Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs 109 Pistons 99

Spurs were up 20 entering the 4th. Granted, it's the Pistions.
    Still, after the ass handing by the 76ers (134 - 99) i figure let's take a look at the Young Core without DD on a larger sample size then 1 game.

If DDs back for the rest of the season......guess this thread will fizz out.

Back to the Core, is it a case of Spurs can't score without DDs presence
    or
    Core Development will happen as with todays romp over the Pistons?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way the pendulum swings on this site. Holy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were absolutely trashed without DeRozan last night, worst loss in franchise history (regular season).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were absolutely trashed without DeRozan last night, worst loss in franchise history (regular season).
    They would have gotten trashed with DeRozan last night. DD doesn't play defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They would have gotten trashed with DeRozan last night. DD doesn't play defense.
    Literally don't know, do we? Clearly the team was adrift without him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was apparently an announcers' error. Apparently it was only our worst ever loss to the Sixers...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I wish they moved us back to the eastern conference. I mean Duncan would have like 10 finals appearances if they didn’t screw us over that way. Also the Bullets.

And to answer OPs question: we are without a doubt better than the Detroit Pistons without Demar DeRozan. Agree on all accounts when it comes to that statement

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Pistons is one of the worst teams in the league. I don't think tonight's performance will translate to more competent teams

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was apparently an announcers' error. Apparently it was only our worst ever loss to the Sixers...
    A far cry from the 51-point annihilation the Spurs put on them in Philly when the crowd was cheering for Boban.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are 2-1 without DeRozan and Aldridge so far this season. Clearly a small sample size but it looks like the Spurs won't just roll over and die without their "stars", as many folks suggested before the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My opinion for there is that
    DDR and the Spurs aint gonna be all that. Plus DDR aint worth the $$ he thinks he deserves.
    Go our own way without DDR. See what the young ones can do. Use DDR (and LMA) money to stock up on good young talent.
    Need 6'8 to 6-10 dues who can run jump and defend and extra points for being able to hit a open shot.
    FWIW

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Derozan's first season here they were blown out by almost 40 points by the Timberwolves. Spurs lost the next game by 31, and then by 34 two games later.
    I know he's got a strong contingent of supporters but he's fully capable of contributing to historic blowout losses.

He's a very good offensive player but even with him they'd have loss by 20 to Philly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tonight on News 4 SA, Don Harris reported this bit of news about DDR and the matter of the Spurs trading him vs resigning him. This is a report from Hoops Hype with Chris Haynes reporting: "The San Antonio Spurs are not actively engaged in seeking out a trade for their best player, but that could change if both sides don’t work out an in-season extension leading up to the trade deadline. There is currently no dialogue on an extension, sources said." 9 hours ago – via Chris Haynes @ Yahoo! Sports
    This is definitely something to keep an eye on in the next coming days, but how convenient that DDR is currently away from the team right now. Hmmm... I'm just sayin'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pistons are projected to get a Top-3 pick for a reason.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are 2-1 without DeRozan and Aldridge so far this season. Clearly a small sample size but it looks like the Spurs won't just roll over and die without their "stars", as many folks suggested before the season.

against two of the worst teams in the league

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pistons are projected to get a Top-3 pick for a reason.

Wish we were in their position

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way the pendulum swings on this site. Holy
    Luka went from unplayable bust to a cornerstone over some above average defense against the Knicks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    against two of the worst teams in the league
    Folks were saying the Spurs would be among those teams without DeRozan and Aldridge and we are beating those teams by 20+ without them. Also, it's not like the Spurs haven't lost to some of the worst teams in the league with DD and LA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tonight on News 4 SA, Don Harris reported this bit of news about DDR and the matter of the Spurs trading him vs resigning him. This is a report from Hoops Hype with Chris Haynes reporting: "The San Antonio Spurs are not actively engaged in seeking out a trade for their best player, but that could change if both sides don’t work out an in-season extension leading up to the trade deadline. There is currently no dialogue on an extension, sources said." 9 hours ago – via Chris Haynes @ Yahoo! Sports
    This is definitely something to keep an eye on in the next coming days, but how convenient that DDR is currently away from the team right now. Hmmm... I'm just sayin'.
    Convenient that his dad died?

WTF?!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My Take... DDR isn't good enough to lead any team as it's first or second best player to a ring... He is making 32 this year... His playstyle hampers growth because he can't play off ball... This he turns everyone into jumoshooters when he has the ball because his only option is to drive or post up... It's like the lebron effect... Bosh and Love were great all round players, but because lebron wasn't that much of a perimeter threat and was more focused on holding the ball and driving, he turned them into less rounded versions of their previous selves...

We won't contend with the few years DDR has left until he starts to become unplayable (I'm guessing around 35)... Sell now while we can get value, focus on building what youth we have like the warriors did... Forcing something with DDR is a dead end road

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We just lack star power without DeRozan. Yeah, Murray is definitely getting there and can put up numbers as a #1 option but he's not going to command the opposing defense's attention like DeRozan does just yet. With DeRozan out you need everyone to play good or someone to have a huge game (Murray/White/Keldon) but the odds of that happening night in and night out are kinda slim. The team is fine and they're continuing to improve, but DeRozan is definitely a big reason why they're gelling so well bc he can score and create.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar is the only Spur who can consistently get points at will. If Spurs make it to the playoffs, they would need that when plays slow down to each possession. The problem is consistent defense, and that’s Pop trying to play Patty and Rudy long stretches and Patty even closing some games. If Pop concentrate on making this a solid defensive team with his long guards and mobile bigs, I think Demar go to offense can really shine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not all star power is good for the long term growth of the team... Westbrook is a star... But most would agree he isn't good for a team... Same with Melo when he was in his prime... Simply keeping a star just to say you have a star isn't a good thing... The warriors didn't have a star for a long time... That's until their youth grew into stars... Same with the Bucks... Vassel was drafted before Giannis... Giannis was allowed to play consistently from day 1 and now he is a mega star... Jokic was drafted in the 2nd round... Nobody viewed him as a star... Denver had no stars until their young players grew into stars...they didn't need another star player on the team to help them grow... They grew into themselves by playing with each other for years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus let's not write the book on how this Spurs team will perform sans DeRozan. He's missed a handful of games this year so when he's out they have to adjust their play. That doesn't bode well for consistent results. For 2022, you'd expect the Spurs to have some contributing players that would take the DeRozan/Aldridge $40m salary block. Them along with this young core and Mills should compete solidly, imo.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar is the only Spur who can consistently get points at will. If Spurs make it to the playoffs, they would need that when plays slow down to each possession. The problem is consistent defense, and that’s Pop trying to play Patty and Rudy long stretches and Patty even closing some games. If Pop concentrate on making this a solid defensive team with his long guards and mobile bigs, I think Demar go to offense can really shine.
    We’ve seen demar in the playoffs. It’s not pretty.

Thread Information