Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am much further down on Lauri than I was... I'm still not that impressed with Collins either (although he's well ahead of Lauri)... I still think we need to let the vets go. I know there's nobody worth paying big money to in FA but after watching Sacramento last night the two biggest differences I saw were 1) shooting and 2) toughness/aggression. Silva, Davis, Harkless etc all are just journeymen types but they all have a little 'Dawg' in their game.... I'd probably spend a little money on two or three of those types and try to fill the rest of my roster with shooters... I'd also do everything in my power to move up for Wagner if (as a staff) they feel like they can get him to a 38+% 3 point sniper.. if they can, with his playmaking ability, he's going to be special...
    You need vets, just don't play them too much, actually Patty is playing near to 30 minutes per games that's way too much.

Imo Collins is not worth a max but he will bring a lot to this team and for the harkless, silva .... i will not buy what i saw today, harkless is not a consistent player, not sur of what he would have bring to the spurs.

We agree about shooting and wagner.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. Luka needs to start over Keldon. I love Keldon’s energy but his reluctance and inconsistency in hurling the 3 is hurting the team. He’s perfect as a Manu role. Or Vassell on SF and Demar to PF. Either way Pop needs to insert a shooter.
    i'm more with the idea of Vassell strating, we need shooting and D he brings that, Samanic will not bring you both in a consistent way imo.

And we need to talk about Johnson, he looks lost actually. He needs to work a lot on his shot because when the paint is closed, he does nothing. Love his effort but he needs to change something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s one way to look at it. The other way is that a team that missed the playoffs did absolutely nothing other than add a rookie to the roster they already possessed. That’s a fact. Changing rotations is fine and true but they stood pat.

Sometimes that’s ok. Like when you have Duncan. Most times with a team like SA, it’s not ok if your real goal is to be seriously competing for playoffs.

I’m happy with letting guys walk and changing rotations; I’m fine not making playoffs if that’s the case. But you can’t sit there and defend what is an obvious and straightforward take. They did nothing to change their roster heading into season
    Agree. And not just the roster, but the style of play. They change Forbes/Beli with Mills/Rudy who chuck 3’s and play poor defense. This team is built to run and gun. That was the Bubble. And I thought Pop was ready to roll with the young blood? Instead it’s over relying on Demar, Rudy and Patty. Come on Pop! That didn’t work last year, remember?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. And not just the roster, but the style of play. They change Forbes/Beli with Mills/Rudy who chuck 3’s and play poor defense. This team is built to run and gun. That was the Bubble. And I thought Pop was ready to roll with the young blood? Instead it’s over relying on Demar, Rudy and Patty. Come on Pop! That didn’t work last year, remember?
    Looks like he will never change something, when we lose 4 in a row i was thinking that he could change something in the lineup. It was obvious we need more shooters but no.

Now it's on some players to wake up but a lot are on pop and his staff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm more with the idea of Vassell strating, we need shooting and D he brings that, Samanic will not bring you both in a consistent way imo.

And we need to talk about Johnson, he looks lost actually. He needs to work a lot on his shot because when the paint is closed, he does nothing. Love his effort but he needs to change something.
    Keldon’s offense now is rebound and taking it all the way. Which is not bad and this team should be doing more that instead of stopping after they hurriedly pushed it down only for Demar to stop. But again, Keldon needs motion offense and people who can hit outside to create open lanes for him. Instead we have iso after iso and no spacing. But loves the kids effort/motor and wants to reward him with the starting gig, but it’s hurting the spacing imo. Unless he’s playing with shooters, Keldon cannot start.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon’s offense now is rebound and taking it all the way. Which is not bad and this team should be doing more that instead of stopping after they hurriedly pushed it down only for Demar to stop. But again, Keldon needs motion offense and people who can hit outside to create open lanes for him. Instead we have iso after iso and no spacing. But loves the kids effort/motor and wants to reward him with the starting gig, but it’s hurting the spacing imo. Unless he’s playing with shooters, Keldon cannot start.
    I agree. Dieng would give something to this team with his outside touch, that's the only hope now because the other is to change the depth chart....

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon is hurting us a lot , but development is key this year so they have to figure it out to move forward with this group. Jakob is being incorporated on the offense more is a good progression. Defending the pick and roll with a vertical spacing big is another problem they need to address.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon is a capable player but he needs the ball to be effective offensively

there’s 4 of those players in the starting line up - White is passable off ball with his shooting but his skills are maximized most as a ball handler.

Demar derozan is holding the whole show up folks. That’s where we’re at right now. There’s a bunch of young players who need the ball and the spurs are prioritizing an offense led by a dude on an expiring contract on the wrong side of 30 who has given up more points to the opposing team statistically than anyone else in the game of basketball.

I will probably have a stroke if they offer him a new deal at the end of the year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    vassell has to be much less timid on the floor before id consider him a viable option for extended minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean DDR leaving the team next year will fix a lot of issues. It means everybody gets to play in their natural position. Murray at the 1. Lonnie at the 2. KJ at 3 instead of 4. Luka at the 4 with real size and mobility. And begrudgingly Poeltl at the 5. Of course Pop won't start Luka next year but he should. White needs to be a bench player. Along with Dieng and Vassell. Then just get filler players and see what happens.

And just say NO to Mills and Rudy Gay. Not even for the min those ing chuckers.
    Even if the Spurs manage to replace DDR scoring, I'm not seeing 20 to 25 more points from the rest of the team. Also our three point shooting is pretty poor. To lose Gay and Mills would be a bigger loss than what you Invision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

there’s 4 of those players in the starting line up - White is passable off ball with his shooting but his skills are maximized most as a ball handler.

Demar derozan is holding the whole show up folks. That’s where we’re at right now. There’s a bunch of young players who need the ball and the spurs are prioritizing an offense led by a dude on an expiring contract on the wrong side of 30 who has given up more points to the opposing team statistically than anyone else in the game of basketball.

I will probably have a stroke if they offer him a new deal at the end of the year.
    I don't see it. Spurs haven't actually lit up defensively when he isn't playing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see it. Spurs haven't actually lit up defensively when he isn't playing.
    It’s a combination of defensive woes and redundant offensive skillsets

Whether you see it or not- the numbers show derozan being out scored by more points than most everyone else in the game aside from fringe players on terrible teams.

There has to be some rationale for that. It can’t just be a coincidence year after year.

Look on the perimeter. Find a replay of last nights game or any of the games during the losing streak and just watch Demar defensively. Just watch him and no one else. See what happens.

Last night was an example of a total team failure - but several games on this skid have been punctuated by Demar having the worst +/- on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Rip tony soprano

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alpha Murray clearly mad... So which player(s) has trouble defending the PnR?

IMO, it's a great thing he's speaking up like this. Push those mother ers out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alpha Murray clearly mad... So which player(s) has trouble defending the PnR?

IMO, it's a great thing he's speaking up like this. Push those mother ers out.
    If they had more tenacious team defenders outside of Jakob and DJ they could play a more aggressive PnR coverage. But with Demar as one of your perimeter defenders you can’t count on him to rotate at the right time to cover the roll man if you blitz the ball handler or keep up with his man if they look to dish it out to a shooter.

KJ does a decent job helping in the paint when they employ a more trapping style defense, usually with Demar on the bench- but often times he’s slow to react and chase a shooter off the 3 point line.

that leaves either Jakob dropping back depending on his match up or a player on the perimeter cheating into the driving lane to cut off the penetration which opens up the 3 ball

Personnel problem and an effort problem.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's definitely odd to have at least a few very solid defensive players in the lineup and yet continually get broken down. Yeah, it's hard not to pin this on DDR. But White is nowhere near his peak version, either.

But as for this team. We've hitched our wagon to either DDR or DJ, if not both. I greatly prefer DJ. I love the leap he's made. The next step for him is to actually learn how to be a point guard and find people in their spots. When he's playing well he is scoring the ball, mostly one on one. That's not a sustainable offense longterm, either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if the Spurs manage to replace DDR scoring, I'm not seeing 20 to 25 more points from the rest of the team. Also our three point shooting is pretty poor. To lose Gay and Mills would be a bigger loss than what you Invision.
    No I envision it as a big loss offensively. I just think that they should be gone from the team. I'm tired of no defense, no passing, and chucking up bad shot after bad shot. This team needs to be rebuilt anyways and they aren't the right vets for us going forward imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the team has a myriad of issues, the biggest imo being that the SL does not fit and has no iden y. Murray is not a real PG. Neither is White, but he is a better PG than Murray. Both need the ball to be effective, and so does DeRozan, along with Keldon.

Spurs obviously are going all in on Murray as their future PG, which I am not fully sold on but it is what it is. Spurs just need to get rid of DeRozan or if he is going to start you cant start Murray and Johnson with him because White being the only real threat from deep is killing us.

White/Murray/Mills
    DeRozan/Walker
    Vassell/Johnson
    Samanic/Gay
    Poeltl/Dieng

We all know this rotation would work so much better because it gives DD three shooters to pass to on the perimeter and the two man game between Poeltl and White is much better than with Murray. But we also know it's never going to happen because Pop would prefer to keep pounding a square peg into a round hole

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar is a poor perimeter defender, and Keldon gets overpowered in the paint. Why doesn’t Pop put the best defender and let defense create offense? Luka is sitting there and can remedy both the spacing and help with rim protection, and hides Demar to guard the weakest link. And also allows Keldon more touches with the 2nd unit. I love Keldon, but he can be more effective with shooters around him, Patty, Vassell, Rudy and even Dieng, to open the lanes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the team has a myriad of issues, the biggest imo being that the SL does not fit and has no iden y. Murray is not a real PG. Neither is White, but he is a better PG than Murray. Both need the ball to be effective, and so does DeRozan, along with Keldon.

Spurs obviously are going all in on Murray as their future PG, which I am not fully sold on but it is what it is. Spurs just need to get rid of DeRozan or if he is going to start you cant start Murray and Johnson with him because White being the only real threat from deep is killing us.

White/Murray/Mills
    DeRozan/Walker
    Vassell/Johnson
    Samanic/Gay
    Poeltl/Dieng

We all know this rotation would work so much better because it gives DD three shooters to pass to on the perimeter and the two man game between Poeltl and White is much better than with Murray. But we also know it's never going to happen because Pop would prefer to keep pounding a square peg into a round hole
    im not so sure about that this year

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I would like to see as an experiment (and possibly a starting lineup next year):

DJ
    Lonnie
    Vassel
    Luka
    Poetl

The weakest defender is Lonnie. 2.5 shooters (Lonnie, Vassel, ?Luka?). Big question: Is there enough shot creation between DJ, Lonnie and Luka?

White + Keldon would make a strong second unit, I think. If Keldon can figure out how to shoot, he could switch in for either Lonnie or Vassel.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IV being out perhaps hurt us more than I first thought. Without his shooting and attempt at driving and kicking, we are worse. And shooting and passing are definitely major weaknesses. Good lord, I'm actually missing SloMo right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I would like to see as an experiment (and possibly a starting lineup next year):

DJ
    Lonnie
    Vassel
    Luka
    Poetl

The weakest defender is Lonnie. 2.5 shooters (Lonnie, Vassel, ?Luka?). Big question: Is there enough shot creation between DJ, Lonnie and Luka?

White + Keldon would make a strong second unit, I think. If Keldon can figure out how to shoot, he could switch in for either Lonnie or Vassel.
    I'd love to see that lineup attempted. Pop is always a year or two behind in making changes.

White does need to move to the second unit while DDR is on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar is a poor perimeter defender, and Keldon gets overpowered in the paint. Why doesn’t Pop put the best defender and let defense create offense? Luka is sitting there and can remedy both the spacing and help with rim protection, and hides Demar to guard the weakest link. And also allows Keldon more touches with the 2nd unit. I love Keldon, but he can be more effective with shooters around him, Patty, Vassell, Rudy and even Dieng, to open the lanes.
    because Luka needs this season to get over himself. We‘ve seen this movie before

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you ask me I would start Lonnie for Keldon. Still not ideal, but should give us better spacing. I‘d also love for Luka to start at the 4 but we all know that won’t happen this season

Thread Information