My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And you think he can do nothing right
    That's because he sucks at this.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Long term I think Gorsuch and Roberts are going to almost always be in lockstep on how they vote. Next summer when SCOTUS issues a bunch of 5-4 rulings with Roberts and Gorsuch siding with liberals, Trump s are going to be raging at Trump for nominating a “fake conservative” to the bench.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McConnell said Garland’s non-confirmation was specifically because it was an election year. You’re revising history.
    Regardless. The Dems enjoyed 8 full years of Senate majority, at points a very healthy majority. The window was 2007-2014 and they did replace two Republicans (Souter and Stevens) with two very liberal Democrats (Sotomayor and Kagan). The GOP's window only started in 2015 and will likely end in 2022 when Ron Johnson, Portman, Toomey etc. are up and have to defend losing battles.

Each side gets their eight-year window.

SCOTUS deaths are random but let's not forget, Obama did replace TWO Republicans, while Trump has also replaced 2 Republicans but no Democrats yet up until this point.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Election year is irrelevant. The Senate didn't confirm Garland in 2016 because they had the Cons utional right not to, since the GOP had the majority they said no to Garland. Theoretically they could have still said no to anyone Hillary picked if Hillary won but the GOP retained the Senate majority.

The difference is, from 2007-2014 the Dems had the Senate majority, so they were the gatekeepers for all SCOTUS picks. That was their window. Scalia died in the GOP's window. So the Dems can stop being butthurt and crying "election year" foul when the Garland non-confirmation had nothing to do with "election year" and everything to do with Senate majority and timing.
    By that logic the dems can pack the court since they'll have the cons utional right to. Not advocating for that, because it would be a cluster without some kind of amendment

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Long term I think Gorsuch and Roberts are going to almost always be in lockstep on how they vote. Next summer when SCOTUS issues a bunch of 5-4 rulings with Roberts and Gorsuch siding with liberals, Trump s are going to be raging at Trump for nominating a “fake conservative” to the bench.
    Roberts was a bad pick all along. Gorsuch is more conservative but not quite like Alito, Thomas, Kavanaugh.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the logic acrobatics Republicans are attempting to rationalize how 2020 is different from 2016 is laughable on the surface. They should just say "We have the Senate Majority and this is what we want to do." It's what Democrats know they mean, and it's what Republicans want anyway.

Who exactly are they trying to convince and why does it matter anyway?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Regardless. The Dems enjoyed 8 full years of Senate majority, at points a very healthy majority. The window was 2007-2014 and they did replace two Republicans (Souter and Stevens) with two very liberal Democrats (Sotomayor and Kagan). The GOP's window only started in 2015 and will likely end in 2022 when Ron Johnson, Portman, Toomey etc. are up and have to defend losing battles.

Each side gets their eight-year window.

SCOTUS deaths are random but let's not forget, Obama did replace TWO Republicans, while Trump has also replaced 2 Republicans but no Democrats yet up until this point.
    Souter and Stevens were Republicans? They were both considered on the liberal side of the bench. You don’t know what the you’re talking about.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many died, ducks?
    the question is what is CFR for 2009 swine flu vs covid19?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    does a citizen's vote in the general election carry the same weight as a senator's in a situation like this?
    Now you're haggling over value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gorsuch and Roberts never crossed at the same time on the big decisions, either by design or actual jurisprudence. But it does behoove the republicans to keep the social they disagree with, legal. So they can continue to the poor and also do their best to keep voting down.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    speaking of 2013... the Dems have nary room to complain about the Merrick Garland/Scalia episode in early 2016.

McConnell is right... this is NOT the same or analogous to Garland/Scalia. The Republicans had the Senate in 2016 and by Cons utional law can accept or reject anyone. The House of Reps have zero say in SCOTUS. If Scalia died in 2013, you'd be damn sure Obama would have rammed a third Democrat down the GOP's throat and the GOP senate minority couldn't have done a damn thing about it.
    Yeah they can accept or reject. But instead they decided Obama didn't have the authority to make a nomination when they never brought Garland up for a vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can be arrested for solicitation, you don't need to make the transaction.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Gorsuch and Roberts never crossed at the same time on the big decisions, either by design or actual jurisprudence. But it does behoove the republicans to keep the social they disagree with, legal. So they can continue to the poor and also do their best to keep voting down.
    Even Kavanaugh wanted nothing to do with ruling on abortion issues this cycle. Trump went 0-2 on picking SCOTUS judges who want to overturn Roe v Wade (by design since as you said it’s better for them if Roe v Wade is a wedge issue) but his supporters give him credit for stacking the court with pro life judges.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the logic acrobatics Republicans are attempting to rationalize how 2020 is different from 2016 is laughable on the surface. They should just say "We have the Senate Majority and this is what we want to do." It's what Democrats know they mean, and it's what Republicans want anyway.

Who exactly are they trying to convince and why does it matter anyway?
    Simple, they need to be the heroes in their own story and after convincing themselves it was right to do it in 2016 they need to now convince themselves that this is different because they've built this false narrative where it is them and only them who stands in the way of the evil libs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did nothing because the Republicans voted Kavanaugh in.
    Yeah, thats convincing.

Hey, you guys having a beer tonight?
    This makes no sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Souter and Stevens were Republicans? They were both considered on the liberal side of the bench. You don’t know what the you’re talking about.
    They were both GOP appointees and both belonged to the Republican Party.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    They were both GOP appointees and both belonged to the Republican Party.
    How did they typically rule, with the liberal judges or conservative judges?

Ann Coulter at one point said Stevens’ should be poisoned to death. Sounds like he was a real far right Republican!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah they can accept or reject. But instead they decided Obama didn't have the authority to make a nomination when they never brought Garland up for a vote.
    No. Obama had the authority to make the nomination, and he did. But McConnell and Co. had the authority to confirm or reject, which they exercised the power to do so (reject).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How did they typically rule, with the liberal judges or conservative judges?
    Meh, Roberts is the same way honestly. I don't know what causes judges to turn to the left after they get in. Because liberal judges never seem to turn to the right post-appointment.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    No. Obama had the authority to make the nomination, and he did. But McConnell and Co. had the authority to confirm or reject, which they exercised the power to do so (reject).
    They never brought it for a vote because McConnell wanted to help senators like Toomey and Ron Johnson avoid casting s controversial vote in an election year. It was an unprecented move to not bring a SCOTUS nominee to the floor for a vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even Kavanaugh wanted nothing to do with ruling on abortion issues this cycle. Trump went 0-2 on picking SCOTUS judges who want to overturn Roe v Wade (by design since as you said it’s better for them if Roe v Wade is a wedge issue) but his supporters give him credit for stacking the court with pro life judges.
    No he was one of the judges that voted to uphold the louisiana abortion law. He don't give a .

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Meh, Roberts is the same way honestly. I don't know what causes judges to turn to the left after they get in. Because liberal judges never seem to turn to the right post-appointment.
    Its almost like being in a position where they have to impartially interpret the cons ution and law causes judges to become more liberal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They didn't confirm or reject, which is why it was bull that he did what he did.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simple, they need to be the heroes in their own story and after convincing themselves it was right to do it in 2016 they need to now convince themselves that this is different because they've built this false narrative where it is them and only them who stands in the way of the evil libs.
    Their best chance at heroism is being as " the libs" as they can possibly be. The posturing is self serving. They're trying to convince themselves they have any conviction beyond winning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They never brought it for a vote because McConnell wanted to help senators like Toomey and Ron Johnson avoid casting s controversial vote in an election year. It was an unprecented move to not bring a SCOTUS nominee to the floor for a vote.
    well, that was one reason, the other being the more obvious not having 5 reliable liberal votes + 2 50/50 votes and only 2 reliable conservatives. Even if Garland was a 50/50, that would still be a strong advantage to the Democratic ideals.

toomey, portman and ron johnson are dead in 2022, hence why that was my prediction for the year the Dems take back the Senate.

Thread Information