Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dislike the term audiophile. Anyhow, thread le speaks for itself. Discussion of great sounding/interesting stereo equipment and well mastered music. Now time for some elitist ground rules:

What isn't Hi-Fi and not worth any discussion.

- Soundbars

- "Lifestyle" products like Apple Homepods, Sonos, and Bluetooth speakers like Beats Pills and JBL Flips.

- Pretty much all Bose component sets.

- Computer speakers.

- Suitcase record players like those from Crosley.

To note, this also really isn't an "expensive" hobby. You can build a killer stereo system that will demolish overpriced junk like Homepods, Pills, Bose for under 100.00 second hand. I can help you do it if you're interested. Just let me know. With that said, Killakobe81, ambchang, Cry Havoc get in here!

-

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks my man.
    Not much of an audiophile. More a music lover.
    Building my set now. Like I mentioned before with Oppo bdp105 as source, Nad m2 or m3 as amp (may thinknof getting a receiver later) and perhaps a set of Psb, focals or magnepans plus a subwoofer.

I have my headphones down pat though.

Main gig is a cambridge cxn as source feeding a sansui 11000a (planning on having it restored) feeding a wharfedale diamond 10.1 bookshelf and a hifiman he6. Same source feeding a kgss electrostatic amp and a stax sr007 mk1 (looking to sell). Also has a home office setup as well with a legendary grado hp2, and a few other sets.
    Mobile gig is just a simple chinese player fed to a portable amp to a tralucent 1p2 iems. I am totally satisfied with this set with no desire to upgrade further. Maybe the source also that I can get rid of the amp.

Would love to upgrade to a kef ls50 if I have the funds. But too poor to do so.

Don’t care too much for power strips and cables for now. Money goes into the main equipment now and my ears aren’t that great either. Besides the music I listen to really doesn’t really need great systems to begin with.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL...calling Beats a "lifestyle" product. Dr. Dre spending his time developing sub prime audio equipment.
    OP is just posing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yamaha amp
    yamaha equalizer
    jbl 3-way speakers
    yamaha mixer mg06
    hanet karaoke machine
    some asian brand condense microphones...

the first 3 items was part of a set my father bought during the 80s for a few grand
    the mixer and karaoke machine/microphones i bought in 2015 for house warming party

i need to upgrade my speakers to PV speakers to fully utilize the karaoke live music

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly the iPhone head phones are pretty good lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bought Seinnheiser HD 598s a couple of years ago for $200 that are like the best thing I've ever bought. I protect them like if they're my kids.

I guess my next step would be to buy a DAC AMP since I mostly listen to digital music from the computer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dislike the term audiophile. Anyhow, thread le speaks for itself. Discussion of great sounding/interesting stereo equipment and well mastered music. Now time for some elitist ground rules:

What isn't Hi-Fi and not worth any discussion.

- Soundbars

- "Lifestyle" products like Apple Homepods, Sonos, and Bluetooth speakers like Beats Pills and JBL Flips.

- Pretty much all Bose component sets.

- Computer speakers.

- Suitcase record players like those from Crosley.

To note, this also really isn't an "expensive" hobby. You can build a killer stereo system that will demolish overpriced junk like Homepods, Pills, Bose for under 100.00 second hand. I can help you do it if you're interested. Just let me know. With that said, Killakobe81, ambchang, Cry Havoc get in here!

-
    Is this an admission that you subscribe to Tidal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly the iPhone head phones are pretty good lol
    Overpriced proprietary Apple garbage

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bought Seinnheiser HD 598s a couple of years ago for $200 that are like the best thing I've ever bought. I protect them like if they're my kids.

I guess my next step would be to buy a DAC AMP since I mostly listen to digital music from the computer.
    I have the HD 280 Pros and love em.. I don't think they're enthusiast level or anything, but they deliver a deep balanced sound.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

what does the DAC do? improve sound quality?

ive been to houses where clowns invest like 5k-10k in a karaoke setup excluding the tv...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this an admission that you subscribe to Tidal?
    Not a Tidal user. 16/44kHz CD audio is transparent enough on the listening side per the range of human hearing. "High Definition" audio is pretty much snake oil. The biggest factor that determines sound quality on a recording is how the content was mixed and mastered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what does the DAC do? improve sound quality?

ive been to houses where clowns invest like 5k-10k in a karaoke setup excluding the tv...
    I'm in the camp that pretty much all DACs are transparent, from the DAC in a 20.00 budget DVD player to esoteric kilobuck DACs. If you had 2k left to spend on gear and your needs were speakers and a DAC, I'd spend 1950.00 on the speakers and just buy a budget bluray player. External DACs do make sense if you listen to sound files through a computer since computers are noisy environments, but other than that, no need to spend more than necessary on one.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digit...hatsoever.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Comical piece of gear, from Sennheiser no less. But an interesting idea nonetheless.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL...calling Beats a "lifestyle" product. Dr. Dre spending his time developing sub prime audio equipment.
    OP is just posing.
    The cost to make Beats heaphones is like 5 bucks. You're buying that for 200.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Related to the Sennheiser product, an attempt in the 70s at a non-headphone personal audio device:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The cost to make Beats heaphones is like 5 bucks. You're buying that for 200.
    Irrelevant. It costs pennies to make a glass of iced tea but no one es about paying $1.50 for one.

For the quality you get with a pair of Beats, $200 is a steal. Although it’s been a long time since I’ve worn the cheaper versions.

But the quality per $ spent is easily the highest in the industry. People pay thousands of dollars for inferior sets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    was at a party last night, the owners of the premises were wedding singers/band, not a bad setup they had, just a few guitors and yamaha mixer hooked up to yamaha pv speakers, the sound was clear and crisp...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Current setup

Speakers
    Living Room: Mirage OM-12 Omnipolar speakers. These guys are phenomenal, older but amazing. Got em for $250 from craigslist back when I was living in chicago and they have never missed a beat. Insane bass with no sub, pretty decent low end extension, and they can handle some serious juice.

Computer speakers: Just upgraded to JBL LSR305s. ing beautiful. They're pretty big but the sound they produce is fantastic and they don't need to be amped as they're active speakers.

Headphones: Hifiman He-400i. Fantastic planar magnetics. What can I say about them that hasn't been said 100 times? They're arguably the best cans in the sub $250 range.

DAC: Audioengine D1. Great little DAC. Needs a few more connections to be perfect though.

Amp: Objective 2. Great amp for the price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Current setup

Speakers
    Living Room: Mirage OM-12 Omnipolar speakers. These guys are phenomenal, older but amazing. Got em for $250 from craigslist back when I was living in chicago and they have never missed a beat. Insane bass with no sub, pretty decent low end extension, and they can handle some serious juice.

Computer speakers: Just upgraded to JBL LSR305s. ing beautiful. They're pretty big but the sound they produce is fantastic and they don't need to be amped as they're active speakers.

Headphones: Hifiman He-400i. Fantastic planar magnetics. What can I say about them that hasn't been said 100 times? They're arguably the best cans in the sub $250 range.

DAC: Audioengine D1. Great little DAC. Needs a few more connections to be perfect though.

ur comp, u using on board sound or u bought a separate soundcard?....fkn onboard sucks man for some reason, cant get good audio or enough high volume

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Current setup

Speakers

Cool to see you're still rocking the Mirages after all this time. I'm still rolling with my 1970s AR11s (recapped and refoamed) and just can't see a reason to upgrade. I do realize speaker design (on paper) has come a "long way" (audio is very mature tech, so that "long way" is like single percent improvements), but they tick all the audio boxes: soundstage, imaging, dynamics, transparency. I know if I dumped 2 or 3 grand into some Revels or NHTs, they would by no means blow away my set. It's not like going from a 1970s color tv to 4K. I really want an excuse to buy more gear, but I just know I wouldn't be "wowed." Rather put that money in buying more multichannel SACDs and the like.

Next big thing for speaker setups will be binaural audio, which only worked on headphones. Scientist from Princeton figured it out. Since you're a VR guy, this should be of interest, since binaural/positional audio through speakers is much better than binaural through headphones (and it'll allow VR users to remove an extra component from the headset). Problem of course is disturbing others and all that.

It’s easy to believe that binaural recordings, recordings made with a dummy head, played through the BACCH 3D filters sound very realistic, and in fact more realistic and stable than when played through headphones/ earphones.

Like in standard stereo, BACCH 3D Sound has a sweet spot. The clever part of the BACCH 3D Sound is that the sweetspot can be designed to be anywhere in the listening room, because the BACCH 3D Sound filter can compensate for any asymmetries in the listening configuration. The listener can sit next to one loudspeaker and far from the other, but the 3D image comes out as if the person was sitting at one corner of the stereo triangle.
    https://www.inner-magazines.com/audi...rget-surround/

Very cool stuff. Hopefully this DSP will be standard in every AV receiver in the coming years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ur comp, u using on board sound or u bought a separate soundcard?....fkn onboard sucks man for some reason, cant get good audio or enough high volume
    Uh, that's what the DAC is for. Ports the sound straight out of the source via USB. No mobo to deal with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some of the you post smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool to see you're still rocking the Mirages after all this time. I'm still rolling with my 1970s AR11s (recapped and refoamed) and just can't see a reason to upgrade. I do realize speaker design (on paper) has come a "long way" (audio is very mature tech, so that "long way" is like single percent improvements), but they tick all the audio boxes: soundstage, imaging, dynamics, transparency. I know if I dumped 2 or 3 grand into some Revels or NHTs, they would by no means blow away my set. It's not like going from a 1970s color tv to 4K. I really want an excuse to buy more gear, but I just know I wouldn't be "wowed." Rather put that money in buying more multichannel SACDs and the like.

Next big thing for speaker setups will be binaural audio, which only worked on headphones. Scientist from Princeton figured it out. Since you're a VR guy, this should be of interest, since binaural/positional audio through speakers is much better than binaural through headphones (and it'll allow VR users to remove an extra component from the headset). Problem of course is disturbing others and all that.

https://www.inner-magazines.com/audi...rget-surround/

Very cool stuff. Hopefully this DSP will be standard in every AV receiver in the coming years.
    Old good sound is still good sound. And man, they're so flexible. With the omnipolar design you don't even really need to sit in the sweet spot to hear everything. They're pretty power hungry though.

Forgot to add: Upgraded to a 55" Sony 4k TV (x850d). 8.5-9/10 on picture quality. Menus are slow as though, but it's worth it and I got a really good price for it.

Just picked up a projector (Optima Mini) for traveling. Now I can game on the road and my PC/Switch monitor fits into a tiny bag. It's a BEAST of a projector.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting my restored sansui Au-11000a back today. Can’t wait!

Thread Information