Page 22 of 95 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd love for the team to explore options, due diligence in Spurs' corporate speak, involving DD and LA, but if it involves getting back an often injured player like Porzingis with a high price tag, personally, I'd prefer to let our expensive contracts expire and not bring someone in. I believe in our youth even if I don't think think we are close to a championship. Or rather, I'd rather watch our youth develop and see where it goes, while being very clear eyed that we aren't anywhere near winning a championship yet. Put another way, I see Porzingis as a #3 option on a le team, not the #1,, which would be our expectation.
    He was only actually injured once, an ACL tear, and Dallas traded for him while he was injured. He missed the end of one season, an entire season, and as a precaution, the beginning of the next.

In times past, he may have been a second or third option, but in today’s game, if you have good floor spacing AND a center that can both post up and shoot league average on 3 pointers, you break defenses. Literally break them.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was only actually injured once, an ACL tear, and Dallas traded for him while he was injured. He missed the end of one season, an entire season, and as a precaution, the beginning of the next.

In times past, he may have been a second or third option, but in today’s game, if you have good floor spacing AND a center that can both post up and shoot league average on 3 pointers, you break defenses. Literally break them.
    Seems like a moot point when his defense has been as questionable as it’s ever been.

I’ve always got the impression that unless he’s being fed the ball he struggles to find a place on offense. If he can’t fit in and get going then there wouldn’t as much of a benefit as it seems on paper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like a moot point when his defense has been as questionable as it’s ever been.

I’ve always got the impression that unless he’s being fed the ball he struggles to find a place on offense. If he can’t fit in and get going then there wouldn’t as much of a benefit as it seems on paper.
    Both Colllins and KP need to be paired with a complementary, defensive minded big. 2 way 4/5s have gone the way of the dinosaur outside of AD and maybe Embiid, great to have but hard to find. Finding a big who can stretch the floor and be a top tier scoring option is what this team needs to balance out our roster. The complementary big is an easier role to fill.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just for s and grins, would anyone be interested in Porzingod? Sounds like Cuban is clearing cap room, and I know the Spurs have been enamored before. The bad blood between SA and the NYK is supposedly because Dolan accused the Spurs of tampering. He’s obviously not a great fit in Dallas, but he’s got a line of 20p/8r/1.5bl shooting 35% from long, in 30 minutes, and he’s still only 25.

LMA and Lyles is an almost perfect match.
    For LMA and Lyles, you take it and run like you stole something ... But I doubt Dallas does it.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both Colllins and KP need to be paired with a complementary, defensive minded big. 2 way 4/5s have gone the way of the dinosaur outside of AD and maybe Embiid, great to have but hard to find. Finding a big who can stretch the floor and be a top tier scoring option is what this team needs to balance out our roster. The complementary big is an easier role to fill.
    It’s hard to dispute any of your post on theory alone. I assume you view Jakob at the cog that makes it work.

Perhaps that’s a risk worth taking but it would be a huge setback if it didn’t pan out. You’d lose a prospect for sure, maybe even a draft pick too. Plus any financial freedom for the next couple of years. Not to mention that Dallas isn’t looking to move salary. I’m certain if they’re shopping him they want to upgrade not simply rid themselves of a failed experiment.

If I’m the FO for the Mavs I’m thinking that we’re one player away... not looking to move salary and reloading in the off season. Unless the Spurs are willing to invest heavily in the trade I don’t see what would motivate Dallas to trade with us. I don’t see Proz as worth the investment it would take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I’m not sure he needs to be fed the ball, but he does need to touch it. I think he struggles with a ball dominant player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

The Nets are waiving three players -- Noah Vonleh, Iman Shumpert and Andre Roberson -- ahead of deadline to guarantee deals for season, sources tell ESPN.
    9:47pm · 23 Feb 2021 · Twitter Web App

-

Shams Charania
    ShamsCharania
    2m
    Guard Iman Shumpert and forward Andre Roberson plan to sign 10-day contracts with the Nets when they clear waivers on Friday, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Nets maintaining flexibility ahead of guarantee deadline this week.
    Last edited by ace3g; 02-23-2021 at 10:55 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re one of many teams that can’t trade first round picks.

They could offer some of their young guys but doubt anyone bites.
    Couldn't they make the selection and then trade the player's rights?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Couldn't they make the selection and then trade the player's rights?
    Yes, but only on draft night. Teams that technically can't trade their 2021 first-round pick due to the Stepien Rule can do so on the night of the draft by doing just what you said. By selecting the player first, even though it's at the behest of the trade partner, they conform to the Rule, which says a team cannot make a trade that leaves them (or can possibly leave them due to pick protections) without a first-round pick in two future consecutive drafts.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Didn't he also tear the meniscus on the other knee?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I can see KP's fit in an ideal world but he's not really played very well this season. I've only watched a couple of games but he can't really move well, can't guard on the perimeter and even has difficulties scoring efficiently while playing with a top 3 playmaker who can set him up for easy buckets. Maybe he's finding his rhythm after yet another surgery because he was good in the bubble but who knows.

On top of that he's had ACL tear on one knee, a meniscus tear on the other and a bunch of other back and leg issues. This is scary for a 7'3 dude.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but only on draft night. Teams that technically can't trade their 2021 first-round pick due to the Stepien Rule can do so on the night of the draft by doing just what you said. By selecting the player first, even though it's at the behest of the trade partner, they conform to the Rule, which says a team cannot make a trade that leaves them (or can possibly leave them due to pick protections) without a first-round pick in two future consecutive drafts.
    Thanks for the confirmation.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Porky is not an appealing trade piece. He's played in less than 60% of all possible games in the first five years of his career. Big men that are injury prone early in their career continue to be injury prone later in their career as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Porky is not an appealing trade piece. He's played in less than 60% of all possible games in the first five years of his career. Big men that are injury prone early in their career continue to be injury prone later in their career as well.
    Yeah, good point. Probably best to stay away from him. You just made me think of Greg Oden. There's probably other big men I'm forgetting that were better than him, but I always thought he'd turn it around, however, it never happened as it's much harder for injury prone big men to have a long/great career.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

The Nets are waiving three players -- Noah Vonleh, Iman Shumpert and Andre Roberson -- ahead of deadline to guarantee deals for season, sources tell ESPN.
    9:47pm · 23 Feb 2021 · Twitter Web App

-

Shams Charania
    ShamsCharania
    2m
    Guard Iman Shumpert and forward Andre Roberson plan to sign 10-day contracts with the Nets when they clear waivers on Friday, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Nets maintaining flexibility ahead of guarantee deadline this week.
    Vonleh seems like a bargain deal possibility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vonleh seems like a bargain deal possibility.
    Bust.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By Danny Leroux (TheAthletic)

San Antonio Spurs

What would selling look like for them?
    No team has more veteran talent on expiring contracts, particularly players that the team would consider trading. DeMar DeRozan has continued to impress as a starter but LaMarcus Aldridge has battled injury while Patty Mills and Rudy Gay come off the bench and could want something different this summer, though they absolutely could want to stick around. The Spurs’ future looks brighter thanks to their young players so paying top dollar to that quartet does not make a ton of sense unless they are willing to take short deals. That may open up a window for a trade or two, especially if another team sees how that player can elevate them this season and potentially re-sign in the summer.
    There are not too many trade possibilities outside those four because even if the front office has identified which young Spurs are weaker fits with their plans, that sort of a deal typically happens around draft time once other teams know their needs for the next season. Also, San Antonio could easily want all of them to stick around and no one will get a new contract until Lonnie Walker IV in 2022 so there is no rush to make decisions.

Why would they be sellers?
    One faint downside of being stronger than expected this season is that it will be hard for the Spurs to add a high draft pick to this young core, so moving veterans who are not a part of their long-term plans would give Brian Wright more opportunities to find a difference-maker. One big way to do so would be moving someone like Mills for a player with a longer contract so the trade partner is both upgrading and saving money. Some of those frameworks have the potential to open up a meaningful return and improve the next great Spurs team.

Why would they reject selling?
    There is not a ton of incentive to do so, especially since the veterans with the most trade value are helping the Spurs make the playoffs this season. San Antonio has hit on plenty of late first-round picks in the last few years but moving helpful players and potentially taking on negative-value contracts makes San Antonio worse now and they have a good shot of making the playoffs. It could be a different conversation if someone such as Aldridge makes it clear he is not coming back after this season, but most of their vets have significant salaries so trades will be tougher to execute.

Will they be sellers?
    It feels like they should and will listen, but a deal actually happening feels unlikely. DeRozan, Mills and Gay are important parts of the Spurs’ success and feel unlikely to inspire a king’s ransom while Aldridge is dealing with a hip injury and makes $24 million this season. If another team comes calling and makes it worth their while, a deal could happen but the Spurs starting the season strong significantly reduces their incentive since making the playoffs would be a great step.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN Insider Bobby Marks

San Antonio Spurs

What to watch: The Spurs' front office
    The optics from the outside suggest that San Antonio will put a for-sale sign on its roster as we get closer to the deadline.

The Spurs have $85 million in expiring contracts between DeMar DeRozan, LaMarcus Aldridge, Rudy Gay, Patty Mills and Trey Lyles. Although San Antonio is a possible playoff team, the Spurs are not a contender in the Western Conference.

The "seller mode" philosophy however is filled with flaws.

The Spurs have executed a solid plan of blending young players Dejounte Murray, Jakob Poeltl, Derrick White, Keldon Johnson and Lonnie Walker IV with their veterans.

The minutes of the five players have not been compromised at the expense of the veterans. Murray, Johnson and Walker are regular starters (each averaging a minimum of 27 minutes), with White and Poeltl averaging north of 20 minutes off the bench.

DeRozan has managed the same minutes from last year and still performs at an All-Star level, while Mills is in contention for Sixth Man of the Year honors.
    As for finances, the $27.7 million and $24 million contracts of DeRozan and Aldridge make finding a match difficult if the Spurs were to explore a trade for either player.
    DeRozan has value, but because of his large salary, San Antonio would have to take back $22.2 million in salary.

The option that makes the most sense is for San Antonio to do nothing on the trade front.

Although it is possible that the Spurs could lose each free agent for nothing, there is a high premium placed when it comes to playoff experience for their former draft picks.
    Keep in mind also that the Spurs are projected to have at a minimum $50 million in cap space this offseason to reshape their roster.

Front-office deadline history: The last time San Antonio made a trade during the regular season was February 2014, when Austin Daye was acquired for Nando De Colo. Since 2012, San Antonio has made only seven trades overall.

Restrictions/notes

• The Spurs are $1 million below the luxury tax and have an open roster spot.

• The signing restriction for Jakob Poeltl will get lifted on March 3.

• Derrick White has a poison pill restriction in his contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN Insider Bobby Marks
    It doesn't make sense to do any trades. Getting the 6th seed would be a win for the Spurs and really we could get Phoenix in the first round. I see the Lakers dipping a lot without Anthony Davis. Lebron can't carry a team by himself anymore and since he traded half the team to get Davis, they are gonna drop in the rankings.

BUT if someone did come along and offer something for LMA or Gay then I would take it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It really feels that LMA would be the only one moved at this time. I think they like what DDR and Gay provide, and Mills is a fixture.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't make sense to do any trades. Getting the 6th seed would be a win for the Spurs and really we could get Phoenix in the first round. I see the Lakers dipping a lot without Anthony Davis. Lebron can't carry a team by himself anymore and since he traded half the team to get Davis, they are gonna drop in the rankings.

BUT if someone did come along and offer something for LMA or Gay then I would take it.
    I feel the same way... a trade would be nice if someone is willing to overpay but the status quo isn't a bad option for the rest of the season either..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Rudy as being the most valuable trade piece. First off, I don’t consider DD to be on the block, because you would never get value for him, and he’s a key starter. LMA has fallen off a cliff, and likely won’t bring anything in return.

That leaves Rudy, a stretch shooting big with something left in the tank. He is both replaceable, and can fetch an asset in return.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure the Lakers would gladly take Aldridge to replace the corpse of Marc Gasol. I just don't see how we could make a deal work with them. I would love to get Horton and a pick from them though.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d be very surprised if the Spurs move anyone. I fully expect them to miss out on a potential superstar in the excellent upcoming draft as well as miss the playoffs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ATL is losing at lineups where Collins play center. The only pure finisher making max money are Gobert and Thompson. I don't think he is a max player, he is a one position player who can't create his own shot. You really can't play him a lot of minutes and optimize your lineups. He is in the same boat as Markannen and Bagley, they need to play some center but they lack rim protection. Can you justify playing your max player 26 min a night. I don't like big man who can't play positive spot center minutes, FO's seems to think the same since both Markannen and Collins failed to secure extensions.

Spurs might just go after value signings like Fournier, Powell when Derozan leaves. Gary Trent is also a restricted free agent i can see them pursuing they liked him before the draft. Duncan Robinson can be value if Miami goes after Oladipo.
    Agreed, but these are things that would matter more if the goal were to build a championship team, as opposed to Pacers East.

The names you mentioned will cost significant money anyway and as I and others have said, there's no appreciable difference between $10M.

Those are just lesser players and though you could make the argument for better fit, in the end they'd be at best more or less in the same spot, so why not go for the superior talent? Some ideal player/scenario isn't going to fall into their lap.
    Last edited by TD 21; 02-25-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Thread Information