Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo when I got my new macbook pro, that weighed half as much as my old one. it's about 50 lightyears better than the ipad air 2 and any other tablet on the market. plus, this thing won't be obsolete in a few hours like all the other tablets.

and it won't bend

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ehh I think we are just finding out that people don't really want to buy tablets yearly or even every other year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ehh I think we are just finding out that people don't really want to buy tablets yearly or even every other year.
    That'sa factor

But + 42% in 2013 and +7% in 2014

Thats a big drop off tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That'sa factor

But + 42% in 2013 and +7% in 2014

Thats a big drop off tbh
    true, market is probably way oversaturated with cheap android as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    true, market is probably way oversaturated with cheap android as well.
    Good point tbh

If it wasnt for watching movies in bed (TV is in the living room and Ive been lazy as lately),I'm not sure I would have used my N7 lately.

I naturally reach for my S4 more often

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    My tablet has always been my last thing to reach for. I only use it to read books and watch movies when I travel.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I use my iPad mini all the time, but I am done with the mini if they want it to be second class as far as SoC. Can't read books on it tbh, prefer my Kindle Paperwhite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My tablet has always been my last thing to reach for. I only use it to read books and watch movies when I travel.
    yup

Last time I went to Toronto, it was a last minute thing, all flights were booked, so I took the train ( Viarail)

Good thing I transferred some good movies I hadn't watched before on the N7

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As mentioned before, consumers have demanded that phones become bigger to allow for more media consumption.

This has naturally pushed out the 7-inch tablet from its old role.

Bigger tablets are also now experiencing a change, as consumers want these to be productivity devices as well. And why would you want to replace a productivity device every year?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    As mentioned before, consumers have demanded that phones become bigger to allow for more media consumption.

This has naturally pushed out the 7-inch tablet from its old role.

Bigger tablets are also now experiencing a change, as consumers want these to be productivity devices as well. And why would you want to replace a productivity device every year?
    And this is why Apple will end up killing the iPad mini in 5 years maximum.

Mac Pro - Studios and power-intensive users
    iMac - Power-intensive users, companies and offices of executives
    Macbook Pro - Your business professionals and executives on the go
    Macbook Air - Students and academics
    Mac Mini - for cheapskates who want the Apple Experience
    iPad Air - for better media consumption, traveling companion and all that bull
    iPhone - Well, self explanatory

This will leave the iPad Mini with no niche market.
    Last edited by Venti Quattro; 11-29-2014 at 02:14 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, going into the small tablet market might be one of Apple's bigger missteps recently. It kinda goes hand in hand with their being slow to recognize consumer demand for larger phones.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, going into the small tablet market might be one of Apple's bigger missteps recently. It kinda goes hand in hand with their being slow to recognize consumer demand for larger phones.
    Alpha can always say Jobs was right all along, tbh

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would buy an Asus Transformer type Apple in a second. The Transformer itself is cool but a little light on memory and Windows 8 is still clunky on tablets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said some years ago here that the tablet is a fad. I still feel that way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a fad. Just oversaturated due to being an extremely successful market. Laptops are not a market the tablets were set to replace in the first place anyways, and until battery technology really improves, they're not going to be taking over the tablet market.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Tablets are awesome. Convenient and cheaper than laptops.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Laptops > tablets all day, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two different things, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are two different things, and most consumers cannot afford both. Many will chose or the other and that choice is largely based on usage rate. Price be damned, the notebook, especially the high end onces like the Macbook pro and higher end gaming laptops kick the out of tablets, but I have both. I find uses for each, but if I could only have one given what they currently can do, I'd have to stick with the laptop. I'm sure most here would. I don't see tablets as much more than gaming devices for flights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The market will dictate what consumers can afford and what value they give to it... what we know as the "tablet" market is relatively young (4 years old, going to 5). But it's been a pretty strong and healthy market. Time will tell if it remains as a mainstream consumer product or ends up being a niche.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The market will dictate what consumers can afford and what value they give to it... what we know as the "tablet" market is relatively young (4 years old, going to 5). But it's been a pretty strong and healthy market. Time will tell if it remains as a mainstream consumer product or ends up being a niche.
    Unless it matches the productivity and power of the average laptop, it will always be a niche market for me. The target of tablets are people who want to do tasks and other media without the bulk of the laptop. Well generally that's A LOT of people but still

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless it matches the productivity and power of the average laptop, it will always be a niche market for me. The target of tablets are people who want to do tasks and other media without the bulk of the laptop. Well generally that's A LOT of people but still
    But that's the whole point... right now, whoever is buying a tablet thinking they're going to replace the power or productivity of a laptop are either extremely misinformed or deluding themselves. I can see where those people would be disappointed with a tablet.

At the same time, I don't think the majority of tablet users are that people. There were a lot of menial tasks you used to need an overpowered laptop for that you can easily do with a tablet (movies, email, light web browsing, etc). I think that's a market the tablets have filled pretty well, and I don't think it's a market that's going away either until laptops can manage battery life a lot better than they do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of my best friends is a network admin and he works remotely all the time just using 2x client with his iPad 2. Works great for him, doesn't need to carry a laptop around. Really enjoys nuking NCAA Tourney streams while watching himself.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    It's weird, but there's almost nothing I prefer doing on my tablet, expect reading books. Even surfing I don't particularly like. Having to pay my credit card or to bank or to check my paystubs, taxes, insurance, etc. is more preferable on my laptop (from 2009).

Thread Information