Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash complains he is not getting credit for doing ‘a great job’ handling Coronavirus epidemic

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/tru..._campaign=3813
    The best job he can do is stay the away from decision making that involves things he knows nothing about (and does not care to understand subjects he knows nothing about.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "massive stock market plunge"

what bull . An 8% correction is not that unusual.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best job he can do is stay the away from decision making that involves things he knows nothing about (and does not care to understand subjects he knows nothing about.)
    Trash and the Repugs have installed a bunch of political kakistocratic hacks through the Exec and Federal judiciary since knowledge and expertise are despised by Repugs, whose entire "governing" strategy is to do as bad a job as possible, to weaken/castrate govt, to turn people against government, and let the oligarchy pickup the pieces.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

daily movements are most often fractions of a percent, obscured by opaque bull like up/down "points"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tucker Carlson Blames ‘Diversity’ And ‘Wokeness’ For Coronavirus

The Fox News host turned to racism as the outbreak continued to spread.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tucker-carlson-coronavirus-diversity_n_5e54f265c5b65e0f11c64b34

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is what presidential leadership looks like now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is what presidential leadership looks like now

"everything is under control".

Holy balls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oversimplified bull . Name the last two day 8% correction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dear Leader says everything is under control. TSA believes him I'm sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Louisiana Republican excoriated Wolf as he deferred to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) on questions ranging from how far the US government was to developing a vaccine for the virus to how many people are predicted to become infected.

"You're supposed to keep us safe. And the American people deserve some straight answers on the coronavirus — and I'm not getting them from you," Kennedy said to Wolf during the tense exchange before a Senate appropriations subcommittee.

Wolf replied, "I disagree."

"We do anticipate the number will grow. I don't have an exact figure for you, though," Wolf said when asked about the potential spread of the virus in the US.

As Wolf struggled to provide a clear answer, Kennedy eventually went on to say, "Don't you think you ought to check on that, as the head of Homeland Security?"

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Tuesday urged Americans to prepare for a coronavirus crisis in the US. The CDC said the number of cases in the US had risen to 57 as of Tuesday, per CNN.

"It's not so much a question of if this will happen any more, but rather more a question of exactly when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illness," Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the CDC, said during a media briefing.

Wolf, like many other Cabinet-level officials in the Trump administration, has been serving as the head of a massive government agency in an acting capacity (without Senate confirmation) for months.

The Trump administration has set up a coronavirus task force, which is being spearheaded by HHS Secretary Alex Azar and national security adviser Robert C. O'Brien, to coordinate the US government's handling of the virus.
    https://news.yahoo.com/trumps-acting...221103121.html

What is ing ironic here is that the authoritarian impulses that ed China in their response are playing out here, right in front of us.

Incompetant, unconfirmed jackasses have been put in place all over the government, because Trump KNOWS they are incompetant and can't get them past his lackeys in the Senate. They are that bad.

This guy can't say the truth for fear of upsetting Trump.

... and people will die. How many more people will die due to this administration's incompetence that would have otherwise?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dear Leader says everything is under control. TSA believes him I'm sure.

"all is well - all is well - ignore your families carcasses - what you are seeing and smelling is not really what is happening"

TSA: "YES SIR!"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baghdad Trash emulating Baghdad Bob

Last edited by boutons_deux; 02-26-2020 at 12:41 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baghdad Trash emulating Baghdad Bob

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's entirely possible that this is a somewhat overhyped crisis that the White House should still be taking a lot more seriously than it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's entirely possible that this is a somewhat overhyped crisis that the White House should still be taking a lot more seriously than it is.
    It's entirely possible it's not overhyped.

Nouriel Roubini thinks the dip will be U-shaped, and doesn't rule out a worldwide recession.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/video...lusional-video

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the disease side pandemic --> endemic, like the cold and flu

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘Defunded the CDC’ to ‘build his wall’:

Trump scorched for incompetent handling of coronavirus –

including spelling it ‘caronavirus’

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/def...8460&list_id=1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I accept your surrender. I take it you can't find any 8%+ two-day corrections that don't involve major crashes.

Corrections in general are common, as you noted. The speed of this one... isn't.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, -0.33% was off 929.92 points, or 3.3%, at its Tuesday nadir, at 27,030.88, a day after the blue-chip benchmark suffered a drop of more than 1,000 points, representing the third worst one-day point drop in the index’s 124-year history.

The Dow finished Tuesday down nearly 880 points to mark its sharpest-ever two-session slide in point terms, losing about 1,910 points, according to Dow Jones Market Data.
    https://www.marke ch.com/story/th...of2&yptr=yahoo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I accept your surrender. I take it you can't find any 8%+ two-day corrections that don't involve major crashes.

Corrections in general are common, as you noted. The speed of this one... isn't.

https://www.marke ch.com/story/th...of2&yptr=yahoo
    No surrender here... 2018 and 2016 just in recent memory. The speed the market went up was almost as fast as it corrected. The underlying economy is fine.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Germany 'heading for epidemic' as virus spreads faster outside China

Germany said on Wednesday that it was heading for a coronavirus epidemic and

could no longer trace all cases,

as the number of new infections inside China - the source of the outbreak -

was for the first time overtaken by those elsewhere.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health/germany-heading-for-epidemic-as-virus-spreads-faster-outside-china-idUSKCN20J0B4?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No surrender here... 2018 and 2016 just in recent memory. The speed the market went up was almost as fast as it corrected. The underlying economy is fine.
    Eyup. Happy to acknowledge that.

As for the "underlying economy", I would say "mostly".

How long will that "underlying economy" keep going if China suffers a debt bubble collapse due to its shadow banking sector failing, and/or Western supply chains that depend on China can't get their goods?

Remember most debt risk in China is completely off the books.

--------------------------------------------------------

BIS Report On China's Shadow Banking Sector Suggests A Problem That's Not Going Away

What is "Shadow Banking" anyway?

China's "shadow banking" sector has long been regarded as the unstable slope on China's debt mountain, just waiting for some change in the weather or distant tremor to bring it all crashing down. Before 2011 "shadow banking" was not particularly significant, but as the liquidity crunch took hold, it became an important conduit for finance. As the name implies, shadow banking happens out of sight, or at least, outside the purview of regulators, and consequently is usually thought of as an activity that is tolerated by the state, but happens between private actors. Traditionally understood, "shadow banking" is banking-like activity conducted by unregulated ins utions or in unregulated conditions, which in China mainly comprises a range of activities from wealth management products to investment trusts.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/douglas.../#614888c71c07

Link:
    Mapping shadow banking in China: structure and dynamics--
    https://www.bis.org/publ/work701.pdf

About BIS - overview
    Our mission is to serve central banks in their pursuit of monetary and financial stability, to foster international cooperation in those areas and to act as a bank for central banks.

Established in 1930, the BIS is owned by 60 central banks, representing countries from around the world that together account for about 95% of world GDP. Its head office is in Basel, Switzerland and it has two representative offices: in Hong Kong SAR and in Mexico City.
    https://www.bis.org/about/index.htm
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 02-26-2020 at 03:27 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Germany 'heading for epidemic' as virus spreads faster outside China

Germany said on Wednesday that it was heading for a coronavirus epidemic and

could no longer trace all cases,

as the number of new infections inside China - the source of the outbreak -

was for the first time overtaken by those elsewhere.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health/germany-heading-for-epidemic-as-virus-spreads-faster-outside-china-idUSKCN20J0B4?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews
    That's nuthin. Wait till it gets to Saudi Arabia, as it almost assuredly already is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This White House is uniquely un-equipped to handle actual crises. They gutted the task force put in place after the Ebola scare, and never replaced it.

There is your irony.

The places in the US with the worst access to health care, i.e. rural areas, will be the places least able to deal with the disease, and that will be made worse by the gross incompetence of the guy they voted for.

Thread Information