Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White will probably take over the Manu role, and be the glue-guy. I'd see him perhaps as the first guy off the bench, and always in the game the second half of 4th quarters.
    this tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White will probably take over the Manu role, and be the glue-guy. I'd see him perhaps as the first guy off the bench, and always in the game the second half of 4th quarters.
    White will also be able to shine against the 2nd units of other teams, and will save us from having to leave Mills as the primary ballhandler off the bench.

DW probably deserves to start, but his talents will be underutilized with Murray, DeRozan, Aldridge, and Carroll surrounding him, and I don't see Murray fitting well will the bench mob.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because Murray, in his rookie year, made an actual all nba-defensive team. It’s not like he was some scrub. You may like White better, especially due to offense, but there are legit reasons to think Murray can be very impactful too with some improvements.
    I do think IB can be a solid contributor it just irritates me when posters think he should get more minutes than White. Or that the ball should be in his hands more than White. That's such a slight to White, imo.

Also, I don't really care if IB is the one with the actual All-Defense selection. White is still the better defender, he's just slept on by not just our own fanbase but the media as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whites got a big ass head full of marbles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But have you noticed that most of ST still inexplicably rates IB higher? I mean why would anyone, after what White did last season and how he's showing out with Team USA, not think White is easily the best PG on the team?
    by most of ST do you just mean padre?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is that Beli gets the 10th man spot initially.
    LW is going to have to beat him. Hope he does.
    Regardless of how it shakes out, I am damn excited about the possibilities.
    We have a better team than last year, no doubt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For 10 minutes a game? Yeah, let's take the ball out of the hands of our most crafty player that has natural PG skills to put it in the hands of a low IQ guy with a high dribble.

White needs to have the ball in his hands a lot more than Murray. Even DeRozan should.
    I think you misunderstood my post. DDR would be the primary playmaker of the starting unit, Murray would be the secondary playmaker.

White would be the primary playmaker of the second unit with Gay as the secondary. That makes far more sense a starting Murray, White and DDR together.

I do think IB can be a solid contributor it just irritates me when posters think he should get more minutes than White. Or that the ball should be in his hands more than White. That's such a slight to White, imo.
    Also, I don't really care if IB is the one with the actual All-Defense selection. White is still the better defender, he's just slept on by not just our own fanbase but the media as well.

Murray still has the higher upside, PATFO thought so before he got injured and they apparently still think so. They'd play about the same amount of minutes as each other but Murray would retain his starting gig and White would be the 6th man.

Really don't think White is a better defender than Murray tbh. You're acting like Murray was just randomly plucked to be the youngest All-Defensive selection ever, he earned it because he was that damn good. White being comparable to him ,defensively, is obviously a positive but its he's not better than Murray at 100%
    Last edited by cd021; 08-09-2019 at 05:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read this thread. Read any young core related thread. I've even seen it on the Twitters and YouTube comments too. I know you rate White higher but there are a lot of re s out there that dont.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you misunderstood my post. DDR would be the primary playmaker of the starting unit, Murray would be the secondary playmaker.

White would be the primary playmaker of the second unit with Gay as the secondary. That makes far more sense a starting Murray, White and DDR together.
    Or you can start them all and then stagger White and DD afterwards. IB is irrelevant.

Murray still has the higher upside, PATFO thought so before he got injured and they apparently still think so. They'd play about the same amount of minutes as each other but Murray would retain his starting gig and White would be the 6th man.
    Says who? They've never done or said anything to suggest they rate IB higher. I think they think highly of both, but they know what they're doing so I'm pretty sure by this point they've figured out White is on the cusp of being special. IB isnt as big of certainty.

Really don't think White is a better defender than Murray tbh. You're acting like Murray was just randomly plucked to be the youngest All-Defensive selection ever, he earned it because he was that damn good. White being comparable to him ,defensively, is obviously a positive but its he's not better than Murray at 100%
    [/FONT]
    comparable

White is the better defender, period. Better, more versatile man to man defender. Better help defender. Smarter. Frankly, IB's defense is overrated and his reputation is inflated by his rebounding.
    Last edited by FkLA; 08-09-2019 at 05:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or you can start them all and then stagger White and DD afterwards. IB is irrelevant.

Says who? They've never done or said anything to suggest they rate IB higher. I think they think highly of both, but they know what they're doing so I'm pretty sure by this point they've figured out White is on the cusp of being special. IB isnt as big of certainty.

comparable

White is the better defender, period. Better, more versatile man to man defender. Better help defender. Smarter. Frankly, IB's defense is overrated and his reputation is inflated by his rebounding.
    While I completely share your sentiments, you are beating your head against the wall. Folks will have to be shown the truth this season. And then the trolls will persist. This is ST after all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two pages discussing 10th spot lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As mentioned before and as others have alluded to, Murray and White will likely get roughly similar minutes - 28ish a game. Whether they start or come off the bench depends more on fit than who’s better. White probably works better attacking bench guards, while Murray’s elite defense is great against starting PGs (White’s D is very good too). And closing lineups could include both of them...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White probably works better attacking bench guards, while Murray’s elite defense is great against starting PGs (White’s D is very good too).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know what's more sad...LW possibly being a lock for even the 10th spot being a question, or the fact that Marco Belinelli still gets minutes at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know what's more sad...LW possibly being a lock for even the 10th spot being a question, or the fact that Marco Belinelli is still on the team at all.
    Fixed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he tore his ACL, much shorter recovery time. he should start because he’s a better player than white in nearly every way and is two years younger.
    Yeah, I don't know why I said achilles. I meant ACL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he should start because he’s a better player than white in nearly every way and is two years younger.
    Also

There's literally almost nothing Murray is better at than White. maybe at stealing rebounds from bigmen, that's about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Genovaswitness apparently.

Murray being better than White in nearly every way.

That has to be one of the dumbest takes of recent times, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Genovaswitness apparently.

Murray being better than White in nearly every way.

That has to be one of the dumbest takes of recent times, tbh.
    better defender. younger. better pure scorer. yeah it’s easy to run sets and score when nobody knows who the you are. Murray never had a chance as the sole starting PG for a whole season. he’s gonna shock the world. it’s a good problem to have

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    better defender. younger. better pure scorer. yeah it’s easy to run sets and score when nobody knows who the you are. Murray never had a chance as the sole starting PG for a whole season. he’s gonna shock the world. it’s a good problem to have

Ballhandling=White
    Shooting=White
    finishing=White
    Instincts=White

Please tell me in which aspect of scoring is Murray better than White.

P/S: Murray isn't better than White at defending either, but I'm not gonna argue it because you can at least provide th fact that Murray made all-defensive second team (even though White deserved at least that this season).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m just salivating at the potential starting backcourt we’re gonna have if Murray fixes his broken J and white becomes a more aggressive and punishing 3 point shooter. Best defensive backcourt since bad boy pistons tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

comparable

Murray's DRPM was number 1 by a mile during the 17-18 season

Murray-3.60
    Tyus Jones-2.40
    Lonzo Ball-2.31
    Jrue Holiday-2.10
    Ricky Rubio-1.98

Last season-

Chris Paul-2.27
    George Hill-1.89
    Kyle Lowry-1.82
    Cory Joseph-1.53
    Derrick White-1.45

Murray's DRPM his the highest among PGs in the last six seasons with Eric Bledsoe's 3.97.

DRPM isn't the end all be all but Murray's 17-18 season was the second best among PGs since that stat was created.

Pretty clearly, Dejounte Murray is a better defender but go-ahead and say its because he grabbed a couple of extra defensive rebounds a game

-Zach Lowe, Kevin Arnovizt, Nate Duncan and Danny Leroix all mentioned that they heard that from team officials about how high they are on Murray. Lowe actually said it on a recent podcast that the Spurs are normally tight lipped but were openly gushing about Murray before he got injured last season.

-Whats the point in staggering all three when starting Forbes makes the most sense? The starting lineup needs a sharp shooter and none of Murray, White and DDR currently fill that role.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'll share minutes in the second unit and duke it out which is a good thing. If the question is who will get the most minutes, I think it will be 50/50 until the RRT................................. and then either Lonnie has broken through (which I think he will) or he hasn't.
    Probably.

For 10 minutes a game? Yeah, let's take the ball out of the hands of our most crafty player that has natural PG skills to put it in the hands of a low IQ guy with a high dribble.

White needs to have the ball in his hands a lot more than Murray. Even DeRozan should.

Unless at least one of Murray or White has made a quantum leap from 3, they'll probably mostly split the PG minutes, with White probably generally closing.

The reason they'd bring White off the bench in that scenario, is the fact that he'd obviously have a more featured role with the bench, where his superior play making is more needed.

But if White is ready for a Siakam like breakout, then what? They're not good enough to play politics, so it's either start him at SG, sub at the under 6 in the 1st and 3rd, then alternate him and Murray ala Aldridge and Gasol (this likely requires running a 9 man rotation) . . . or trade DeRozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray's DRPM was number 1 by a mile during the 17-18 season

Murray-3.60
    Tyus Jones-2.40
    Lonzo Ball-2.31
    Jrue Holiday-2.10
    Ricky Rubio-1.98

Last season-

Chris Paul-2.27
    George Hill-1.89
    Kyle Lowry-1.82
    Cory Joseph-1.53
    Derrick White-1.45

Murray's DRPM his the highest among PGs in the last six seasons with Eric Bledsoe's 3.97.

DRPM isn't the end all be all but Murray's 17-18 season was the second best among PGs since that stat was created.

Pretty clearly, Dejounte Murray is a better defender but go-ahead and say its because he grabbed a couple of extra defensive rebounds a game
    lol pretty clearly

Again, White is the better defender. IB's DRPM two seasons ago is outdated thanks to the rule changes that continue to favor offensive players, evidenced by the fact that DRPM numbers dropped across the board. He also had better defenders around him (Green, Fathead) and in general the Spurs were a better defensive team in 17-18 than they were in 18-19. All the other perimeter defenders White shared the court with ranged from below average defenders to flat out turnstyles.

You can put White on bigger guys like Nephew, Harden, Simmons, Doncic, etc. Or smaller guys like Irving, Trae Young, Kemba, J. Murray, etc. And he holds his own against all of them. Flat out bullies some. The team's defense was bottom of the barrel last year until he returned from injury and he single handedly turned it into a middle of the pack defense. No ing way would IB have done as well if he had been tasked with such a wide range of tough assignments and no way would he have had that kind of impact on a bad defense.

Opposing coaches like Brad Stevens and Lloyd Pierce marveled at White's defense, made it a point to let the media know how good it was in postgame interviews. The national media and dumb fans don't realize how great his defense is but people who know what the they are doing know what's up.

-Zach Lowe, Kevin Arnovizt, Nate Duncan and Danny Leroix all mentioned that they heard that from team officials about how high they are on Murray. Lowe actually said it on a recent podcast that the Spurs are normally tight lipped but were openly gushing about Murray before he got injured last season.
    Yeah, nobody is claiming that the Spurs aren't high on him. That doesn't mean they're higher on him than they are White. Especially after what White did last season and after he's played his way onto the Senior USA team.

-Whats the point in staggering all three when starting Forbes makes the most sense? The starting lineup needs a sharp shooter and none of Murray, White and DDR currently fill that role.
    So let's see, the starting line-up needs more shooting...so your solution is to plug in a guy who can't shoot at PG, alongside DeRozan who also can't shoot? If you're worried about shooting White-Forbes-DD makes the most sense.
    Last edited by FkLA; 08-10-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Thread Information