Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only drawback (some cap expert please confirm or correct me) is that his caphold will be larger next year while we wait to decide if he retires. Is that right?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great for Manu. Well deserved! And for those that think he's not worth it? Remember this:

There will be players in the future most likely that will be asked to do what Manu has done. They will be able to look back at this and realize the spurs will make things right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have let him walk
    Manu so loyal to the Spurs as they paid him $100million+
    Arguing if players are worth dribbling a ball for $14million

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Spurs still need another big and sign manu for 14 mil????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for Manu, well deserved money. It doesnt matter at all for Spurs` cap situation. Holt will probably pay some taxes for that.
    For us that don't understand this, how does it not matter for the cap situation? Just curious,

Thanks.

Sarah Palin is a Maverick freemeat's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This makes Manu a trade-able contract. He can move to another team looking to salary dump and then be waived, unless they want him for veteran experience. If Philly wants him so bad, they're gonna have to give something up. Don't be surprised if Manu gets traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only drawback (some cap expert please confirm or correct me) is that his caphold will be larger next year while we wait to decide if he retires. Is that right?
    Wouldn't they just renounce him? I don't think Manu will delay retirement next offseason. He'll know. His own self imposed retirement date is passing this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This makes Manu a trade-able contract. He can move to another team looking to salary dump and then be waived, unless they want him for veteran experience. If Philly wants him so bad, they're gonna have to give something up. Don't be surprised if Manu gets traded.
    I really hope so, Manu for Okafor or Noel plz

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the spurs are just paying mfs just because they're going to the hall of fame in the future? Da fuq? They let Boban walk and resign Ginobli for 14 ing million? Da fuq? This is insane and down right ing silly. Let his ass go. If the bulls let Pippen walk, what makes ginobli this saint that can't play for any other franchise? What happens when he gets hurt or stinks it up this year and pulls the same, "someone offered me more money' bs next season/ How long are they going to let his name cost them cap space? So we got almost $30 million tied up in 2 turnover machines of Parker and Ginobli. That's just great. it's wonderful!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no problem with this. Lets hope he stays healthy all year and helps the young guys develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    could have seen if he would have went to philly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the spurs are just paying mfs just because they're going to the hall of fame in the future? Da fuq? They let Boban walk and resign Ginobli for 14 ing million? Da fuq? This is insane and down right ing silly. Let his ass go. If the bulls let Pippen walk, what makes ginobli this saint that can't play for any other franchise? What happens when he gets hurt or stinks it up this year and pulls the same, "someone offered me more money' bs next season/ How long are they going to let his name cost them cap space? So we got almost $30 million tied up in 2 turnover machines of Parker and Ginobli. That's just great. it's wonderful!!!
    Not to mention if they were that concerned about Manu they would have let him make way more in Philly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Spurs still need another big and sign manu for 14 mil????
    Yet Boban had to leave.

I guess the spirit of Timmy Duncan (playing for 5 mil for a 6th legit Championship) does not live on in Manu.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    The amount really doesn't matter since it's a one year deal. I don't think the amount has anything to do with making his contract more tradeable. The Spurs aren't going to trade Manu. It would be an absolute shock for them to do that, even if it made sense financially and the trade return. Other than if it had luxury tax implications, the amount is pretty much irrelevant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA didn't sign up to be part of a rebuilding project. Gasol didn't leave Chicago so he can spend a year rebuilding in San Antonio. If that's what you think, think again.
    Yep. Not a rebuilding year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice -you-Spurs gesture by Brett for offering Manu 14M

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...06963557507072

Spurs could have ed him right back by saying, "Have him".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Back in the day, when I first became a season ticket holder during the first year of the franchise, I used to justify the cost of my tickets to the entertainment value I got from watching the Spurs. My mantra was that "Every game, Gervin will make some unbelieveable move and shot that will be worth the price of admission."

There aren't many players who can provide that entertainment value game after game, year after year. Only the legendary greats can do it. For all Timmy's greatness, his game and skills were so fundamentally pure that we seldom came out of our seats to cheer for a particular play. Parker often came close with his great finishes on drives to the basket.

Manu, however, is one of those players whose skills are off the charts for the spectacular plays that bring folks to their feet and that we talk about in the bars whenever we talk basketball. I've personally seen every great passer from Bob Cousy to Pete Maravich, but the greatest pass I EVER saw was when Manu was dribbling on a break downcourt along the sideline and made a bounce pass through the legs of a RUNNING defender between him and a teammate for a layup. What's the degree of difficulty on that? And that dunk in Game 5 on four Heat players to seal the lead is on a lot of folks sigs.

If you understand that pro basketball is an entertainment product, the value of a player like Manu to a franchise far transcends the won/lost record. It helps keep folks coming back to watch and appreciate what these marvelous athletes can do. And we can't. Not even in our dreams.

So if the last contract mixes his current playing time potential with a little love for his willingness to play from the bench while keeping his magnificent skills in San Antonio, it ill behooves anyone to challenge or dispute the decision of the front office. A little farewell bonus is well-deserved.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For us that don't understand this, how does it not matter for the cap situation? Just curious,

Thanks.
    It doesnt at all. Spurs signed Gasol and rest left no cap space for any new FA outside Spurs team, then they signed Manu, exceed the cap, but this is allowed, up until tax limit, which is about 20 mil above cap space for FA`s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You honestly believe there are 3 other team's better than the spurs? Warriors are obvious favorites, but still Depends on chemistry and how long that takes. Their bench is nothing compared to what it was. Clippers are older and have both star players coming off of Injuries and have never really had a consistent Bench. Spurs starting 5 is better. Thunder lost a top 5 player and a very good rotational big in ibaka. He's a starter, but it kills their rotation. No-one that caliber will be coming off their bench.

Who is going to outplay the spurs with three legitimate all stars? Like pau or not, he has always been a beast on the offensive end and consistent defensively even if people make up bad defense narratives. Almost ALL bigs are at a disadvantage away from basket. Couple might be able to make a play here and there. Kawhi will be better, lma wil be better now that he knows the system. Danny will be Better, he got his confidence back in the playoffs. Parker hopefully won't be as fat.

Spurs are looking good in the west. They upgraded their bigs across the board besides back up pf, which Anderson is likely to play. Mills will be healthier. Manu says he's healthier than he has been in couple years.
    Really no reason to believe a big drop off is coming in the form of "rebuilding."

They are contending.
    Keep an eye out on Portland, they can surprise a few. Just need Tony to keep and stay in shape and the Spurs can make some noise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some of y'all are really ty fans tbh. let Manu walk? seriously gtfo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesnt at all. Spurs signed Gasol and rest left no cap space for any new FA outside Spurs team, then they signed Manu, exceed the cap, but this is allowed, up until tax limit, which is about 20 mil above cap space for FA`s.
    Got it, thank you

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Back in the day, when I first became a season ticket holder during the first year of the franchise, I used to justify the cost of my tickets to the entertainment value I got from watching the Spurs. My mantra was that "Every game, Gervin will make some unbelieveable move and shot that will be worth the price of admission."

There aren't many players who can provide that entertainment value game after game, year after year. Only the legendary greats can do it. For all Timmy's greatness, his game and skills were so fundamentally pure that we seldom came out of our seats to cheer for a particular play. Parker often came close with his great finishes on drives to the basket.

Manu, however, is one of those players whose skills are off the charts for the spectacular plays that bring folks to their feet and that we talk about in the bars whenever we talk basketball. I've personally seen every great passer from Bob Cousy to Pete Maravich, but the greatest pass I EVER saw was when Manu was dribbling on a break downcourt along the sideline and made a bounce pass through the legs of a RUNNING defender between him and a teammate for a layup. What's the degree of difficulty on that? And that dunk in Game 5 on four Heat players to seal the lead is on a lot of folks sigs.

If you understand that pro basketball is an entertainment product, the value of a player like Manu to a franchise far transcends the won/lost record. It helps keep folks coming back to watch and appreciate what these marvelous athletes can do. And we can't. Not even in our dreams.

So if the last contract mixes his current playing time potential with a little love for his willingness to play from the bench while keeping his magnificent skills in San Antonio, it ill behooves anyone to challenge or dispute the decision of the front office. A little farewell bonus is well-deserved.
    Nice post Wild Bill. I said something similar with regard to the entertainment value of paying a fortune to see the games. Something tells me I wasn't getting a refund if Manu were to walk. He and Tim have always put a lot of butts in the seats. They weren't going to play poker with his agent! Again, damn glad he's back and feel he deserves every penny! Go Manu!

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have let him walk
    Manu so loyal to the Spurs as they paid him $100million+
    Arguing if players are worth dribbling a ball for $14million
    The Spurs are worth 1 billion dollars. A big reason for that is the players the people PAY to see. The NBA is entertainment. Without entertainment, i.e. movies, music, sports, etc, people on their spare time would not have much to do, and likely be staring at the wall. It makes no sense to pay the players who generate millions and billions $20 an hour. There would be no entertainment if the players, artists, etc didn't get paid accordingly and get a cut of the profit they are mainly responsible for. Sports players get paid what they are worth. Supply and demand.
    Last edited by Barfunk; 07-15-2016 at 01:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    manu helps to draw the crowds in san antonio, and so will gasol.

Thread Information