Who is this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin Vassell

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any chance we can bring Davis back? Do we want him back?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/devi...outing-report/

I had to laugh at this analysis of his cons given what I just witnessed on that video...

If that draft placement holds true, he could be available around 11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we draft a SF, it has to be one with a high ceiling and theres only one who is that and it's Deni.

I think the Spurs are going to build around Keldon as our SF of the future. Our guard positions are loaded and Keldon doesn't really have a spot there.

Otherwise, I think we will draft another tweener like Luka ahem Precious ahem in the upcoming draft. It just makes sense with the current roster makeup.

Our team is lacking size at the forward positions in a bad way. Vassell wont solve that and it isnt like he has elite athleticism either.

Dejounte/ Mills/ Quinndary
    White/ Lonnie/ Forbes
    DeMar/ Keldon
    Lyles/ Gay/ Metu/ Samanic
    Aldridge/ Poetl/ Zeller/ Eubanks

trade chips: Mills, Forbes, DeMar, Gay, Metu, Eubanks

I didnt include Lyles as a trade chip since we all know how the Spurs like to maximize the value of trash that they find out of nowhere and build up

We either need someone to uproot Lyles and Gay or draft a SF to backup Keldon in the future. Or even draft a backup SF who will transition easy between both forward spots (Deni or Precious)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He asked if there was a way and there is. It may not be likely but there is a way.
    It’s no more possible than those Philly ‘process’ teams making the playoffs during any of those long five years. Sure, every team starts 0-0 and has the possibility of making the playoffs, but no, they never were, just like PHO and WSH won’t make the playoffs after the restart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/devi...outing-report/

I had to laugh at this analysis of his cons given what I just witnessed on that video...

If that draft placement holds true, he could be available around 11.
    Tankathon has us picking him in their mock anytime we land at 11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tankathon has us picking him in their mock anytime we land at 11.
    Yeah, several services have him higher ranked than the NBA scouting site I posted above. If you read his Twitter feed, he seems like exactly the kind of guy the Spurs draft, and I bet they would -- if he's available...unless they try to go with a more prototypical PF or C type.

Kid might still grow a bit. He's not yet 20.

Looks like a Kyle Kuzma type scorer with a bit better defensive upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell is a twig and yall expect him to guard the LeBrons and the Kawhis and the Giannises?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matisse Thybulle was a better prospect than Vassell. You guys really want to waste a pick on this bust?

This dude literally averaged just 12 pts, 5 rbs, and 1 assist. Whats the fascination?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any chance we can bring Davis back? Do we want him back?
    Dollar figure gonna be far too high. He balled out this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell is a twig and yall expect him to guard the LeBrons and the Kawhis and the Giannises?
    No pieces are set in stone long term and this franchise shouldn't be worried about James or even S bag because their timeline back to relevance likely doesn't coincide with the remainder of time either of them have left of it.

Antetokounmpo will probably remain in the East and mostly has to be defended by bigs anyway.

Matisse Thybulle was a better prospect than Vassell. You guys really want to waste a pick on this bust?

This dude literally averaged just 12 pts, 5 rbs, and 1 assist. Whats the fascination?
    Nah, Vassell is 2 years younger, a significantly better shooter and his counting stats are irrelevant in the same way Bowen's/Green's were/are. Like them, he has a chance to be an elite, malleable role player and highly valuable modern archetype.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No pieces are set in stone long term and this franchise shouldn't be worried about James or even S bag because their timeline back to relevance likely doesn't coincide with the remainder of time either of them have left of it.

Antetokounmpo will probably remain in the East and mostly has to be defended by bigs anyway.

Nah, Vassell is 2 years younger, a significantly better shooter and his counting stats are irrelevant in the same way Bowen's/Green's were/are. Like them, he has a chance to be an elite, malleable role player and highly valuable modern archetype.
    His advanced stats arent eye popping either for a prospect to be taken at the 11th pick.

Saying he can be a Bowen or Green can be said for just about any defensive prospect. Its cheap and lazy to say that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Like i said in the above post, theres nothing spectacular about Vassell's advanced stats.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...a--danny-green

This is comparing him to Danny Green and for the of it, Trevor Ariza. Who else do you want to compare him to? Danny blows Vassell out of the water. He is garbage.

Some of you are lazy as and should stick to regular season stuff and stay out of draft analyses. Clearly very few here spend time watching tape on these draft prospects. All they see are mock drafts (which are way off when the draft comes) or they go by player measurements (Nassir Little).

Lazy, lazy, lazy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His advanced stats arent eye popping either for a prospect to be taken at the 11th pick.

Saying he can be a Bowen or Green can be said for just about any defensive prospect. Its cheap and lazy to say that.
    Who cares about the number of the pick? It's all relative to a specific draft and what's available.

No, it can't. By all accounts, he looks and sounds like an impact defender and plus 3-point shooter. That's rare. There's plenty of pseudo ones, who are good at one or mediocre at both. There's not many that excel at both.

Like i said in the above post, theres nothing spectacular about Vassell's advanced stats.

This is comparing him to Danny Green and for the of it, Trevor Ariza. Who else do you want to compare him to? Danny blows Vassell out of the water. He is garbage.

Some of you are lazy as and should stick to regular season stuff and stay out of draft analyses. Clearly very few here spend time watching tape on these draft prospects. All they see are mock drafts (which are way off when the draft comes) or they go by player measurements (Nassir Little).

Lazy, lazy, lazy
    Those stats are comparable to Green's, who was more than 2 years older at the time, genius.

You seem to be under the impression that some future core is in place, it's just a matter of adding a specific piece and off they go contending again. The reality is, this is ground zero. They may not have a single future core piece in place. Either way, that's the approach they need to take into this draft and beyond.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares about the number of the pick? It's all relative to a specific draft and what's available.

No, it can't. By all accounts, he looks and sounds like an impact defender and plus 3-point shooter. That's rare. There's plenty of pseudo ones, who are good at one or mediocre at both. There's not many that excel at both.

Those stats are comparable to Green's, who was more than 2 years older at the time, genius.

You seem to be under the impression that some future core is in place, it's just a matter of adding a specific piece and off they go contending again. The reality is, this is ground zero. They may not have a single future core piece in place. Either way, that's the approach they need to take into this draft and beyond.
    If thats the impression I had, it totally contradicts why I am against drafting a mediocre prospect like Vassell. Youre saying he can be a solid role player, im saying AIM HIGHER. Im not sure how thats relevant to the discussion either way, since we are talking about whether Vassell is worth the 11th pick. He isn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I missed the earlier part of your post. Who cares what the number of the pick is? Wtf? It's the pick we are likely to have. I wouldnt touch Vassell with a 1st round pick, whether thats at #1 or at #30. Lets see who ends up being right again this year. I dont get why youre adamant of riding this guy's balls. There are better prospects. This guy isnt a rare find.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even the character of this guy isnt anything to snuff at. He sounds like the second coming of Dejounte on his social media. Dude is all about himself and showcasing his mediocre skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lazy, lazy, lazy
    Take a look at his pros and cons on that Tankathon website review. Pretty impressive list with very few negatives. And certainly nothing the Spurs system couldn't halt and turn into a positive. But dude, his defensive potential is NBA ready now. And imagine how much better he could be given a couple years.

We will need a replacement for DeMar. Coming in with that D and a three point shot would be exactly what the Dr ordered, unless of course Poeltl leaves too and we will have no NBA quality starter at the 5.

I'd be cool with a 3, 4, or 5 in the draft, tbh.

Also, I don't think Danny Green is the right comparison. To me, as I said above, it's Kyle Kuzma. Homey is in his third year and likely the 3rd best player on that team behind Bron and Brow.

This kid might not be quite the scorer Kuzma has shown glimpses of, but I think his defensive potential, especially in the Spurs system, is what separates him.
    Last edited by offset formation; 07-18-2020 at 11:13 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If thats the impression I had, it totally contradicts why I am against drafting a mediocre prospect like Vassell. Youre saying he can be a solid role player, im saying AIM HIGHER. Im not sure how thats relevant to the discussion either way, since we are talking about whether Vassell is worth the 11th pick. He isn't.
    I missed the earlier part of your post. Who cares what the number of the pick is? Wtf? It's the pick we are likely to have. I wouldnt touch Vassell with a 1st round pick, whether thats at #1 or at #30. Lets see who ends up being right again this year. I dont get why youre adamant of riding this guy's balls. There are better prospects. This guy isnt a rare find.
    Even the character of this guy isnt anything to snuff at. He sounds like the second coming of Dejounte on his social media. Dude is all about himself and showcasing his mediocre skills.
    I'm saying, it's all relative. In this draft, the 11th pick isn't projected to yield someone with so much as a punchers chance at being more than a quality role player.

Saying he's not worth a 1st period is absurd and shows a total lack of understanding of what's valuable in the modern NBA. I'm not riding . Like I said a while ago, you either draft/develop your own 3 and D wings or you end up having to overpay pseudo ones like Carroll.

Right again? You're basing a draft off of 1 year, where the players in question were all 19 and mostly played in the G-League.

So you've stalked a 19 year old's social media and decided because he doesn't fit some (at best) narrow minded view of "character", he's a problem. This organization can't afford to be so arrogant and dismissive moving forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm saying, it's all relative. In this draft, the 11th pick isn't projected to yield someone with so much as a punchers chance at being more than a quality role player.

Saying he's not worth a 1st period is absurd and shows a total lack of understanding of what's valuable in the modern NBA. I'm not riding . Like I said a while ago, you either draft/develop your own 3 and D wings or you end up having to overpay pseudo ones like Carroll.

Right again? You're basing a draft off of 1 year, where the players in question were all 19 and mostly played in the G-League.

So you've stalked a 19 year old's social media and decided because he doesn't fit some (at best) narrow minded view of "character", he's a problem. This organization can't afford to be so arrogant and dismissive moving forward.
    I've been right about busts since I've argued with someone about Brandon Roy over Rodney Carney (bet you dont even know him). Like I said, once again, we will see who is right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have been known to:

1. Draft players with a skillset not common with their size (Luka, Kyle Anderson)
    2. Draft players with unusual size for their position (Dejounte, Quinndary, George Hill)
    3. Draft players with elite college numbers but other teams overlook due to stigma over age (White, add Manu and Tony here for stigma over international prospects)
    4. Draft players with elite skills hidden by having other college stars on the same team (Keldon)
    5. Draft players with out of this world athleticism (Lonnie, arguably Metu with his quick bounce)
    6. Draft players with out of this world physical measurements (Kawhi)

Vassell fits none of the above.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 07-19-2020 at 08:08 AM.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Draft players with a skillset not common with their size (Luka, Kyle Anderson)
    2. Draft players with unusual size for their position (Dejounte, Quinndary, George Hill)
    3. Draft players with elite college numbers but other teams overlook due to stigma over age (White, add Manu and Tony here for stigma over international prospects)
    4. Draft players with elite skills hidden by having other college stars on the same team (Keldon)
    5. Draft players with out of this world athleticism (Lonnie, arguably Metu with his quick bounce)

spurs drafted players who are humble and obedient, do whatever coach say. Thats all to keep a full control by pop. Thats why it is so hard to predict who will be chosen by spurs because we dont really know the players character.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been right about busts since I've argued with someone about Brandon Roy over Rodney Carney (bet you dont even know him). Like I said, once again, we will see who is right.
    Sure you have . . . how dare I not know about your world famous posting history going back 14+ years to either before you were on this board or were on it under a different username.

You being old enough to have debated the '06 draft is a revelation. At thinking Roy over Carney (freakishly athletic wing) is some claim to fame. If Roy didn't have severe knee issues, he'd have been a candidate for #1 overall along with Aldridge, Gay, Bargnani.

So basically, damn near everything under the sun. Vassell has good size for a "SG". As an "SF", he'd lack length/strength, but it all depends on the match-up.

Despite your obsession with Johnson, the only "elite skill" he has is motor. That's why he went 29 in a wing starved league, because of his lack of a standout skill/physical tools.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure you have . . . how dare I not know about your world famous posting history going back 14+ years to either before you were on this board or were on it under a different username.

You being old enough to have debated the '06 draft is a revelation. At thinking Roy over Carney (freakishly athletic wing) is some claim to fame. If Roy didn't have severe knee issues, he'd have been a candidate for #1 overall along with Aldridge, Gay, Bargnani.

So basically, damn near everything under the sun. Vassell has good size for a "SG". As an "SF", he'd lack length/strength, but it all depends on the match-up.

Despite your obsession with Johnson, the only "elite skill" he has is motor. That's why he went 29 in a wing starved league, because of his lack of a standout skill/physical tools.
    Nice of you to nitpick and deflect using minor points from my posts. About Johnson, well, I'll let these upcoming years speak for themselves. The only thing I ask from you is to admit you were wrong when the time comes. Very many are prideful and never will admit when theyre wrong.

And no, its not damn near everything under the sun. There are many prospects that don't fit these criteria. Youre just too damn lazy to look, just like you are with these prospects. Your whole argument is basically "i like to write paragraphs just to cry about how much I disagree with your posts and nothing i write has any substance because i dont have time to research or make in depth correlation among patterns or players"

Thread Information