Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Public costs, privatized profits is the name of the game for small market sports teams. medium market teams too.
    Field of Schemes – sports stadium news and analysis
    This website nails it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still a really nice post by Holt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't mind funding a new arena if they put it somewhere that makes sense and not a ing industrial area in the god damn ghetto
    If they can rationalize putting it on the Eastside then as far as I'm concerned, anywhere is fair game.

Saying that, I can't think of a good place to put a new arena. Obviously downtown but where downtown? Land is very limited.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A class commitment from ownership. As for arenas, they should have never torn down Hemisfair Arena. It was the best for Spurs games, they didnt care if you moved down after the 1st quarter, food was cheap and after the game you were right on the Riverwalk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What everyone with a brain knew

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only big risk is if a buyer buys out the ownership group and that buyer has power to move the team . Over time the disagreement. Between the city and team could increase the odds of the ownership selling out. The baby holt's are tooweak to rock the boat at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wondering if I was the only one that intially read downtown honkers as downtown hookers as one of the primary reasons the team was staying put?!
    Haha bro bro.

As touching as that was I still read hookers and was like wait what??

In other news I read SSE is partnering with www.backpage.com

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only big risk is if a buyer buys out the ownership group and that buyer has power to move the team . Over time the disagreement. Between the city and team could increase the odds of the ownership selling out. The baby holt's are tooweak to rock the boat at this point.
    Between the Holts and DRob they own >50%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Money talks and bull walks.. the Austin is a dress rehearsal. OKC got their dress rehearsal due to Katrina and look what happened..

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a good statement and all things being equal the majority of ownership probably wants the team to remain in SA -- that's why most of them bought in. People can talk about Austin but the potential there for the subsidies team owners usually get is stunningly low judging from the recent MLS deal. A bigger threat would be someplace out of state but that would almost necessitate the sale of the team. It just seems like things will eventually work out to keep the Spurs in town -- the cost of which is yet to be determined.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A class commitment from ownership. As for arenas, they should have never torn down Hemisfair Arena. It was the best for Spurs games, they didnt care if you moved down after the 1st quarter, food was cheap and after the game you were right on the Riverwalk.
    Hemisfair was nice in the lower level as long as you weren't behind a column, but the upper deck had horrible sightlines, players looked like bugs since you were looking down from on top of them. Also first thing I noticed when they moved to the Dome was you didn't have to wait 15 minutes in line to go take a piss like you did at Hemisfair. Location was amazing though, right across the street from the Marriott. Got to walk a block or so talking to Manute Bol after a game against the Warriors one time when I guess he just wanted to get out and take a walk from the hotel after the game. Would never have that happen at AT&T Center lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wondering if I was the only one that intially read downtown honkers as downtown hookers as one of the primary reasons the team was staying put?!
    Haha bro bro.

As touching as that was I still read hookers and was like wait what??

In other news I read SSE is partnering with www.backpage.com

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were a taxpayer, I'd rather my money go to a sports arena than to some Amazon Distribution Center or Tesla Factory in the name of "job creation" (this is bull . It's just corporate welfare to those who don't need it). At least the sports team provides entertainment and joy for some people instead of more spaceships for Bezos and Musk.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were a taxpayer, I'd rather my money go to a sports arena than to some Amazon Distribution Center or Tesla Factory in the name of "job creation" (this is bull . It's just corporate welfare to those who don't need it). At least the sports team provides entertainment and joy for some people instead of more spaceships for Bezos and Musk.
    I'd rather it went to useful things like pre-school or public transportation, but yeah gun to my head I'd say give Holt money instead of Bezos.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They will move. The fact he is addressing it is enough to say there is a consideration in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are a business and will stay in San Antonio as long as said business remains profitable.

The Minneapolis Lakers had three les to their credit when they relocated to LA...the last one within 6 years of their move. A team's history doesn't really mean much if they're hemorrhaging money.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are a business and will stay in San Antonio as long as said business remains profitable.

The Minneapolis Lakers had three les to their credit when they relocated to LA...the last one within 6 years of their move. A team's history doesn't really mean much if they're hemorrhaging money.
    Exactly, if the fans don't support years of rebuilding and years of losing seasons they will move regardless what Holt is saying now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They moved to a metro area that was rapidly growing and already five times the size of Minneapolis
    Let's not even discuss weather.
    I don't see a move to Austin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How are the honkers in SA though? Asking for a friend.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They will move. The fact he is addressing it is enough to say there is a consideration in the future.
    You've never said a positive thing about this team in 20 years tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't mind funding a new arena if they put it somewhere that makes sense and not a ing industrial area in the god damn ghetto
    Land is cheaper….. I grew up over there and can be rough. I love San Antonio….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they can rationalize putting it on the Eastside then as far as I'm concerned, anywhere is fair game.

Saying that, I can't think of a good place to put a new arena. Obviously downtown but where downtown? Land is very limited.
    Eastside of downtown is slowly developing. Lots of possibilities near the stadium.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the Southside developing, it would be ironic to put it there and sell the naming rights to Barnes & Noble.

Only puro San Antonians will get this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the only scenario where i can see the team moving. The Holts while wealthy are not uber wealthy and with the current valuation of the franchise it could become very tempting to sell- especially if their core business starts falling off.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eastside of downtown is slowly developing. Lots of possibilities near the stadium.
    It’s a disaster or at least a controversy no matter what they do, but tearing down the Alamodome and starting over in that location (that’s already been cleared of houses) is my best guess of what to do, as it would at least stimulate the downtown economy. No matter what there will be a wake of empty arenas; tearing down the Alamodome at least leaves one less reminder of bad choices and unsavory eminent domain.

Thread Information