20-18

29-28

Well, 2-2

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count
    Well it

I though Frankie won last 3 rounds out of question

Post Count
    Main event was good. Frankie fought his ass off like always.. I think at the end of the day you are asking an awful lot of the judges to score the fight for you when you are busted up badly and did ZERO damage to your opponent. That seems to be the theme with Frankie these days.. The judges are not giving him the points even though he is outworking his man. They want some damage and he can't inflict any. Aldo was literally smirking at Edgar like "Seriously dude that is your best shot".. I had 2-2 after 4 rounds and the 5th was close. The decision kind of is what it is..

Post Count

Post Count
    Jose Aldo Denies Frankie Edgar’s le Bid, Retains Featherweight Crown at UFC 146

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Jos...-UFC-146-49699

Jose Aldo withstood the most significant test of his featherweight le reign, and it came as a surprise to no one that it was Frankie Edgar who administered it.

Buoyed by his trademark Louisville Slugger low kicks, a stringing right jab and a flair for the spectacular, Aldo (22-1, 4-0 UFC) retained his 145-pound championship with a unanimous decision over Edgar in the UFC 156 headliner on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

All three judges gave Aldo the nod: 49-46, 49-46 and 48-47. The 26-year-old Brazilian has won 15 fights in a row, cementing his place as one of the sport’s pound-for-pound greats.

“It was a very difficult fight,” Aldo said. “Frankie is a great fighter. I knew I had to walk step by step, round by round to get the victory.”

Aldo sprang out of the gate like a thoroughbred, punishing “The Answer” with his jab and low kicks. Rounds one and two clearly went the champion’s way, as he utilized his dizzying combination of technique, power and speed to keep the indomitable Edgar (15-4-1, 9-4-1 UFC) at bay.

By the middle of round three, however, Aldo had slowed and the momentum had begun to shift ever so subtly. Edgar kept pushing his frenetic pace and started to find a home for his punches, his attack spearheaded by his right hand. A lightning-quick front kick to the face from Aldo may have been all that kept him from surrendering the round, as Edgar forced him to abandon his focus on the legs for fear of being taken down.

“He knew that I was going to continue my kicking and try to take me down,” Aldo said, “so I stopped my kicking and concentrated on punches.”

Edgar turned up the heat over the final 10 minutes, hoisting and slamming Aldo to the canvas in the fourth round and supplying more multi-punch fire in the fifth. Aldo answered in the waning seconds, as he sprang off the cage -- a la Anthony Pettis -- and cracked his challenger with a beautiful Superman punch.

“It was a close fight. I keep finding myself in these situations,” said Edgar, who has lost his last three fights by decision. “Congrats to Jose. He fought a great fight. I did [think I did enough to win], but it doesn’t matter. Jose is the winner. I’m just going to go home and take some time.”

‘Minotoro’ Nogueira Upsets Evans

In the light heavyweight co-main event, Rashad Evans made the mistake of playing Antonio Rogerio Nogueira’s game and wound up on the wrong side of a unanimous decision as a result. All three judges arrived at the same verdict: 29-28 for Nogueira (21-5, 4-2 UFC).

The 36-year-old Brazilian kept Evans (17-3-1, 12-3-1 UFC) on the end of his stiff right jab and stout left cross for much of the rather uneventful 15-minute confrontation. Evans secured his only takedown late in the first round, allowing Nogueira to settle into a rhythm on the feet. Neither man landed much of consequence on the feet, but Nogueira struck with more volume, accuracy and authority in the second and third rounds, helping him carry the scorecards.

Evans has lost back-to-back fights for the first time as a professional.

‘Bigfoot’ Silva Upsets Overeem

Silva silenced Overeem with punches.Antonio Silva turned Alistair Overeem’s hubris against him, as he shocked the former Strikeforce and Dream champion with a third-round knockout in a heavyweight showcase. Silva (18-4, 2-1) brought it to a dramatic close 25 seconds into round three.

An overconfident Overeem toyed with “Bigfoot” for much of the first 10 minutes, smirking as he battered his body with knees from the clinch in the first round and ripped into him with ground-and-pound in the second. However, his inability to put away the gigantic Brazilian came back to haunt him.

Silva tagged the Dutchman with a right cross to the side of the head during their initial third-round exchange and then poured on the punishment. More than 10 blows, including two sadistic right uppercuts, found their mark before Overeem slumped to the mat, buried by a hailstorm of punches and beaten for the first time in more than five years.

“[You] win the fight in the cage, not outside,” Silva said. “He talked a lot of s--- outside. I believe in myself. I believe in my coaches and the guys who help me. I’m so happy. He didn’t expect too much. I told him at the press conference, ‘Hey, I will make you respect me, brother.’ I worked a lot of right hands and uppercuts. I’m ready for anyone. I respect all heavyweights, but I’m ready.”

Maia Outgrapples Fitch, Stays Unbeaten as Welterweight

Decorated Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Demian Maia overwhelmed perennial welterweight contender Jon Fitch with superior grappling, as he took a one-sided unanimous decision from the American Kickboxing Academy standout in a featured welterweight bout. Maia (18-4, 12-4 UFC) swept the scorecards by identical 30-27 marks.

Fitch (24-5-1, 14-3-1 UFC) generated almost no offense. Maia delivered takedowns in all three rounds and kept the 34-year-old Fort Wayne, Ind., native either pinned on the cage or grounded hopelessly on the mat. To his credit, Fitch defended the Brazilian’s persistent submission advances, but he was woefully outgunned in the grappling department against the 2007 Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships gold medalist.

Maia is a perfect 3-0 since moving to 170 pounds.

Benavidez Outpoints ‘Uncle Creepy’

Team Alpha Male’s Joseph Benavidez posted his fifth win in six appearances, as he captured a unanimous decision from Ian McCall in a flyweight showcase. All three cageside judges scored it the same: 30-27 for Benavidez (17-3, 4-1 UFC).

Benavidez landed with more volume and authority, wobbling “Uncle Creepy” with a crisp left hook in the first round and a clubbing right in the third. McCall (11-4-1, 0-2-1 UFC) answered in round two, where he capitalized on a failed takedown attempt from his opponent, moved briefly to mount and tagged Benavidez with some effective ground-and-pound. Still, it was not enough of a statement to turn the tide permanently in McCall’s favor.

“My last fight was close, and Ian was just as tough,” said Benavidez, who rebounded from his September decision loss to flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson. “It was an awesome fight. I think it went great. I think the judges got it right, which is awesome. I’m never satisfied. If I’m going for another le shot, I’d like to be even better [than I was] in this one.”

Thank God I'm a country boy! djohn14's Avatar
    Post Count
    I didnt get to watch the fight...I know Frankies a warrior, but at some point you gotta finish. There was the two close fights to Benson and now this. I feel for the guy, but it is what it is...you gotta finish, especially when you just control your opponent and dont actually do damage to him.

Apparently Pettis just text Dana and said he wants to move to 145 and face Aldo

Post Count
    I didnt get to watch the fight...I know Frankies a warrior, but at some point you gotta finish. There was the two close rounds to Benson and now this. I feel for the guy, but it is what it is...you gotta finish, especially when you just control your opponent and dont actually do damage to him.
    Well said.. If it's going to be a decision it needs to be very clear like GSP does.. Nobody ever says GSP did not deserve any decision because he dominates almost all rounds in all areas.. Frankie fights in spurts and makes it hard to score but rarely clear..

Post Count
    Apparently Pettis just text Dana and said he wants to move to 145 and face Aldo
    WTF?????

Post Count
    Nice.. Thanks for posting that.. Reem got clowned and he deserved it..

Thank God I'm a country boy! djohn14's Avatar
    Post Count
    Pettis/Aldo would be fun as ! Crazy he dosent want Benson though. And wow Silva unloaded on Overeem

Damn Overies got knocked the out.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count
    Hey RU not watchin pressers after events?

Watching Fitch got Fitched I was telling him: man you learned nothing from BJ fight? Such a gr8 wrestler and his wrestling D sucked.

As for Reem - I always thought he was overrated when most guys were mentioning him as the best. His Werdum fight was bad his Brock fight was strange as Brock was afraid of being hit after that Cain demolition. Lesnar never took that wrestling charge and rush for the takedown. Ali is not the fastest guy and he is not moving good for mma. Lets all us remind his K-1 fights was all about power as he was hiding behind that double guard and waiting for the opening to outpower his opponent.
    It was fun to watch him KOed. His su ious jaw and bad cardio are big issues along with him being bit out of shape. He let off roids a bit we might assume so probably his motivation to train is not as high.

Anyway JDS va Reems seems like a good matchup.
    Cain vs Big Foot is not what I want to see though.

btw. that blackzilians team is not looking good now.

Jones ed up Evans mind IMO, and after that it seems like steam let Shads off.

All in all this card should be better ...
    I feel for Frankie again. But damn I really though he won those last 3 rds

Post Count

Post Count
    Hey RU not watchin pressers after events?
    I was dead tired and just went to sleep..

Watching Fitch got Fitched I was telling him: man you learned nothing from BJ fight? Such a gr8 wrestler and his wrestling D sucked.
    Fitch looks all done to me. No wrestling D or control of the fight whatsoever. Even sadder because he supposedly is also hurting for money..

As for Reem - I always thought he was overrated when most guys were mentioning him as the best. His Werdum fight was bad his Brock fight was strange as Brock was afraid of being hit after that Cain demolition. Lesnar never took that wrestling charge and rush for the takedown. Ali is not the fastest guy and he is not moving good for mma. Lets all us remind his K-1 fights was all about power as he was hiding behind that double guard and waiting for the opening to outpower his opponent.
    It was fun to watch him KOed. His su ious jaw and bad cardio are big issues along with him being bit out of shape. He let off roids a bit we might assume so probably his motivation to train is not as high.
    Reem was cheating for years and years in all those smaller shows and if you were paying attention that was not exactly a secret. Even an Overeem roided up like he was most of his career at HW, he gets his ass kicked by Cain and JDS. He has no cardio and his chin is ..

btw. that blackzilians team is not looking good now.

Jones ed up Evans mind IMO, and after that it seems like steam let Shads off.
    I was questioning Evans mind after the Jones fight, that was back in April and he took so much time off. He also admitted just this past week that he considered retirement after the Jones fight. Losing that fight to Jones at his age really ed him up and it looks to be all downhill from here for Rashad now..

Post Count
    Matches to Make After UFC 156

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...-UFC-156-49705

Not even Frankie Edgar could answer the Jose Aldo riddle.

Edgar drew the featherweight champion into the deepest waters to no avail, as he lost a unanimous decision to Aldo in the UFC 156 main event on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. All three Nevada Athletic Commission judges -- Adelaide Byrd, Jeff Collins and Junichiro Kamijo -- ruled in the Brazilian’s favor, casting 49-46, 48-47 and 49-46 nods in his direction.

Aldo was measured in spots, utterly spectacular in others. His leg kicks and jab were his most effective weapons as he posted his 15th consecutive victory. However, the triumph was not without its trials. Aldo, who has made no secret about his difficultly in cutting to the 145-pound limit, slowed noticeably in the late rounds and allowed Edgar to re-establish himself in the fight.

Edgar enjoyed his greatest success in the fourth round, where he hoisted and slammed the Brazilian and found a home for his punching combinations. Undeterred, Aldo responded with more jabs, right crosses and the most dynamic strike of the match: a springing Superman punch off the cage in the waning moments of round five.

Aldo has no shortage of potential suitors -- even top lightweight contender Anthony Pettis threw his name into the hat following UFC 156 -- but Ricardo Lamas appears to be next in line. The rugged Chicago-based featherweight brutalized Roufusport prospect Erik Koch with a violent volley of ground-and-pound elbows at UFC on Fox 6 on Jan. 26. Lamas has won all four of his bouts since joining the Ultimate Fighting Championship as part of the World Extreme Cagefighting merger, finishing three of them.

In the wake of UFC 156 “Aldo vs. Edgar,” here are seven other matchups that ought to be made:

Frankie Edgar vs. Cub Swanson- Dustin Poirier loser: Edgar has dropped three difficult-to-stomach decisions in succession, but remains entrenched as one of the Top 10 pound-for-pound mixed martial artists. According to FightMetric figures, “The Answer” actually outlanded Aldo in terms of total strikes and significant strikes in rounds three, four and five. However, the considerable damage the champion inflicted seemed to carry far more weight on the scorecards. Statistics aside, Edgar provides an instant boost to the featherweight division and becomes a difficult proposition for anyone at 145 pounds. Swanson and Poirier will throw leather at UFC on Fuel TV 7 on Feb. 16 in London.

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Mauricio Rua:

Nogueira notched arguably the most significant win of his 12-year career, as he outpointed former light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans in the co-headliner. Crisp boxing and stellar takedown defense carried the Pride Fighting Championships veteran in his first Octagon appearance in more than a year. Rua defeated Nogueira in one of the more memorable encounters in Pride history back in 2005, but finds himself in no man’s land at 205 pounds, having lost a unanimous decision to surging Swede Alexander Gustafsson in December.

Rashad Evans vs. Dan Henderson-Lyoto Machida loser: Evans’ stock took a significant hit in his loss to Nogueira. He entered the cage as a strong favorite, elected to box with a superior boxer and walked out saddled by a second consecutive defeat. Evans turns 34 in September and one has to at least consider whether or not the former champion has made the turn towards the backside of his career. Henderson will lock horns with Machida in the UFC 157 co-main event on Feb. 23.

Antonio Silva vs. Josh Barnett: Silva made one-time Strikeforce and Dream champion Alistair Overeem pay an embarrassing price for his overconfidence in their heavyweight showcase, as he handed the Dutchman his first defeat in more than five years. “Bigfoot” went berserk early in the third round, burying Overeem under an avalanche of power punches en route to shocking knockout. Silva and Barnett have traded their share of verbal barbs over the years. Perhaps the time has come to let them settle their differences with their fists.

Alistair Overeem vs. Daniel Cormier-Frank Mir loser: With two rounds in the bank, Overeem flipped the autopilot switch and sank under the weight of “Bigfoot” Silva’s heavy hands. The defeat, his first since September 2007, cost Overeem a shot at UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez, along with a massive payday. Instead, the Dutchman returns to a pool of contenders that includes Cormier and Mir. Those two will iron out their differences at UFC on Fox 7 on April 20 in San Jose, Calif.

Demian Maia vs. Rory MacDonald-Carlos Condit winner: It was far from pleasing to the eye, but it was effective. A gold medalist at the 2007 Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships, Maia put his grappling expertise to use against grizzled American Kickboxing Academy veteran Jon Fitch. Unable to tie down the submission, Maia instead grounded, nullified and smothered the onetime welterweight le contender, improving to 3-0 at 170 pounds. MacDonald and Condit will toe the line against one another for the second time at UFC 158 next month.

Joseph Benavidez vs. Demetrious Johnson: Benavidez survived a second-round scare to outpoint Ian McCall in a pivotal battle between two Top 5 flyweights. The Team Alpha Male standout landed with more volume and authority, wobbling “Uncle Creepy” with a crisp left hook in the first round and a clubbing right in the third. Was it enough to earn him a rematch with “Mighty Mouse” Johnson, who retained his flyweight championship with a unanimous decision over John Dodson at UFC on Fox 6? Time will tell.

Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar - seems like we all agree this is a close one, and I have a feeling it's going to be another decision that could've gone either way...
    It's just his style of fighting - he can't finish or be finished.

Question, are we going to get an immediate re-match like Edgar and Henderson?

Post Count

Post Count
    I would like to see Frankie fight Faber, and give showtime the le fight vs Aldo.

Post Count
    Cro Cop on Overeem's loss

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://www.fightsite.hr/ufc/cro-cop-...t-in-his-place

"I wasn't surprised by Silva's victory at all and I had believed he would win. I don't want to come off as a smart-ass or say I knew it all along, so I'll explain why I'd believed so. First, Silva is a big tough guy with a huge heart who had demolished Fedor and he needs no better reference than that, and Alistair hugely underestimated him and belittled him with his arrogant statements, so this mobilized Silva in the best possible way. Second, Silva is a natural heavyweight, and Alistair - for the first time since way back in 2007, when he began to gain huge weight – fought without the drugs he had used constantly for years, including testosterone and all the other that goes with it."

"Watching the weigh-in, I saw that his muscles mass was nowhere near his usual, he had the weight, but he wasn't nearly as carved out and defined, since he couldn't take anything because he was watched by the Athletic Commission. This also reflects on the psyche of a man who's been using stuff to increase his strength, endurance, pain tolerance and aggressiveness for years, and now there was none of that. Alistair is an excellent fighter, but he still owes that excellence to something that's dirty and unpermitted, and, in the end, very dangerous to health."

"I don’t think he was concerned by that, he wanted success at any cost. And the third thing is, Alistair had behaved so arrogantly that someone needed to put him back in his place. His belittling of Silva was repulsive, saying that after beating up Silva he'd go for the belt, and at the weigh-in and entering the arena he acted like he invented the fighting sport, and he's been behaving with so much arrogance lately that I'm glad Silva put him back in his place and taught him a lesson! Congratulations Silva, from the heart!"

Thread Information