Post Count
    Another Stepien article from today:

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/05/2...fense-players/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/jabarijyoung/sta...353425921?s=12

#Spurs doing their due diligence over the last few days. Told front office officials and team scouts attended the Roc Nation Sports workouts to watch prospects like USC’s Kevin Porter Jr. and attended Wasserman’s workouts as well. All in Cali.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/jabarijyoung/sta...353425921?s=12

#Spurs doing their due diligence over the last few days. Told front office officials and team scouts attended the Roc Nation Sports workouts to watch prospects like USC’s Kevin Porter Jr. and attended Wasserman’s workouts as well. All in Cali.
    Wasserman has Luka Samanic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that it probably matters but Dejounte is close friends with porter jr

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has me worried some too, but I have heard enough good things to lean way more towards excited than scared. Plus, SA likes him.
    Wouldn't surprise me (would if they didn't), but haven't actually heard that.

My sense is they'll try to trade into the late lottery for either Little (as I predicted, supposedly moving back into top 10 territory) or him.

The Heat at 13 could be a target. If they're not thrilled with anyone available or can get their target at 19, I wonder if they'd do 13 for 19, 49 and Forbes.

Obviously they wouldn't offer all 5, but between those 3 assets plus Bertans and 29, if the Spurs really want to go into that range, they can probably do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't surprise me (would if they didn't), but haven't actually heard that.

My sense is they'll try to trade into the late lottery for either Little (as I predicted, supposedly moving back into top 10 territory) or him.

The Heat at 13 could be a target. If they're not thrilled with anyone available or can get their target at 19, I wonder if they'd do 13 for 19, 49 and Forbes.

Obviously they wouldn't offer all 5, but between those 3 assets plus Bertans and 29, if the Spurs really want to go into that range, they can probably do it.
    I have heard it. Take it for what you will and I’m not claiming to have sauces, but I have heard by asking around where I can and from people that I trust that SA definitely has an interest in Rui.

To what degree? Not sure. Have not heard if they like him enough to trade assets to get him. But they have been scouting him and doing their due diligence and there are connections from the Spurs to Rui naturally as well.

But of course, they like others too. But from what I have heard, they like Rui and believe that his flaws are something they can shape and mold and turn into a really good player.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have heard it. Take it for what you will and I’m not claiming to have sauces, but I have heard by asking around where I can and from people that I trust that SA definitely has an interest in Rui.

To what degree? Not sure. Have not heard if they like him enough to trade assets to get him. But they have been scouting him and doing their due diligence and there are connections from the Spurs to Rui naturally as well.

But of course, they like others too. But from what I have heard, they like Rui and believe that his flaws are something they can shape and mold and turn into a really good player.
    Hope they trade up for Little, Kevin Porter Jr, or Rui. Either of those 3 can be molded into cornerstone franchise players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spur should go all in to get Little. Defense is a given and offense has a lot of potential.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spur should go all in to get Little. Defense is a given and offense has a lot of potential.
    Preach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yall need to understand though that SA can’t make other teams trade with them. Trading is hard and it’s not like people are excited about getting pummeled in a deal by SA . SA has a lot of great relationships throughout the league but don’t think that if they don’t make a trade it’s because they were not trying/willing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Little is garbage and is too small and talentless to be a Spurs cornerstone. no!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see the spurs moving up for two guys : little or doumbouya.

I hope we’ll not trade up to have Rui but if he is there at 19 i’m Ok.

imo in this draft very few prospects are worth a trade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Little is garbage and is too small and talentless to be a Spurs cornerstone. no!
    You hate Rui and Little. Who do you like?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yall need to understand though that SA can’t make other teams trade with them. Trading is hard and it’s not like people are excited about getting pummeled in a deal by SA . SA has a lot of great relationships throughout the league but don’t think that if they don’t make a trade it’s because they were not trying/willing.
    AGG, The Atlanric, ESPN, SI and NBAdraft.net have Little going anywhere from 9 to 17 with 3 at 11. Doesn't mean that’s where he’ll go but not inconceivable Spurs couldn't put a package together acceptable to them that they could get up that high. Depends on what they think of Little or any other player. If they're Leonard hot or him or any other player they have three picks this year, next years picks and some players to play with.
    Last edited by picnroll; 05-29-2019 at 07:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AGG, The Atlanric, ESPN, SI and NBAdraft.net have Little going anywhere from 9 to 11 with 3 at 11. Doesn't mean that’s where he’ll go but not inconceivable Spurs couldn't put a package together acceptable to them that they could get up that high. Depends on what they think of Little or any other player. If they're Leonard hot or him or any other player they have three picks this year, next years picks and some players to play with.
    For sure - I’m saying SA will try. They can’t force teams to trade though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a pretty big believer in Ben Rubin at The Stepien and the way he approaches the draft. With the way the modern nba is trending, you need good decision makers at every position as well as positional versatility both offensively and defensively.

I'd target PJ washington at 19 and grant williams at 29; pj's long, has shooting that can translate, has a decent handle, and has a legitimate out to shift down to a big wing
    williams also for two way ability, good passing ability out of the short roll and from the elbows, has a jumper that seems like it can translate, and is strong enough to make up for his deficiencies in wingspan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a pretty big believer in Ben Rubin at The Stepien and the way he approaches the draft. With the way the modern nba is trending, you need good decision makers at every position as well as positional versatility both offensively and defensively.

I'd target PJ washington at 19 and grant williams at 29; pj's long, has shooting that can translate, has a decent handle, and has a legitimate out to shift down to a big wing
    williams also for two way ability, good passing ability out of the short roll and from the elbows, has a jumper that seems like it can translate, and is strong enough to make up for his deficiencies in wingspan
    I'm on board with Ben's analysis at The Stepien as well and I don't disagree with your assessments - but the Spurs will almost surely need to trade up if they want PJ Washington. He's going in the mid to late lottery. I would absolutely love to get Grant Williams at 29 - that would be excellent value and he may slip a bit due to his measurables.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you or someone can post the entire article, you’re welcome

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you or someone can post the entire article, you’re welcome
    ace3g Seconded

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You hate Rui and Little. Who do you like?
    Ive watched countless tape, and have continued to watch more tape as we get closer to the draft. My top 5 has evolved in the past month but my bottom 5 has been consistent because its easy to point out prospects that have major flaws and are overhyped. The main thing for me is feel for the game first (which is consistent with what the Spurs have drafted) and then physical attributes followed by character and passion for the game. Current top 5:

1. Samanic (his switchable defense is elite, approach to the game is Manu-like meaning he sees things few do in real time)
    2. Bazley (his offensive repertoire is elite)
    3. Roby (jack of all trades, older but still green. Great physical profile. Switchable defense)
    4. PJ Washington (safest pick Spurs can make. Can have a Patrick Patterson type impact but better)
    5. Grant Williams (total culture fit, team first on offense and can fit seamlessly in the offense )

I guarantee the Spurs WILL draft one of the players above.

Garbage bottom 5
    99. Rui Hachitrash
    100. Nassir Tiny
    101. Tyler Herro
    102. Admiral Schofield

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t get Baz having having high character or passion for the game the dude signed his New Balance deal and did nothing this past year serious red flags but I get the rolling the dice thing. I would also add following.

1. Keldon Johnson - SF - Pop would love coaching this kid good on offense and defense is a true basketball player.
    2. Cam Johnson SF - Has the heigh and length oh and is one of the best 3 pointer shooters
    3. Mfiondo Kabengele - C/PF 6’10, 7’3 Wingspan - Big tough athletic who can hit the 3 quick twitch player but does need to get over himself.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Duombouya have new measurements out yet? Was always slightly concerned about the 6'11" wingspan. I think that was from when he was 18, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive watched countless tape, and have continued to watch more tape as we get closer to the draft. My top 5 has evolved in the past month but my bottom 5 has been consistent because its easy to point out prospects that have major flaws and are overhyped. The main thing for me is feel for the game first (which is consistent with what the Spurs have drafted) and then physical attributes followed by character and passion for the game. Current top 5:

1. Samanic (his switchable defense is elite, approach to the game is Manu-like meaning he sees things few do in real time)
    2. Bazley (his offensive repertoire is elite)
    3. Roby (jack of all trades, older but still green. Great physical profile. Switchable defense)
    4. PJ Washington (safest pick Spurs can make. Can have a Patrick Patterson type impact but better)
    5. Grant Williams (total culture fit, team first on offense and can fit seamlessly in the offense )

I guarantee the Spurs WILL draft one of the players above.

Garbage bottom 5
    99. Rui Hachitrash
    100. Nassir Tiny
    101. Tyler Herro
    102. Admiral Schofield
    Who are your top guys at 19 or if the Spurs move up though? There's no way you're saying that if all those guys (including your bottom 5) are there at 19 you take Samanic, right?!?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAN ANTONIO — Imagine attempting to paint a picture with all the tools available, or at least most of them. The paintbrushes are there, the colors, the canvas. Even the space on the wall where the picture will hang has been arranged.
    Once completed, the goal for this picture is to enter a contest, with the reward being a nice-sized gold trophy that will be celebrated forever.
    The problem is there is no clear vision on how to create this masterpiece. And even when there is a blueprint on how to paint this picture, starting the process to complete it isn’t as simple as it appears to be. When it’s finished, there is no guarantee it will be contest-worthy, or at least not enough to make it to the final round of the compe ion.
    “Sometimes the picture isn’t always pretty,” a Western Conference exec said.
    “And sometimes the colors aren’t always available,” an Eastern Conference exec added.
    Almost a month removed from the postseason, this is where the Spurs are currently standing — at the beginning stages of their offseason, trying to paint their picture to enter next season’s NBA contest with the hopes of capturing their sixth award: a Larry O’Brien Trophy to add to their championship display case.
    The questions facing the Spurs are the same questions facing every other team. As they progress deeper into this offseason, they’ll need to figure out if their current picture — a 48-34 squad that finished seventh place in the Western Conference without the services of starting point guard Dejounte Murray — is good enough or if they’ll need to erase half the picture and add to the layers that seem to be standing out.
    It’s probably safe to bet on the latter.
    The first order of business to determine how to add to that picture is currently in progress with the NBA Draft process. The Spurs’ brass was present in Chicago last week and is now turning its attention to individual workouts at the team’s practice facility this week.
    Villanova’s Eric Paschall (Vincent Carchietta / USA Today)

“We don’t control what happens ahead of you,” Spurs GM R.C. Buford told The Athletic. “There is still a lot left to be determined between now and June 20.”
    This is the philosophy the Spurs have lived by since June 25, 1997. That was the last day they controlled the draft and selected Tim Duncan, who has helped keep the Spurs from lottery territory for 19 years. It’s fair to say that pick was a high return on their investment.
    But there is no Duncan in this 2019 class. Instead, this is what some like to consider a role-player draft. Outside of about four or five players, there isn’t much star talent. And picking at Nos. 19 and 29 in the first round, the Spurs understand this better than most.
    They’ve done their homework with scouting intel and, again, they love high-character guys. There were a few names mentioned in this space that the Spurs interviewed and will interview in the coming weeks. As the Spurs try to keep their draft business in-house, a look around to identify so-called “Spurs players,” Tennessee’s Grant Williams continues to receive high praise from NBA scouts for his character.
    There is a behind-the-scenes story surrounding Williams at the combine. He wasn’t supposed to play in the two scrimmages but insisted he would when chatting with an Eastern team.
    Williams told the officials from this East squad: “I’m a player, and players play. I’m not scared of none of those dudes over there.” That was welcome news, as they wanted to see Williams play. Again, his character is impressive.
    The Spurs are scheduled to work out Williams in the coming weeks in San Antonio. Another player on their workout radar: Villanova’s Eric Paschall.
    The 6-foot-7 forward is being compared to Williams in this regard: He has the basketball smarts to excel as a pro. Paschall averaged 16.5 points and 6.1 rebounds in 36 games for the Wildcats in his senior season. The Athletic’s Sam Vecenie, who has Paschall ranked 35th on his draft board, notes, “Paschall is a strong, physical player with the ability to shoot it from distance and be something of a mismatch problem.”
    You talk to NBA scouts around the league, and they concur. Having spent time under Wildcats coach Jay Wright, Paschall, 22, is viewed as a seasoned college player who knows how to play. Wright runs a team-oriented, disciplined system that demands his players play together and holds them accountable, which is why teams flock to his program, as they know Villanova has a reputation of developing players.
    Sound like a familiar NBA organization?
    Over the past two years, there have been a few steals out of Villanova: guard Josh Hart (drafted by Utah 30th overall in the 2017 draft and traded to the Los Angeles Lakers) and guard Jalen Brunson (selected 33rd overall by the Dallas Mavericks last season).
    Paschall has won championships at Nova, so he understands what goes into winning; he plays hard and can be coached, according to those who have scouted him over the years.
    “That’s why Eric has value in all facets,” a Western Conference scout told The Athletic. “Fundamentally sound, plays his role, and he knows what expected of him.”
    “He’s a ing basketball player,” another scout added. “You don’t play for Jay Wright by just coming down and jacking up jumpers. You’re going to shoot, and you’re going to defend.”
    It’s here where the Spurs are at their best when painting this portion of their picture. They identify through scouting and then develop. But perhaps where they are at their best: They exhibit patience and look at all cir stances when evaluating talent.
    For an example of this, flashback to Tony Parker’s workout in 2001. It’s well-known Parker wasn’t exactly his best during the first workout, and a lot of outside human-element factors contributed to this. Had the Spurs just given up on Parker after the first workout, who knows how that would’ve changed the history of the franchise?
    But they examined why they felt he was bad, called him back for a second workout, and this time he knew what to expect and excelled. The result? Well, just look at the record books.
    The same can be said for Murray. Around league circles, Murray didn’t have the best interviews during his draft process, but when it came to the Spurs, he performed well and his values aligned with what the Spurs wanted. The results are still pending, but so far, so good. He’s looking like a possible franchise point guard.
    “A values fit is important to our program,” Buford said.
    When contemplating what picture the Spurs are trying to paint when it comes to the draft, consider that formula of patience, character and values, in addition to skill set, on the court. Once again, as they’ve done throughout the years, they’ll try to master this part of the painting and move to the next phase.
    “The first priority is to do well in the draft,” Buford said. “And then, from that, then you face the next challenge.”
    And the next task is the in-house business.
    Rudy Gay (Ron Chenoy / USA Today)

“Rudy has been a terrific part of our family, and Rudy’s family has been a big part of our family,” Buford said. “I think we’ve been really impacted by his presence. So, our goal will be to keep him in the program.”
    Gregg Popovich made no secret of the team’s plan for Rudy Gay when he spoke at his end-of-season media session. He said re-signing Gay would be significant.
    Simply put: Gay fits the Spurs’ current culture, has shown he can be a factor off the bench, is a good locker room presence and doesn’t take himself too seriously, as Popovich requires. As long as DeMar DeRozan is around, Gay needs to be also.
    “He’s the kind of guy that we look for,” Popovich said. “He’s easy to deal with. He’s intelligent; he enjoys people. He’s got a great sense of humor. All those things make people be attracted to him.”
    After playing on a one-year deal, the Spurs will most likely use the Early Bird option to re-sign Gay to a contract ranging from two to four years. The salary maxes out at roughly $17 million per season. Gay could elect to play the free-agent market again next summer and sign a one-year deal. For this to occur, the Spurs would need to renounce his Early Bird rights.
    They could also use their $9.2 non-taxpayer midlevel exception to bring Gay back, but that seems unnecessary, as they have his Early Bird. If they do select this option, Gay could sign a two-year deal, but the second year can’t include a team or player option. The Spurs can attach a non-guarantee to the contract’s second year, which would allow them to waive Gay next summer and be on the hook only for part of his salary.
    A two-year-deal scenario could be interesting. Next summer, DeRozan will need to decide on his future, and that could impact LaMarcus Aldridge’s future beyond this season, too. If the two aren’t in the picture for the 2020-21 season, it could free up Gay to continue his championship chase elsewhere.
    This part of the picture — re-signing Gay — seems to be set, and all that needs to be done is the actual painting. But with free agency, anything can occur.
    For Gay, this could be his last substantial deal. After sacrificing $14 million two years ago, you get the feeling he’ll want a fair deal for his services.
    Trevor Ariza (Soobum Im / USA Today)

“We’ll look at all options,” Buford told The Athletic. “We’ve got to look at what happens in free agency. We’ve got to see what’s available in the draft. I don’t think you ever go into May knowing specifically where your team-building is going to be.”
    The other part of the picture is figuring out how to use that $9.2 midlevel exception. Do the Spurs go after one or two players with that money? And if it’s one, they need to make sure it’s an impact role player, as that type of deal is a decent amount.
    With the exception, a 5 percent increase of the base salary of the first year will hit every season for the term of the deal. So if the Spurs signed a player using the MLE to a three-year contract with a starting salary of $7 million, that deal increases 5 percent for the term of the contact only via the salary of the first year. Hence, a player would see a roughly $350,000 raise (5 percent of $7 million) in the final two seasons of the deal.
    Now, what player is worth most or all of the midlevel money?
    “You’ve got to see what happens in the draft first,” Buford said. “Are there any trades that come about? There are so many questions that you don’t know the answer to until (the time comes). Who are the available players? How do you maximize that tool (free agency)?”
    There are rumblings around the league that the Spurs are telling some agents they aren’t seeking guards in free agency but wings and big men. Keep an eye on Charlotte’s Frank Kaminsky. The Hornets have to decide if they will use Kaminsky’s roughly $4.4 million qualifying offer to make him a restricted free agent.
    If they do, the Spurs, like almost every other NBA team, will be out, and unless Kaminsky brings the Hornets another offer, he stays. But if the team passes, Kaminsky becomes an unrestricted free agent.
    Former Spurs assistant coach James Borrego, now the head coach of the Hornets, didn’t use Kaminsky much at the beginning of the season, but in the last 21 games, he averaged 12.8 points and 4.8 rebounds off the bench. But what is intriguing about the 7-foot University of Wisconsin product: He shot 36.6 percent from 3, with one his best outings coming against — who else? — the Spurs.
    Kaminsky went 4-of-8 from beyond the arc, 15 points and 10 rebounds in that March 16 win over the Spurs.
    He is a big who can shoot the 3-pointer. The Spurs need that type of player. If the Hornets do make Kaminsky a restricted free agent and the Spurs like him that much, maybe a deal could be made via trade. The Hornets have until the end of next month to decide on Kaminsky.
    Trevor Ariza is also a name the Spurs were linked to last season when he became available. Perhaps Jeff Green would be a target for another veteran’s minimum deal, this time with San Antonio and not Washington. Jared Dudley has always been one of the most respect vets around the league. Could he fit with the Spurs?
    There are all questions the front office is in the process of answering, but as Buford said, the first step in revising this painting comes through the draft.
    Other contract dates

Unlike last season, the Spurs don’t have any option dates on the main roster. But they will have to decide on Ben Moore, whom they signed to a two-way deal back in November. The Spurs like Moore a lot and want to continue developing him in the G League.
    If they are to keep him around, they will need to submit Moore his version of a qualifying offer, which would be roughly $75,000 to retain his rights. Seems like a low price for a player who is gaining traction around the NBA as someone who could land on a roster in the next year or so.
    But as we wait to see how the draft unfolds, know that the Spurs are busy planning for the completion of their 2019-20 painting. This isn’t a start-from-scratch project, as some teams will have to consider, but more adding additional layers and finding the right colors to complement what is already on their canvas and hoping this piece of artwork will be enough to win the ultimate prize.
    “The intent is not walking in and making changes to that,” Buford said when asked about the Spurs’ history of continuity over significant roster change. “You go into the offseason trying to make the best team that you can. Would you like to compete for a championship? Yeah.”
    But as the Spurs have found over the past two years, sometimes it’s just not a pretty picture. Over the next few months, we’ll see if they can change that with the offseason tools they have.

Thread Information