did, hence why he wasn't even on the table for the Kawhi trade

We should just hope Luka improves game to game, rather than make delusional comparisons to proven players.

The FO should be shamed, though(at the least) for such a risky pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, career. Are you unaware of the ages of young NBA players? This guy was playing professionally in Europe. Second year NBA players aren't 23 years old anymore.
    Since we're making crazy comparisons, the other Luka in Texas is 20 years old too

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is why I've instructed him to not post. It really is embarrassing, and he has no idea.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information