Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't disposable income and personal savings really increase because suddenly people who were employed (which was still most people) couldn't spend their money on things they normally would have like the gym membership, travel, fine dining, etc.? I didn't lose my job and that was my experience. I suddenly had extra money in my pocket because I had nothing to spend it on that I usually would have spent it on.
    It's both. The one-time check plus UI were the equivalent of a large raise for millions of people, as well as padding the bank account for folks who didn't lose their jobs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's both. The one-time check plus UI were the equivalent of a large raise for millions of people, as well as padding the bank account for folks who didn't lose their jobs.
    Yeah, but my point is we shouldn't be giving tax payer funded checks to people as "padding" for their bank account if they didn't lose their job. If anything, they need it even less if they didn't lose their job because they probably have fewer discretionary expenses as a result of COVID.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but my point is we shouldn't be giving tax payer funded checks to people as "padding" for their bank account if they didn't lose their job. If anything, they need it even less if they didn't lose their job because they probably have fewer discretionary expenses as a result of COVID.
    Expediency cuts against that. People need the money ASAP, delays for means testing would mean more deaths, more economic wreckage, and more social dislocation.

There's also no telling who is *about to* lose their job. Weekly new claims have been between 700,000-900,000/week since the end of August and may e again with coming lockdowns and social distancing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expediency cuts against that. People need the money ASAP, delays for means testing would mean more deaths, more economic wreckage, and more social dislocation.
    The official unemployment rates is 6.8%, which dramatically understates the severity of the problem, BUT it does make clear that a minority of people actually need money ASAP. The major economic wreckage is principally a result of both lockdowns and changes in consumer behavior as a result of COVID -- and not necessary because people don't have money in their pockets to spend at certain businesses. In fact, the NY Times article you cited indicated that earlier in the year people did have money in their pocket and yet the businesses directly impacted by COVID the most were still crushed. Airlines, movie theaters, dry cleaners, the local nail salon, etc. etc. etc. are losing business because of safety precautions related to COVID and more stimulus to consumers will have little impact on them.

There's also no telling who is *about to* lose their job. Weekly new claims have been between 700,000-900,000/week since the end of August and may e again with coming lockdowns and social distancing.
    One time stimulus checks are an expensive way of not even really solving this issue. The most effective use of tax payer funds would be to target those actually filing for unemployment benefits even if it's not perfect it's still a more efficient use of tax payer funds.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the $1200 stimulus checks were trivial bull compared to the $600/week

$1200 doesn't cover a small family's cost of living for even one month, assuming $600 min for rent

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    House Repugs want to adjourn, having done nothing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    House Repugs want to adjourn, having done nothing
    Where the heck is Trump? He wrote that he wanted a stimulus deal larger than even Nancy and yet Mitch pretends that Trump won't sign anything other than a tiny bare bones bill.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where the heck is Trump? He wrote that he wanted a stimulus deal larger than even Nancy and yet Mitch pretends that Trump won't sign anything other than a tiny bare bones bill.
    Trash's priority is Confederate names remaining on military stuff, ready to veto the defense bill.

I expect NOTHING from Trash, except what he's delivered for the past 5 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The official unemployment rates is 6.8%, which dramatically understates the severity of the problem, BUT it does make clear that a minority of people actually need money ASAP. The major economic wreckage is principally a result of both lockdowns and changes in consumer behavior as a result of COVID -- and not necessary because people don't have money in their pockets to spend at certain businesses. In fact, the NY Times article you cited indicated that earlier in the year people did have money in their pocket and yet the businesses directly impacted by COVID the most were still crushed. Airlines, movie theaters, dry cleaners, the local nail salon, etc. etc. etc. are losing business because of safety precautions related to COVID and more stimulus to consumers will have little impact on them.

One time stimulus checks are an expensive way of not even really solving this issue. The most effective use of tax payer funds would be to target those actually filing for unemployment benefits even if it's not perfect it's still a more efficient use of tax payer funds.
    I think the severity of the the fiscal cliff we're standing on now and the very long tail both the pandemic/recession are likely to have removes concerns about efficiencies. The bigger the push the better. It doesn't matter if people who don't really need it get the money, this isn't an ordinary recession.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 12-04-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the severity of the the fiscal cliff we're standing on now, and the very long tail both the pandemic/recession are likely to have removes concerns about efficiencies. The bigger the push the better. It doesn't really matter if people who don't really need it get the money, this isn't an ordinary recession.
    All that matters is keeping the stock market high so the dirty poors can't buy into it at discounted rates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All that matters is keeping the stock market high so the dirty poors can't buy into it at discounted rates.
    The pandemic and the suite of human needs arising therefrom will not be mocked in the long run. There will be economic and political consequences for whatever path we take. I'm hoping hard that the pandemic and people's needs get prioritized more than they have until now. Fellating Wall St. and rentiers is going to happen no matter who's in charge.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The pandemic and the suite of human needs arising therefrom will not be mocked in the long run. There will be economic and political consequences for whatever path we take. I'm hoping hard that the pandemic and people's needs get prioritized more than they have until now. Fellating Wall St. and rentiers is going to happen no matter who's in charge.
    USA Of The People could benefit from an FDR and his country-saving projects, but America doesn't produce FDRs anymore.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    USA Of The People could benefit from an FDR and his country-saving projects, but America doesn't produce FDRs anymore.
    We have an FDR in the senate right now from Vermont. Who of course has no place in the modern Democrat party of Bill Clinton and Rahm Emmanuel.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't recall the last time I agreed with David Brooks about anything, but this article is spot on:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/03/o...mcconnell.html
    what David Brooks fails to recognize is the the oligarchy/Repugs actually WANT govt to fail to do its job For The People.

The only way CARES got passed is that the oligarchy also got $100Bs, $Ts from the Fed, so The Rest Of Us Got something.

They are finding many many $Bs of fraud, theft in PPP, EIDL, etc and I am CERTAIN that much of it was done by legit operators and businesses skilled in dealing with govt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are finding many many $Bs of fraud, theft in PPP, EIDL, etc and I am CERTAIN that much of it was done by legit operators and businesses skilled in dealing with govt.
    They're finding the fraud everywhere. It'll go down as one of the biggest in history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Compared to giving extended/enhanced unemployment benefits that at least go to people who are unemployed... This money is much more likely to be put in the hands of people who need it more and who are more likely to spend it on essentials and not on the stock market (where we know a lot of the first stimulus money went) or luxury goods.
    that's a moral argument about who deserves money and who doesn't and has absolutely nothing to do with economic efficiency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would even go further to save it it's inefficient even in getting it into the hands of people that need it.

Your way is essentially saying let's cut out McDonald's worker from the benefit because CEO might get a thousand bucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's a moral argument about who deserves money and who doesn't and has absolutely nothing to do with economic efficiency.
    It has to do with efficient use of taxpayer funds. We don't have unlimited taxpayer funds regardless of the low interest rates. The principal of any newly issued federal debt will have to be paid off or refinanced at higher rates later regardless of where the interest rates are today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It has to do with efficient use of taxpayer funds. We don't have unlimited taxpayer funds regardless of the low interest rates. The principal of any newly issued federal debt will have to be paid off or refinanced at higher rates later regardless of where the interest rates are today.
    That's quite the assertion. Do you have anything to back up that idea?

It does seem the deficit doomcasting is back in Vogue now but deficit spending over the last 40 years doesn't led to any economic catastrophe in and of itself that I've seen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should go to everybody. Most people are likely to spend it, and those that don't, paid down debts, given the data. Given the likely effects of job cutting going forward in the next year that is fairly prudent.

WH also makes a good point about the likely cost of means testing.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is so stupid. We're talking about another half year of aid. There is an actual time frame with the vaccines. Pearl clutching about the debt now is disingenuous and pretty much unmitigated evil.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We pour endless oceans of cash into defense, and don't bat an eye. We have given trillions to the richest who don't need it.

It might not be unlimited, but it certainly doens't seem like we are close to any real limit. Fed will be holding interest rates low low low for a long time.

The cost of US government debt service has actually been going DOWN.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Was this the 900 billion deal? Even that was too much for the turtle?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is so stupid. We're talking about another half year of aid. There is an actual time frame with the vaccines. Pearl clutching about the debt now is disingenuous and pretty much unmitigated evil.
    Especially at near-historically low rates of interest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We pour endless oceans of cash into defense, and don't bat an eye. We have given trillions to the richest who don't need it.

It might not be unlimited, but it certainly doens't seem like we are close to any real limit. Fed will be holding interest rates low low low for a long time.

The cost of US government debt service has actually been going DOWN.
    All of this ignores the crucial point of whether it's an efficient and effective use of tax payer dollars. And our outrageously high spending on defense is not an excuse for more bad spending.

Thread Information