Page 86 of 171 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 4270
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now I know why Spurs interviewed him, Pop sees Bonner in that release.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress

26 points, 10 rebounds for Iowa's Joe Wieskamp in his final game of the NBA Combine. Showed he can shoot in a variety of ways and also found ways to contribute in other areas. Good week for him in Chicago.

3:42pm · 25 Jun 2021 · Twitter for Android

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another French guy coming ! 🇫🇷

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I trust the Spurs to make the right choice on draft night. Im much more anxious about their trades/free agency plan this summer.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m one of Kai’s biggest fans on this board and understand that he’s a risk, but using the “comes off the bench” argument holds little weight.
    Players like Zach Lavine, Zach Randolph, Russell Westbrook and Devin Booker were or are NBA stars who occupied the same role as Kai - game changing 6th Men on compe ive college teams.

As I’ve said before, if you think he’s purely a 5 - you drop him down on your board.

If you think he’s some weird Wing/Frontcourt hybrid who in 3 years could be one of those game changing studs on both sides of the court; you take him as soon as you can.

Eubanks isn’t guarding smalls or wings either. Kai, in time maybe able to do that with regularity.
    This!

High risk brings high reward. We either win a championship or don't go into playoff at all. Jones is someone who can play 4 or 5, can shoot the 3 and defend wings. Not many guys can do that in this league. If he does meet expectation, he will bring a championship with the current rooster plus another sharp shooter.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's my pipe dream to trade for another 1st rounder and draft both Kai Jones and Trey Murphy III.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathan Isaac was my favorite FA target for the Spurs before he signed his extension, and Kai Jones definitely fits that kind of profile... I just don't know if he'll get to quite that elite defensive level. Watching Isaac next season is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

”I like to be even keeled. Never too high, never too low”

same line Pop has used to describe some of his own players over the years. He said that about White.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players like Wieskamp show why it's a waste to go after a guy like Kispert with a lottery pick. You can find 1-dimensional sharpshooters anywhere if you look hard enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kai Jones will be a super star. We will be lucky if he is still available at 12.
    I love your optimism my man but it’s unlikely that he ever reaches that level of game changing talent, at least consistently to receive that label. That’s certainly within his ceiling though.
    I do think in time he could be a “star” by focusing on certain skills and continuing to expand his understanding holistically for the game of basketball at its highest level.

This is an interview from 3 years ago when he was 17.
    Even if you’re not a fan of his game, well worth a watch.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been burned by Athletic guys who have started to play basketball late in life or those who can’t shoot. You hoping they can make a huge jump to the next level but very few seldom do no matter where they are picked

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been burned by Athletic guys who have started to play basketball late in life or those who can’t shoot. You hoping they can make a huge jump to the next level but very few seldom do no matter where they are picked
    Wait... "very few seldom do"... Sooooo.... Most DO make the jump to the next level?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

John B

Watch this entire video and tell me his defense is good with a straight face.

He's slow footed, and lazy on close outs. He's not even putting his hand up when he runs to his guy! Defending 3's is arguably the Spurs' kryptonite. Jalen was put on skates in one play in the video. His hips are so stiff, he gets blown by so easily.

Jalen is more like a center on defense. If we're thinking of him as a small ball 5, that's fine. Any other way and we may be looking at a continuation of last year on defense.

No doubt he is talented on offense. And if that's what the Spurs see as something special, then go for it. If he has no character concerns, then go for it. But he has a lot of work to do on defense, and it may be possible that he'll just be a liability on that end and his team will have to find a way to mask it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wieskamp would be a great prospect to come off the bench, space the floor, and provide scoring. He will also give you some value on the defensive glass. He is not near the top of my list, but he could be a solid UDFA signing, if still available.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

John B

He's slow footed, and lazy on close outs. He's not even putting his hand up when he runs to his guy! Defending 3's is arguably the Spurs' kryptonite. Jalen was put on skates in one play in the video. His hips are so stiff, he gets blown by so easily.

Jalen is more like a center on defense. If we're thinking of him as a small ball 5, that's fine. Any other way and we may be looking at a continuation of last year on defense.

No doubt he is talented on offense. And if that's what the Spurs see as something special, then go for it. If he has no character concerns, then go for it. But he has a lot of work to do on defense, and it may be possible that he'll just be a liability on that end and his team will have to find a way to mask it.
    Fair point. But Lonnie is a good example of what this team can do when it comes to developing defense in a player completely lost on that end of the court.

Lonnie would have progressed much faster had he not been as bad as he was on the defensive end of things. It basically took an extra year of development to overcome that. Is this guy worse than Lonnie?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players like Wieskamp show why it's a waste to go after a guy like Kispert with a lottery pick. You can find 1-dimensional sharpshooters anywhere if you look hard enough.
    Solid point..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair point. But Lonnie is a good example of what this team can do when it comes to developing defense in a player completely lost on that end of the court.

Lonnie would have progressed much faster had he not been as bad as he was on the defensive end of things. It basically took an extra year of development to overcome that. Is this guy worse than Lonnie?
    Unfortunately, I don't share the same viewpoint of Lonnie "overcoming" his weaknesses on defense. Sure, there may have been 3-4 games where he was OK. But overall, his improvement came on the offensive side of things. Lonnie has too many brain farts on defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These are my 10 favorite prospects in the draft......after seeing Wieskamp.....I will put him at 11 (deep threat, hustle player, gives you solid dirty minutes off the bench)

F/C Alperen Sengun
    SF Vrenz Bleijenbergh
    C Neemias Queta
    PG Rokas Jokubaitis
    G Mario Nakic
    F Roko Prkacin
    F/C Charles Bassey
    F/C Jay Huff
    PG Josh Giddey
    F Scottie Barnes

G/F Joe Wieskamp

the 3 I want in Spurs uniforms the most next season are in bold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

John B

Jalen Johnson is so bad he made Coach K retire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I challenge people to watch the entire video.

This is why it's absurd to think Kai is a good shooter.

He's a rim rolling big, and could become a great one. IF the Spurs draft him, it'll mean they have future plans without Poeltl being a part of it. And that's fine if that's the case.

There's nothing consistent about his shooting form. To believe he'll be a 4 in the NBA is fantasy (unless obviously a team chooses to play twin towers for defensive sake).

This is a kid who was given a lot of freedom with his shot selection in college, which he will not get in the NBA... especially not on a team like the Spurs.

Kai would be perfect on a team like the Hornets.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 06-26-2021 at 06:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but it's usually the Forbes archetype aka undersized off guards. The Kispert types make big money in this league now (Harris, McDermott and though a different build and/or position, Bertans, Robinson). Not that I'm advocating for Kispert, just saying.

I actually think Jalen Johnson will be their number two option behind Sengun at this point.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

John B

Hard pass. Has no dog in him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I challenge people to watch the entire video.

This is why it's absurd to think Kai is a good shooter.

He's a rim rolling big, and could become a great one. IF the Spurs draft him, it'll mean they have future plans without Poeltl being a part of it. And that's fine if that's the case.

There's nothing consistent about his shooting form. To believe he'll be a 4 in the NBA is fantasy (unless obviously a team chooses to play twin towers for defensive sake).

This is a kid who was given a lot of freedom with his shot selection in college, which he will not get in the NBA... especially not on a team like the Spurs.

Kai would be perfect on a team like the Hornets

You don’t draft him at 12 if you think he’s just a rim rolling big. Better players at that currently in the draft who can be obtained a lot later.

He is an inconsistent shooter atm which doesn’t mean he’s a bad shooter. Big difference.

For example, have a look at JT Thor’s shooting mechanics in highlights from college and compare them to what they are now pre-draft.
    In a short time, he’s seemingly refined his shot without requiring a total rebuild.
    Even though they shoot differently, I expect Kai will have made similar, tangible improvements in his which amounts to the equivalent of a slight tinker.

I expect that when he has his Pro Day exhibition, he’ll enter most top 10 draft conversations.
    Raptors are even said to be looking at him now at #4.

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/...exas-nba-draft

I agree though that the Hornets would be perfect for a team like Kai. Hopefully they go in another direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information