Page 20 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one in the top 5 of a 3+2 draft is moving down out of the top 5. If you’re OKC sitting on like 6, 16 and 18, I’m sorry, you’re not getting into the top 5. I don’t care if you parlay 16+18 into #9, you’re not getting into the top 5.

No one else is worth spending assets to move up. You’re just as likely to strike lottery gold at 14 as at 6, Spurs more than anyone.
    Completely agree. I wasn’t fixated on top 5 either. I’m not super hot on moving any of our young players to move up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hear what you're saying, and in general I would agree, but, for example, didn't Lyles just walk right in off the trash heap and start immediately? I mean, he had zero familiarity with the team. To me, that is more shocking than Luka getting a starting gig next year. I admit that it would still be odd. But then I look at the options: re-signing Gay and trotting him out again, or overpaying for Markannen, or letting Luka start and embrace our rebuild. I've been advocating what I prefer. Guessing what the FO and Coach does is a different discussion. Maybe we're expecting a FA signing and they surprise us with a trade. We'll see.
    Lyles was/is a young veteran who'd proven to be a (minimal) NBA player, they wanted to bring Gay off the bench and needed a floor spacing four, so like Forbes, he started by default.

"Overpaying" Markannen or whoever is irrelevant because it's not going to hamstring them. They have tons of cap space, you've got to spend at least 90% of the cap anyway and they won't use space as a dumping ground for dead money to extract draft capital.

Bit of a flawed argument when you move the goal posts from “master class” to simply giving themselves the best possible chance.

My whole point is that tanking as a path to long term success has little to know actual examples that have played out like some here seem to think it will. I’m not talking about a single season where things fell apart late in the season. Some here want to see us tank across multiple seasons. Like Philly. Like OKC. It’s never really worked.
    I didn't move anything. Giving themselves the best possible chance is the master class. How it turns out is mostly luck.

Neither does any other path. At least with tanking, you give yourself the best possible chance to find a foundational player.

The way they've done this, if their youth is as good as they seem to think, they could conceivably tank for one season, get a foundational player and immediately be on the way back up, a la the Grizzlies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice article for the most part. I like Petrini. But he avoids mentioning two important factors, at least to me:

1. Signing a guy to a max deal who can’t carry the team is going to be horrible for team morale. Teams have a pecking order, and the one positive of DDR is that he was the obvious leader/alpha, and I think our team morale was actually great this year as younger players fell in line because of that, at least in part. Patty and Rudy had a role too.

2. Why further thwart Luka’s development? Luka could fit the same role as Collins at a much cheaper price. Unfortunately the team avoided getting the answer to this question this year, but if you sign Collins, you might as well call Luka a wasted draft pick because the team failed to develop him.
    Great counter arguments.. also worth considering if a high upside PF Falls to SA the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should use cap space to take on bad contracts while picking up draft capital.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should use cap space to take on bad contracts while picking up draft capital.
    This is kind of where I am. Get future firsts and see how the current crop develops, then supplement in coming drafts with cost controlled players. Trade guys out if they don’t fit long term plan. But by bad contracts, keep it to ones expiring in next two years, and nothing more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until something is established, they should continue in investing in journeymen who will provide veteran leadership, IMO.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until something is established, they should continue in investing in journeymen who will provide veteran leadership, IMO.
    I'd take Batum, would be a great upgrade over Rudy and would bring veteran leadership we need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One more day until we get disappointed by the lottery, woot woot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd take Batum, would be a great upgrade over Rudy and would bring veteran leadership we need.
    Batum is washed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He obviously isn't as good as he once was, but he'd be a great role player for us.
    40% from 3 on 4.5 attempts per game in the playoffs.

9.4/6.1/2.2 with 1.6 steals in 32mpg.

Does a bit of everything, spaces the floor and has no ego.
    Can't find a better role player than that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get your point. Not really an example of tanking though. If anything it’s more of an example how our team has approached things than it does tanking.

As much as I’d love a top 5 pick I think tanking and moving assets to move up isn’t really in our best interest. I’m not opposed to a trade but not if it means moving multiple young players to inch up in the draft. Those aren’t prudent moves which is why we don’t see it from our front office.
    What I mean is the Jazz didn't even need to tank and made them better surprisingly long-term while the 76ers, "Trust The Process", still failing and what's worse is that they can't even past 2nd round esp. this playoffs when they got beaten by a younger team who are also missing their 2 young key players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He obviously isn't as good as he once was, but he'd be a great role player for us.
    40% from 3 on 4.5 attempts per game in the playoffs.

9.4/6.1/2.2 with 1.6 steals in 32mpg.

Does a bit of everything, spaces the floor and has no ego.
    Can't find a better role player than that.
    Harrison Barnes. 16/6.5/3.5. Shot 39% from outside. Sacto is looking to move off his contract to pay their youngsters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were a lottery team the last 4 years Hayward was there. It wasn’t really stretch to say they’d be one the year after he left. They captured lightning in a bottle with the Mitc pick, with an assist from Denver. No one will do us such a solid. They’re jealous, and tired of hearing about us being the model franchise.

No
    One
    Will
    Help
    Us
    Out.
    Yeah. They are bad before 2016-2017 but surprisingly recovered quickly in that same offseason, well it's not like they already foresee it. Mitc had a slow start. I remembered picking him up in NBA Fantasy and was patient holding him until after a month, I was lucky. I had him in 2 of my fantasy league.

It's not like the Spurs are gonna make a trade but having a pick between 10-15 is not bad, historically a lot of players made a huge impact on a team in that range like what I've given as an example - Jazz. Hope the Spurs get lucky this draft since their core are decent as a complimentary players. I wasn't high on Vassell as a pick last year but I think it's fine. Hope they get something good this year as a potential legitimate scorer / go-to-guy - asking for a potential star is too much but hopefully.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This deep run by the Hawks will probably push them to match any offer for Collins up to the max. That doesn't mean it's a good idea, it's just how these things usually work.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This deep run by the Hawks will probably push them to match any offer for Collins up to the max. That doesn't mean it's a good idea, it's just how these things usually work.
    If that's the case then we should make a play for Hunter...they can't pay everyone and one of them will likely get moved at some point..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that's the case then we should make a play for Hunter...they can't pay everyone and one of them will likely get moved at some point..
    Bogdanovich is the odd man out and would solve the financial woes, IMO. If we go by fan reception, Hunter is highly regarded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hunter is only in his second year. They'll be able to pay him when the time comes after Danilo's contract expires.

Huerter and Reddish are the players they'll likely look to trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hunter is only in his second year. They'll be able to pay him when the time comes after Danilo's contract expires.

Huerter is riding high right now and is being looked at as a franchise player lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huerter is riding high right now and is being looked at as a franchise player lmao
    He’s not one, but could be a nice Kyle Korver/JJ Re type of gravity shooter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bogdanovich is the odd man out and would solve the financial woes, IMO. If we go by fan reception, Hunter is highly regarded.
    I don't think they'll move Bogdanovic but, if they do we should be very interested

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He's extention eligible next summer...they won't give him away but they might consider an offer if the resign JC.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah i don’t see Atlanta just letting him walk without trying to match whatever teams throw at him they have gone too far.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Offer him the max and force Atlanta to match then. We don’t have a player like Young to be worrying about cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

feels like KBD will be back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One more day until we get disappointed by the lottery, woot woot
    odds are def not in our favor,but after kawhi sa is due for some good ol fashioned luck

Thread Information