Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Game of thrones was seriously ruined by its horrible last season. I can’t even watch the first 4 seasons anymore because all the stories lead to nothing. Well actually there are conclusions but they are so rushed without any satisfying buildup
    Everyone should've tempered their expectations when the series devolved to dragons and walking immortals traversing a blizzard.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I think what ruined Thrones was the idealism of the so called fans that got caught up in the hype. The first 6 seasons were like watching paint dry until the penultimate episodes. Thrones was definitely overhyped and overrated. If anything that’s all the first 6 seasons were...character development. It was brutal. This was a show where viewers were actually rooting for incest but in an uproar about rape. Thrones was supposedly during medieval time period and idiots were upset about how women were treated as if it was depicting modern times.
    Truth is women weren't sh** back then with but a few sparse exceptions. So, the show still did pander to some degree.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think what ruined Thrones was the idealism of the so called fans that got caught up in the hype. The first 6 seasons were like watching paint dry until the penultimate episodes. Thrones was definitely overhyped and overrated. If anything that’s all the first 6 seasons were...character development. It was brutal. This was a show where viewers were actually rooting for incest but in an uproar about rape. Thrones was supposedly during medieval time period and idiots were upset about how women were treated as if it was depicting modern times.
    Yeah once the show lost George RR Martin's book material and when it got mainstream popularity from fans is when the show really started to suffer. There are actually some moron parents out there that named their kids Daenerys which is even more idiotic knowing how her story ends on the show. Still, I think the first 4 seasons are amazing to watch plus I don't mind slow build up stories as long as they pay off in the end. Sadly, those first 4 seasons become a waste of time when you've seen the whole thing play out. All the flaws it had became 10X more during the last few seasons.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Everyone should've tempered their expectations when the series devolved to dragons and walking immortals traversing a blizzard.
    Once they ran out of book material, for sure. The showrunners that followed also could care less when they wanted to end the show to do Star Wars.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Didn’t George say he will end the series the same way as the show? With ing Bran as the king?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Get ready for them towards the end then. Though they're more in the form of flashbacks but IIRC there are a few dream/hallucinations as well.

I put this show more on the level of Deadwood, which are both excellent. I like the old timey music more in Boardwalk Empire much more as well.

HBO really is the king of making believable settings and putting you in there as well. Not so much with their newest though.
    How I rank the HBO shows I've seen all the way through

Tier 1: The Wire, Band of Brothers
    Tier 2: The Sopranos
    Tier 3: Oz, Boardwalk Empire (still need to see Season 5 but I've enjoyed it so far), Deadwood
    Tier 4: The Deuce, Carnivale
    Tier : Game of Thrones

I've seen Six Feet Under, Eastbound & Down, and have kept up with Curb Your Enthusiasm but those shows have a different genre than the ones I mentioned.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Didn’t George say he will end the series the same way as the show? With ing Bran as the king?
    I'm not sure but it wasn't necessarily the ending itself that I found the worst, just the rushed execution and other plot points they just ignored along the way. Led to so many plot holes that I was just not satisfied by the end and felt like the show went from top tier to Walking Dead caliber in a quick minute lol.

Name
    Ricardo
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    How I rank the HBO shows I've seen all the way through

Tier 1: The Wire, Band of Brothers
    Tier 2: The Sopranos
    Tier 3: Oz, Boardwalk Empire (still need to see Season 5 but I've enjoyed it so far), Deadwood
    Tier 4: The Deuce, Carnivale
    Tier : Game of Thrones

I've seen Six Feet Under, Eastbound & Down, and have kept up with Curb Your Enthusiasm but those shows have a different genre than the ones I mentioned.
    Not sure if you’ve seen these shows but The Pacific I actually liked it more than Band of Brothers, but both great shows. Warrior, another Cinemax show like The Knick on HBO Max is an entertaining action series.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not sure if you’ve seen these shows but The Pacific I actually liked it more than Band of Brothers, but both great shows. Warrior, another Cinemax show like The Knick on HBO Max is an entertaining action series.
    I always forget about The Pacific. Definitely need to add it to my watchlist.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I liked The Pacific though it isn't as narratively tight as BoB, which makes since because the latter is based on a single book.

Every once in awhile I'm reminded of a couple of really good stand alone war movies HBO made back in the day that still work IMO. When Trumpets Fade is one of the better no budget, small-squad WWII movies out there; a lot of Sam Fuller energy. It almost gets ruined by Dwight Yoakam (!) in his abortion of an acting career. The other is A Bright Shining Lie which would (and probably should) be a four part miniseries today, though I can't see anyone else but Bill Paxton in the starring role of a super flawed man kind of effectively prosecuting but eventually deluding himself about the nonsensical war in Vietnam.

Back to the topic, I watched BE all the way though but ended up giving almost no s about anyone who was still alive. I was so blown away by Lou Gossett Jr. in that one episode I kept hoping he'd show up again.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Boardwalk Empire, Lost and Game of Thrones all started off hot and ended horribly

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Series was kind of so-so, but this scene with all those little robdiaz's

Name
    Ricardo
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Boardwalk Empire, Lost and Game of Thrones all started off hot and ended horribly
    What do you mean Boardwalk ended horribly? Just curious bro. Thrones? Ehhh it’s debatable I guess.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Is really not. Give examples.
    Ok
    it’s

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    For real. I want a Chalky White spinoff lol
    I thought they could have done much more with him, was kinda disappointed. Michael K Williams is so good.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Is really not. Give examples.
    It drops off badly after season 2.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Yeah who could have guessed from a series adapted from a saga called Song of Ice and Fire.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    What do you mean Boardwalk ended horribly? Just curious bro. Thrones? Ehhh it’s debatable I guess.
    The last season felt rushed to me and I hated Chalky's character arc.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Very different from the sopranos though IMO. Only similarity is the same writers and some of the actors.
    I'm not sure that it's very different. The obvious similarity is gangster stuff. But you've also got a main character that's conflicted about doing the right thing and doing what's right for business. Both have wives that don't like their husbands lifestyle but support them and often help them in getting things done. Both husbands have multiple girlfriends from time to time. Both wives start to fall for employees of their husbands. Both bosses suffer the death of a girlfriend. Then of course all the gangster stuff about partners and getting ed over and killing partners. Both have situations where they have to leave their home for protection and they have to move their families. Etc.

There's plenty of similarities imo. And that's probably to be expected from multi season gangster shows.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    ST full of woke posters who think it's fashionable to call GOT sh**.
    It was on top for a few years for a reason.
    You guys just spend to much gd time reading soy boy Reddit posts whining about how the ending ruined it all.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    You guys just spend to much gd time reading soy boy Reddit posts whining about how the ending ruined it all.
    GOT is . Harry Potter is . Star Wars is the biggest .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Shut up Reek

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College