Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never thought you'd drink that Sucker-Aid, Nono. Disappointing tbh.
    You know I’m fed up with the old man, but let’s stop pretending anything is owed to Lonnie. I mean, I wish Fathead would’ve gotten this kind of tough love.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop calling him out shows he sees the potential. Man did he love yelling at Danny Green.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing that does feel harsh is that Pop called him out publicly and explicitly. A lot can be said to him privately and I hope it was said. But calling it out publicly when he's basically a rook is rough. In the past, he would be asked about youngings who had barely played and Pop would dismiss or deflect the question saying: "he's played a minute and half, give him more time and I can tell you what I think of him" or he'd say he's earning his time, or going through the process or something. Pop was really upset with Walker, which does say he expects more out of him, and also makes me wonder if Walker will be in the team for the long haul. His contract is very early, but I think there's perhaps a sign that he needs to turn things around in order to play or will find himself like Nando de Colo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop calling him out shows he sees the potential. Man did he love yelling at Danny Green.
    ja ja, that avatar is smoking for the trolling brigade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Queue the "SHUT THE F UP" from Pop to Danny in the brooklyn game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray got the keys in his second year ... Tony was a starter very early in his career ... Kawhi started within half of a season ... not comparable to what Lonnie is going through. And why? perhaps he is neither Murray, Tony or Kawhi like ... i.e. good
    Um, yeah. He's still too raw and unaware of his reads/assignments to see court time. Those guys had holes in their game but provide more (on either end) than Lonnie can currently. His time will come and I'm hoping it clicks at some point this season.

The Spurs need an extra injection of youth and athleticism that Walker IV could proved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, hopefully not playing tonight will have given Walker time to reflect and get over himself, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't buy the motivational/psychological nonsense because he generally doesn't negatively single out individuals. This felt like a shot across the bow, either from a player and/or representative, who's been complaining about role.

If it was, this organization is even more screwed than anyone with a brain realized they were a while ago.

Walker isn't some generational prospect. Maybe he's just the next LaVine or a lesser version thereof, but he's the one possibility of an offensive centerpiece out of all the building blocks and given their determination to avoid rebuilding, it'll be difficult to do better with where they're likely to pick in the next few years. They can't afford to throw him in the garbage before they find out what they even have, so that some senile egomaniac can pretend this is the old days.

After not getting a turn on S bag, I'm also becoming more convinced that something is up with Carroll.
    Do you need someone to buy you a tinfoil hat or do you have one at home already?

You claim to not want to see it as a motivational tactic then proceed to psychoanalyze the inner workings of the team.....

Maybe, like Doc Rivers and Jerome Robinson, he doesn't think Walker IV is ready and is trying to push so he can be? If Marco's ty play continues the team will need him very, very soon....

And with Murray sitting Carrol is seeing meaningful minutes tonight, so there is that......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop, when he decides to give Lonnie some time:

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Better awareness" thats all you need to know. Pop is right, Lonnie doesn't know what team bball is, on both ends especially defense. Pop probably doesn't like him at all defensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Better awareness" thats all you need to know. Pop is right, Lonnie doesn't know what team bball is, on both ends especially defense. Pop probably doesn't like him at all defensively.
    That's fine. Trade him then tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's fine. Trade him then tbh.
    So instead of earning it, just give him away? For what? Hey you want out 12-14th guy who I just called out? Obviously they are a bigger plan for him and trying to light the fire. There is a reason he is not on the court contrary to all the NBA coaches in here's wishes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To say that Lonnie Walker lacks killer instinct would be an understatement.

That's what Pop is looking for and he's not seeing it.

And for the millionth time, Walker bounds around the court aimlessly like an exuberant puppy.

Pop is trying to figure out whether Walker just lacks basketball sense (somewhat fixable) or whether he lacks heart and/or guts (that would be terminal).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good at ude and body language from Lonnie on the bench during the Warriors game. He had two minutes on the hardwood and he did everything well.

I bet Walker will be given the chance of playing Lebron James on Sunday. Same situation: "Go out there and show what you got defending an MVP caliber player." That would complete the lesson so him and Popovich can move on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's just classic Pop. Young guys can get minutes if they hang their hat on defense. Offensive potential doesn't play a role. I think that's to prevent players from just competing on offensive posessions and becoming a black hole on defense. You know like Spurs fans most hated Milinelli. Pop obviously sees that Walker has the potential to be an elite defender, so until he proves that on the court he won't get playing time. What we are all waiting on is Walker showing what he can do on offense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you need someone to buy you a tinfoil hat or do you have one at home already?

You claim to not want to see it as a motivational tactic then proceed to psychoanalyze the inner workings of the team.....

Maybe, like Doc Rivers and Jerome Robinson, he doesn't think Walker IV is ready and is trying to push so he can be? If Marco's ty play continues the team will need him very, very soon....

And with Murray sitting Carrol is seeing meaningful minutes tonight, so there is that......
    One didn't have to do with the other.

Who cares what he thinks? He might still lord over this cocoon he's cultivated, but in the grand scheme of things, he doesn't matter. The best players run this league and though Walker is far from one and could easily never become one, it's at least conceivable he could. Given what just happened and all the other factors working against them to retain/acquire them, they can't afford to exacerbate it by pretending this is the good old days.

I have no problem with him having a one-on-one conversation and telling him that, but to do it publicly is completely tone deaf to this generation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has Walker done any interviews since Pop's comment?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Who cares what he thinks? He might still lord over this cocoon he's cultivated, but in the grand scheme of things, he doesn't matter. The best players run this league and though Walker is far from one and could easily never become one, it's at least conceivable he could. Given what just happened and all the other factors working against them to retain/acquire them, they can't afford to exacerbate it by pretending this is the good old days.

I have no problem with him having a one-on-one conversation and telling him that, but to do it publicly is completely tone deaf to this generation.
    The thing is, you don’t know that didn’t happen already. The whole thing with him not playing the first three games could be tied into this. He may be dogging it in practice.

I’m also tired of hearing about “this generation”, as if it were the one that invented self centered ness. That happened in 1985, with the drafting of MJ. The Spurs are well acquainted the selfish, immature players, and they don’t draft them, or acquire them. Every draftee and potential draftee takes a psychological battery before they’re even interviewed.
    Last edited by exstatic; 11-02-2019 at 07:32 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Screw this generation bull . If Walker is such a delicate flower if panties get in a wad when he gets called out publicly for playing ty he’s not going to make it in the NBA. Maybe it’ll make him actually sack up and cover his man.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is, you don’t know that didn’t happen already. The whole thing with him not playing the first three games could be tied into this. He may be dogging it in practice.
    The thing is, I clearly meant only in private.

Malone called out the Nuggets the other day (Jokic was clearly the prime target), then today said Jokic needs to take 15+ shots. The response? 8 minutes in vs the Magic, 1 foul is the only stat he's registered in the box score and they're down 9.

It sucks, but the reality is, the days of old school tactics flying are over and thinking they're going to luck into the next Duncan is a pipedream. If they have any interest in having superstars/stars here in the future, they need to get with the times.

Screw this generation bull . If Walker is such a delicate flower if panties get in a wad when he gets called out publicly for playing ty he’s not going to make it in the NBA. Maybe it’ll make him actually sack up and cover his man.

That sounds nice, but talking tough doesn't change the reality of the situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is, I clearly meant only in private.

Malone called out the Nuggets the other day (Jokic was clearly the prime target), then today said Jokic needs to take 15+ shots. The response? 8 minutes in vs the Magic, 1 foul is the only stat he's registered in the box score and they're down 9.

It sucks, but the reality is, the days of old school tactics flying are over and thinking they're going to luck into the next Duncan is a pipedream. If they have any interest in having superstars/stars here in the future, they need to get with the times.

That sounds nice, but talking tough doesn't change the reality of the situation.
    The reality is that if Pop doesn’t hold him accountable for playing ty lackadaisical defense he’ll spend an entire career playing that way. Lord knows there’s enough of those players in the league. Pretty sure Pop has brought this up to Walker several times before. Now he’s trying a different tack trying to see if the guy can take it seriously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD 21 The King of the Wristcutters

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reality is that if Pop doesn’t hold him accountable for playing ty lackadaisical defense he’ll spend an entire career playing that way. Lord knows there’s enough of those players in the league. Pretty sure Pop has brought this up to Walker several times before. Now he’s trying a different tack trying to see if the guy can take it seriously.
    exactly

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie and I are left asking the same question however. What's Marco doing out there? Surely setting by example is the best way.

Would pop even remember there's a double standard going on.

Thread Information