Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    might have cheated on this game but he's still a warrior in life, and yes he's a prototypical american from whom you see the strong for ude through hardships, and the genuine hope for a better life, things that all americans share in common.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More like prototypical human being
    Gotta agree here. Left to our own devices, most will push limits and bend rules. Where they actually break is a matter of perception, which for all of us is quite different.

That said, I'm deeply disappointed in this situation. This was one person who really inspired due to his medical history. ty stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol srsly ElNono ??? An Argentine saying these things? This seems like a troll thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol srsly ElNono ??? An Argentine saying these things? This seems like a troll thread.
    not hating, tbh... and I'm an American now, so, if anything, I'm including myself in the group

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More like prototypical human being
    nailed it

Cheated better than the other cheaters. Should be called the Tour de Chance, because you don't stand one if you aren't doping.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, doping is rampant, not just in cycling but all sports. Lance made the mistake of sticking to his denials too long.
    I think he got every penny he could from it. He was about dead in the hospital facing a grim future in any at all. He turned that into world fame and shattered records in his sport. Sure he doped, so did everyone else (and they've been nailed since). He just did it better for longer. Mark McGwire cheated, but he had his moment of glory. No one knows who the Mark McGwire is if he doesn't dope, same with Canseco and a host of others. Nobody gets naturally as big as those guys playing baseball. Bonds destroyed every HR record, doping all the way. Name one great athlete over the past 20 years in a sport that requires strength and endurance, who's dominated the league and didn't dope. NBA and golf doesn't count.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW, I apologize if I hurt some feelings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the sponsorships and endorsements, those corps already benefited from it during the time...i dunno what else damage can be done today outcome...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The keeping up appearances act goes far beyond an american tradition. The entire notion of perception is more important than reality revolves around that.

What did he steal btw? He no doubt cheated but the anti-doping is arbitrary and sanctimonious in general.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did he steal btw? He no doubt cheated but the anti-doping is arbitrary and sanctimonious in general.
    I thought about that too. This is what I gathered:
    - Cheat: He doped
    - Lie: He lied about it
    - Steal: He stole the medals and trophies from rightful, non-cheating participants that earned them fair and square.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I cannot argue too much but that sport, much like baseball, is so ridden with it can you really say who the deserving winners were? Considering baseball is America's past time supposedly, you do have a point though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I cannot argue too much but that sport, much like baseball, is so ridden with it can you really say who the deserving winners were? Considering baseball is America's past time supposedly, you do have a point though.
    You would hope *somebody* didn't cheat.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought about that too. This is what I gathered:
    - Cheat: He doped
    - Lie: He lied about it
    - Steal: He stole the medals and trophies from rightful, non-cheating participants that earned them fair and square.
    He didn't steal those TDF lineups were loaded with doapers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would Lance come out now and admit it?

He has everything to lose and nothing but a clear conscience to gain from what I can tell.
    This is what puzzles me too. At this point what did he get by admitting it? Clear conscience i guess, but he's clearly an asshole, so i doubt it's that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't really think it matters if he admits it or not in terms of what is going to happen to him. His sponsors dropped him, they already pulled all his awards, and he is getting sued. If he goes to court and continues to lie --and he is probably going to be in court-- then he goes to jail. At least this way the admission comes in a forum that he can expect and having Oprah do it and claim that his admission was more than she ever expected is a PR coup.

He quite literally has nothing to lose.

And as an aside its kinda cynical that you cannot think of a reason for him not to lie just in and of itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering he lied now for, what, a decade? and even lashed out on people who called it a lie, i don't see why now would be so different. I don't see why he would suddenly become honest and i see no benefit (for himself) in his sudden reversal of statements.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he starts spouting off about Christ and Coming To Jesus as Our Lord Almighty and Savior, the "Christians" will forgive and pay him $Ms for motivational speeches and sermons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You would hope *somebody* didn't cheat.
    That would be the person who didn't get busted and who didn't admit to cheating. That was Lance for many years. The entire sport has been turned into a clown show. Every high level compe ion has it's cheaters, and those cheats are often so subtle that they are almost undetectable, but if you ask the participants and they weren't trying to protect the sport, they'd tell you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering he lied now for, what, a decade? and even lashed out on people who called it a lie, i don't see why now would be so different. I don't see why he would suddenly become honest and i see no benefit (for himself) in his sudden reversal of statements.
    He's alienated everyone he knows because everyone he knows knew he was cheating. They expected him to come clean one day, but he rode the wave and pretty much took a huge on the sport and his friends in the process. He will make more money from this btw. I expect a book deal. Good or bad, popularity = money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's certainly sensible. I guess now though the cat's out of the bag so to speak and he has nothing to lose. What are they going to do take his wins away and sue him for millions of dollars? I wouldn't wnat to be him right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will make more money from this btw. I expect a book deal. Good or bad, popularity = money.
    he might make some money off this bit of infamy, but he's gonna lose his bike shorts in courtroom after courtroom, now that he's admitted it.

I've also heard on the radio possible criminal charges may be coming, but not sure what they might be. Perjury? Dunno.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prototypical American.......always hurting feelings

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't count unless it's on Oprah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't count unless it's on Oprah.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Timing Is EVERYTHING

Manti Te'o,...from the bottom of my heart,...thank you. Dear God thank you.

Thread Information