Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A philosophical analogy is that it was wrong for the bus line, a governmental en y to make Rosa Parks sit in the back of the bus.

In my opinion it would be equally wrong for the government to force me as a private citizen to pick up Rosa Parks if she was hitchhiking.
    This is another terrible comparison. Picking up hitchhikers isn't your business unless you're a cab driver or bus driver. And if you refused to pick up Rosa Parks while driving a cab, well... you'd be like many cab drivers but it would still be illegal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a difference between instructing a business which customers it must serve and which prices it must set for its goods?
    yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cuz white folks be trippin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abortion for starters.
    Who's forced to perform abortions? On the other end, you would have the government force a women to carry her pregnancy to term.

There's the whole surveillance state/war on terror thing.
    How is this aligned with liberal philosophy?

Drug testing welfare applicants is another example.
    I didn't know Rick Scott was a liberal. How is drug testing welfare recipients aligned with liberal philosophy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who's forced to perform abortions? On the other end, you would have the government force a women to carry her pregnancy to term.

How is this aligned with liberal philosophy?

I didn't know Rick Scott was a liberal. How is drug testing welfare recipients aligned with liberal philosophy?
    1. "Keep your laws off women's bodies"

2. Liberals loved the PATRIOT Act and what happened in Guantanemo Bay, you're right.

3. Opposition to drug testing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. "Keep your laws off women's bodies"

2. Liberals loved the PATRIOT Act and what happened in Guantanemo Bay, you're right.

3. Opposition to drug testing
    I misread your post as proof of instances liberals were okay with government intrusion, since your first post was sarcastic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is another terrible comparison. Picking up hitchhikers isn't your business unless you're a cab driver or bus driver. And if you refused to pick up Rosa Parks while driving a cab, well... you'd be like many cab drivers but it would still be illegal.
    Business owners are still PRIVATE individuals. Especially small businesses. I refuse to work for Toyota because their maintenance guys are pricks, but that doesn't mean Toyota should be able to sue me because as a Japanese company they should be a protected class.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, this is why racial segregation had to be outlawed. It wasn't the government who forced restaurants to separate the blacks into other restrooms, other areas of the restaurant, or outright refuse to serve them. Businesses did this because their clientele expected it. A business that didn't segregate would lose business.

Allowing businesses to discriminate based on sexual orientation opens the door to majority Christian areas to PROMOTE such discrimination by only doing businesses with those places that discriminate. Say Ace and Gary are a married couple in Palestine, TX, but the one Palestine auto shop decides it won't service cars for gay couples. Are they supposed to tow their car to Athens? What if no auto shop in Athens will take their business? What if the Tow Truck company in Palestine won't take their car?
    This isn't a great analogy because, in the case of racial segregation, there is no competing (religious) right that justified discrimination. Racial discrimination didn't/doesn't have the nuance of being religiously justified. Without the opposition of one's religious beliefs, resolving racial discrimination was pretty straightforward, legally speaking.

When it comes to teh gays, things are more complicated because of the religious opposition. You might (and probably do) think that religious opposition is just a fancy way of dressing up discrimination. And there may be some truth to that. But there's also some truth to the guy who just wants to practice his religious beliefs.

Law's like the CADA are ty because they don't strike a balance between these competing rights. And this analogy doesn't exactly work either because it similarly is missing that balancing between rights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But again, this is exactly what Nono said it was: a test case for CADA.

There would be no issue if this guy simply refused to serve the s and didn't say anything about his religious beliefs.

Only some attention who emphasizes his refusal is religiously based would get in trouble. If he just simply refused, he'd probably be fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Business owners are still PRIVATE individuals. Especially small businesses. I refuse to work for Toyota because their maintenance guys are pricks, but that doesn't mean Toyota should be able to sue me because as a Japanese company they should be a protected class.
    You are discriminating based on business reasons, not racial/sexual/demographic. That's not illegal, nor should it be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not hard to understand but I'll put it in cuck speak since you're a moron: is there a mainstream religion that instructs its followers that being black is a sin?
    I'll put this in dumb speak: don't know, don't care, it's irrelevant.

Can't dumb it down for you any further, dumb .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't a great analogy because, in the case of racial segregation, there is no competing (religious) right that justified discrimination. Racial discrimination didn't/doesn't have the nuance of being religiously justified. Without the opposition of one's religious beliefs, resolving racial discrimination was pretty straightforward, legally speaking.

When it comes to teh gays, things are more complicated because of the religious opposition. You might (and probably do) think that religious opposition is just a fancy way of dressing up discrimination. And there may be some truth to that. But there's also some truth to the guy who just wants to practice his religious beliefs.

Law's like the CADA are ty because they don't strike a balance between these competing rights. And this analogy doesn't exactly work either because it similarly is missing that balancing between rights.
    Racial discrimination USED to absolutely be religiously justified. It was only in 1967 that the Supreme Court had to step in to rule that states couldn't ban interracial marriage. Interracial sex was a felony a hundred years ago. Defenders of these laws in both cases used God to justify the cause.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Allowing businesses to discriminate based on sexual orientation opens the door to majority Christian areas to PROMOTE such discrimination by only doing businesses with those places that discriminate. Say Ace and Gary are a married couple in Palestine, TX, but the one Palestine auto shop decides it won't service cars for gay couples. Are they supposed to tow their car to Athens? What if no auto shop in Athens will take their business? What if the Tow Truck company in Palestine won't take their car?
    What if someone lived in Palestine and drove a BMW but the one car shop in town didn't know how to fix BMWs? The owner has to figure out something else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Racial discrimination USED to absolutely be religiously justified. It was only in 1967 that the Supreme Court had to step in to rule that states couldn't ban interracial marriage. Interracial sex was a felony a hundred years ago. Defenders of these laws in both cases used God to justify the cause.
    you got any links for that homeslice? I wasn't aware there was a religious component to Loving

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

religious rights take a backseat if they infringe on someone else's human rights, dumb .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll put this in dumb speak: don't know, don't care, it's irrelevant.

Can't dumb it down for you any further, dumb .
    so your analogy is really much of one then. cool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are discriminating based on business reasons, not racial/sexual/demographic. That's not illegal, nor should it be.
    Well, who judges intent and what is to keep them from suing me claiming it was for racial discrimination?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if someone lived in Palestine and drove a BMW but the one car shop in town didn't know how to fix BMWs? The owner has to figure out something else.
    No one is born a BMW owner. When you choose to purchase a BMW you do so with the understanding that there may be fewer options for you to get repairs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    religious rights take a backseat if they infringe on someone else's human rights, dumb .
    according to our local fedora-donning neck bearded white knighter, Blake, sure. too bad what you want and what is reality are very diff things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, who judges intent and what is to keep them from suing me claiming it was for racial discrimination?
    Unless you ever stated specifically that you won't do business with Japanese suppliers, there's nothing they can do about it.

The law can't fix everything, but intent is clear when a bakery owner says "I won't serve gays."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    according to our local fedora-donning neck bearded white knighter, Blake, sure. too bad what you want and what is reality are very diff things.
    Getting cucked permanently scarred him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is born a BMW owner. When you choose to purchase a BMW you do so with the understanding that there may be fewer options for you to get repairs.
    When you buy a car, you do so knowing that it may break down in an inconvenient place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's exactly why these laws are so stupid.

You can discriminate on religious grounds. It'd have to be done by simply telling the s "no." That scenario that avoids the intent of the law (ending discrimination) and the only way to deal with it, like you said, is to start examining each and every refusal for discriminatory intent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you got any links for that homeslice? I wasn't aware there was a religious component to Loving
    In this written judgment, dated January 22, 1965, Leon M. Bazile, judge of the Caroline County Circuit Court, refuses a motion on behalf of Richard and Mildred Loving to vacate
    their 1959 conviction for violating the state law that forbids interracial marriage. The Lovings eventually appealed their case to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled in their favor in 1967.

Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his [arrangement] there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.

http://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/opinion_of_judge_leon_m_bazile_january_22_1965
    Last edited by Spurminator; 08-14-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Thread Information