Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    They down 70% though? I mean this is ALL TIME low for the NBA finals. Literally have to back to the 70s for these types of ratings. Yeah baseball and football and stuff are down, that is expected. But none of them are down 70 ing percent. None of them are having all time lows. None of them are even close to NBA level of losing viewers.
    When has the NBA Finals ever been played in a bubble in October with the NFL and NHL and MLB and an election cycle taking viewers away? Of course ratings are down. If they stay down when things get back to normal, that’s when people can talk .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When has the NBA Finals ever been played in a bubble in October with the NFL and NHL and MLB and an election cycle taking viewers away? Of course ratings are down. If they stay down when things get back to normal, that’s when people can talk .
    NBA ratings as far as regular season dropped by 40% and that was before Covid during the regular schedule. So yeah the nba has a problem. Networks are talking about redoing the tv contracts bc they aren’t bringing in ratings for games. Before people were saying well the ratings were good in the playoffs so that’s all that matters, but now they aren’t even good in the playoffs. Also Adam Silver said they aren’t going into the regular schedule next season so your point makes zero sense. The finals went against ONE baseball game and still drew only 5 million people. You might be in denial but Silver and the owners are freaking the out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA ratings as far as regular season dropped by 40% and that was before Covid during the regular schedule. So yeah the nba has a problem. Networks are talking about redoing the tv contracts bc they aren’t bringing in ratings for games. Before people were saying well the ratings were good in the playoffs so that’s all that matters, but now they aren’t even good in the playoffs. Also Adam Silver said they aren’t going into the regular schedule next season so your point makes zero sense. The finals went against ONE baseball game and still drew only 5 million people. You might be in denial but Silver and the owners are freaking the out
    I’m not sure why? Is it all the political bull ? That’s all I can think of. The quality of the games in the playoffs has been there for the most part. And this NBA finals is starting to get dramatic. Game five was a great game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just down historically bad. Do you realize these ratings are half of what they were way back in 2003 when the media was ting all over the San Antonio Spurs for causing low ratings. I looked it up game five of the 2003 NBA finals between the San Antonio Spurs and the New Jersey Nets was about 9.3 million viewers. Game five of this NBA final was about 5 million. That’s ing pathetic. 2014 when the Spurs closed out LeBron and the Heat Did 18 million viewers. 2013 game 7 did 26..

This is quite alarming for the league.
    Last edited by dbreiden83080; 10-10-2020 at 11:17 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I’m not sure why? Is it all the political bull ? That’s all I can think of. The quality of the games in the playoffs has been there for the most part. And this NBA finals is starting to get dramatic. Game five was a great game.
    That's most of it. People are telling Lebron and his cult following to shove it.

But it was already showing some signs of trouble prior to the pandemic. Long time fans know that these stats are inflated - and the league now has 30 teams all playing the same way which makes it less interesting.

Think back to not that long ago...we had matchups that were pretty damn intriguing, imo. I pretty much never missed a Suns vs Spurs game as it was always highly entertaining to see Nash try and finally get over the hump vs the spurs, who played an entirely different style. There's really none of that now and we don't even have any real rivalries to speak of. These guys all want to be best friends now and team up instead of form rivalries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's most of it. People are telling Lebron and his cult following to shove it.

But it was already showing some signs of trouble prior to the pandemic. Long time fans know that these stats are inflated - and the league now has 30 teams all playing the same way which makes it less interesting.

Think back to not that long ago...we had matchups that were pretty damn intriguing, imo. I pretty much never missed a Suns vs Spurs game as it was always highly entertaining to see Nash try and finally get over the hump vs the spurs, who played an entirely different style. There's really none of that now and we don't even have any real rivalries to speak of. These guys all want to be best friends now and team up instead of form rivalries.
    Those are some good thoughts.

I have long been a huge detractor of these guys teaming up to play. Wrecking the rivalries. I ing hate it. On top of that maybe everybody constantly wanting to do nothing but shoot three point shots is turning off the fans. I could see it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs vs Suns, Spurs vs Lakers, Spurs vs Mavs were all great rivalries during the '00s. All of those games whether it was regular season or playoffs was must see TV. The biggest problem like you said is these stars hop around trying to form super teams or create teams that tilt the advantage in their favor ala Lebron going to the Lakers and getting Davis. You had guys like Duncan,Dirk,Kobe,Miller,Malone,Ewing,Hakeem, either stay with the team their whole entire career or for most of their career. You don't have that anymore and it greatly hurts compe ion and stops rivalries from forming. We don't have any great rivalries right now in the NBA. Maybe Nuggets-Clippers, Clippers-Mavs might turn into something the next few years but we'll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs vs Suns, Spurs vs Lakers, Spurs vs Mavs were all great rivalries during the '00s. All of those games whether it was regular season or playoffs was must see TV. The biggest problem like you said is these stars hop around trying to form super teams or create teams that tilt the advantage in their favor ala Lebron going to the Lakers and getting Davis. You had guys like Duncan,Dirk,Kobe,Miller,Malone,Ewing,Hakeem, either stay with the team their whole entire career or for most of their career. You don't have that anymore and it greatly hurts compe ion and stops rivalries from forming. We don't have any great rivalries right now in the NBA. Maybe Nuggets-Clippers, Clippers-Mavs might turn into something the next few years but we'll see.
    The league was far more interesting when it was basically one superstar player, and the team did their best to build around that superstar player. That’s just my opinion.

These guys were true rivals. I mean imagine Tim Duncan calling up Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal asking them about teaming up. Give me a ing break.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I have long been a huge detractor of these guys teaming up to play. Wrecking the rivalries. I ing hate it. On top of that maybe everybody constantly wanting to do nothing but shoot three point shots is turning off the fans. I could see it.
    I have hated college basketball for so many years due to them constantly chucking up tons of 3 point shots and nothing else. I never envisioned one day the NBA would become like college basketball but we are now at that place.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    A few people here have pointed out that it's the media's fault. That they essentially created this mess because they harped so much on Jordan's 6 les and perfect finals record, which forced these guys like Lebron to try and get there by whatever means necessary. So they create super teams and do what they need to do to avoid having Skip Bayless trash them for only having 1 or 2 les, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A few people here have pointed out that it's the media's fault. That they essentially created this mess because they harped so much on Jordan's 6 les and perfect finals record, which forced these guys like Lebron to try and get there by whatever means necessary. So they create super teams and do what they need to do to avoid having Skip Bayless trash them for only having 1 or 2 les, etc.
    The media is part of it. But internally if somebody is your fierce rival that’s the way it should always be. There should be nothing inside that should make you want to play with that person. You had the occasional odd team up like Dennis Rodman joining the Chicago Bulls. But other than that back in the day, it just never happened.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

I think the only logical solution to fix this mess is to move the three point line back some. Force these guys not named Curry or Durant to find points in other ways. I'd like to see some intimidating centers again and guys getting knocked on their azzes for going into the paint too often.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the only logical solution to fix this mess is to move the three point line back some. Force these guys not named Curry or Durant to find points in other ways. I'd like to see some intimidating centers again and guys getting knocked on their azzes for going into the paint too often.
    If the ratings next season continue to be down which seems likely, rule changes will be coming. That’s the way it works. All the hand checking rules went extinct because of television ratings. The fans were saying they were sick and tired of having NBA playoff games finished with the final score of 77-75. I think we are approaching new rule changes.

By the way I would be a huge fan of moving the three-point line back. Move it back like 3 feet as far as I’m concerned.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The league was far more interesting when it was basically one superstar player, and the team did their best to build around that superstar player. That’s just my opinion.

These guys were true rivals. I mean imagine Tim Duncan calling up Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal asking them about teaming up. Give me a ing break.
    Agreed. The league was better when you had superstars sticking with their teams for 12-14 years because you had stability for that franchise and it created great compe ion because you knew every year going in at least 3-4 teams were going to be great contenders. For example during the '00s you knew before the season started the Mavs,Spurs,Laker,Kings,Suns are all going to be great. None of those teams superstars wanted to play with each other. Plus all of those teams styles of play were different which made the game more fun to watch.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's deeper than that. I think guys like Lebron,Durant grew up watching Barkley,Ewing,Malone,Nash all get clowned for not winning a ring from the media and their contemporaries. Lebron and Durant saw that and didn't want to end up like those guys so they took the safest route possible to avoid it.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Definitely see some changes coming.

I do wonder if some serious and possibly irreparable damage has already been done this year, though. Not just with the political stuff on the floor but with the two LA teams, and I guess other players wanting to quit the bubble after the Kenosha incident. That MLB strike in the 90's caused many fans to desert the sport and it took a while to get them back.

If the ratings next season continue to be down which seems likely, rule changes will be coming. That’s the way it works. All the hand checking rules went extinct because of television ratings. The fans were saying they were sick and tired of having NBA playoff games finished with the final score of 77-75. I think we are approaching new rule changes.

By the way I would be a huge fan of moving the three-point line back. Move it back like 3 feet as far as I’m concerned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go HEAT even if no one watching

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

NBA is one of countless corporations to make the same mistake. Supposedly our society is bias against blacks. Then why would you make them the face of your brand.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I'm streaming a soccer match from Italy

Not a single black person in their ads. America is extremist.
    Last edited by FrostKing; 10-11-2020 at 02:55 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm streaming a soccer match from Italy

Not a single black person in their ads. America is extremist.
    Well Italy is still a fascist country so they are extremists tbh

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Well Italy is still a fascist country so they are extremists tbh
    Compared to the rest of the World, America is extremist in this regard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just down historically bad. Do you realize these ratings are half of what they were way back in 2003 when the media was ting all over the San Antonio Spurs for causing low ratings. I looked it up game five of the 2003 NBA finals between the San Antonio Spurs and the New Jersey Nets was about 9.3 million viewers. Game five of this NBA final was about 5 million. That’s ing pathetic. 2014 when the Spurs closed out LeBron and the Heat Did 18 million viewers. 2013 game 7 did 26..

This is quite alarming for the league.
    And there’s more people than 17 years ago in the USA too tbh.

I think people are tuning out because the nba hasn’t done enough to support social justice, though. It’s all meaningless slogans. I think the league would get more support if they started threatening lockouts if the injustices don’t stop tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I remember when scoring 20ppg was actually impressive tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the ratings decline is truly because half the country are racist assholes, then the NBA should view it as an acceptable loss and move forward with a new business plan that excludes those former fans, and in no way attempts to win them back.

But chances are the decline has to do with bubble fatigue, no live crowds, and James Harden breaking the game, which will require a rewrite of certain rules to prevent the gimmicky garbage offense we’re seeing every night. Changing those rules will severely hurt my own team, as Luka is the perfect weapon to play in this era, but doing things like extending the 3pt line/eliminating corner 3’s/more offensive fouls for manufacturing contact are necessary to make the game more watchable.
    In a perfect world, I'd also like to see rule changes to make the game less star-centric. Yeah, I know that's basketball's prime draw, in that it's really the only sport where stars are basically involved in every play when they're on the court (football is indeed QB centric in the same way, but QBs can't be involved on defense obviously), but the impact individual players have on the outcome is unbalanced. This results in fans either hoping they'll sign a top 5 player or get lucky in the lottery. Very rarely do we see teams that are "built" have any success. It's also difficult to build a team because basketball's talent pool is comparatively shallow vs. other mainstream sports (due to the sport's height requirement). It's too easy to ride a generational player to multiple deep playoff runs and les in the sport.

A solution might be to the extend the game to 60 minutes, like hockey. And like hockey, this would result in stars not being able to play 90 percent to 100 percent of the game. A lot of lip service is given to how important the bench is in the NBA, but it really isn't that important. Increasing to 60 minutes would hopefully marginalize stars somewhat and place more importance on the bench and thus team building. "But a 60 minute clock would take 3-1/2 hours to play." I think you could offset that issue with not calling as many fouls.

Never happen, of course. I think the NBA found their formula for the style of gameplay that works best in the age of social media.

Believe.
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Just bring back defense

Thread Information